• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim not officially confirmed by Bethesda for Nintendo Switch

TunaLover

Yeah, I noticed that, and inferred that the NDAs won't fully be lifted until after the first Direct, or the investor briefing, or whatnot.

Not that I expect a flood of AAA announcements, but surely there's more to come in the near future.
If Emily is to believe, the software coming for launch period will literaly blow Wii U out the water.

Solrac

bethesda right now...

giphy.gif

RootCause

Beth stop it.

So some techy maybe even fake video of some unknown Mario game, a new old character for Mario Kart, pants for Splatoon, and a Zelda game that's eventually going to be available on both WiiU and the Switch, and now a fake video of a game that isn't even on the console?

Holy shit. And some of you guys got excited for this?
I got a excited for a beast handheld. >:3

FoneBone

It's not backtracking on it. It's not confirming it yet. Like Nintendo didn't confirmed yet their games. Like 2k didn't with NBA. Because this is no yet on the timeline, it will come later. It's not that complicated to understand.

Yeah, this is really a non-story. If it's not formally announced at the full unveiling, then there's a problem.

EDarkness

This is being handled awfully regardless of the outcome.

You would think Nintendo and Bethseda would have discussed this beforehand.

No games were announced by even Nintendo...even though we saw them in the trailer. I have no doubt that Skyrim in coming. So no reason to be upset. They (Nintendo and Bethesda) don't want to reveal games for some reason right now. Most likely there will be a Direct in the future to showcase games.

Amazing, even if its coming to Switch later. Bethesda sure loves to throw console makers under the bus. One way or another, it looks bad to show a 5 year old game and then saying "oh we are happy to collaborate on the video, nothing is finalized!".

Best wishes.

I mean, this is obviously because they have a PS4 port that they need to flog first, but why even feature so prominently in the video if you're not ready to announce your game. It's not a big deal -- Skyrim will launch on Switch -- but it's a bizarre all-round situation.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Switch is such a weird place for games like Skyrim to show up. The argument cant exactly be "get it on the Switch because it will be the ultimate version". That honor clearly goes to PC and the PS4/Xbox one versions. The other argument is the portability, and im not sure Skyrim and other immersive triple-A games really shine there. If one just takes a look at portable gaming in general, the most popular games are usually a bit easier to pick up and play, and easier to digest in the kinds of spaces that you would normally carry around a portable console, with the only exceptions being more ambitious games that are exclusive to that particular handheld, such as certain 3DS games that cannot be played anywhere else anyway. Skyrim is available on so many consoles already, so doesnt really fit the categories i mentioned. I would imagine that the same would be true for any other ambitious home console games that could appear on the Switch while also having ps4/xbox/pc versions.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Is it more likely this is some sort of complicated business deal gone wrong / fascinating game industry political maneuver?

Simplest answer wins: Bethesda wants all focus on their release of Skyrim Remastered next week.

Or maybe it's as simple as them wanting to announce the Switch version?

So some techy maybe even fake video of some unknown Mario game, a new old character for Mario Kart, pants for Splatoon, and a Zelda game that's eventually going to be available on both WiiU and the Switch, and now a fake video of a game that isn't even on the console?

Holy wow have you leapt to conclusions.

This is the kind of PR bullshit that will make me not buy Skyrim for the Switch.

Seeing Skyrim on the go was a hype moment for me. This stupidity deflated that hype. Fucking dumbasses.

Hjod

Banned

What? I don't think Nintendo would have the balls to fake Skyrim for Switch then hope for the best haha.

Bethesda is the new EA.

Quite bizarre for Skyrim to be featured in the video for the Switch's reveal despite not officially being confirmed to release on the system.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why are people freaking out about this?

Bethesda clearly said they support Switch and are looking forward to putting games out on the system.

We saw it included in the reveal.

It's a PR thing, period. It will be there later. This is obviously a "Buy the current console version instead of waiting for the portable one" PR response.

El Topo

What? I don't think Nintendo would have the balls to fake Skyrim for Switch then hope for the best haha.

Maybe they're trying to show off the media capabilities of the system and the guy was *actually* just watching a video and got so excited that he mimicked the controls. /s

maxcriden

Bethesda is the new EA.

Quite bizarre for Skyrim to be featured in the video for the Switch's reveal despite not officially being confirmed to release on the system.

It's not officially confirmed, but no game other than Zelda is. Do you really think it's possible Nintendo is unwise enough to feature these games in the reveal video and not have them locked in for release on the system? I know they've made some boneheaded moves in the past, but I believe this would be...insane.

(Not meaning to single you out, I know several people are saying this, but I just don't follow the reasoning.)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I mean their just saying they'll have details to come.

No, that's it! If they don't announce it NOW, it will never come. Sure, they said they will announce the specific games later, but why they don't announce it now!

It's another Battlefield 3 that was announced or shown or something not very sure, but I heard for sure it was something and then disappeared /s

BuggyMike

Ummm all they're saying is that the aren't ready to talk about software for the Switch yet, today is clearly about the revealing the console itself. What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to jump through to conclude anything else? They even said they are happy about their partnership with Nintendo in the same statement. Why does the gaming community need to overreact and jump to conclusions on everything?

Unprecedented partnership 2.0.
Even confirming a remaster of a 2011 game is hard.

It isn't gonna be the remaster. There's a reason both Skyrim and NBA 2K17 (a PS360 game and a game with a PS360 downport, respectively) were the only 3rd party releases shown for this system.

Why are people freaking out about this?

Bethesda clearly said they support Switch and are looking forward to putting games out on the system.

We saw it included in the reveal.

It's a PR thing, period. It will be there later. This is obviously a "Buy the current console version instead of waiting for the portable one" PR response.

Gotta fill the daily "Nintendo is doomed" quota.

Top Bottom