• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS:Sony Will Show “More than Ten” PS4 Titles at Tokyo Game Show(dont hype)

harSon

Banned
Where in the hell did all of this panic come from when it comes to triple A titles from Sony?

It's the same reason people panicked about Microsoft regarding games after focusing on entertainment for a conference. People put stock into what a company publicly pushes, and for two straight conferences, Sony has put massive stock into non-AAA games, particularly with its last conference where they were nearly its complete focus. Basically, people are short sighted. Like gaming for Micrososft, AAA development is a given with Sony, so it makes sense to push something untraditional - or in this case - Indie style games. It's a preconceived notion that Sony is going to bring AAA games to its platform, so why waste your efforts on the already assumed and potentially bury Indie gaming, instead of potentially propping up the latter? The same for Microsoft and the Xbox One's Entertainment features.

JawzPause

erm...
EXP2uKU.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well for 2014 where are the AAA games? Infamous and the Order are two but where are the rest?

We're in September now, so they need to get a move on if they have any more games to be announced.

The two AAA games they have revealed aren't that interesting to me so I need to see more. Hence my post.

Quite honestly the days of SCE announcing things years early are dead. You're going to see much more "announce and release within the same year." In the long run, it's smarter because games will be shown closer to their final state and not some pipe dream like Last Guardian was.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I hope there's more AAA games revealed here. I can't say I'm going to buy a highly expensive console for indie games to put it bluntly.
To put it bluntly, you have a funny way of getting value out of your purchases.

For the upgrade in RAM alone, I'd rather play indie games on the "expensive console" than on existing 7-8 yr old hardware. Better investment of my money all around.

Hindle

Banned
Quite honestly the days of SCE announcing things years early are dead. You're going to see much more "announce and release within the same year." In the long run, it's smarter because games will be shown closer to their final state and not some pipe dream like Last Guardian was.

After GT 5, TLG, Vs 13, and Agent it's great they've finally figured it out.

Still a major new AAA IP from Santa Monica will need 18 months of Pr and coverage. The same goes for any big new Ip really.

Edit. Which means these big games that Sony have to reveal for next year, need to be announced at some point in the next 3 months.

TriGen

Deep Down gameplay impressions will be interesting. At the very least that's something new game-wise to look forward to.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Still a major new AAA IP from Santa Monica will need 18 months of Pr and coverage. The same goes for any big new Ip really.

Edit. Which means these big games that Sony have to reveal for next year, need to be announced at some point in the next 3 months.
Titanfall will only have been announced for 9 months or so between E3 and release.

Freki

Really? And I thought Titanfall is the most hyped game on the planet right now and it'll be released 9-12 months after it's announcement...
Are there any laws stating how early you have to announce something?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

No, it really doesn't. GT6 is one of Sony's biggest games and will be released within 7 months of original announcement. You can expect some things to be shown at the VGAs, however, that should see release in Fall 2014.

Hindle

Banned
Titanfall will only have been announced for 9 months or so between E3 and release.

Watch Dogs however was announced last E3 and releases November and I'd put Titanfall down for a June release making a year between announce and release.

I think Sony have one last AAA game for next year to announce and I'm thinking it's UC 4 at the VGAs.

I'm not hyped. I feel like I have already accepted what could be just another batch of unannounced games. Whether it be AA or AAA or indies.. It's games.. I'm more concerned about getting my PS4 now.

Hindle

Banned
No, it really doesn't. GT6 is one of Sony's biggest games and will be released within 7 months of original announcement. You can expect some things to be shown at the VGAs, however, that should see release in Fall 2014.

I said any new IP.

Assuming Sony are launching a few AAA new games next year, they'll need to be announcing them this year for them to make next year.

As I stated earlier UC 4 I think will be Sonys last AAA game for next year and it will be announced at the VGAs.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I said any new IP.

Assuming Sony are launching a few AAA new games next year, they'll need to be announcing them this year for them to make next year.

As I stated earlier UC 4 I think will be Sonys last AAA game for next year and it will be announced at the VGAs.

Even for a new IP, 18 months seems excessive. If you look at Watch Dogs, Ubisoft waited many months after E3 2012 before even talking about/showing the game again.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
(Re: Demon's Souls 2) No clue. Hopefully high. I don't know anything about it, but it seems to keep coming up among the GAF insiders.
Keeps coming up among the GAF dreamers, more like.

From's under contract with a different company for a series of games that are near-as-damn blood brothers to Demon's Souls. Bandai-Namco's not going to let them trot on back to Sony to make a game that cannibalizes the fanbase they explicitly commissioned From in order to gain.

This is very smart because they've learned their lesson from announcing titles too prematurely.
I also like the new strategy of revealing games closer to their actual release date. Announcing a game only to delay it is extremely frustrating for gamers. The wait for GT5 literally killed me... I was dead, and then Thanksgiving rolled around and Sony managed to get the paddles on my chest and bring me back to life.

Hindle

Banned

From's under contract with a different company for a series of games that are near-as-damn blood brothers to Demon's Souls. Bandai-Namco's not going to let them trot on back to Sony to make a game that cannibalizes the fanbase they explicitly commissioned From in order to gain.

I doubt From will want to go back to working on an IP they don't own either.

Edit. I'm glad I'm not the only guy sceptical of that rumour.

Kiyo

Am I missing something? Just because they haven't listed which 4 other games will be playable doesn't mean we don't already know about them.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Am I missing something? Just because they haven't listed which 4 other games will be playable doesn't mean we don't already know about them.
Shhh. Shhh, shhh, shhhh. The time for reason has passed. Just let the hype wash over you.

Its like you should just expect people to be bashing indie games in any Sony conference thread from now on

Here is the thing, what would you rather have. A mix of big budget titles and Indie Games, or just Big Budget titles and hardly any Indie Games?

Look at what the Xbox One has revealed in the last three conferences. At E3, it was games, games, games. Then at Gamescom, it was all the same games they revealed at E3. Then at PAX, even after Major Nelson tweeting exciting news and "game announcements I am not at liberty to divulge, yet" it was the same games once again. The exciting game announcements? Titanfall and Lococycle are available to play on the show floor, 2 games announced at E3.

Now look at Sony, they reveal their bigger budget titles at E3, have the Indie Games Blowout at Gamescom announcing tons of new titles, in addition to having playable demos of all the games revealed at E3. Finally, at Pax, more Indie Games are announced, in addition to being able to play all the titles at E3.

So I am getting a feeling that some people are just hating on Indie Games because it is something the PS4 has that is easy to try and attack. As a gamer, people should be really excited about these titles. Any Indie Game, on either system, could be the next big thing that everyone has to have. Any Indie Developer could end up having a studio that grows and creates a very successful big budget title in the future.

Just because Sony is focusing on Indie Games, doesn't mean their AAA First Party studios are evaporating in thin air. All of Sony's First Party Studios are working on PS4 games, they didn't just close shop because Sony is courting Indie Developers and announcing new Indie Games at every conference around the world.

It is getting pretty much embarrassing at this point when people start dissecting and bashing Sony's Indie Focus. They are not the only Focus. Sony has put themselves in a great position to reveal games, one by one, throughout the next year. Take a look at how many Xbox One Exclusives were promised by the end of next year, a majority of them have already been revealed. This doesn't really leave Microsoft with a lot of big surprise announcements to hype up gamers in the near future.

Meanwhile, Sony has a stable of 1st Party Devs working on all kinds of secret titles that just generate hype at each conference with gamers hoping to hear whats next. Sure, the Indie Titles aren't going to sell systems on their own. But the Indie TItles, in addition to the games that have been announced, in addition to the games we know will be announced from Sony's AAA 1st Party Developers together will sell systems AND make gamers more comfortable in opening their wallet for a PS4 for the next year to come.

Hindle

Banned
Even for a new IP, 18 months seems excessive. If you look at Watch Dogs, Ubisoft waited many months after E3 2012 before even talking about/showing the game again.

I think the purpose of the E3 reveal is to generate intrigue amongst gamers. Then they go silent so we "the audience" are left wanting more. This way people are speculating and talking for months on end which generates more interest in the IP.

It is an effective way to sell a new IP IMO, and if I remember Watch Dogs was being talked about for months after.

I-hate-u

The 4 titles I want to be shown are:

Yakuza

The Last Guardian

Demon's Souls 2

Shadow of the Clossus Online

I hope we get some info from Verendus, famous, Thuway or GopherD. TGS and September 9 are close wand we have not heard anything from them.

You do realize Namco doesn't control From, right?

Top Bottom