• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim not officially confirmed by Bethesda for Nintendo Switch

Elandyll

Banned
It may mean it's just too early to talk about it...

Or

It could also mean they are reserving the right to back away...
Kindof a warning to Nintendo fans in a way: buy the console -and- buy 3rd party games to show us the Switch will be a viable platform.

Maybe... #shrug

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I mean, this is obviously because they have a PS4 port that they need to flog first, but why even feature so prominently in the video if you're not ready to announce your game. It's not a big deal -- Skyrim will launch on Switch -- but it's a bizarre all-round situation.

This is obviously what's happening. I don't know why people are getting upset about this.

Why are people freaking out about this?

Bethesda clearly said they support Switch and are looking forward to putting games out on the system.

We saw it included in the reveal.

It's a PR thing, period. It will be there later. This is obviously a "Buy the current console version instead of waiting for the portable one" PR response.
Anything to post Nintendo doom and gloom

Aikidoka

PR speak for "please buy the ps4/xb1 ports, then we'll talk about the switch port."

This doesn't really make sense. Skyrim has no problem with sales, and if this really was the case, they wouldn't have put footage of it in the Switch reveal trailer.

It's most likely just Nintendo being very closed off as usual.

LordKano

Then why are you saying that they wouldn't bullshot a game that is clearly too good looking to run on the Switch hardware?

Huh, I think there's a misunderstanding.
It looks too good to be the PS360 version, so it can only be the remaster. That was my point.

This idea that they are not announcing it because of the PS4/XBO version is such a reach in my mind. The cross-over market in that respect is not really significant. It's much more likely they are just waiting to coordinate with Nintendo's full-on software unveil to officially announce, which is completely understandable.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why would Bethesda care whether people buy it on current-gen systems or on the Switch?

Makes very little sense, it's the same money they'll make either way.
It certainly isn't for the negligible amount of people who will be double-dipping.

I'm smelling healthy Nintendo developer relationships already.

Why are people freaking out over obvious PR speak? This dumb shit has been falling out of PR mouths for decades now, and people still panic, and then talk about not buying a game they previously wanted from the anger. Really?

I don't understand how anyone can read the PR and interpret it as "the game isn't coming ever". It's clearly saying "we aren't ready to make the official announcement yet, also please buy the PS4/XB1 versions". Relax.

rockyt

That's just PR speech for to ease buy the Xboxone/PS4 remake version.

Basically they are not ready to announce the NX version a yet.

I don't understand this. You're going to purposefully cripple the software port for a SKU you've already spent time and money on? Do they really anticipate that many double dippers and genuine newcomers?

mario_O

well, it sounds like it's definitely not a launch title-window like the video kinda implies. or even not coming at all, and that they will bring other titles later on.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It isn't gonna be the remaster. There's a reason both Skyrim and NBA 2K17 (a PS360 game and a game with a PS360 downport, respectively) were the only 3rd party releases shown for this system.

And what's that reason? I see you being very well informed, so I expect also sources for definitive statements.

WEGGLES

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

What the hell?

If you weren't going to officially announce anything, why put it in the video? Baffling.

Crixus

Bethesda's PR is actually managed by their own in-house Radiant AI, this is just one of the many different things it could have said about the upcoming Skyrim Remaster on the Nintendo Switch. You've all witnessed the next evolution of gaming marketing speak.
Haha, nice!
Nintendo: I saw a mudcrab today.
Bethesda: Nasty little creatures...
Nintendo: I think I saw a Skyrim port too?
Bethesda: You n'wah! Goodbye!

Hoo-doo

Banned
Based on what?

Based on the remaster being made for X1 and PS4 and the Switch likely not being as powerful as those systems?

I mean, we're all guessing here. But it's a likely outcome. It all depends on how much effort is involved in porting a game to Switch.

PR speak for "please buy the ps4/xb1 ports, then we'll talk about the switch port."

You sure that's what's happening? Switch ain't stealing sales from PS/XB/PC and it never will, ever. The idea of saving the announcement for later to boost sales make no sense. It works when you own the device, not when the device is just announced.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You do realize that Bethesda wouldn't give a rats ass what platform you buy the game on, right?

Sure they give if you would buy 2 ports instead of one. For the same reason Rockstar announced GTA V versions one at a time.

Based on the remaster being made for X1 and PS4 and the Switch likely not being as powerful as those systems?

I mean, we're all guessing here. But it's a likely outcome. It all depends on how much effort is involved in porting a game to Switch.

You don't know the resolution at what Switch would render the remaster, you don't know the exact specs of the Tegra, like clocks and such when dock and mobile. So it's all tales from the ass at this point.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sure they give if you would buy 2 ports instead of one. For the same reason Rockstar announced GTA V versions one at a time.

Ah yes, the veritable millions of people that buy games twice.

That isn't very likely for a game that's five years old and already played by everyone and their dog. At least, I don't see it as the reason for Bethesda's announcement here.

It has got to be the fact that Nintendo just wants to do more formal game announcements later.

I don't think Bethesda are worried about the Switch stealing sales, per se. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't mind double-dipping - get the PS4/XB1 version this holiday (maybe even from impulse buyers tempted by seeing the game in the Switch trailer), and then when they find out they like it, buy it again on the Switch so they can play it whenever they want.

But yeah, like I've said before, they're obviously just waiting to do the announcement on their own terms once Nintendo fully opens the floodgates.

What? Have you all lost your minds? There wasn't any confirmed software in the reveal except Zelda. Are you saying Mario isn't coming? This is clearly just pr because they can't or doesn't want to confirm it yet This is non-news. They are propably just waiting official games reveal from Nintendo or some date when they can officially announce it themselves.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ah yes, the veritable millions of people that buy games twice.

That isn't very likely for a game that's five years old and already played by everyone and their dog. At least, I don't see it as the reason for Bethesda's announcement here.

It has got to be the fact that Nintendo just wants to do more formal game announcements later.

The reason is indeed that there is an announcement timeline already established, whatever the reason for that. It doesn't even matter in the end, it will be announced.

Edit: and about the overlap in sales, it doesn't need to be millions, but for sure they won't want to invest some money to produce an overlap in sales, it means less profit. They would try to do their best to maximise the profits, it's not that absurd. Even if I agree that it's less likely that this is the main reason for not confirming.

Top Bottom