• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Halo 6 keep or remove sprinting?

shoreu

Coming from AW at the time, it felt very similar to me. A very familiar feel and it clicked right away. I was playing with an AW mindset and being successful with it. For me I prefered the 4 MP. Still if I have to rate them, 2>3=Reach>4>5.

AW mindset, More of a run in and shoot em up mindset?

That wouldn't be successful in high onyx play.

I can run around like a chicken with my head cut off when i'm playing people less skilled than me. but it's still very much halo and will punish people who {can't shoot, and who don't work together.}

Orayn

As much as I'd like a traditional style Halo along the lines of 3 or Reach, but 343 has their own vision for the series and they're really far down that path. I doubt they'll drop the various new Spartan abilities.

jelly

Remove it. Sprinting and ADS brought no CoD viewers and games like Battlefront, Doom and Overwatch showed you can dominate without having to give ads guns or sprint. Make base speed faster, remove spartan charge and sprint, keep clamber and thrust and slide, maybe get rid of ground pound, remove the useless ADS sights and we gucci. Look how much better the magnum or even tactical magnum aiming looks compared to the base pistol with it's image blocking holographic overlay. I try and use H2 BR or classic BR whenever possible. That's just me though.

I want old Halo back in that regard. The ads and sights need to go.

Halo 6 needs trimmed and simplified. Keep it clean.

Vanadium

I think the proper question is, "Can we have fewer warden fights in Halo 6?"

Also, auto sprint option like Titanfall 2.

Any changes of this magnitude to Halo 5's formula would probably kill it for me. It's incredibly good already. Don't mess it up. Keep doing what works and make the game its own thing.

fin

Halo 5 movement, gunplay, and abilities were all perfect. I don't want to hear otherwise from anyone who barely played.

Qft, Halo 5 was the most halo I played since 2 or 3.

Halo 6 multiplayer should just be new maps for Halo 5. Maybe tweek some weapons, but the movement was perfect.

They really need to work on their campaign though.

psyfi

Banned
I don't have strong feelings about sprint anymore, and I was always fervently anti-sprint before Halo 5. I think they balanced it really well. They made me a believer!

My bigger concerns are clamber and motion tracker. Neither one of them are necessary, and neither add to competitive gameplay. Take'em out.

HTupolev

"The gunplay is great but the maps suck."

What if the maps suck because the gunplay puts awkward constraints on map design?

Halo 4 was especially terrible about this. Not just because of sprint; the extreme ease of wrecking stuff even at long range with the spawn weapons ("that feel so good to use!") meant that non-messy line-of-sight design would tend to cause map movement to bog down (see: Ragnarok).

Halo 5's sprint is "good" insofar as it doesn't blatantly break moment-to-moment gun battles like it did in the last game, but it still seems like it's having problematic effects on map design (i.e. movement scale is awkwardly large for gunplay scale) with no obvious actual benefit. It probably won't be removed, but I think it should be.
(I also think Halo just plain feels better without it. Always felt more actively engaged IMO; positioning was more committal, and the ability to look and shoot while moving around meant that you were able to constantly participate in recon and whatnot.)

Without the distance you slide being incredibly broken, there's no way sliding would be anything more than cosmetic.
I don't understand what you mean lol, explain?
My bigger concerns are clamber and motion tracker. Neither one of them are necessary, and neither add to competitive gameplay. Take'em out.
Radar isn't necessary for casual play either imo. It's too bad how dependent some Halo fans have become on those little red dots.

Takashi

I much prefer Halo without sprint, but Halo 5's movement and gunplay are pretty well balanced so sprint is not much of an issue this time around. Compare this to Reach's fat ass spartans and inaccurate bloom weapons, for example, where sprint becomes glaringly detrimental.

What really needs to go is radar.

Streaks

I say leave it. It's not like you use it all the time on small maps anyway. No one uses it to run away really, just to get from point A to point B a little quicker. If your'e careless you'll turn a corner and get shot down quick. I think they handled sprinting well in Halo 5.

What Halo 6 should do is keep the movement and abilities the same as H5.

This franchise needs some consistency for once, we haven't had a sequel with similar movement as the game prior since H2>3.

This isn't to say I think sprint is great or any of the other abilities, it's just that having something so core to the game continually changed from one iteration to the next doesn't bode well IMO.

However I do prefer no sprint and always have, I just think to the average player or newcomer that there needs to be some familiarities from one game to the next.

Defect

I was very anti sprint during the Halo Reach and 4 days but 5 made it work. I'd still prefer it be gone though just so maps can be a little smaller.

I'd be fine if they kept it though.

jelly

"The gunplay is great but the maps suck."

What if the maps suck because the gunplay puts awkward constraints on map design?

Halo 4 was especially terrible about this. Not just because of sprint; the extreme ease of wrecking stuff even at long range with the spawn weapons ("that feel so good to use!") meant that non-messy line-of-sight design would tend to cause map movement to bog down (see: Ragnarok).

Halo 5's sprint is "good" insofar as it doesn't blatantly break moment-to-moment gun battles like it did in the last game, but it still seems like it's having problematic effects on map design (i.e. movement scale is awkwardly large for gunplay scale) with no obvious actual benefit. It probably won't be removed, but I think it should be.
(I also think Halo just plain feels better without it. Always felt more actively engaged IMO; positioning was more committal, and the ability to look and shoot while moving around meant that you were able to constantly participate in recon and whatnot.)

Good explanation. I feel that I'm concentrating less on the what's going on and just running about to action. It's like a blur until you arrive. Map design is definitely affected, you just run everywhere so it has to be stretched out. Clamber probably doesn't help either, have random cubes to clamber but I do like the mechanic.

Madness

Doom is also designed much differently, and its movement model is based more around its AI enemy and spaces vs Halo 5's multiplayer and MP maps.

Honestly don't understand comments like these.

And yet people couldn't seem to understand that Halo and CoD are designed very differently and that Halo never needed sprint or aiming down sights or instant respawns and loadouts but that is where we went, no? Halo 4 was what 343 thought fans of CoD wanted Halo to be. They didn't care about what Halo fans thought because we are suckers who would buy Halo regardless. But that is why they tried to strike a balance with H5.

Like I said, however, Sprint has not and continues to not work in Halo games. Even with their anti-shield recharge mechanic, sprint has never been more popular because they also added the offensive spartan charge move. An instant kill from the back, full shield take off from the front. It is more reward vs risk, people whiff on spartan charge very few times compared to hits and the magnetism and range is ridiculous. Halo 5 has unlimited sprint in arena too because they needed unlimited sprint for Warzone since people have to run through giant ass maps with far away respawns. Going forward, I would keep thrust, I would keep clamber, I would even the stablization hover, but sprint, and possibly ground pound need to go. As for motion tracker, make it rank based. Low level ranks have it. But anything beyond diamond and it is gone. Or change the way it works. Have people who have heavy power weapons like rockets as primary moving around, those thrusting, those in line of sight, or those actively firing guns show up in your motion tracker. Let's see what they do with H6.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Loadouts in Halo?
Superman-takes-a-shot.gif

Leave the gameplay mechanics from Halo 5 untouched. It should be the standard moving forward.

AW mindset, More of a run in and shoot em up mindset?

That wouldn't be successful in high onyx play.

I can run around like a chicken with my head cut off when i'm playing people less skilled than me. but it's still very much halo and will punish people who {can't shoot, and who don't work together.}

That's the thing, I could never get that far even if I played a traditional Halo style, because everyone would leave when shit hit the fan. Maybe I'd enjoy it more running with a team but the only person I know who plays Halo still plays it exclusively for eSports for his team so doesn't have time for hours of pubs

Bsigg12

I think the proper question is, "Can we have fewer warden fights in Halo 6?"

Also, auto sprint option like Titanfall 2.

No auto sprint. The shield recharge is tied to not sprinting, auto spring means they have to bring in a way for the shields to charge at all times which breaks the balance they have.

Raide

Move forward from Halo 5, not regress to the older ones. Movement felt nice in Halo 5, plus the content they have kept producing has been outstanding.

Wedzi

Banned
This question has been debated in the Halo community since Reach. Maybe the most devise. I'm hoping that Halo 6 could be a Doom like revievil but I'm pretty sure Stinkles said that the mechanics for Halo 6 willl be very similar to 5

I think before commenting on this folks should tell us how much time they logged in Halo 5 MP. Personally I've done a good bit as level 99 and I think sprint and clamber are great.

Overwatch doesn't have sprint for every character but has characters that enable sprint like Lucio. Also characters that allow teleport and revives. Soldier and Sombra outright have sprint while you can leap with Winston, pull yourself forward with Widow, teleport with Reaper, etc. Overwatch had lots of mobility pieces.

Halo would be boring without sprint and clamber.

IMO - obviously.

dr_rus

Next Halo should be a great game. It doesn't matter in the slightest if there will be sprinting or not.

shoreu

That's the thing, I could never get that far even if I played a traditional Halo style, because everyone would leave when shit hit the fan. Maybe I'd enjoy it more running with a team but the only person I know who plays Halo still plays it exclusively for eSports for his team so doesn't have time for hours of pubs

Definitely so, It's stressful and annoying to have unreliable teammates who shit the bed then quit on you (while being the worst on the team) it's frustrating and makes the game not fun to play. Social has eased this a lot so it's not as serious.

Monocle

the problem with sprint is it causes maps to become bigger therefore you find yourself having to sprint to move around and of course u cant sprint and gun which means the classic halo formula is gone.

h5 is fun for what it is but it isnt really halo. the maps are crap, sprint should be removed and smaller maps should return, best comprise would be as the user above says to disable it in certain playlists and design maps for that
It's more Halo than the last two Halos.

The gameplay is as good as it's ever been. 343 achieved what Bungie couldn't by finding the sweet spot between old and new. Familiar mechanics with useful, intuitive extensions of those mechanics. No tacked-on additions like dual wielding or armor abilities. They did a damn good job.

Next Halo should be a great game. It doesn't matter in the slightest if there will be sprinting or not.
200.gif

Isn't that what fans said after Halo Reach ?
Isn't that what fans said after Halo 4?
Isn't that what fans said after MCC?
Don't keep your hopes up, 343 will always find something to fuck up.

Monocle

200.gif

Isn't that what fans said after Halo Reach ?
Isn't that what fans said after Halo 4?
Isn't that what fans said after MCC?
Don't keep your hopes up, 343 will always find something to fuck up.
They solved just about all of Halo 4's problems, so really the only way to maintain that position is to flat out ignore the many specific flaws they addressed in every important area.

Nice gif though.

Garnox

While playing MCC (I know) I always vote Halo 4 maps because 1-3 feel soooo slow and clunky. Halo 5 was good to keep sprint and I'd like to see it stay.

Trup1aya

If they are gonna keep it, they need to nerf it so that it doesn't impact map design so much. Give it a 3 second warm up, and make it so that taking any damage or changing direction knocks you out of sprint.

Also, make it tied to how long you push forward instead of wasting a button on it. H5s controls are too convoluted.

They solved just about all of Halo 4's problems, so really the only way to maintain that position is to flat out ignore the many specific flaws they addressed in every important area.

Nice gif though.

Sure they resolved most of its problems, but as a result Halo 5 was released unfinished with many missing features. Which caused many to stop playing the game.
It took a few months to get the carnage report lmao, pathetic.

Top Bottom