• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Halo 6 keep or remove sprinting?

Gwyn

The only thing they need to remove is grenade hitmarkers and somehow fix spartan charge magnetism(?) not sure if that is the correct word here

Magwik

Banned
I really wish they would take note from Doom and accept that you don't need to change the fundamentals of a game to modernize it.

Halo 5 multiplayer is pretty great, some of the best in the series at a core mechanics level. However, I still think they need to look back to Halo 2 more and simplify the game. Understand more why Halo 2 was so beloved (and Halo 1/3 as well).

Get rid of sprint, just make the game faster. Yeah, going back to how slow Halo 3 was would be really hard these days, so just make it an exaggerated form of what people remember Halo 2 being. Fast. Like Doom. You don't need ADS in Halo because outside of scoped weapons it's not how the games worked. So don't do it. Make everything fire from the hip. Like Doom. You don't need Spartan Abilities and clamboring and jetpack boosters and shit. That wasn't Halo.

Halo is map control, power weapons, balance, basic power-ups, and a wealth and variety of awesome and goofy gametypes. Make it fast, get rid of the extra layers that don't need to be there. Don't be afraid to strip back and just make it what it's supposed to be. You know, like Doom.

There is a reason nobody plays DOOM's multiplayer or gives a shit about it. Its trash. So making it like the DOOM multiplayer that was developed by Certain Affinity is probably not the best advice.

MysteryM

Played halo 2, 3, reach and 5 constantly. Sprint is a good mechanic, however it takes away from the things that make halo 2 and 3 great. Build on what made 2/3 great but lose sprint is my vote.

I love halo 5 but it's not quite as good as 2 or 3.

Welfare

I just find it funny how 343 were SO adament and hell bent on keeping sprint after Reach and 4 that they made the movement system in 5 revolve around it because of CoD and now games are coming out that prove you don't need it at all.

I think at this point Halo 6 needs sprint because Halo 5's gameplay actually works and I don't want to deal with another Halo that plays drastically different to the last for the sake of being new.

Spartan charge balanced very well? When you can thrust and it curves and follows you? Or its ridiculous range lol

The only thing they need to remove is grenade hitmarkers and somehow fix spartan charge magnetism(?) not sure if that is the correct word here

Spartan Charge is definitely one of the things that need to be changed simply because there is a lock on mechanic with it.

You know how you sprint and see those brackets show up instead of a crosshair? When you sprint up to someone and they turn red, the Spartan charge locks onto them, which is stupid as hell.

I wouldn't mind keeping the charge if you only went in a straight line, and had a narrower hitbox than a normal melee. At least you could reliably dodge it that way

NeOak

Remove it. Gone. Maps gave to be designed with Sprint in mind.

Plus it allows people to escape confrontations. Got the jump on someone? Oh wait, they sprinted away.

Gwyn

Spartan Charge is definitely one of the things that need to be changed simply because there is a lock on mechanic with it.

You know how you sprint and see those brackets show up instead of a crosshair? When you sprint up to someone and they turn red, the Spartan charge locks onto them, which is stupid as hell.

I wouldn't mind keeping the charge if you only went in a straight line, and had a narrower hitbox than a normal melee. At least you could reliably dodge it that way

Yep exactly they need to make it so when you spartan charge you move in a straight line and it would be fine hope they listen to feedback

PeterGAF

Banned
I would prefer no sprint but it's here to stay. I don't mind how it is implemented in Halo 5.

Also it is worth noting that overwatch does have sprint. It's only for Soldier:76 but it's still there for those people who won't play an FPS without sprint. And there are also other characters with abilities that give quick bursts of speed like D.Va and Tracer. Probably a few more that I just can't remember at this very second.

Naked Lunch

Keep sprint but make it limited - add a sprint stamina meter. Running then jumping into a boost just feels too perfect in Halo 5's moveset to just get rid of it.

Someone off topic, but - Ive put 100s of hours into every Halo, including 5, and I actually think they thing that makes 5 feel a bit un-Halo is that the guns simply fire too fast. The damage of the guns are technically the same 4 shots as before - but the guns fire so much faster. You can drop someone in 4 shots so much quicker than other games. I think smaller Arena is 100% designed around this quicker gameplay but this is why Halo5's BR start Big Team feels so off. There is next to no time to react. The guns are too pinpoint accurate and fire too quickly. I love Halo 5 to death but there are improvements that can pull the game closer to the classics' feel.

Jaraghan

When Halo 5 was released, I would have argued sprinting should remain. After playing Doom 2016 and reliving the older Halo titles, 343 should just up the base movement speed. Keep clambering, thrusting, etc. though.

h5 is fun for what it is but it isnt really halo.

Annoys me when i hear people say this about any game franchise. For me halo is a game I play for custom games, firefight and good 4 vs 4 shooting. Halo 5 got these right and to me it is halo.

If you don't like it that's fine, but to dismiss it by saying 'it isn't really halo' is a lazy arguement.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Im ok with either i think. Halo5s sprinting that doesnt allow for shields to regen works fine imo but i think a halo with all these fantastic spartan abilities could work well without sprint too. Sorry for the non-answer

Bullshit does 5 feel like a CoD game.

Even more bullshit claiming 4 plays better.

How much of 5 have you played?

About 15 hours or so, people leaving ruined my experience of it. I went back to H3 on MCC after that. Did they ever enforce matchmaking bans for people who quit?

Keep sprint but make it limited - add a sprint stamina meter. Running then jumping into a boost just feels too perfect in Halo 5's moveset to just get rid of it.

Someone off topic, but - Ive put 100s of hours into every Halo, including 5, and I actually think they thing that makes 5 feel a bit un-Halo is that the guns simply fire too fast. The damage of the guns are technically the same 4 shots as before - but the guns fire so much faster. You can drop someone in 4 shots so much quicker than other games. I think smaller Arena is 100% designed around this quicker gameplay but this is why Halo5's BR start Big Team feels so off. There is next to no time to react. The guns are too pinpoint accurate and fire too quickly. I love Halo 5 to death but there are improvements that can pull the game closer to the classics' feel.

Halo 5's time to kill is actually fairly consistent across the franchise, maybe save for some of the tier 2 autos, the precision weapons don't kill faster than say Reach's no bloom setting DMR or Halo 2 BR (not even taking BXR or doubleshot into account).

About 15 hours or so, people leaving ruined my experience of it. I went back to H3 on MCC after that. Did they ever enforce matchmaking bans for people who quit?

They enforce heavy MM bans after the first week or so, one quit = ban.

nOoblet16

Sprint...But I wouldn't mind settling down for a sprint bar. As long as the refill works much like how the health works i.e. takes a second but immediately refills quickly after that. This would allow people to be able to suddenly avoid getting caught in the middle with no sprint but will also prevent people from running around the entire map non stop.

The ultimate question,

To sprint

or not to sprint.

Games like Overwatch and DOOM have shown us that sprinting isnt required to be a successful shooter these days, whilst some would say that Halo 5's current mechanics allow for that extra mobility whilst staying faithful to the old arena formula.

Say you've landed a hypothetical job as a gameplay designer, what decision would you make?
Both different games. Doom gets by because its default speed is still ridiculously higher than the sprint speed in every other game. Overwatch gets by because speed is dependant on your class etc with Genji and Tracer moving faster and even then Soldier 76 has sprint...There is no "one speed for all" as it was in Halo.

In Halo, the movement speed was awfully slow despite the fact that canonically the Spartans moved at 40-50 miles an hour or so (can't remember the number) but in gameplay they feel like slowpoke, to explain myself further the movement speed of ODSTs didn't really feel different from the movement speed of Chief in previous games eventhough on is a Spartan and others aren't. So unless they turn Halo into Doom with the speed to match I'd say keep the sprint.

Nowise10

Yep exactly they need to make it so when you spartan charge you move in a straight line and it would be fine hope they listen to feedback

Even with this change of removing the magnetism of SC, it still rewards people who blindly run into battles, which is its biggest issue.

Halo 5's time to kill is actually fairly consistent across the franchise, maybe save for some of the tier 2 autos, the precision weapons don't kill faster than say Reach's no bloom setting DMR or Halo 2 BR (not even taking BXR or doubleshot into account).

They enforce heavy MM bans after the first week or so, one quit = ban.

Is quitting still rampant though? It was extremely unenjoyable playing 2v4 and I don't play comp anymore so online is all I'd really bother with. Still have my CE just need an xb1 but would be interested if that was fixed.

I'm not sure they can go back to the older style now but if I had my way I would say strip Halo back to its basics. No spartan abilities, no loadouts, no sprinting. Just an arena based game where everyone spawns with the same weapon and you battle each other not only to win the game but to take their weapon. But to answer the question remove sprinting, I can't get into Halo 5.

Halo never needed sprint in the first place when the base movement is correct, reach and 4 were a little on the slow side.

Madness

Remove it. Sprinting and ADS brought no CoD viewers and games like Battlefront, Doom and Overwatch showed you can dominate without having to give ads guns or sprint. Make base speed faster, remove spartan charge and sprint, keep clamber and thrust and slide, maybe get rid of ground pound, remove the useless ADS sights and we gucci. Look how much better the magnum or even tactical magnum aiming looks compared to the base pistol with it's image blocking holographic overlay. I try and use H2 BR or classic BR whenever possible. That's just me though.

shoreu

I really wish they would take note from Doom and accept that you don't need to change the fundamentals of a game to modernize it.

Halo 5 multiplayer is pretty great, some of the best in the series at a core mechanics level. However, I still think they need to look back to Halo 2 more and simplify the game. Understand more why Halo 2 was so beloved (and Halo 1/3 as well).

Get rid of sprint, just make the game faster. Yeah, going back to how slow Halo 3 was would be really hard these days, so just make it an exaggerated form of what people remember Halo 2 being. Fast. Like Doom. You don't need ADS in Halo because outside of scoped weapons it's not how the games worked. So don't do it. Make everything fire from the hip. Like Doom. You don't need Spartan Abilities and clamboring and jetpack boosters and shit. That wasn't Halo.

Halo is map control, power weapons, balance, basic power-ups, and a wealth and variety of awesome and goofy gametypes. Make it fast, get rid of the extra layers that don't need to be there. Don't be afraid to strip back and just make it what it's supposed to be. You know, like Doom.

Going on your last paragraph halo is still all of these things. Map control, power weapons, (the best weapon balance the series has ever seen) , the same ole power ups , and a custom games browser that lets you play all the cookey stuff you want.

On spartan abilities They've improved the game so much and offer a whole new array of options that improves the game in a positive way and I don't see them ever going back.

I appreciate that they built inwards from a core of halo 2 and added on features that improve upon the core

I'm definitely not trying to single you out but you actually had a good constructive post that you don't see too often in halo threads.

Remove sprint 100%. Halo 5 feels like a CoD game. 4 even felt better to play. Halo needs to go back to the style of Halo 3. Perfect game IMO.

How does it feel like Cod and how does 4 feel better to play?

Nowise10

Remove it. Sprinting and ADS brought no CoD viewers and games like Battlefront, Doom and Overwatch showed you can dominate without having to give ads guns or sprint. Make base speed faster, remove spartan charge and sprint, keep clamber and thrust and slide, maybe get rid of ground pound, remove the useless ADS sights and we gucci. Look how much better the magnum or even tactical magnum aiming looks compared to the base pistol with it's image blocking holographic overlay. I try and use H2 BR or classic BR whenever possible. That's just me though.

How would you slide without sprint tho

Playing gametypes with no sprint, thrust, and the tactical magnum in customs are so much fun compared to the default gametypes

nOoblet16

I'm surprised that there are people STILL talking about Halo 5's ADS and how it ruins the game.

I mean wat? Unlike other games ADS in Halo doesn't affect accuracy/bullet spread compared to hip fire, it doesn't actually slows down the movement, nor can you keep aiming if you are being shot at. If anything ADS while engaging an enemy that is aware of you will put you at a disadvantage because you'll lose your aim and die. Using ADS for anything other than shooting enemies far off that aren't aware of you, is actually detrimental. Half of the weapons don't even do anything because they are useless at long range anyways which is where you'd likely use ADS for fine tuning your aim.

And let's not pretend that Battle Rifle and DMR didn't have this in past games, it was this same ADS that just looked different.

Keep. Add wall running while you're at it.

Wall running would be so janky in Halo, haha. What I would like to see is a double jump/wall jump. I also think ledge grabs should be quicker, other modern shooters do it better and it helps keep the flow and make you feel more agile.

I'm surprised that there are people STILL talking about Halo 5's ADS and how it ruins the game.

I mean wat? Unlike other games ADS in Halo doesn't change your accuracy/bullet spread compared to hip fire, nor does it actually slows down the game, and nor can you keep aiming if you are being shot at. If anything ADS while engaging an enemy that is aware of you will put you at a disadvantage because you'll lose your aim and die. Using ADS for anything other than shooting enemies far off that aren't aware of you, is actually detrimental. Half of the weapons don't even do anything because they are useless at long range anyways which is where you'd most likely use ADS for fine aim.

And let's not pretend that Battle Rifle and DMR didn't have this in past games, it was this same ADS that just looked different.

I don't disagree with you but the bolded is wrong. It actually does change those, just not nearly as much as your standard modern military shooter.

Hesemonni

Banned
I actually quite liked to added mobility from sprinting and climbing. In Halo 5 the encounters still felt tactical enough to feel like Halo instead of say CoD.

nOoblet16

Wall running would be so janky in Halo, haha. What I would like to see is a double jump/wall jump. I also think ledge grabs should be quicker, other modern shooters do it better and it helps keep the flow and make you feel more agile.

I don't disagree with you but the bolded is wrong. It actually does change those, just not nearly as much as your standard modern military shooter.
Well I've only ever used ADS with DMR, Carbine, Pistol and BR and whatever improvements I noticed were down to the fact that I could see and aim at far away targets better.

I don't mind sprint in Halo 5. The one thing I could do without is Spartan Charge, can be very annoying to deal with (though not even close to Armor Lock in Reach). I think with Halo 6 they will most likely look at all of the Halo 5 mechanics and probably rein some in for more balance.

shoreu

I mean wat? Unlike other games ADS in Halo doesn't affect accuracy/bullet spread compared to hip fire, it doesn't actually slows down the movement, nor can you keep aiming if you are being shot at. If anything ADS while engaging an enemy that is aware of you will put you at a disadvantage because you'll lose your aim and die. Using ADS for anything other than shooting enemies far off that aren't aware of you, is actually detrimental. Half of the weapons don't even do anything because they are useless at long range anyways which is where you'd likely use ADS for fine tuning your aim.

I feel they are being disingenuous. It's been a year now and people still call it ads when it's the same scope option from a different angle. People want to call it ADS for whatever reason but it's not.

If they keep it, I hope they nerf it harder so that you stop sprinting when getting shot. It's sorta sucks how sprinting away from a fight is a viable strategy. If you watch any pro halo, you see it all the time
Why is a "Quick retreat" option a bad thing?

Head.spawn

Games like Overwatch and DOOM have shown us that sprinting isnt required to be a successful shooter these days, whilst some would say that Halo 5's current mechanics allow for that extra mobility whilst staying faithful to the old arena formula.

Say you've landed a hypothetical job as a gameplay designer, what decision would you make?

Soldier 76 would be pretty shit without sprint.

Going on your last paragraph halo is still all of these things. Map control, power weapons, (the best weapon balance the series has ever seen) , the same ole power ups , and a custom games browser that lets you play all the cookey stuff you want.

On spartan abilities They've improved the game so much and offer a whole new array of options that improves the game in a positive way and I don't see them ever going back.

I appreciate that they built inwards from a core of halo 2 and added on features that improve upon the core

I'm definitely not trying to single you out but you actually had a good constructive post that you don't see too often in halo threads.

How does it feel like Cod and how does 4 feel better to play?

Coming from AW at the time, it felt very similar to me. A very familiar feel and it clicked right away. I was playing with an AW mindset and being successful with it. For me I prefered the 4 MP. Still if I have to rate them, 2>3=Reach>4>5.

jelly

I can see both sides. I think sprinting is a chore and distraction in FPS to get around but also, it feels likes its useful. I dunno, either way it would probably be fine.

Top Bottom