• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight XB1 Retail Release Cancelled Due To "Publishing Policies"

pieface

It's still available digitally. If I wanted the game I''d just buy it that way. Not exactly a huge loss is it?

pastrami

So Sony does not ask for a minimum ? Or works different ?

Yes, it's likely much lower.

From an interview with someone who started a company to do limited print runs of indie games on consoles: "I can't go into detail, but their minimum order quantities are incredibly reasonable compared to Microsoft and Nintendo."

I'm pretty sure they reached the conclusion that it is "beyond their control" after talking to Microsoft.

Plus they've been putting off this announcement for a while because they kept saying they needed more details, which was almost certainly due to an ongoing discussion with Microsoft

They will? Fantastic news!
If a game like Retro City Rampage can get a physical Vita release, so can Shovel Knight.

From what I understand, the requests they received for a Vita version immediately upon the retail announcement have been enormous and number and unwavering in quantity.

Tom Happ has said repeatedly that he gets more questions about the Vita version of Axiom Verge (still coming) than anything else.

Vita enthusiasts spend A LOT of money on their Vitas.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yes, it's likely much lower.

From an interview with someone who started a company to do limited print runs of indie games on consoles: "I can't go into detail, but their minimum order quantities are incredibly reasonable compared to Microsoft and Nintendo."

Nintendo seems more reasonable than Microsoft though, since the retail version for Wii U and 3DS is still happening.

pastrami

It also sold significantly more there, though.

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily attribute Shovel Knight being retail on Nintendo's platforms to Nintendo's flexibility with print runs, but that it's success likely means that the demand is higher on those platforms.

Garlador

Yep, totally getting that "first-class Xbox gamer" experience from this ordeal.

... Will snatch it up on PS4 then. Physical for life.

preferences

image.php

image.php

Ricker

Can we know more on this...what publishing policies ?,theres thousands of retail games since XBox brand exists...

FoneBone

Yeah, FoneBone mentioned in the other thread that he's heard that a minimum run from MS is 50k. By comparison, a minimum run from Sony appears to be as low as 1,500.

I don't have any insider info - that's just something I remember reading on this forum before. I'm sure somebody can correct me if I'm off base.

Occam

From what I understand, the requests they received for a Vita version immediately upon the retail announcement have been enormous and number and unwavering in quantity.

Tom Happ has said repeatedly that he gets more questions about the Vita version of Axiom Verge (still coming) than anything else.

Vita enthusiasts spend A LOT of money on their Vitas.

Indeed we do. I just imported the physical release of Resident Evil Revelations 2 (English, from Asia) a few days ago. Did Tom Happ actually mention the possibility of a physical release of Axiom Verge on Vita?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Come on, Phil Spencer. You were putting out niceguy interviews every other week last month.

Why would you get the physical release anyway? It's a 200MB file that will still install on your system. The only difference being that you can't put another game in the disc drive.

(And you can resell it, I guess)

Besides it looking nice on the shelf, the 3DS and Wii U versions don't install onto your system :)

Eusis

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was more rigid than Sony, but had a lower baseline than Microsoft. Heck, I could see Nintendo maybe by default being lower than Sony, but it's easy to negotiate with Sony so it doesn't matter in many cases. More likely its just not much higher, versus Microsoft that may inentality be most geared towards big AAA stuff with smaller stuff being "meant for" digital. And they were bad about anything resembling a middle ground for most of last gen.

EDIT:Scratch that about Nintendo if the other thread is right. But I can see Nintendo just requiring, say, 10k. Enough for a retail chain rather than one store front.

Indeed we do. I just imported the physical release of Resident Evil Revelations 2 (English, from Asia) a few days ago. Did Tom Happ actually mention the possibility of a physical release of Axiom Verge on Vita?

No, I'm pretty sure they're just trying to get the port done first. Apparently Sony backed out of making MonoGame tools and left Axiom Verge (and Bastion?) to die. AV has to be rewritten for Vita in a new code base. But both games are still being worked on and both are still coming.

But this is an XB1 thread. We'll have to continue our talks in the secret clubs and parlors only elite Vita enthusiasts know about. See you in the shadows, comrade.

I played and finished the game so it sucks for people who were waiting on this glorious game to receive a retail release. Getting pretty tired of their damn polices. Stop taking the fun out of it with your policies.

LQX

If they knew the minimum run was something they could not do with the XB1 why then would they get peoples hopes up? If that is the case it then seems like dick move to then site "publishing polices", which though true sort of puts it all off on MS as if they are standing in the way of the release.

If they knew the minimum run was something they could not do with the XB1 why then would they get peoples hopes up? If that is the case it then seems like dick move to then site "publishing polices", which though true sort of puts it all off on MS as if they are standing in the way of the release.
Probably trying to negotiate with MS?

Is it possible that the low percentage of people playing Shovel Knight on Xbox One was what lead them to cancel it? This sucks man, I specifically wanted a physical version for Xbox One since I already have a digital copy on 3DS.

Hold up a sec here...
Is that guy in the banner up there Chester? all this time I was seeing his sprite as some weird white genie man with an elaborate turban and stache, this is much better and he has legs.

Good to know I can still suffer sprite visual confusion even in this modern era of games.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Business policies shouldn't go against the best interests of consumers in my opinion.

Microsoft need to reverse this policy, especially as it's affected a number of games which could help grow the install base for XB1.

The Flash

Banned
Business policies shouldn't go against the best interests of consumers in my opinion.

Microsoft need to reverse this policy, especially as it's affected a number of games which could help grow the install base for XB1.

Exactly. Can they not see that they're just shooting themselves in the foot with this crap?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
This is terrible. Makes MS look really poor compared to Sony. Another policy that needs to be radically changed on their part.

Top Bottom