• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Character vote | The Campaign united us, The Voting will destroy us

Anbec7

I voted Beowulf and Eliza

Why? Simple Annie has all the support (that loli madness going on and the Berserk/Sol playstyle)and Minette while a "fighting joke character" doesn´t seem to appealing for me.
Isaac since Mike did a demo off his playstyle seems pretty cool but I really think he should be in Skullgirls 2 becase of Story reasons (Also Aeon,Samson(Feral) and Venus.

And for Stanley I like him but not that much for Panzerfaust another giant character? No we already have Big Band :D

But if in the end the 2 characters end up in Annie and Beowulf and can have my fighting dream duo team :D

It looks even better as the Facebook Cover Picture!

lolivzvd.jpg

LOOOL umbrella can't catch a break

Dremark

Banned
Voting Stanley again, because he is a Shark in a Lab Coat. How can you not like that.

The only sane way to vote.

Yeah he looks awesome. I tried the demo when it came out and it seems pretty solid but none if the characters really grabbed me and I had other fighting games to play.

If Stanley gets added I'll give the game another look.

Nyoro SF

Why? Simple Annie has all the support

But if in the end the 2 characters end up in Annie and Beowulf and can have my fighting dream duo team :D

Heh, it's like my earlier post is coming true right before my eyes.

Eliza's won this one clean.

Now as for next round, I wonder which character will people default to...

sandman64

Neo Member
The final round is not really about haters; it's more about not losing votes to a character with similar appeal. Aeon could cannibalize enough votes from Eliza to let Beowulf/Issac win, for example. If Annie, Aeon and Eliza all make it, they don't have a chance.

Your analysis and the analysis about a Eliza/Beowulf/Issac/Annie scenario being tough to call I think are correct.

But what many people aren't considering is a Panzerfaust top 4 situation.

I have very little interest in Panzerfaust, but no one can deny he has the highest visual appeal out of all 8 characters. Casual players (the MAJORITY vote) will look at Panzerfaust, be amazed at the design, and vote.

I think in any scenario where Panzerfaust is in top 4, he will take it.

Korigama

Why? Simple Annie has all the support
Assumptions like these could very well cost her in the end, if enough people think the same way.
Nope. If you want Annie, vote Annie. Seriously.

Vote Annie.
This. And that goes for anyone voting for someone they want to save. Two votes, and only two. Four more will be gone. Reactions to the top 8 will look like a stroll through the tulips compared to the top 4, and complacency will only ensure that.

7Th

Why? Simple Annie has all the support (that loli madness going on and the Berserk/Sol playstyle)and Minette while a "fighting joke character" doesn´t seem to appealing for me.
Isaac since Mike did a demo off his playstyle seems pretty cool but I really think he should be in Skullgirls 2 becase of Story reasons (Also Aeon,Samson(Feral) and Venus.

And for Stanley I like him but not that much for Panzerfaust another giant character? No we already have Big Band :D

Nope. If you want Annie, vote Annie. Seriously.

Vote Annie.

Moonlight

Banned
I think the time for holding out your votes on characters you want ended a long time ago. Like, in round two. Probably what cost Feng, going by all the people who put her off their list because she 'didn't need the help'. If you want a character, go for it. There's only going to be one survivor when the dust clears regardless of how much support a character has or doesn't have.

7Th

I think in any scenario where Panzerfaust is in top 4, he will take it.

Not exactly; if there is a single girl (Eliza or Annie) in the top 4, she will take it; even against Faust/Wulf/Stanley. Faust would take it in an even situation, tho.

sandman64

Neo Member
Not exactly; if there is a single girl (Eliza or Annie) in the top 4, she will take it; even against Faust/Wulf/Stanley. Faust would take it in an even situation, tho.

I see what you are saying: a single gender scenario wins it.

I still think Panzer would take it or be ridiculously close even with one chick in the top 4.

So there's something going down on Tumblr at the moment ...
http://h0urglassfigure.tumblr.com/post/48008893045/annie-fans-please-make-sure-beowulf-isnt-the

Someone really doesn't like the idea of tactical voting and honestly I'm not sure where I stand on this either. It sort of reminds me of the "Fireballs are cheap" contingent of players who believe there is right and wrong way to go about playing a match vs. the contingent of players who play to win. Don't get me wrong though, I most certainly fall within the latter group.

For Eliza this sort of brings up a stickier situation though, it's not a question of morality for me on this so much as not knowing the general popularity of the respective male characters that don't include Beowulf and not knowing the demographic of the people voting for each character. I don't subscribe to the belief that a final 4 composition of Eliza - Annie - Minette - Beowulf for example would be an automatic win for Beowulf. If this thread is any indication then it's clear that Eliza has a strong showing amongst fans of Male and Female characters both, I don't believe people who are vying for Stanley, Isaac, or Panzerfaust would necessarily go straight to Beowulf in the final round assuming they were knocked out.

So where does this leave us? Is there a point then in tactical voting if this is the case? Eliza more than any other seems to have a more universal appeal amongst the entire spectrum of voters and I'm not sure what character or characters would need to go down to give her the most additional support (assuming Beowulf is a lock). This is genuinely the most difficult round for any person who believes the composition of the final 4 is going to decide the chances for their character and the only round thats really made me pause and consider options outside of my favorites.

I think most people have decided who their #1 is by this point, the question becomes how best to use the power of your second vote. I advise everyone to think carefully about that decision.
This is the definitive round.

This voting method is absolutely devious, Ravidrath.

7Th

WHY FANS OF UMBRELLA/MARIE/FENG SHOULD VOTE FOR ANNIE:

Many Annie fans are part of the "cute girl" brigade; if Annie wins this slot, the huge Annie fanbase will probably move to the next cute girl character. Voting for Annie will also remove her from the pool, focusing the cute girl votes on fewer characters. This is your best chance of getting that waifu of yours in the game!

Annie 2013

megalowho

Annie/Eliza, done and done. Good top 8, would be into playing any of those characters really. Hopefully it's only a matter of time.

I think the time for holding out your votes on characters you want ended a long time ago. Like, in round two. Probably what cost Feng, going by all the people who put her off their list because she 'didn't need the help'. If you want a character, go for it. There's only going to be one survivor when the dust clears regardless of how much support a character has or doesn't have.

Pretty much. The only reason why I'm doing meta-voting is that the character I really want isn't in the current running anymore.

tumblr_mj2eae01qe1r2547uo1_100.gif

(Vote 2. Believe.)

7Th

If this thread is any indication then it's clear that Eliza has a strong showing amongst fans of Male and Female characters both, I don't believe people who are vying for Stanley, Isaac, or Panzerfaust would necessarily go straight to Beowulf in the final round assuming they were knocked out.

Not all of them, but many of them. Reading other more mainstream fighting game communities, a lot of people just want another male. There are also a lot of Beowulf/Issac, Beowulf/Stanley and Beowulf/Faust votes. The idea is to not keep them as Beowulf votes for the next round and force people that don't have Wulf as their primary choice to drop him in the next vote.

I mean, look at this:

I voted for my overlords

Sir Issac & Lord Beowulf

This place is going to get exponentially more annoying with each passing day. I think I'm gonna cut my browsing time in here to the bare minimum and let the chips fall where they may.

The second vote will be ugly as fuck. That much I'm sure of.

Many Annie fans are part of the "cute girl" brigade; if Annie wins this slot, the huge Annie fanbase will probably move to the next cute girl character. Voting for Annie will also remove her from the pool, focusing the cute girl votes on fewer characters. This is your best chance of getting that waifu of yours in the game!

Annie 2013
We probably won't lol. Most of us would probably vote Feng next at best. There is a good chance we'd give Eliza a boost, though.

7Th

This place is going to get exponentially more annoying with each passing day. I think I'm gonna cut my browsing time in here to the bare minimum and let the chips fall where they may.

We probably won't lol. Most of us would probably vote Feng next at best. There is a good chance we'd give Eliza a boost, though.

I included "fans of Feng" in my list of people who should vote for Annie. Good to see my intuition wasn't misguided. :)

Jawmuncher

Panzerfaust Better Win

I supported but never actually played skull girls so I really could give fuck all who wins. But this voting thread is to much fun

Beckx

Heh. Yeah. For the second vote, we should just call this I Hate Your Favorite Thing: The Thread.

Odrion

Banned

Annie 2013
Wait, did you refer to Marie and Umbrella as 'waifus'?
2j6ge.gif

edit: Also count me as a Eliza hater, she'd be the only person now that I'd be bummed about winning. So freaking dull, there are already enough cheesecake fighters.

shaowebb

Beowulf
Isaac

All I care about is that chair. I nearly voted Eliza though...hard call between Isaac and Eliza, but I dig the Isaac timer and his character being based on Professor Badass.
Beowulf is gonna ride this wave of hype though straight to the top.

ibrL5b0TZxPUIn.gif

So there's something going down on Tumblr at the moment ...
http://h0urglassfigure.tumblr.com/post/48008893045/annie-fans-please-make-sure-beowulf-isnt-the

Someone really doesn't like the idea of tactical voting and honestly I'm not sure where I stand on this either. It sort of reminds me of the "Fireballs are cheap" contingent of players who believe there is right and wrong way to go about playing a match vs. the contingent of players who play to win. Don't get me wrong though, I most certainly fall within the latter group.

For Eliza this sort of brings up a stickier situation though, it's not a question of morality for me on this so much as not knowing the general popularity of the respective male characters that don't include Beowulf and not knowing the demographic of the people voting for each character. I don't subscribe to the belief that a final 4 composition of Eliza - Annie - Minette - Beowulf for example would be an automatic win for Beowulf. If this thread is any indication then it's clear that Eliza has a strong showing amongst fans of Male and Female characters both, I don't believe people who are vying for Stanley, Isaac, or Panzerfaust would necessarily go straight to Beowulf in the final round assuming they were knocked out.

So where does this leave us? Is there a point then in tactical voting if this is the case? Eliza more than any other seems to have a more universal appeal amongst the entire spectrum of voters and I'm not sure what character or characters would need to go down to give her the most additional support (assuming Beowulf is a lock). This is genuinely the most difficult round for any person who believes the composition of the final 4 is going to decide the chances for their character and the only round thats really made me pause and consider options outside of my favorites.

I think most people have decided who their #1 is by this point, the question becomes how best to use the power of your second vote. I advise everyone to think carefully about that decision.
This is the definitive round.

This voting method is absolutely devious, Ravidrath.
There are some wildcards in all of this. Mainly Eliza, Stanley and Aeon. We're not entirely sure how they've managed to get so far and we're not entirely sure who their supporters would pick as their second in line.

Everyone else is predictable enough. Beowulf has a strong appeal with "dicks for DLC" crowd, casuals and the core fanbase that has known of him for more than a year. Same goes for Panzerfaust. Isaac got a ridiculous boost from being a good male design that Mike hyped more than everyone else at first. Stanley has the strongest casual appeal, but probably doesn't sit as high with the core as some of us might think. Yeah, I think SRK is small at the end of the day. Most of us were flipping our shit about Panzerfaust, Big Band and Beowulf before story fans got Ahad to make him official.

Eliza and Aeon are big mysteries. This is especially the case for Aeon. People want OP shit. That is where she comes in. Eliza is just a good design at the end of the day and she has appeal across both sides of the aisle with a cool mechanic that doesn't threaten the balance of the game. She is one of the cooler looking bosses in fighting games that I've seen in a VERY long time. Minette is riding that moe wave like a fucking pro and looking real dangerous right now. Annie... I don't know how she has gotten this far, but God bless the artists and voters who got her this far. She has been like a dwarf star that continues to shine no matter how tough the odds are.

Here is my meta. Stop Aeon already goddamit. Also, vote Panzerfaust. I like him more than 6/8 characters in the top 8. I got my own meta predictions and patterns, but this whole thing is getting way out of hand and I'm sure that Ravi is laughing at all of the posts in this thread right now and I don't want to be laughed at and oh my God this post is still going

Beckx

Wait, did you refer to Marie and Umbrella as 'waifus'?
2j6ge.gif

edit: Also count me as a Eliza hater. She'd be the only person now that I'd be bummed about winning. So freaking dull, there are already enough cheesecake fighters.

I am probably going to regret voting for her, because like you I think there's enough fan service in the game already, and they'll probably animate her like Mai.

But the lure of Donovan-like mechanics is too strong. Plus I'm a sucker for the evil Egyptian queen design, ever since reading Robert E. Howard's Hour of the Dragon (Akivasha the vampire).

sandman64

Neo Member
Eliza more than any other seems to have a more universal appeal amongst the entire spectrum of voters and I'm not sure what character or characters would need to go down to give her the most additional support (assuming Beowulf is a lock).

In Eliza's case, her main weakness is Panzerfaust (I still say that Panzer is everyone's weakness).

Eliza's advantage summarized is that she has mass appeal in both gameplay and design.

I believe that Eliza majorly made it through the voting because when the voters immediately look at her, they'd probably categorize her in the "sexy"/"badass/gruesome" category. All of the females that have ALL THREE appeals: "sexy"/"badass/gruesome" are eliminated. An example is Venus and Black Dahlia (;_;).

Another Eliza advantage is that she fit's well with the original Skullgirls cast b/c of her gruesome nature of blood and turning into a skeleton. Her unique gameplay style didn't hurt in her push to the top 8 either.

There is no other "sexy female" competition, so Eliza eats up those votes. The only one that would completely beat her and everyone else (Issac/Beo could compete on Eliza's level) on the "badass" front is Panzerfaust. It doesn't take even a second to figure out why Panzer can out-badass everyone.

Beowulf and Isaac are both "badass" but they can't compete in the "sexy female" votes, so I think Eliza has that edge b/c she is "badass" as well. Isaac/Beowulf are both male, which can actually be an edge in their case since not many males in SG.

Minnette and Annie fans run into a unique situation. Annie is in the "badass"/"cute" and Minnette purely in the "cute" category. They will destroy each other if they both get in top 4 while the other two pick up the pieces. I don't know how strong the cute votes are since Umbrella went out and so did Feng (I still can't believe it).

Scienceshark and Aeon are wild cards as far as I'm concerned (as in, I have no idea how well they'll do, good or bad).

J-Tier

Isaac is at the very top of the poll and Eliza is at the very bottom. Indicative of those two winning this round =B

EDIT: Yeah...it really is a shame Feng lost that round, I didn't support her but I was quickly warming up to the idea.

J-Tier

Damn. It's tough to guess who will make it to top two. I'm going to guess two who I think won't make it since it's so difficult the other way...

I'm going to say Stanley and ...

Nope, even that's tough. Damn again.

Top Bottom