• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Single player: Age of Empires II vs. Warcraft III

MoccaJava

Banned
I was never interested in Warcraft III, really. However, I had just recently completed Baldur's Gate II (fantastic game) and was anxious to try the original (even though I know II will be better). The store I went to didn't have it, and so, on a whim, I picked up Warcraft III.

I've just about finished all of the campaigns, and played a few custom games. And I'm wondering...

Am I out of my mind to find Age of Empires II a better single player experience than Warcraft III? Warcraft, obviously, has it beat in the online department, but I liked Age of Empires' campaign and single player mode in general much more.

Anyone else feel this way? Before I elaborate I'd like to know if I'll even have a chance of not being flamed from hell.

siege

Banned
I agree. The Age of series has always been fantastic in regard to it's single player campaign. I especially liked the most recent Age of Mythology, as it incorporated the fantasy element well into the already solid gameplay structure the series is renowned for.

The Warcraft series pales in comparison. The only reason I bothered to complete War 3 was to view the gorgeous cinematics. However, multiplayer wise, the edge certainly goes towards Blizzard's efforts.

mint

Banned
I was a heavy AOE/AOK player. But I donno why I switched..guess it was cuz of popularity. And I didn't like AOM for some reason.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Rise of Nations.

It's more like AOE series but much, much better.

Warcraft III is awesome for online play, where RON lacks thanks to "out of syncs" and tremendous lag.

Mrbob

For single player:

Age of Mythology > Warcraft III > Age of Empires

In expansion packs single player:

Warcraft III The Frozen Throne > Age of Mythology Titans

But I like them all.

MoccaJava

Banned
For single player? No way Warcraft > AOE.

AOE is just a better game, imo, if you took out the online support that Warcraft has. It's a faster paced game (things in Warfract feel so slow), and I can't stand I can only really control ten units at a time in Warfract 3. In AOE 2, the battles are much larger.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I absolutely cannot STAND AOE's single player campaigns. They suck, hard. Just god awful mission design, narratives, objectives, everything. Yuck.

Warcraft 3's campaigns are absolutely awesome.

Multiplayer on the other hand...

Top Bottom