• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight XB1 Retail Release Cancelled Due To "Publishing Policies"

meanspartan

If they knew the minimum run was something they could not do with the XB1 why then would they get peoples hopes up? If that is the case it then seems like dick move to then site "publishing polices", which though true sort of puts it all off on MS as if they are standing in the way of the release.

I must not be understanding, does Microsoft set the minimum number? I would assume so since the game is coming to Ps4 so apparently it is meeting whatever minimum there.

Danlord

Curious, what game?

Retro City Rampage:DX has a limited run of physical releases but there's a new company called "Limited Run Games" and they're doing a limited-run (get it... :D ) of "Breach and Clear" on Vita.
Robert from Zeboyd Games has essentially implied Cosmic Star Heroine will be getting a physical copy through this limited run although it's not official.

That's what I mean by doing it "at a loss", if you do it in high volumes, the investment per disc is much lower.

You should still be taking a profit though with a small print run, just not one to write home about.

Can't imagine disc printings being expensive enough that a couple thousand would be done at a loss.

meanspartan

Come on, Phil Spencer. You were putting out niceguy interviews every other week last month.

He needs to demand the authority to just singlehandedly eliminate bullshit policies overnight, if he indeed wants to be helpful.

Go ask Nutella for permission Phil! Getting rid of bullshit like this isn't even about the sales, this won't sell that much. It's about avoiding needlessly bad PR. Minimum print run are you serious? If it passes Cert, that should not be an issue in any way.

GametimeUK

Such disappointing news. This is one of my favourite games of all time. How someone managed to capture the very essence of what I like in a game and what business practices I like to see is remarkable. Double impressive considering the day and age we live in. It's a shame we won't see this on Xbox in physical form, but I'll count myself lucky that I'd rather have it on ps4 anyway.

Qwark

Breach & Clear

learn all about that project here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1121596

Breach and Clear. There was a topic yesterday about a company that will be specializing in bringing indie games to retail discs/carts for the PS4 and Vita.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1121596

Retro City Rampage:DX has a limited run of physical releases but there's a new company called "Limited Run Games" and they're doing a limited-run (get it... :D ) of "Breach and Clear" on Vita.
Robert from Zeboyd Games has essentially implied Cosmic Star Heroine will be getting a physical copy through this limited run although it's not official.

This is awesome, I can think of a couple Indie games I'd buy physical.

Yacht Club are essentially self publishing this right?

Considering the non existant policys (That totally exist) for self publishing a game digitally.... I wonder just how many hoops youve gotta jump through in order to do it physically.

Phil Spencer says...

"Reading you loud and clear guys, going to see what I can do to rectify the situation."

he didn't really, i can just totally see him writing something like this on twitter

wapplew

Why is it always MS on the wrong side of these things? They need better leadership.

panos-panay-microsoft-220715.jpg

So, if Microsoft has this minimum printed disc requirement, what does that mean for Kickstarted games that had options for physical games for certain backers? Surely there wouldn't be enough printed discs to meet the requirement. That would make some backers would feel like they were cheated.

Shenmue

Banned
Assuming the 50k figure is correct, I doubt MS really cares if a game can't sell through a print run of 50k. It's just not worth their time.

hawk2025

So, if Microsoft has this minimum printed disc requirement, what does that mean for Kickstarted games that had options for physical games for certain backers? Surely there wouldn't be enough printed discs to meet the requirement. That would make some backers would feel like they were cheated.

Huh. Good point.

What's the first upcoming Kickstarter with Xbox One physical copies?

Jawmuncher

Sounds pretty dumb of MS. Like why would they make such a hassle of it? Might be better to have less at retail than more. They already mess around with their policies as they see fit. So it seems dumb to hold the wall on this one.

Poop!

They should just do it like the Vita retail version of Minecraft and sell a box in the store with a download code inside.

HardRojo

The main reason I'll be buying Shovel Knight is the retail release. Sucks to hear XBO owners won't be getting one :/

@MUWANdo

Banned
Assuming the 50k figure is correct, I doubt MS really cares if a game can't sell through a print run of 50k. It's just not worth their time.

It's not that MS cares, it's that tiny publishers can't justify printing a ton of copies if all the data suggests they'll only sell a fraction of their print run. Remember, XB1 only accounts for 5% of their current sales.

Then again, they said XB1 preorders were good, so the bottleneck may well be something completely unrelated to manufacturing expenses.

Shenmue

Banned
It's not that MS cares, it's that tiny publishers can't justify printing a ton of copies if all the data suggests they'll only sell a fraction of their print run. Remember, XB1 only accounts for 5% of their current sales.

Then again, they said XB1 preorders were good, so the bottleneck may well be something completely unrelated to manufacturing expenses.

Oh I fully understand why indies can't justify printing tons of copies.

What I meant is that MS doesn't care about losing the physical copies for the game as long as the game still releases digitally. And they don't care to decrease that minimum print run requirement because if the pub's data doesn't even suggest they can sell through all 50k at least, it's not even worth MS's time.

dumb-and-dumber-shhh-o.gif

Microsoft doesn't want anyone finding out

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oh I fully understand why indies can't justify printing tons of copies.

What I meant is that MS doesn't care about losing the physical copies for the game as long as the game still releases digitally. And they don't care to decrease that minimum print run requirement because if the pub's data doesn't even suggest they can sell through all 50k at least, it's not even worth MS's time.

Oh, right. Yeah, I can see that being the case. You'd think the negative PR would cause them to reconsider, but then again, it doesn't seem to have made much difference with regard to some of their other policies...

I can also see it being similar to Nintendo's old WiiWare digital royalty setup, where they think it's a policy that ensures a certain standard of quality but in reality it just causes unnecessary hassle for devs across the board.

Neoxon

Well that's bullshit (I'm referring to Microsoft, not Yacht Club Games). My heart goes out to the Xbox One owners who were hoping to get a physical copy.

-shadow-

Well this is a nasty situation they have been put in by Microsoft. Hope they can work around the problem with Microsoft. Everyone should be able to get this physical.

Top Bottom