• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

My list from http://chuckcharlesdesign.com/skullgirls.htm:

1 Roxie
2 Beowulf
3 Isaac
4 Panzerfaust
5 Stanley
5 Hubrecht
7 Molly
8 Mrs. Victoria
9 Annie
10 Umbrella
11 Feng
12 Ottomo
13 Minette
14 Eliza
15 Yu-Wan

UhAOs77.png

shaowebb

All I know is that if it has Lab Zero on it I will buy it. You're animations and character visuals along with the quality of your combat are just waaaaaaaay too good to not throw my money at. Plus you guys are so directly connected to your fans that the communication process is never one way. You actually talk to us all and its a great sign of respect and appreciation. Least I can do is always buy your games.

My thoughts on the whole sequel vs update patch thing is that you should do the update that got funded and then start making plans for a sequel but dont start throwing the term out a bunch till something with a publisher is finalized or unless you have enough content building up to give it some legs. This way you don't end up with rumor mills killing hype for PC releases and the wonderful stuff you have going right now.

Keep shooting for it, but keep it on the downlow till you have enough leverage or work to make it happen. Releasing one character at a time as you finish this fundraiser's content will be drawing folks in but if you do it and say a sequel is coming some folks might change their mind and just wait for the "new game" instead is all I'm saying.

For now I vote to just go with "we'd like to do a sequel" like you have always said and work on your update that got funded. With all the attention you got, the numbers the Marvelous AQL assisted PC release should drum up, and the japan release succes and how you are one of the top 10 crowd funded Indie gogo campaigns of all time you should have some good bullet points to throw in some peoples faces to get you closer to that sequel later on.

And if the publishers ignore you again when you do shoot for the sequel someday my wallet is always ready to help fund the sequel in another campaign when the time is finally right to start doing one.

Dachande

The character sorter is quite cool.

1 Feng
2 Isaac
3 Eliza
3 Minette
3 Beowulf
3 Scythana
3 Roxie
8 Ileum
8 Samson
10 Mrs. Victoria
11 Marie
12 Venus
12 Aeon
14 Umbrella
14 Black Dahlia
14 Andy
14 Beatrix
14 Panzerfaust
19 D. Violet
19 Annie
19 Stanley
19 Hive
19 Taliesin
19 Adam
25 Leduc
25 Regina
27 Molly
28 Hubrecht
28 Ottomo
28 Yu-Wan
31 Brain Drain

Yeah, that's more or less right, actually. The top 4 or 5 are, for sure - the rest below I don't really have much in the way of preference.

Kusagari

1 Eliza
2 Stanley
3 Beowulf
4 Panzerfaust
5 Annie
6 Brain Drain
7 Venus
7 Aeon
9 Feng
9 Taliesin

What I ended up with. Aeon's too far down, because I said I liked both her and Venus to begin with, but otherwise it's pretty accurate.

shaowebb

Oh wow character sorter is awesome.
It nailed my top picks in order perfectly!

Do this folks. Its really good.
Click here to have your favorite Skullgirls characters sorted to help you vote based on your opinion choices
1. Taliesin
2. Beowulf
3. Panzerfaust
4. Isaac
5. Venus
6. Aeon
7. Umbrella
8. Black Dahlia
9. Mrs. Victoria
10. D. Violet
11. Hive
12. Brain Drain
13. Andy
14. Feng
15. Hubrecht
16. Beatrix
17. Ottomo
18. Eliza
19. Minette
20. Leduc
21. Ileum
22. Adam
23. Molly
24. Samson
25. Marie
26. Stanley
27. Regina
28. Yu-Wan
29. Scythana
30. Roxie
31. Annie

Mista Koo

I apologize for the artists, but:

XjQnLVp.png

Both Scythana and Ottomo looked a bit boring to me, so I combined them. Now we have a baller gigan who can boogie, how cooler can it get?!

Great timing. Gameplay concepts for Eliza, Scythana, and Molly. Mike's also going to upload a vid showing off the prototypes without him talking and sort of focused entirely on the mechanics themselves.
Thanks.
Eliza seems ok, I guess I can't fully appreciate her mechanic without the awesome animations I expected (potential for crazy things forming from blood).
Scythana is kinda funny. Molly isn't for me since I never liked the support assists from Rival Schools (preferred attack).

1 Brain Drain
2 Beowulf
2 Aeon
4 Stanley
5 Beatrix
5 Adam
5 Isaac
8 Feng
9 Eliza
9 Panzerfaust
11 Mrs. Victoria
12 Minette
13 D. Violet
14 Hive
15 Andy
16 Annie
17 Black Dahlia
18 Roxie
19 Umbrella
19 Molly
21 Marie
21 Leduc
21 Ileum
21 Taliesin
21 Hubrecht
21 Regina
21 Ottomo
21 Yu-Wan
21 Scythana
21 Samson
31 Venus

Not actually how I intended to vote, but how can I argue with SCIENCE?

kirblar

My list:

Rank Character
1 Eliza
2 Stanley
3 Samson
4 Aeon
5 Beowulf
6 Venus
7 Feng
8 Isaac
9 Hubrecht
10 Molly
11 Brain Drain
12 Annie
13 Black Dahlia
14 Umbrella
15 Marie
16 Panzerfaust
17 Leduc
18 Yu-Wan
19 Roxie
20 Minette
21 Mrs. Victoria
22 Beatrix
23 D. Violet
24 Ottomo
25 Hive
26 Adam
27 Taliesin
28 Andy
29 Regina
30 Ileum
31 Scythana

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
1 Minette
2 Eliza
3 Ottomo
4 Aeon
5 Brain Drain
6 Isaac
7 Adam
8 Feng
9 Stanley
10 Umbrella
10 Marie
10 Black Dahlia
10 Mrs. Victoria
10 D. Violet
10 Annie
10 Hive
10 Leduc
10 Ileum
10 Andy
10 Taliesin
10 Hubrecht
10 Regina
10 Beatrix
10 Yu-Wan
10 Beowulf
10 Scythana
10 Roxie
10 Panzerfaust
10 Molly
10 Venus
10 Samson

SupaNaab

It's definitely a sequel and a massive amount of content. BlazBlue has made far smaller additions to the character roster and coasted by perfectly fine. Maybe these don't count to you, I guess.

I wouldn't say the Blazblue games count as true sequels though. It's more like going from Second Impact -> Third Strike, not SF3 to IV. It really depends on the type of content and how it's delivered.

+ Minor content that expands on the core game; I'd call it regular DLC.
+ Major content that expands on the core game in bulk, I'd call it an expansion update (worthy of a fighter subtitle like Blazblue does)
+ Major content that creates a new core mechanic released in bulk, I'd call a sequel

I think the problem for me is that what I'd like to see might not be possible for console players. Id prefer that Lab Zero create their brawler/beat-em-up (which would be totally worthy of a numbered sequel) and that it also acted as a standalone expansion to the original Skull Girls. This way if I own Skull Girls, I would just select the brawler from my menu. Also, hopefully character DLC would work in both versions of the game like MikeZ already has done.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wouldn't say the Blazblue games count as true sequels though. It's more like going from Second Impact -> Third Strike, not SF3 to IV. It really depends on the type of content and how it's delivered.

+ Major content that creates a new core mechanic released in bulk, I'd call a sequel

Oh so yeah the BB games CT->CS->CP are all sequels

TheOGB

Banned
Well here's my list courtesy of this site: http://chuckcharlesdesign.com/skullgirls.htm
My list from that site:
1 Eliza, Minette, Beowulf, Scythana, Roxie
6 Umbrella, Marie, D. Violet, Annie, Stanley, Panzerfaust, Adam, Venus, Aeon, Samson
16 Molly, Isaac
18 Andy, Feng, Taliesin, Beatrix, Ottomo
23 Black Dahlia, Mrs. Victoria
25 Brain Drain, Hubrecht
27 Hive, Leduc, Ileum, Regina, Yu-Wan
Sounds about right. :I Well, as far as the numerous ties thing goes, but as far as actual rankings, I need to tweak it some:

DA BEST TIER:
Eliza, Aeon, Isaac, Panzerfaust, Beowulf, Molly

TOP TIER:
Umbrella, Minette, Scythana, Black Dalia, Stanley, Roxie, Adam, Venus, Samson, Feng, Taliesin, Ottomo, Annie, Andy

DAMN-NEAR TOP TIER:
Mrs. Victoria, D. Violet, Beatrix, Hubrecht, Roxie, Marie, Brain Drain

NOT-TOP TIER:
Everyone else

Peter, I hope if you ask our faves already in the game there's an "all of the above" choice, because there's something I can appreciate about the whole cast
and I'm indecisive as hell, as you can see :'D

http://chuckcharlesdesign.com/skullgirls.htm
1 Beowulf
2 Annie
3 Panzerfaust
4 Feng
5 Molly
6 Venus
7 Eliza
8 Brain Drain
9 Black Dahlia
10 Beatrix
10 Ottomo
12 Isaac
13 Hive
14 Stanley
14 Aeon
14 Samson
17 Taliesin
17 Hubrecht
17 Regina
17 Minette
17 Scythana
17 Roxie
23 Adam
24 Umbrella
24 Marie
24 Mrs. Victoria
24 Leduc
24 Ileum
24 Andy
30 D. Violet
30 Yu-Wan

If I could get 2 from my top five I'd be pretty happy with this. I'm sad that Molly probably won't make it very far even though her gamplay sounds incredibly Mahvel and interesting. Beatrix has come a super long way for me if only because of the Lei Lei and Baiken inspirations. Swallowing projectles and countering with hidden weapons like Baiken? I'll take that, but I hope Mike doesn't make the counters too difficult to pull off either.

Everthing after #13 is a big whatever to me. The top thirteen interest me most. Andy sounds kinda fun, but more as a main character, not post release support.
Oh so yeah the BB games CT->CS->CP are all sequels
I had a feeling I'd see the Capcom comparison from him.
All I know is that if it has Lab Zero on it I will buy it. You're animations and character visuals along with the quality of your combat are just waaaaaaaay too good to not throw my money at. Plus you guys are so directly connected to your fans that the communication process is never one way. You actually talk to us all and its a great sign of respect and appreciation. Least I can do is always buy your games.

My thoughts on the whole sequel vs update patch thing is that you should do the update that got funded and then start making plans for a sequel but dont start throwing the term out a bunch till something with a publisher is finalized or unless you have enough content building up to give it some legs. This way you don't end up with rumor mills killing hype for PC releases and the wonderful stuff you have going right now.

Keep shooting for it, but keep it on the downlow till you have enough leverage or work to make it happen. Releasing one character at a time as you finish this fundraiser's content will be drawing folks in but if you do it and say a sequel is coming some folks might change their mind and just wait for the "new game" instead is all I'm saying.

For now I vote to just go with "we'd like to do a sequel" like you have always said and work on your update that got funded. With all the attention you got, the numbers the Marvelous AQL assisted PC release should drum up, and the japan release succes and how you are one of the top 10 crowd funded Indie gogo campaigns of all time you should have some good bullet points to throw in some peoples faces to get you closer to that sequel later on.

And if the publishers ignore you again when you do shoot for the sequel someday my wallet is always ready to help fund the sequel in another campaign when the time is finally right to start doing one.
True

They don't need to ask much about a sequel. They'll have massive amounts of character data and more proof of fan support than you can shake a stick at. I'm kinda wondering where the post fundraiser news is at, though. I'm guessing it got swallowed up by GDC.

Also, we can totally do the whole sequel thing now after seeing how this fundraiser went. Hopefully it doesn't come down to that, though. :p

Espada

My top 10 wound up being:

1. Black Dahlia
2. Eliza
3. Isaac
4. Venus
5. Stanley
6. Ottomo
7. Aeon
8. Minette
8. Panzerfaust
10. Feng

If we got any two of there characters I would be more than satisfied. If it was 2-3 from that top 5, I'd have no words for the joy I'd feel.

Mista Koo

I know, I was only joking. :p Its just what first popped up, when thinking of dancing and her long legs, kicks. Since you put Scythana/Ottomo as one.
I imagined this as well, because I think she needs to be more than just a prisoner.

Also she would look pretty awesome dancing while carrying her dead teammate :p

sephi22

1 Black Dahlia
1 D. Violet
1 Brain Drain
1 Eliza
1 Beowulf
1 Isaac
7 Venus
8 Aeon
9 Panzerfaust
10 Minette
11 Molly
12 Taliesin
13 Feng
14 Stanley
15 Regina
15 Beatrix
17 Mrs. Victoria
18 Yu-Wan
19 Ottomo
20 Adam
21 Roxie
22 Umbrella
23 Ileum
23 Scythana
25 Hive
25 Samson
27 Andy
28 Hubrecht
29 Annie
30 Leduc
31 Marie

I'm working on making a OT thread for the voting, should be up tomorrow when the voting officially starts.
I said I was going to do it, but this is even better.

Looking forward to seeing your thread.
Updated my Molly palettes to finish the requests from earlier. All palettes here

I know nothing about Gundam -.-
These palettes are great. I really hope someone from the art department takes notice.

Kioshen

Tried the DLC character ranker ... yeah that didn't help much. At least now I know which one I really want and it's Stanley 100%. The others I don't really care much.

1 Black Dahlia
1 Mrs. Victoria
1 Stanley
1 Brain Drain
1 Andy
1 Minette
1 Panzerfaust
1 Adam
1 Molly
1 Samson
11 Hubrecht
11 Regina
13 Scythana
13 Roxie
15 Beowulf
16 Umbrella
16 Marie
16 D. Violet
16 Annie
16 Hive
16 Leduc
16 Ileum
16 Feng
16 Taliesin
16 Beatrix
16 Ottomo
16 Eliza
16 Yu-Wan
16 Isaac
16 Venus
16 Aeon

Mr. Fix

1 Black Dahlia
2 Isaac
3 Panzerfaust
4 Marie
4 Mrs. Victoria
4 D. Violet
4 Annie
4 Stanley
4 Hive
4 Molly
11 Beatrix
11 Ottomo
11 Adam
11 Venus
11 Aeon
11 Samson
17 Umbrella
17 Regina
17 Eliza
17 Yu-Wan
17 Minette
17 Beowulf
17 Scythana
17 Roxie
25 Leduc
25 Ileum
25 Brain Drain
25 Andy
25 Feng
25 Taliesin
25 Hubrecht

On a side note, Robo Fortune totally needs an OTG rocket punch or laser spit.

Cbajd5

Because of all the excitement surrounding this I am now interested in it.

(((How/Where) do)/Can) I throw money to be part of the vote?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, I figured I'd give it a try, at least it got this much right!:

1 Molly
2 Minette, Roxie
4 Stanley
5 Ileum, Beatrix, Ottomo, Eliza, Yu-Wan
10 Regina, Aeon
12 Black Dahlia, Mrs. Victoria
14 Adam, Isaac
16 Beowulf
17 Hive
18 Scythana
19 Panzerfaust
20 Brain Drain
21 Feng, Taliesin, Hubrecht, Venus, Samson
26 Umbrella, Marie, Leduc, Andy
30 D. Violet, Annie

I don't agree with ALL of it, but not bad! I guess it's telling me to draw Minette and Stanley next, lol.

-------------

As far as "Skullgirls 2"... meh. I dunno.

From a pure game player perspective, I hate seeing stages, voicework, opening cinematics, and a bunch of other memorable stuff go to waste, while nearly the same game is still being played, with slight upgrades.

I look at what Skullgirls is now, with the reveal of all these characters, and I mostly see a base game that's waiting to get a bunch of characters added; With each character having unique gameplay elements, I'd rather just see animation frames for new hitstates and effects added to old characters, and get to see how THIS cast faces off aganist new challengers.

Would rather see this base SG grow, untill a need for large graphical or gameplay changes makes the "expansion" impossible.

As fas as a release with 4 characters upfront, 4 as future free DLC... hm. I think I'd like it better if a Sequel was frontloaded with the new characters, and then the old characters, after serious retooling / redrawing / updating were added in as free / cheaper DLC. It'd really make the NEW stuff seem fresh and fun out of the gate, and by the time we see the old again, they'll feel so refreshed, it'd kinda draw a "welcome back, old friend!" feeling, rather than a "I waited all year.. to FINALLY get the 'new' game!" feeling...

Updated my Molly palettes to finish the requests from earlier. All palettes here

I know nothing about Gundam -.-

I really like the Gundam one; If they were to make such a color, I'd love to see Molly get a red outfit similiar to the Gundam Crew of the original series, however. Would be nice to have her color-cosplaying as someone like Sayla or something...

I apologize for the artists, but:

XjQnLVp.png

Both Scythana and Ottomo looked a bit boring to me, so I combined them. Now we have a baller gigan who can boogie, how cooler can it get?!

I really don't mind either of their default outfits; looking "boring" in this game is ocassionally pretty welcome. If they'd work her Palette so that she could have solid color shirts and pants of seperate colors, I think her current look would be fine.

Ottomo looking like nothing more than a finely dressed... ROBOTIC?!--- gentleman works well for me, to. He's suppose to be plain, until you see him move. I'd love to see his Palettes give him the appearance of different suit types, like Checkered, Pinstriped, plain, or crushed leather.

Cbajd5

Now get to it!

Okay, I've never sent money through PayPal besides for paying for eBay stuff before.

I just do it through "Send Money" to the specified e-mail right? What should I choose under "What are you sending money for?" if I'm sending $4.08?

Is voting a good or service? Are the people at lab zero my friends?

Ultimadrago

Okay, I've never sent money through PayPal besides for paying for eBay stuff before.

I just do it through "Send Money" to the specified e-mail right? What should I choose under "What are you sending money for?" if I'm sending $4.08?

Ravidrath is your pal!

I believe you can send it through goods/services or gift. I've never seen it specified. It should be organized purely through email addresses and amounts anyhow. However, I'm not positive. Hopefully, Ravidrath can come on sometime tonight and clarify this?

has this been confirmed yet

As far as the Salty Cupcakes stream, it is tentative, moreso than the Linux port.

Ravidrath

Preferably Friend/Family member, since there are fewer fees on that. :p

SupaNaab

I really like the Gundam one; If they were to make such a color, I'd love to see Molly get a red outfit similiar to the Gundam Crew of the original series, however. Would be nice to have her color-cosplaying as someone like Sayla or something....

I'm realizing this as I do a Ghost in the Shell one. I made Molly the head of the Gundam because it's difficult to get all the minor colours in someplace on the body and still be recognizable. You can't just paint a pattern on her mech body because that's now how palettes function in a game (it would cause too much problems to make sure the pattern patches in every single possible frame). This is why some of the Stanley colours like Doc Brown aren't feasible despite looking cool.

Midnight is approaching where I live.

I'm more excited for Skullgirls than I've ever been before.

A burning energy is growing inside me. This hype train is loaded with fuel.

NeoZylom

1 Eliza
2 Aeon
3 Annie
4 Feng
5 Marie
5 Taliesin
7 Umbrella
7 Brain Drain
9 Mrs. Victoria
9 Leduc
9 Regina