• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Halo 6 keep or remove sprinting?

Monocle

Sure they resolved most of its problems, but as a result Halo 5 was released unfinished with many missing features. Which caused many to stop playing the game.
It took a few months to get the carnage report lmao, pathetic.
Their implementation is far from perfect, but personally I'd rather have sublime mechanics and weapon balance from day one than most of the support features that should come standard, if they can't deliver it all at once.

Unlike Halo 4, Halo 5 nails the fundamentals. Normal weapon spawns are back. Equal starts are back. Combine that with the improved traversal and even if you ignore all of the other improvements you've got one hell of a competitive Halo game.

Havoc2049

Next Halo should be a great game. It doesn't matter in the slightest if there will be sprinting or not.

I agree. Unfortunately, Halo these days has bigger issues than sprint or no sprint.

The campaign in Halo 5 was a 6 out of 10 and the friendly AI was a 4 out of 10.

Also, get rid of the REQ packs.

JNT

I would personally like to see dash and sprint merge into one function that drains shield energy as it is being used. Maybe it's a terrible idea, but I still would like there to be serious strategic considerations to the movement options that are available to you.

I guess keep it. I mean, obviously the third hypothetical option of giving the series back to Bungie and getting a sprint-less Halo 6 would be the ideal choice. But if 343 is going down this road, they may as well make it their own thing and keep it.

Monocle

I agree. Unfortunately, Halo these days has bigger issues than sprint or no sprint.

The campaign in Halo 5 was a 6 out of 10 and the friendly AI was a 4 out of 10.

Also, get rid of the REQ packs.
REQ packs financed the free DLC updates, which have been a godsend.

Just limit random element of the REQ stuff maybe, by letting players choose which categories of items they're going to unlock.

They solved just about all of Halo 4's problems, so really the only way to maintain that position is to flat out ignore the many specific flaws they addressed in every important area.

Nice gif though.

I mean...they were problems that 343 themselves created. I'm not gonna give them credit for bandaging the foot they shot themselves in in the first place.

Still, MP is at least tolerable now. Don't get me started on the plot.

From December up until the Summer, yeah.

You have to admit that in today's day and age with the competition in the FPS space there wouldn't be enough of an audience for old halo. Not old slow halo.

I don't think Halo can recapture the hype of the originals. Time and competition has passed it by. Every other FPS has learned, borrowed and evolved from the Halo of yesteryear.

It's still a great game though.

I mean...they were problems that 343 themselves created. I'm not gonna give them credit for bandaging the foot they shot themselves in in the first place.

Still, MP is at least tolerable now. Don't get me started on the plot.

Whats funny is, 343 them selves weren't even going to remove all the shit from Halo 4 like NoDescope and Ordanance Drops. The Pro Team said it took alot of convincing, ill try to find the post from the TeamBeyond forums.

Leyasu

Banned
Keep it! Halo 5 plays like no other.

But 343, how about NOT fucking tinkering with the aiming the next time?

The beta was on another level. The full games aiming has never felt right even with hours of messing around.

Loadouts in Halo?
Superman-takes-a-shot.gif

Leave the gameplay mechanics from Halo 5 untouched. It should be the standard moving forward.

This. Halo 5 competitive multiplayer is sublime.

Nosgotham

Remove!! Bring back proper halo a la 2 and 3. Stop trying to rent and the series gameplay. It was great the way it was

I guess keep it. I mean, obviously the third hypothetical option of giving the series back to Bungie and getting a sprint-less Halo 6 would be the ideal choice. But if 343 is going down this road, they may as well make it their own thing and keep it.
This is still an opinion in 2017.. We're off to a great start!

Halo 5 is a great foundation. Try to build on it. So, that would be a "keep" from me.

Appeal to the fans, not the dudebros who dont even have clearly defined standards and expectations for MP.

Defect

Bungie introduced sprint with Reach.

Kalentan

Remove sprint 100%. Halo 5 feels like a CoD game. 4 even felt better to play. Halo needs to go back to the style of Halo 3. Perfect game IMO.

Is this a joke? Halo 3 is hands down the worst feeling Halo game in the series. That's not even an opinion. It's fact. Halo 1, 2, Reach, 4 and 5 all feel better to play than Halo 3.

chanpetrelli

Neo Member
This. Halo 5 competitive multiplayer is sublime.

I think so. I've been playing from the release and I found these mechanics, running included of course, outstanding.

In my opinion Halo 5 has the best multiplayer in the Halo series: it is well balanced, all Spartans starts with the same scheme, and the maps are strongly designed to don't have blind points, unbalanced spawns and at last but not least, you are able to use all the new Spartan habilities such as running, charge, and my favourite: the stomp.

For Halo 6 I would keep all those habilities as the base. I have no problem if reach's or halo 4's classes are back for some MP modes and campaign.

No it doesnt play anything like CoD, Halo 5 gameplay is the best its being since before Halo 3, the last thing Halo needs is playing like Halo 3.

Competitively the game has went from setup based, to rotation and collapse (cod)

The maps are pretty trash now, whether that's 100% sprints fault or just the map designers suck, idk. Sprint would be fine if they switched radar to spartan abilities only.

PnCIa

Doom showed that a its quite possible to have a fast-paced AAA-FPS without sprint. I am not against a sprint mechanic if it served a specific purpose, Halo´s gameplay never needed it though.

Doom showed that a its quite possible to have a fast-paced AAA-FPS without sprint. I am not against a sprint mechanic if it served a specific purpose, Halo´s gameplay never needed it though.

Doom's normal running speed is about as fast as Halo 5's sprint. That game plays really fast.

I'd say keep it. Movement was wonderful in Halo 5.

6 should build off of 5's universal movement abilities for everyone. Best that the series has been.

Exactly. 343 found a way to evolve armor abilities in a way that was grounded, fair, and common-sensical. If you can't pull off something, its because you don't have the skills, not because it's not part of your loadout. I have no issue with sprint. Remove radar and keep Halo 5's base stats and you'll see some amazing things.

Halo 1 was my favorite Halo MP. Halo 5 surpassed it. To me Halo 5 feels the closest to Halo 1 from all the sequels but the weapon sandbox is actually balanced and varied., Sprint, charge, clamper, pound are all fun abilities that make you feel like a Spartan as fuck. Also I feel like there's a lot of people who barely played 5 MP at all here chiming their opinion here.

Lom1lo

Gameplay is near perfection, but please remove those shit transformer enemies
except the knights, they are fun

How about bring up a bigger issue and ask them to stop OUTSOURCING to other companies who give two shits about halo.

In 6 halo movement will stay the same. They may add another ability just to have it as a matketing thing.

Prone or some bs like that. So then firefights will have ppl jump- crouch -thrust - crouch -prone and get a perfecr on you as they land dik down on your corpse.

... umm....

Edit: real talk id love for them to make melee an option.

Default - punch
Shinobi - karate Chop
Viking - head butt
Spartan - Spartan 300 kick
The merciless - front kick that looks really silly
On bak - elbow to the face
Jakie chan - spinning side kick
Donnie yen - multi punch combo
Rocky balboa - Scream Adrian as you throw a Haymaker

Then assassinations could become even crazier! See thousand dollar REQ idea right there yallll.

P.s. bring back opening end ending game spartan celebrations please.

There's been three games with it now. THREE GAMES. As much as the original trilogy gets talked about let's acknowledge that there are as many games that have Sprint as there were in the original trilogy. No more of that Halo 2 is best crap. I don't want a weak sandbox where the only weapons that matter are sniper, rockets or BR. I certainly don't want the old movement speed and traversal back either.

Halo 5 is my standard of how a Halo game should play now and I put a terrific amount of time into the older games as well. It's been what, 8 years since we had a Halo game drop without sprint? Why do people wanna regress back into four shot BR battles for life gameplay?

I can't believe this question is still being asked. Let's leave a very balanced sandbox alone.

Hip Hop

Keep.

For other games, it makes sense.

But for a game series like Halo, not having Sprint or ADS would feel outdated.

Stay with the times, it works.

Novocaine

As much as I appreciate the simplicity of movement in the earlier Halo games I think sprinting and clamber both feel fantastic in 5 so keep it.

Glass

I don't feel strongly about sprint either way, but I love thrust sliding.

Really hope they dont try and fix what ain't broke with Halo 5 and just concentrate on improving the campaign.

Mechazawa

The Spartan tackle is really fun and long delay in bringing up your weapon adds a nice extra layer of having to be conscious of when you can sprint and when it becomes a hindrance at the expense of shooting someone else faster.

They should keep it.

mhi

Get rid of it.

It kills map design

That's my only beef with it. But in thinking of Coag or Containment, there were definitely moments where you wished you had sprint. It was fun to strategize around the lack that lack of sprint but if the cost is frustration I can see why.

that Halo never needed sprint or aiming down sights

Oh yes, the fan argument of "what a series does or doesn't need," even though they've made a very good, very successful game with just that that still sticks to the 14-year old core of the series while also being different.

Yep. Totally fam.

Top Bottom