• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired at Police during Dallas Police anti-violence protest (5 officers killed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patapuf

They get that privilege because the population doesn't have ludicrously easy access to weaponry.

The number of fatal police shootings in the US is ridiculously high for a developed country. Plenty of other countries have high gun ownership and nowhere near those numbers.

Of course not all of the problems resulting in those numbers are on the cops, but i really doubt that there is no margin of improvement there.

JP_

Banned
There are plenty of weapons in the hands of criminals here though.
O1vlMmm.jpg

holygeesus

Banned
i'm sure the isis types love the fact that most of the cops they would encounter are disarmed.

That is why when you walk through London armed police are pretty much everywhere. If ISIS target Leamington Spa though there would be carnage admittedly.

I didn't specify guns. Either way, over here it tends to be farmers and criminals who have all the guns. I wasn't saying we have as many but they are pretty easy to get hold of on the black market if you wanted one.

We have the same rates of crime here (higher I think) and the police have to cope with that without the luxury of the protection of a weapon.

He does have a point but probably the wrong day to make it. I'm not saying there isn't racist UK police officers, but they certainly give off a different attitude when you have dealings with them. It points to deep flaws at the recruiting and training stages.
I see tons of new recruits that only want to hunt and hurt. I see veteran officers who harass poor people all day to further their career. There's definitely a problem.

I apologize for the slight derail, but does anyone have an article about this?

Did some searching and four of them pled guilty and have been sentenced between a year and a year and two months in prison. The fifth one went to trial and the jury found him not guilty. And before you ask, yes the jury was entirely white. But he's since been arrested again and this time it'll be in state court.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe the guy who was shot took it so calmly.
I guess since it wasn't vital the adrenaline masked some of the pain. Kind of like that one civilian lady who got hit in the Dallas shooting. Her friend said the first thing she did was secure her children and only really noticed she got hit in the leg afterwards.

On a semi-related note, this general trigger happiness seems completely insane from this side of the globe. I remember an incident on our version of COPS where they saw someone being publicly intoxicated and when they approached him the drunk guy jokingly mimicked a pistol with his hands, shouted "Pull!" and the coppers just laughed and took him to the drunk tank. Seems like that guy would've been nuked in the States.

I guess since it wasn't vital the adrenaline masked some of the pain. Kind of like that one civilian lady who got hit in the Dallas shooting. Her friend said the first thing she did was secure her children and only really noticed she got hit in the leg afterwards.

On a semi-related note, this general trigger happiness seems completely insane from this side of the globe. I remember an incident on our version of COPS where they saw someone being publicly intoxicated and when they approached him the drunk guy jokingly mimicked a pistol with his hands, shouted "Pull!" and the coppers just laughed and took him to the drunk tank. Seems like that guy would've been nuked in the States.

Well seems like something did nerve damage too since he said he lost feeling in his legs which probably helped.

Are you allowed to carry guns in your country though? I would think you're a lot more relaxed when guns aren't that common so it would be really rare to have someone actually carrying a pistol.

Laz-E-Boy

I've been around GAF for a while now.

This is, hands down and without compare, the worst thing I've ever read on this forum. This makes me sick to read, and this kind of thought process is on the same level of toxin that the far-right extremists use.

I'm done here.

I read a post where someone anonymously confessed to failing a student just because they were black.

I read a post where someone claimed that Sandy Hook was a hoax.

I read a post where someone claimed that the Holocaust was greatly exaggerated to garner sympathy.

Someone describing their definition of racism is nowhere near the worst I've seen.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh dear David. This is why you shouldn't tweet after a 'day out' at Wimbledon.

He does have a point but probably the wrong day to make it. I'm not saying there isn't racist UK police officers, but they certainly give off a different attitude when you have dealings with them. It points to deep flaws at the recruiting and training stages.

It's also super gross if she never implied she wanted to sleep with them.

No, racism is about the perpetuation of white supremacy. A black person can not engage in racism*** because they do not have the institutional power of white supremacy behind them. While Micah Johnson's actions were designed to attack a group of people beyond the ones he personally killed via fear and intimidation, these killings are not a part of a systematic violent oppression of whites because no such system exists.

The rebranding of anti-white rhetoric and violence by black radicals as "racism" is a right-wing tactic designed to dilute the meaning of the word. These killings were not hate crimes. They were not a part of a pattern of genocidal actions. They were 'just' murder. Perhaps terrorism.

***Johnson was no doubt prejudiced and discriminatory. But that's not the same as racism.
I agree minorities really can't participate in institutional racism in the United States because there is no inherent power here. However, individual acts can be racist by anyone.

These killings are obviously hate crimes. The killer stated he hated white people and sought to kill them specifically. That is targeting due to race and an actual act to deprave people of their rights.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Well seems like something did nerve damage too since he said he lost feeling in his legs which probably helped.
Poor guy. Shouldn't have followed the cop's order to get his licence and, most importantly, not resist!
Are you allowed to carry guns in your country though? I would think you're a lot more relaxed when guns aren't that common so it would be really rare to have someone actually carrying a pistol.
Nah, it's Germany, so you can check where civilian gun ownership is on that chart above. I'd assume they'd be less relaxed if our guns weren't strictly regulated too, but luckily they are. Police are only allowed to use their guns as a last resort too and whenever they fire even a single shot, an officer from internal affairs is sent to the scene to investigate how justified it was.
It's what the Dallas police chief Brown quoted the shooter saying.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Poor guy. Shouldn't have followed the cop's order to get his licence and, most importantly, not resist!

Nah, it's Germany, so you can check where civilian gun ownership is on that chart above. I'd assume they'd be less relaxed if our guns weren't strictly regulated too, but luckily they are. Police are only allowed to use their guns as a last resort too and whenever they fire even a single shot, an officer from internal affairs is sent to the scene to investigate how justified it was.

It's what the Dallas police chief Brown quoted the shooter saying.

The "exterminate" word used wasn't used by the police chief as far as I know, but I won't bother arguing over this.

holygeesus

Banned

This hasn't been posted for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06J-W8IAQfE

It sort of feels like people that insist on calling him racist are trying to keep score. Like they've been losing the racism battle and this is how they can finally get on the scoreboard. Sure, it fits a technical definition of racism but it's clearly different and it conflates itself with the larger issues in a way that muddies the discussion.

I agree. If some racist maniac decided to shoot a bunch of people specifically due to the color of their skin, it's racism, pure and simple. To muddle this into a battle of semantics is to ignore our accountability as human beings to treat each other with respect regardless of race.

Mr. X

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-beating-non-violent-man-during-2014-n506176

"are you hit?"

Motherfucker you were shooting him in the chest from like 2 feet away. Can't believe the guy who was shot took it so calmly.

Here is the update on Derek Price (the gif police beating) http://www.wuft.org/news/2016/04/20...-deputies-sentenced-in-derrick-price-beating/

My favorite part

The acquittal
Jesse Terrell is a free man.

In the surveillance video, Terrell can be seen punching or kicking Price’s head more than 20 times. He took his case to trial, and an all-white jury of four men and eight women on April 8 found him not guilty of a civil rights violation. Theirs was a unanimous decision.

It sort of feels like people that insist on calling him racist are trying to keep score. Like they've been losing the racism battle and this is how they can finally get on the scoreboard. Sure, it fits a technical definition of racism but it's clearly different and it conflates itself with the larger issues in a way that muddies the discussion.

Or maybe people understand the difference of racism in an individual or an individual act versus institutional racism in society at large.

Of course this is racism based on the data we have. But also of course it is not institutional racism.

...that minorities can't possibly be racist because they are not in a position of power? Yeah, that is definitely a point worth dismissing.

I mean, there's a reason if my brown/black, latino/hispanic or asian friend says some funny but racist it's more 'hahaha', but if a white friend says it's more 'eeeehhhhh'. Less so if they're european but yeah.

Wait, what's so bad about that tweet?

Edit: Never mind, I overlooked the hashtag. Oh well!

I mean, oreo is used non sexually as well when there's a white person between to black/brown people.

BokehKing

Banned
So, basically...
- shooting in San Bernardino = terrorism
- shooting in Orlando = terrorism
- shooting in numerous schools/universities = mental health
- shooting in army barracks = mental health
- shooting of multiple black guys by police = racism
- shooting of white guy by police = trigger-happyism
- shooting in Dallas = racially motivated?/militantism?/mental health? etc?

I can't help feeling that the words on the right of that list, are somewhat less important than one word on the left.
Well the guy said he wanted to kill white people, sounds pretty racist to me, and people were calling it a terrorist attack all that night on several news stations while it was going on. Not in an international type of way, but in a "this is terrifying" type of way. (No one was implying Isis or muslims or anything like that like they usually do in these type of events)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
These sentiments were released during the Dallas press conferences. Sorry he stated: he was upset and wanted to kill whites. Specifically white officers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/09/us/dallas-police-shooting.html?_r=0

Edit: He used the word kill, not exterminate. But they're basically synonyms of course.

Don't want to elaborate too much on this, but this guy is former military, so you could frame his desire to "kill white officers" as a revenge attack on those he considered enemies as a result of them having killed black people. It's not clear that this can be labeled a racist attack.

His statement was basically that because white police officers killed black innocent people, he would now target them. That's pretty far from "wanted to exterminate white people".

BokehKing

Banned
Does anyone know where I can find a news archive from when it all broke?
Yeah, page 1 of this thread and start going through the pages, there is probably some useful links in this very thread.

Don't want to elaborate too much on this, but this guy is former military, so you could frame his desire to "kill white officers" as a revenge attack on those he considered enemies as a result of them having killed black people. It's not clear that this can be labeled a racist attack.

His statement was basically that because white police officers killed black innocent people, he would now target them. That's pretty far from "wanted to exterminate white people".

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/affN2mI.jpg[/IMG]
Impressive gymnastics friend!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

The suspect said he was upset at white people. The suspect stated he wanted to kill white people, especially white officers."

I mean come on dude. You came in here not even knowing what the police chief said and trying to give your opinion on what the shooters motives were.

Kathian

Banned
lol @ people calling this a racist attack. It's racist if White Cops Who Abuse Black Folk is now a race.

These cops were not involved in the incidents you are referring to. (I don't think this is a racist attack but an attach with racial motivation)

The police officers he targeted did not kill black people, for him to target INNOCENT people for the sake of some twisted sense of blanket revenge on white officers in general, that's basically racist on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom