• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: Phil Spencer suggests Scorpio will not cost more than $599

Markoman

Wow, the level of delusion is strong in this thread.
Let me remind some of you that MS currently sells the XboxOne S 2TB for 399,-$.
How are they going to sell a machine that is 4x as powerful with a 1 TB HDD or more for 399,-€ next fall?
With Scorpios specs I can't see a 50$ price difference to Pro neither. Pro needs to be 100$ cheaper.
499$ is my bet but I'm pretty sure that price will go down very fast at least in Europe.

border

How are they going to sell a machine that is 4x as powerful with a 1 TB HDD or more for 399,-€ next fall?

Including extra 1.5TB storage to the X1S does not add an additional $100 in manufacturing costs. They are following the Apple strategy of charging a premium price for extra storage so they can have better margins on high-end models.

It doesn't make any sense to compare the Scorpio of tomorrow to the X1S 2TB model of today.

Some of you are dreaming. There is no chance in hell that this thing is $399. This isn't just a decent GPU upgrade like what Sony did.

This is more RAM, a big GPU upgrade and an entirely new processor, both of which are based on architecture that isn't here yet. Assuming the things we've been hearing are accurate of course.

If we're lucky it will be $500. This has been pushed as a "premium" console. I think that makes it pretty clear what price bracket it's meant to fall into.

Some of you are dreaming. There is no chance in hell that this thing is $399. This isn't just a decent GPU upgrade like what Sony did.

This is more RAM, a big GPU upgrade and an entirely new processor, both of which are based on architecture that isn't here yet. Assuming the things we've been hearing are accurate of course.

If we're lucky it will be $500. This has been pushed as a "premium" console. I think that makes it pretty clear what price bracket it's meant to fall into.

Let it be $50~99 more then the xbone s you're getting some good hardware with it.

Memnoch

whatever the price I'm buying it day one.

Do not price the lowest scorpio sku higher than the $399 PS4 pro.

It's really that simple. If they insist on charging $499 for a "premium" xbone, I think it's going to be a hard sell to the general public.

$250 0.5TB Xbone S
$399 1TB Xbone Scorpio
$499 2TB Xbone Scorpio w/ elite controller?

That's more reasonable IMO.

How much does a 6 teraflops gpu cost these days?

How much ram does it have?

Does it come with a hard drive and bd drive.
The math isn't there for me.
They can't price match the pro.

It'll be around 499$.

N30RYU

PS4 Pro won't compete against the One S... will compete for a looong year against MS Scoprio PR... so at this point I expect MS to even say Scorpio is gonna make native 8K and be free if they can prevent the leak from being bigger and bigger in that looong year they have ahead.

wachie

A windows license is closer to 90 bucks right now, and the Scorpio is rumoured to push 6 TFLOPS, so you'd need a 1070 to match, not a 1050. So not a fair comparison.

I'm sticking with my PC though.
With a 1070, you'll be blowing away Scorpio. RX480/1060 is a more fair comparison.

etta

my hard graphic balls
2017 - Pro2 - $399
2017 - Scorpio - <600
200x200px-ZC-1c38e9e2_jordan-laugh-o.gif

ethomaz

Banned
How much does a 6 teraflops gpu cost these days?

How much ram does it have?

Does it come with a hard drive and bd drive.
The math isn't there for me.
They can't price match the pro.

It'll be around 499$.
Just to response one of your questions.

There isn't actually any 6TFs GPU from AMD... there is no way to know cost for something that doesn't exists.

Let's hope AMD releases Vega with a better perf/watt before late 2017 because if that didn't happen MS will have a lot of trouble to design this Scorpio 6TFs chip. Not forgetting the chances of Zen be ready for APUs in late 2017 is small.

Norse

Will Scorpio include a hololens at launch or will they launch separately to keep price down?

$499 bare bones
$699 w/hololens

Novocaine

Fully expecting Scorpio to be sold at a loss. If they want to try and close the gap between themselves and Sony then I think they will have to. I guess how much of a loss is the question.

Will Scorpio include a hololens at launch or will they launch separately to keep price down?

$499 bare bones
$699 w/hololens

Dude Hololens will be quite a bit more than that. The dev kits are in the thousands. Remember that it's a fully standalone piece of tech.

Also I don't think we will see it used for gaming that much.

Head.spawn

With Scorpios specs I can't see a 50$ price difference to Pro neither. Pro needs to be 100$ cheaper.
499$ is my bet but I'm pretty sure that price will go down very fast at least in Europe.

There is a lot of wiggle room in that 2TB bundle.

Mods changed it for a laugh

Sure. Why not?

;)

Concerning the price. Everything between $399 and $599 is possible. And would sell if the console delivers specs-wise. I know the market would prefer $399, but I for one would be much more tempted by a real high-end console.

399$ would be a dream come true but I'm expecting 499$. As long as it isn't higher than 499$ I'll all the way in on day one.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The Scorpio specs sound good now, but they won't be as good next year when it launches, but perhaps that's why they're waiting -- cost, and more 4K TV adoption.

I just really hope that CPU isn't from a tablet.

But why should I give a shit about the price of a PS4 Pro? These consoles won't be equals. If they were offering the same specs, same experience, same features etc etc; I could see the point. If not...?

Also, that #1 applies double for the PS4 Pro, right?

If there is a noticeable quality and performance delta, I'm sure people will be willing to throw up cash. That $399 spot worked wonders for Sony, but there was a lot more to it than that. Not everything needs to hit that exactly though.

There is no possible performance delta that would warrant launching the Scorpio at $499 when the Pro could be selling for $349 at that time. If these were two new consoles expected to run their proper games, sure! However, they are not.

Top Bottom