• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sledghammer: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare not coming to Wii U, Treyarch not on game

Considering how Black Ops 2 and Ghosts sold on the platform, I don't blame them.

Activision gave the Wii U plenty of chances...it's just not worth the time and energy developing, marketing, and distributing the port.

Mature titles simply don't have an audience on the Wii U.

Everyone saying not surprising, yeah right, like the same thing has been happening since the Wii.

Actually, Call of Duty sold quite well on Wii. Even hitting 7 figures in NPD (USA) data at times.

Its horrible sales started with the Wii U.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Then I guess this is the end of CoD for me.

Shocking.

Who was even planning on getting it for Wii U anyway? It'd probably be the worst version of the game.
That's totally your opinion.

Considering how Black Ops 2 and Ghosts sold on the platform, I don't blame them.

Activision gave the Wii U plenty of chances...it's just not worth the time and energy developing, marketing, and distributing the port.

What marketing?

Dicer

Banned

Actually, Call of Duty sold quite well on Wii. Even hitting 7 figures in NPD (USA) data at times.

No DLC map packs and keeping them in the shadow realm until they hit shelves, meanwhile blasting the name of every other platform they are on, and this shocks anyone WHY again?

BLOPS2 is a fucking blast on the Wii U, and Ghost is competent if not a sub standard game in it it's own right

zruben

Banned
If that were the case then they would have announced Ghosts Wii U and other past CoD alongside the other platforms.

as much as I love my WiiU, the reality is that those kind of games sell like shit on the console. probably the cost of porting the game is higher than the potential profit they would get from its sales.

so yeah, sad for nintendo-only users, but it's a solid business decision.

Treyarch is not working on it.

rg6xWKy.png

Another guy asked a follow-up question about High Moon. He hasn't answered that one yet.

Well if Treyarch isn't doing it then I don't want it anyway.

I wonder if the Wii U will ever get another first person shooter. Pointer controls getting left in the dust.

shanafan

Did you count how many reviewed the WiiU version and the 360/PS3 versions?

Well, I will be a +1 in that category. I have Black Ops 2 on both Wii U and 360, as well as Ghosts on Wii U and Xbox One.

The Wii U Pro controller may help in this, but I love how smooth COD plays on Wii U compared to the Xbox versions. Sometimes I feel accuracy and hit markers are not very forgiving on Xbox compared to Wii U.

I will always prefer to play COD on the Nintendo platform, but not having DLC (or AW now), I still end up playing COD on Xbox for that additional content. But my main is on Nintendo.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
as much as I love my WiiU, the reality is that those kind of games sell like shit on the console. probably the cost of porting the game is higher than the potential profit they would get from its sales.

I'm not a Nintendo-only user, but if CoD isn't coming to Wii U (with pointer controls) then I don't want it.

shanafan

I wonder if the Wii U will ever get another first person shooter. Pointer controls getting left in the dust.

Makes you wonder if maybe Treyarch is working on a MW2 Remaster for Wii U, since it never came to the Wii.

Wishful thinking.

sonto340

This is absolutely absurd.
It would take little to no effort to get this game on WiiU. The CoD engine is there, and they're making a 360/PS3 version.
For shame Activision.

Until Nintendo start developing these games, nothing will change, they had Rare back in the days, but let them go thinking that Japanese development would be king forever....little did they knew...

shanafan

It would take little to no effort to get this game on WiiU. The CoD engine is there, and they're making a 360/PS3 version.
For shame Activision.

Agreed. With Destiny coming out, and how COD sells in the millions, you would think they could at least take a small hit and help support every reasonable platform.

AdanVC

Looking forward for the "Nintendo customers don't buy Call of Duty" statements from Activision's CEO... Sigh.

Oh well. Another one who leaves the Nintendo hype train, I guess. Anyway, we have Splatoon :)

Edit:

For shame Activision.

Agreed. With Destiny coming out, and how COD sells in the millions, you would think they could at least take a small hit and help support every reasonable platform.

Agreed! :(

For shame Activision.

Are you sure about that?

Here is the complete list of the Treyarch port team for the Call of Duty: Ghosts Wii U port:

HT8H70z.png

That's 38 people...not exactly "little to no effort" now is it?

Sean

Banned
If you do 0 marketing for it and basically not acknowledge its existence at all until very short before its release, then you can't expect anything else but it not selling at all.
Might as well not bother with it then.

CoD has one of the biggest marketing budgets out there.

It's true that Activision doesn't specifically advertise the Wii U versions, but then again they don't specifically advertise the PS3/PS4 versions either and those always sell great.

It has been on my mind with the recent Ubisoft announcement. Glad they were up front this time instead of keeping Wii U owners in the dark. I was surprised Ghosts came to be quite honest. This is much less so.

Mikey Jr.

Man, how can anyone trust getting a Nintendo console as primary next generation? I mean, losing cod now? That shit is bleak.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I wouldn't buy a High Moon CoD without Trayarch refined pointer controls schemes either. Well, maybe I would, but just to keep alive the hope of getting a CoD game with pointer controls in the future.

-MB-

Until Nintendo start developing these games, nothing will change, they had Rare back in the days, but let them go thinking that Japanese development would be king forever....little did they knew...

I thought 3rd parties did not like competing with Nintendo?

Hoodbury

RIP pointer controls for shooters. Too bad Sony didn't better support Move and get CoD to implement that control style for them. That would have been huge for me as I updated from Wii-U to PS4. Most likely won't get CoD this year for the first time in 5-6 years?

This literally happens with every Call of Duty game. It'll probably be announced months later by another Dev like the last few...

In previous years Activision was coy and didn't say anything until like September rolled around and they announced it.

Now? A Sledgehammer rep outright said "it was an Activision exec. decision...no Wii U port." It's a different situation than before.

For shame Activision.

It wouldn't be free for them to make it just because there's an engine in place. It's still going to cost them money and they've determined that the Wii U just isn't worth it. You can't really expect third party developers to continue to support a console when the users don't seem to be interested in buying their games in a great enough number.

The lack of marketing and parity with other platforms is why it sold like shit. Not the cost of porting. A simple lack of effort on their part. The userbase knows that it won't be there so they don't purchase it on that platform. Plain and simple.

Pikma

Banned
You know, Splatoon should really be a 3D platformer instead of some 5 vs. 5 MP nonsense with no SP mode.
Huh? It will have a SP mode, and it's definitely not nonsense, it's an incredibly unique and refreshing concept with a lot of potential.

Edit: OMG max, I'm sorry I just realized what you were talking about, hadn't heard about that nonsense before posting this -_-

MilesTeg

Banned
I hope there isn't a Black Ops 3.

I read a small rumor last month that maybe Treyarch was working on World at War II. This series needs to go back to WW2 imo.

I would be down with WaW 2. Not sure Activision would be though. At any rate, CoD needs a break from from the whole modern theme.

I'm now almost certain that Wii U don't get all this games because it's not as stable as PS4 and Xbox One.

Nintendo keep up with the stability updates !

success-kid.jpeg

But seriously some people were still waiting for a "good" news here?

I would be down with WaW 2. Not sure Activision would be though. At any rate, CoD needs a break from from the whole modern theme.
I'd say that there's probably a chance of a WaW 2 next year. It could be part of the new 3 year mantra that they now have, but also instead of only having 3 years to develop, the games are to be different as well. Alternating between future, present and past each year is what I could totally see happening.

But, Black Ops 3 is probably the most likely candidate for next year.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm more interested in Splatoon than COD:AW
Splatoon2.jpg

It's hard for me to get excited about 4 vs 4 online matches.

Anyway it made no sense to bother with a U version of AW when they don't even bother supporting Ghosts and Blops 2 with dlc.

The silver lining is that hopefully U owners will keep playing Blops 2 for their CoD fix! Love that game!

When you don't announce your Wii U SKU until long after you've revealed every other version, you put absolutely zero marketing behind it, you don't release any DLC for it and you don't even put the game up digitally on the eShop.....yeah, it's probably not going to sell very well.

If Activision had actually gone all out on the Wii U CoD games and they still sold horribly, they'd have a valid reason in my eyes to end the series on Nintendo's console.

I'd say that there's probably a chance of a WaW 2 next year. It could be part of the new 3 year mantra that they now have, but also instead of only having 3 years to develop, the games are to be different as well. Alternating between future, present and past each year is what I could totally see happening.

But, Black Ops 3 is probably the most likely candidate for next year.
I wonder how Treyarch is going to explain the existence of double jumping in 1944.

Ouch, another game that will not be on WiiU.

Nintendo costumers: Please, please, buy Bayonetta 2. It is your last hope to redeem non-Nintendo based games being successful.

Ouch, another game that will not be on WiiU.

Nintendo costumers: Please, please, buy Bayonetta 2. It is your last hope to redeem non-Nintendo based games being successful.

Bayonetta 2 is a collaboration between Platinum Games and Nintendo SPD who oversees the project...and, the project was completely funded by Nintendo.

Even though it's not 100% made by internal Nintendo studios...I would still call it a Nintendo game.

Mlatador

Banned
RIP pointer controls for shooters. Too bad Sony didn't better support Move and get CoD to implement that control style for them. That would have been huge for me as I updated from Wii-U to PS4. Most likely won't get CoD this year for the first time in 5-6 years?

I still have hope there will be a Wii U FPS wiht pointer controls that's not CoD.

High Voltage Soft. could do amazing things on the Wii U. The Condiut was awesome on Wii and looked amazing, considering the limited recources they had. Wii U has plenty of power, now we only need some capable people like High Voltage to take advantage of that.

Effect

WiiU install fanbase is low, but this kind of shit doesn't help

They did the same thing with the Wii versions save perhaps the CoD3. Do people remember the thread where the first look of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Reflex was the bad pictures of the back of the box!! Was after CoD 3 and World at War did well I believe. So it was already established there was a market for Call of Duty on the Wii even after the missed year because IW claimed CoD4 wasn't undoable on the Wii. The lack of acknowledgement of the Nintendo version of the games even existing has never made sense. Activision has never addressed it when questioned either.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I still have hope there will be a Wii U FPS wiht pointer controls that's not CoD.

High Voltage Soft. could do amazing things on the Wii U. The Condiut was awesome on Wii and looked amazing, considering the limited recources they had. Wii U has plenty of power, now we only need some capable people like High Voltage to take advantage of that.

I would take an Indie MP FPS build on Quake engine. Indie Wii U-dev GAF community should be on the case!

Top Bottom