• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
FINAL TOTAL: $829,829!

Squigly has been funded! Squigly's stage and story mode has been funded! Big Band has been funded! Big Band's stage and story mode has been funded! 1st Mysterious Character + Stage + Story funded! Robo-Fortune + Story funded! 2nd Mysterious Character funded!

Skullgirls' IndieGoGo Campaign has ENDED!

Click here to check out the page

3rd and 4th Mysterious DLC Characters have been funded! Will be decided by backer popular vote. EVERY donation gets a vote. Character profile descriptions and playstyles available HERE:
DLC_Lineup_Uncovered02.png

Big Band's been funded:
20130314132344-bigband_thanks_lrg.jpg

About Big Band:
Ben Birdland has seen a lot in his time, including the worst of the Grand War. But nothing was worse than what he, saw as a beat cop in New Meridian. When he ran afoul of his crooked unit he was given a violent early retirement, and his broken body was left to spend the rest of its days in an iron lung.

That would have been the end of Ben’s story if it hadn't drawn the ears of the Anti-Skullgirl Labs. With little left to lose, he agreed to be rebuilt with their experimental procedures. Melded with the machinery that allows him to breathe and a powerful an array of pneumatic weaponry, he was reborn as “Big Band.”

Now a senior member of Lab 8, he’s become a father figure of sort to the younger ASG soldiers. A firm believer in their cause, he has stayed with the project through its controversies and still sees his place on the front lines against the Skullgirl. His technology may be dated, but he more than makes up for it with experience and fortissimo.

There's a ton more info about the character at the link, as well as stretch goals and other additions that the team wants to make to the game.

•FUNDED! $625,000 will get us a mysterious third character's stage and story mode!
•FUNDED! $725,000- Mane6 gets the Z Engine for their game!

As added bonuses, the voice actors have offered to donate free DLC voice packs if the following goals are met!

•FUNDED! $250,000: "Republican Double" by Kaiji Tang
•FUNDED! $350,000: "Robo-Fortune" by Kimlinh Tran
•FUNDED! $400,000: Female Announcer by Cristina Vee
•FUNDED! $450,000: "Salty Parasoul" by Erin Fitzgerald
•FUNDED! $500,000: "Drunk Commentator" by Joshua Tomar
•FUNDED! $550,000: "Valley Girl Painwheel" by Danielle McRae
•FUNDED! $600,000: "Saxploitation" by Rich Brown
•FUNDED! $650,000: "Anime Peacock" by Sarah Williams
•FUNDED! $700,000: "Real Soviet Announcer" by MikeZ
•FUNDED! $725,000: Robo-Fortune character

Now that Squigly's been funded, she will be absolutely free to EVERYONE for three months.
20130226084444-Squigly_ThankYou.png

About Squigly:
Squigly is the last "surviving" member of the Contiellos, a famous line of opera singers and long-time clients of the Medici family.

Fourteen years ago, tragedy befell Squigly’s family when the Medici mafia came close to obtaining the Skull Heart. During this incident she became one of the Skullgirl's undead minions. Once the threat had been defeated, only Squigly’s body was recovered, and she was buried in a service provided by Lorenzo himself.

Fast forward to the present: Bloody Marie's emergence has awoken Squigly from her long sleep. As part of the Skullgirl’s undead legion, Squigly should have become nothing more than a mindless servant of the pale maiden. However, thanks to the powers of her Parasite Leviathan, she is spared this fate.

Squigly is graceful, calm and well-mannered, but tough and determined to complete her mission. Her past experience with a Skullgirl gives her a unique perspective and a greater understanding of the situation over most.

Having been passed through the Contiello family for generations, Leviathan is refined and dotes on Squigly like her father and previous host did. This long familial history has made Squigly's bond with Leviathan deeper and more fundamental than that of most Parasites, and allows them to work harmoniously both in and out of battle like synchronized dance partners. Their unique circumstance also seems to have given them abilities beyond this world, as well.

Backer rewards include the following:
•Exclusive Wallpaper Pack
•Digital OST Download
•Steam Code Bundle
•Half Minute Hero Code
•Exclusive Poster
•Digital Sketchbook
•Exclusive Character T-Shirt
•Digital Art Compendium
•Limited CD Original Soundtrack
•Random Postcard Sketch
•Voice Actress Voicemail
•Larger Custom Drawing
•Custom Character Color
•Digital Art Commission
•Skype with Lab Zero Games
•Make a Background NPC
NEW •Limited Edition Animation Cel

Beats

Just put $5 down. I really want the $1000 reward, but I don't have a lot of cash at the moment lol. I hope she gets made!

Tizoc

Uh wouldn't the game be going for $15 like on PSN and XBL for the Steam release >_>;
Will still make my donation tho >=3

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hope funding for this goes well into those stretch goals. Getting even more new characters out of this would be great.

I will say that it's a bit lame that the digital art book as a reward doesn't kick in until the $50 tier, though. That should be a baseline inclusion starting around the $10-15 tier, as the cost to compile and distribute that should be pretty much nil.

Ravidrath

Here to answer questions, as always.

And I'll start revealing some characters as soon as I eat some breakfast...

Uh wouldn't the game be going for $15 like on PSN and XBL for the Steam release >_>;
Will still make my donation tho >=3

Need to ask a premium for the other stuff just because, like... we need to make money, not give it all away on rewards.

Malajax

This is kinda nuts. Almost 16k [edit: $27k!!!] donated in the 1st hour. If the pace keeps up, they'll be able to completely eclipse their projections. Unrealistic, but its a good sign!

In for $50 when I'm a bit more confident about money. I'd really like to see more of this series!

Eh, the character seems more interesting than some of the others. I'd still rather see more characters like Peacock. Ones without jiggle physics or exaggerated curves in general.

And yes, wouldn't you know it, Leo Kliesen happens to be my favourite Tekken fighter. You're good at guessing.

I'd also rather crowdfund getting Skullgirls on Steam sooner. I really want to buy this game on Steam. My Steam needs Fighting games.

Whoa, really? They didn't make enough on Skullgirls that they need to kickstart a character? I'm not saying they did make enough, I just find it so weird they need to reach out to the community to finish a single character. I though SG did over 50,000 digital sales?

GooeyHeat

Whoa, really? They didn't make enough on Skullgirls that they need to kickstart a character? I'm not saying they did make enough, I just find it so weird they need to reach out to the community to finish a single character. I though SG did over 50,000 digital sales?

Well, their publisher is going through a lawsuit and can't pay the team at all, so that's why this campaign exists.

Krackatoa

They made enough to pretty much guarantee continued development. If you've been keeping up on the drama, their publisher got smacked with a huge lawsuit for an unrelated reason and all further venture capital from said publisher was frozen in the courts until proceedings have finished (At which all capital could go up in smoke).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Last June, much of the Skullgirls development team was laid off due to legal issues and from what I understand, actually weren't paid for a bunch of work that they did.

alstein

You guys need more high-end rewards. You sold out in an hour.

That's quicker than a game journalist high on Doritos ^_^ (apologies to all the good game journos out there)

Worried you guys are missing out on money that's out there, sure the Japanese never got a crack at those rewards either.

joe2187

Banned
Eh, the character seems more interesting than some of the others. I'd still rather see more characters like Peacock. Ones without jiggle physics or exaggerated curves in general.

And yes, wouldn't you know it, Leo Kliesen happens to be my favourite Tekken fighter. You're good at guessing.

I'd also rather crowdfund getting Skullgirls on Steam sooner. I really want to buy this game on Steam. My Steam needs Fighting games.

As far as my knowledge of the PC release is, the PC version is not relying on any of the crowdfunding, it's definitely happening even if the crowdfunding doesn't pan out. The PC release is being funded by Marvelous AQL

Nyoro SF

You guys need more high-end rewards. You sold out in an hour.

That's quicker than a game journalist high on Doritos ^_^ (apologies to all the good game journos out there)

Worried you guys are missing out on money that's out there, sure the Japanese never got a crack at those rewards either.

I agree with this. Right now demand is outdoing supply. I don't know how much extra work it would be to create/ship the physical rewards if you opened up more slots / added tiers.

This is the first time I contribute to one of these. Just to be clear, my credit card won't be charged until after the dedline, right?

I'll definitely be getting the $30 pack as soon as I get home. Just to be sure of how this works, everyone that donates >$5 will get a code to download Squiggly for whatever console they already own the game?

Beats

This is the first time I contribute to one of these. Just to be clear, my credit card won't be charged until after the dedline, right?

I'll definitely be getting the $30 pack as soon as I get home. Just to be sure of how this works, everyone that donates >$5 will get a code to download Squiggly for whatever console they already own the game?

She will be free for a limited time for everyone.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

That's how Kickstarter works, but IndieGoGo will charge right away, I think. I believe it has to do with the fact that if the goal is met early, the cash will be released early. If the goal is not met, you'll be refunded your pledge.

As for Squigly, she'll be free for everyone for a limited time, whether you crowdfund or not.

Ravidrath

I believe your card will be charged as soon as we hit the first goal - IGG sends money as soon as you hit your goal so you can start working.

And we're going to release a patch and a free DLC unlock code, so everyone can get her free that way. After three months, we're going to increase the cost of the code to $5. But since you'll have already "bought" it free, you're not going to have to pay again.

GooeyHeat

I think indiegogo charges you as soon as the goal is reached, unlike kickstarter. As for downloading Squigly, she'll be free for everyone for a few months, after which one would have to buy her had they not already downloaded. If you did already download, though, then you have her forever.

EDIT: Ninja dog'd.

Maztorre

I believe everything from the $30 tier onwards gives you Beta access to the Steam version, so you would effectively be getting early access?

And yeah, Steam needs more non-Capcom fighters!

I'm definitely putting money in just so we can see more good fighters on Steam.

Ravidrath, do you guys have any semblance of an ETA on when the Steam beta will start up?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So, only people who pledge the 30 bucks tier will be able to get the Leviathan hat? I can't pledge right now but I'm looking forward to get it in the future for PC since I already have it on PS3...

Ravidrath

I'm definitely putting money in just so we can see more good fighters on Steam.

Ravidrath, do you guys have any semblance of an ETA on when the Steam beta will start up?

I expect May/June, or so?

So, only people who pledge the 30 bucks tier will be able to get the Leviathan hat? I can't pledge right now but I'm looking forward to get it in the future for PC since I already have it on PS3...

$30 and above, yes.

Top Bottom