• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass Graphics Comparison (Unreal Engine 4): PS4 vs Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What makes it look decent on Switch despite the lower resolution is that it has a decent AA. Yes, it makes it also look blurrier, but it's either that or big jaggies. This decent AA is desperately missing in 1st party efforts so far.

But this game looks like total ass.
image.php

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
How doesn't it? It looks better on PS4 but not dissimilar.

Eh, its a thread about gfx/performance comparison, if something looks and performs better (higher res/fps) its not similar to the competing device just because the image rendered features the same content.
I guess it depends on how much one wants to stretch the term similar.

Edit:
It can look worse comparing side to side, but you can clearly see it's the same game

Made me laugh out loud. :D

LOL If I make a thread that games on PS4 and PC looks similiar enough... People going to flip and war would begin..

There have been plenty of Switch and PS4 comparison threads, people are interested in knowing how the ports holds up. Snake Pass is also the first Unreal Engine 4 game.

Eh, its a thread about gfx/performance comparison, if something looks and performs better (higher res/fps) its not similar to the competing device just because the image rendered features the same content.

I think the fact the devices are so different and yet produce a comparable output should class it as similar. PS4 ports will always have the performance edge over Switch, but Switch is a portable tablet.

To the people who don't get how this is being considered "good news" for the switch is because the difference is not as apparent as the Wii vs PS3 era.

It can look worse comparing side to side, but you can clearly see it's the same game

Well they're both HD platforms, so that helps a lot with parity. The Wii didn't even output the same resolution which was a big barrier to games looking similar.

Personally I think it looks quite a bit better on the PS4, it looks blurry on the Switch. I can't see myself buying a game like this on the Switch if I could play it on the PS4, especially as I have a PRO.

The dip in visual performance would probably be more stark if the developers didn't have a bit of leeway to play with in regards to the framerate and resolution. I don't know what framerate its running at on PS4, but it's considerably above 30 and feels very smooth, with good frame pacing. Note that users in the OT have said that they did not feel that the Switch version is locked to 30, either.

The fact that they have a game running in Unreal 4 and running fairly nicely is encouraging but I feel that if it were a more action orientated game then you might see more stark performance differences. Beyond the physics computation of the Snake, Snake Pass features very controlled environments with only modest graphical qualities.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I think the fact the devices are so different and yet produce a comparable output should class it as similar. PS4 ports will always have the performance edge over Switch, but Switch is a portable tablet.

So if i compare WitcherIII on Ps4 with WitcherIII on PC worth 5T&#8364; (running at 8K/120fps) with scaled down pictures i could say,

"I think the fact the devices are so different and yet produce a comparable output should class it as similar. PC's will always have the performance edge over PS4, but PS4 is a cheap box"

Good luck with that reasoning.

NotLiquid

For a last minute port I'm rather amazed it works so well. With a little extra time I'm sure they could have gotten native resolutions working for the game.

Fredrik

Well, 60 vs 30 fps is a huge difference on it's own tbh.
But at least it shows that 60fps Unreal 4 PS4 games will scale nicely to Switch, as long as 30fps is okay.

disap.ed

Beside the lower resolution and framerate the lighting also looks a bit flatter, but nonetheless, keeping in mind this is the very first UE4 game on the Switch and the port has been done very quickly I think the result is very respectable and also promising for future UE4 titles.

faridmon

Nothing we didn't expect. The grass detail and the blur effect looks muhc more pronounced on the PS4 version, but the Switch version looks great in comparison.

However, Its disheartening that the Switch version is not 60 fps

It's nice that they are running on the Switch at all, really. But the only real appeal here is portability. I think people that own other platforms will skip out on technically inferior Switch ports once we have a larger first party lineup.

Personally I'll be playing Nintendo's own games, and other exclusive titles on the Switch, and playing multiplatform titles on PS4 where possible.

rjc571

Banned

I would say they look similar if you can't immediately identify the version from a single screenshot.

Is it immediately obvious which version this is?

DMe4I8C.png

Of course, if reference was a full frame video then the difference would be immediately obvious since the PS4 version runs at twice the framerate. But on graphical details alone, I don't see how anyone can say that they aren't similar.

bigol

Nice for Switch owners in this case but Dragon Quest Heroes II is UE4 too and looking at the Digital Foundry analysis resolution, framerate, geometry differences were a lot more visible.

So if i compare WitcherIII on Ps4 with WitcherIII on PC worth 5T€ (running at 8K/120fps) with scaled down pictures i could say,

"I think the fact the devices are so different and yet produce a comparable output should class it as similar. PC's will always have the performance edge over PS4, but PS4 is a cheap box"

Good luck with that reasoning.

Ok but making threads for PC vs console comparisons is a little meaningless seeming as a PC is only as powerful as you the user makes it, possibly to the point where it isn't in the same ballpark as PS4. It's interesting to compare Switch to PS4 as they're two competing products in very different form factors. Seeing the Switch handle Unreal Engine 4 in a manner that's comparable to the PS4 is impressive and the end result is a similar looking game. The thread doesn't down play Switch or PS4, just shows how capable the Switch can be with 3D ports.

It's nice that they are running on the Switch at all, really. But the only real appeal here is portability. I think people that own other platforms will skip out on technically inferior Switch ports once we have a larger first party lineup.

Personally I'll be playing Nintendo's own games, and other exclusive titles on the Switch, and playing multiplatform titles on PS4 where possible.

The portable appeal is huge for me though, I already have 12 Switch games and was following Snake Pass long before it was announced for Switch, it didn't take me long to decide I wanted the Switch version. As long as the game holds up I'll buy any multiplatform game on Switch.

oti

Banned
Nice for Switch owners in this case but Dragon Quest Heroes II is UE4 too and looking at the Digital Foundry analysis resolution, framerate, geometry differences were a lot more visible.

DQH2 should not be sold like that. It's atrocious.

Ridley327

Dragon Quest Heroes isn't UE4.

Yeah, that's running on Omega Force's proprietary engine that they use for all of their games. DQXI is the one that's running on UE4.

Truth be told, the fact that it's this close for a port that took mere weeks to knock out on significantly lesser hardware is rather extraordinary. I can't wait to dive into it myself later today.

NeoRaider

Probably a GTX 1070.
I can't get a locked 60 with High settings (nevermind Very High), using an RX 480 and i7 6700. At 1080p that is.

Wow, this doesn't sound very good.
Considering it's UE4 game and that it doesn't look demanding at all... what happened?

true Gek

I'm playing the game on PS4 and honestly the image quality is not that good. It looks blurried and the framerate seems lower than 30 fps in some situations. For a moment I believed that I was playing the game on the Switch.

Ridley327

Oh, didn't know they changed engine.

So, this is definitely looking good for UE4 games on Switch.

Omega Force doesn't use UE4, period. They have their own engine that they customize for the needs of each game that they put out, as not all Musou is created equally.

bigol

Omega Force doesn't use UE4, period. They have their own engine that they customize for the needs of each game that they put out, as not all Musou is created equally.

I was really convinced they used Unreal Engine 4, lol. I guess i was confused by Dragon Quest XI using it.

Ridley327

Are people really saying they look the same?
30 v 60
Low res[720?]vs 1080
Lower grass detail
Lower rendering distance
And i just saw two or 3 screens

I don't think anyone thinks that they're identical, but considering how much the look and feel of the game is preserved on the Switch version, it is rather impressive just how well it came together without too severe of compromises to contend with.

Are people going 'this game is obviously not very demanding' because it has colourful cartoony graphics?

That it doesn't run at a locked 60 fps on the PS4 should be a clue that it's more demanding than people are claiming.

The differences are about what I hoped. The Switch is clearly weaker (as expected) but it doesn't feel a generation behind, which is very impressive for what the system is.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's not at all close when you consider the resolution and performance, which are huge parts of any comparison like this.

Still, it looks great on both platforms and the game looks utterly charming. I'm really enthused by the dev's obvious passion for their project.

It's not at all close when you consider the resolution and performance, which are huge parts of any comparison like this.

Still, it looks great on both platforms and the game looks utterly charming. I'm really enthused by the dev's obvious passion for their project.

Close is subjective, obviously... but yeah, I'm with you. We wouldn't call a difference like this small between Xbox One and PS4 versions. I guess it's all about what your expectations were.

LordRaptor

Close is subjective, obviously... but yeah, I'm with you. We wouldn't call a difference like this small between Xbox One and PS4 versions. I guess it's all about what your expectations were.

If by "we" you mean "GAF", you're right, X1 vs PS4 differences like this would be a 40 page thread.
Those same differences between the PC and the PS4 however would of course be barely noticeable / pixel counting / who cares it runs great etc

olimpia84

Thanks for posting this. If I do get this game (I need to read some reviews/impressions before I pull the trigger) I'll get it for the Switch over the PS4.

terrier

doensn't seem very optimized on ps4 tbh.
1080p 45fps vs 720p 30fps is quite a jump, and also slightly better visuals on ps4 of course, and considering this is not a looker at all.
But i guess it is enough to consider portability over visuals in this particular game.
I wonder how will visuals for upcoming indies and 3rd party games compare though.

The Hermit

Edit:

Made me laugh out loud. :D

It's true though, you should see a comparison between modern warfare on the Wii vs PS3.

It was rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom