• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: Phil Spencer suggests Scorpio will not cost more than $599

The God

It's a premmium product, it says right there in the article, why the Hell are people debating if it's going to be $400? It's going to be $500, the Xbone launched at that price. And no, even if it's a year later than the PS4 Pro, it will have a a 4K BD player which also raises the price.

The word "Premium" doesn't really mean anything. People used that word to support the idea that the PS4 Pro would be beyond $399, and look what happened. All that matters is that it's more expensive than XBO.

I'm in on Scorpio either way, but I'm really curious to see how Microsoft handles that.

I think smartphones are really the go-to example that the iterative approach can work. Every year we get new iOS/Android devices at a "premium" price, yet they use the same games and apps that the old model does.

If I had to guess, I'd say that they'll go all in on how much the Scorpio can do for graphical effects. They can show games side-by-side and really drive home that Xbox One S gets the same games and content, but with less graphical flair. Combine that with something like Oculus VR support and a reasonable price and I think they have a strong argument for why people should want Scorpio.

Ya im in too but still, it worries me. Id love to have a Halo game that takes full advantage of that hardware but because it also has to work on the regular xbox one, it probably will never fully take advantage of the scorpio HW.

Kacho

It's a premmium product, it says right there in the article, why the Hell are people debating if it's going to be $400? It's going to be $500, the Xbone launched at that price. And no, even if it's a year later than the PS4 Pro, it will have a a 4K BD player which also raises the price.

I agree that it will likely be $499 since it's a premium product that's primarily marketed towards enthusiast at launch. With that said, if Microsoft is interested in capturing a larger audience out of the gate then they'll have to have a cheaper sku available. Something like a 500GB model without a BD player or whatever. I don't think it's totally out of the question at this point.

Lone Wolf

4K BD player is in a $299 Xbox right now. Its about a $15 dollar difference between the BD drive and 4K BD drive. next year it will be even smaller. If the Scorpio comes with a Jaguar CPU, it will be $399.

gatti-man

I agree that it will likely be $499 since it's a premium product that's primarily marketed towards enthusiast at launch. With that said, if Microsoft is interested in capturing a larger audience out of the gate then they'll have to have a cheaper sku available. Something like a 500GB model without a BD player or whatever. I don't think it's totally out of the question at this point.

People need to stop with the BD is cheaper than UHD myth. The cost is entirely negligible. The only reason the stand alone players are more expensive is due to tha hardware they need which gaming machines already come with. That and just profit taking.

Do not price the lowest scorpio sku higher than the $399 PS4 pro.

It's really that simple. If they insist on charging $499 for a "premium" xbone, I think it's going to be a hard sell to the general public.

$250 0.5TB Xbone S
$399 1TB Xbone Scorpio
$499 2TB Xbone Scorpio w/ elite controller?

That's more reasonable IMO.

etta

my hard graphic balls
The only way I see $400 is if it still has the Jaguar CPU, in which case the GPU will be bottlenecked.
Jaguar/Puma can't drive VR at 1200p/90fps so unless they are building their own headset like Sony did to tailor it to weaker specs, it's not happening.

As minor as higher resolutions and ultra settings, like between xbox one and PC?

Yep. Still the same assets and tech. If you think that the general public can appreciate the differences between an Xbox One and a PS4 version of a game...well, I have a bridge to sell you. Hide the consoles and ask them which is which, you would be surprised at the "conflicting" answers. And, by the way, I was not touching on the gap that will no doubt be significant between the Scorpio and the Xbox One. I was making reference to the gap between the Scorpio and the Pro. And I do not think that it would justify pricing the former at $499...That would be suicidal.

Yoday

The only way I see $400 is if it still has the Jaguar CPU, in which case the GPU will be bottlenecked.
The price is dictated by the size/yield of the APU, why would the architecture of the CPU affect the price? I'm still trying to wrap my head around why people think the Scorpio is going to cost so much more than a PS4 did in 2013. An APU with a modest sized CPU and a 6TF GPU in 2017 shouldn't be much larger than the XBO APU was in 2013, and 12GB of GDDR5 RAM in 2017 will likely cost the same or less than the 8GB of GDDR5 the PS4 had in 2013. So, what exactly is ballooning the price in people's eyes?

RoKKeR

With the way he talks about the "progression" of the One S pricing + the fact that the $400 2TB version of the One S is a "limited edition" model, $399 would definitely line up with what he's talking about.

I'd expect that or $449.

-hadouken

The best thing that could happen to consumers is the $399 price point of the PS4 Pro (which might be even lower by the time Scorpio releases)
I'd bet my house on the Pro being reduced from $399 at the launch of Scorpio. Clearly it was designed with price wars in mind.

ElFly

I assume Microsoft won't be stupid enough to launch at $500 again

but $450 is a price point they haven't tried yet

-hadouken

But it's a different kind of launch that doesn't need to take the low end of the market into consideration. Premium products can work if the average consumer has something targeted to them.

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member

but $450 is a price point they haven't tried yet

As many have already said since it's a premium product I don't think we are going to see that $400 price range, which I don't mind. If the product can do true 4K 60fps like they say it can, then I don't mind paying $550 or even $600 for one...well that's just me.

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
4K 30fps, sure. No chance of native 4K 60 in my view.

Well that's why I said "like they say it can", I too don't think that it's going to hit 4K 60 fps but I usually take a wait and see approach to these type of things, who knows maybe they can surprise us.

Fredrik

Do not price the lowest scorpio sku higher than the $399 PS4 pro.

It's really that simple. If they insist on charging $499 for a "premium" xbone, I think it's going to be a hard sell to the general public.

$250 0.5TB Xbone S
$399 1TB Xbone Scorpio
$499 2TB Xbone Scorpio w/ elite controller?

That's more reasonable IMO.
Yup, Sony will likely lower the price next year so if $399 means that MS will sell Scorpio at a loss then so be it, they simply can't go above that, if Sony goes for $349 next year then MS needs to be very close to that or they'll just repeat the XB1 launch issues.

Deadbeat

Banned
If MS was crazy (but wants to show they will do what it takes to win), price match the neo. Would be something for the ages.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
"Not more than $599" means $599.

DBT85

Well that's why I said "like they say it can", I too don't think that it's going to hit 4K 60 fps but I usually take a wait and see approach to these type of things, who knows maybe they can surprise us.

It'll be the same as every generation. The hardware can do 4k60 and you'll get it on all the games where it's important to developers to hit it. In all the ones where it isn't you'll get 30 or worse 30 ish.

It's like some people are intentionally setting themselves up to be disappointed and/or pissed. Spencer said not over $600...so it could be as high as $599. If a number that high is already on the table...I'm not sure why people are banking on $300 or $400. I'd be happy to be wrong for sure, but it doesn't seem like a realistic expectation.

Phil didn't say it wouldn't go over 600, he said he feels like there can't be a huge price gap between scorpio and the S because people would think they are not from the same family, and said that they didn't designed the console to have an extraordinarily high price (like its specs would suggest).

Here's the full quote again:

“So you can see the price of the S today. When we designed both of these, which we kind of designed it in parallel. We thought about the price performance of what we wanted to hit with the Scorpio, relative to what we were going to be able to do with the S. So that we would have a good price continuum, so people wouldn’t look at these two things as so disconnected because of the price delta,” Spencer explains. “So I think you will feel like it’s a premium product, a premium console. And not something, anything more than that. So I wouldn’t get people worried that this thing is going to be unlike any console price you’ve ever seen. We didn’t design it that way. That said, the opening price point for the Xbox One S, and the different hard drive sizes that is a critical part of this whole product. When I think about it as a product line, you should expect the pricing to kind of be in line with that.”

If anything he's making it pretty obvious they won't go over the pro launch price.

spwolf

Phil didn't say it wouldn't go over 600, he said he feels like there can't be a huge price gap between scorpio and the S because people would think they are not from the same family, and said that they didn't designed the console to have an extraordinarily high price (like its specs would suggest).

Here's the full quote again:

If anything he's making it pretty obvious they won't go over the pro launch price.

he literally said it wont be like anything we have never seen before, which I assume he said that it wont go over $599 of PS3.

Crayon

Yep. Still the same assets and tech. If you think that the general public can appreciate the differences between an Xbox One and a PS4 version of a game...well, I have a bridge to sell you. Hide the consoles and ask them which is which, you would be surprised at the "conflicting" answers. And, by the way, I was not touching on the gap that will no doubt be significant between the Scorpio and the Xbox One. I was making reference to the gap between the Scorpio and the Pro. And I do not think that it would justify pricing the former at $499...That would be suicidal.

This. This gap is not any greater than between the ps4 and the pro or the gap between the ps4 and xb1.

Those expecting a "monster" (or a Messiah for the truly devout) are going to be disappointed.

Renekton

Here's a prebuilt PC with better specs than that for $720

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HNBLHAA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

More than $600, but shows that a $600 Scorpio would be way overpriced a year from now. $499 is the absolute limit for a machine that won't have any exclusive (non-VR) games for several years. And even that is pushing it, since it will still be a weak 4K machine (compared to what 4K ACTUALLY requires).
RX480 is weaker than Scorpio's GPU

This aint going any lower then $499, it's a given. If it has an UHD drive then it could go up to $599.

I'm not surprised people demand the lowest possible price with the best possible specs/features or it's a deal breaker. Premium tech cost money you're not willing to pay. All the shit PS4 got for no UHD Drive in order to keep the price as low for these people, yeesh.

Josman

4K BD player is in a $299 Xbox right now. Its about a $15 dollar difference between the BD drive and 4K BD drive. next year it will be even smaller. If the Scorpio comes with a Jaguar CPU, it will be $399.

It will need a new GPU architecture, a bigger die and thermal envelope, plus $10 more for a 4K BD. Phil Spencer is saying it right there in the interview, it's a premmium console, that's the reason games will be compatible with the Xbone, so consumers have a choice.

thuway

One thing is for damn sure, the profit margins on the Scorpio will be far less than PS4 Pro. Sony will need to be proactive if Microsoft pulls a !($399)! jack in the box. They'll need to retain that momentum.

Also if it's 500 or cheaper, I expect this thing to stick with Jaguar.

This. This gap is not any greater than between the ps4 and the pro or the gap between the ps4 and xb1.

Those expecting a "monster" (or a Messiah for the truly devout) are going to be disappointed.

It'll be exactly this generation's power ratio advantages reversed. Kind of ironic if you think about it.

Why would a UHD drive cost 100 bucks extra? XB1S already has one.
And one could even argue, Microsoft purchasing the drives in mass in 2016 is going to help further drive costs down,.

ElFly

But it's a different kind of launch that doesn't need to take the low end of the market into consideration. Premium products can work if the average consumer has something targeted to them.

they still gotta build a certain amount of consoles to hit a decent buying price

just because they are premium doesn't mean they will be happy with a warehouse full of $599 Scorpios they can't sell

then again, think that many of the people who wanted a console and were able to pay up to $499 may already bought a Xbone. they cannot be planning on selling them a console _again_ to all those people

The price is dictated by the size/yield of the APU, why would the architecture of the CPU affect the price? I'm still trying to wrap my head around why people think the Scorpio is going to cost so much more than a PS4 did in 2013. An APU with a modest sized CPU and a 6TF GPU in 2017 shouldn't be much larger than the XBO APU was in 2013, and 12GB of GDDR5 RAM in 2017 will likely cost the same or less than the 8GB of GDDR5 the PS4 had in 2013. So, what exactly is ballooning the price in people's eyes?

Zen is supposed to be a bigger and newer CPU, which would make the APU bigger and more complex and thus more expensive.

Head.spawn

Because :

1- It is not a true next generation console, as it will ever be hindered by the Xbox One millstone. You do not charge customers as much for games that will be released accross multiples systems with only minor perceptible differences.

2- The PS Pro will have its price brought down, at least for $50 by the time the Scorpio launches.

3- The market has made it abundantly clear that $399 is the sweet spot for fast adoption.

But why should I give a shit about the price of a PS4 Pro? These consoles won't be equals. If they were offering the same specs, same experience, same features etc etc; I could see the point. If not...?

Also, that #1 applies double for the PS4 Pro, right?

If there is a noticeable quality and performance delta, I'm sure people will be willing to throw up cash. That $399 spot worked wonders for Sony, but there was a lot more to it than that. Not everything needs to hit that exactly though.

barit

Can't wait to see how MS will try everything to convince the consumers to wait for the Scorpio a whole year when in the meantime Sony will reach one milestone after another with PS4Pro and PSVR. And on top of that Nintendo comes around the corner with NX too.

Reminds me on Trump vs. Hillary somehow. Say anything just to stay relevant.

399 would definitely work, but how long can they take a beating while losing money on consoles sold? I doubt MS is very happy about that idea. So probably 499, and does that even cover the specs that they are throwing out there?

The worst part is the date when it comes out. Really late in the cycle. Just a weird generation for Microsoft.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Can't wait to see how MS will try everything to convince the consumers to wait for the Scorpio a whole year when in the meantime Sony will reach one milestone after another with PS4Pro and PSVR. And on top of that Nintendo comes around the corner with NX too.

Reminds me on Trump vs. Hillary somehow. Say anything just to stay relevant.

Ok that's enough GAF for me tonight.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
As many have already said since it's a premium product I don't think we are going to see that $400 price range, which I don't mind. If the product can do true 4K 60fps like they say it can, then I don't mind paying $550 or even $600 for one...well that's just me.

Microsoft said Scorpio can do 4k. They said nothing about 60fps

RedRum

Banned
Ah. I'm pretty sure I would shell out $600 for this thing IF the specs were worth it, had an amazing launch lineup, and was VR compatible.

Top Bottom