• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass Graphics Comparison (Unreal Engine 4): PS4 vs Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

orioto

Good Art™
I do wish 3D content looked as crisp on the Switch screen as 2D content and this sub-native stuff is beginning to worry me.

I'm always pessimistic, or just logical, but if devs don't have any obligation here, it's going to be pretty common.

I'm starting to wonder if the Switch shouldn't have had a 540p screen to begin with, if most 3D games can't reach 720p to begin with.

But it's not about Switch power really, it's about what the devs can do. That game could have lower models and run at 720p, it would look way crispier and natural, but they chose to have parity with sub-native, cause they can..

Nintendo is doing it to so there is no reason third party wouldn't.

People can measure framerates with their eyes, that is amazing.

Just so people are aware I own a Switch, I have seen a few post on here regards 30fps Switch is better because its stable when no official measure has been done.

No.

I said if Switch is a stable 30 and PS4 fluctuates between 40 and 60, that's a point in Switch's favor.

I then asked for some performance impressions from people who have played the game, since I have not.

Stop putting words in peoples' mouths and stop with the implied "we're Nintendo fanboys trying to justify our purchase" nonsense. Thank you.

oti

Banned
wait, people think it looks similar?

39a3190422c245edb53c4476d4223c19.png

You don't think it does?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well my eyes say this game runs smooth on switch handheld mode.

Some of you guys are hyperfocused on numbers.
The game plays fine relax.
Can't even tell the difference between the games.
Its like high vs ultra settings on pc.
After 10 seconds you forget.

Durante

Personally, in most cases I'd much rather have lower details and effects than sub-native rendering. It was a blight on PSV. Sadly that's probably not always possible for multiplatform games, and I expect sub-native to be rather common.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I learnt yesterday Splatton 2 was subnative in portable mode, yet it was the most impressive game I ever saw on a handheld.

I wonder how Snake Pass compares to Splatoon 2 in terms of blur (I couldn't see any blur in Splatoon 2).

39a3190422c245edb53c4476d4223c19.png

You don't think it does?

Similar as in, same graphical difference as a game on PS4 vs on my PC. So not as beautiful, but looking good enough to be worth it on Switch with its portable advantage.

what's different besides the resolution?

i don't wanna start a war or something lol. But it looks blurrier and lower framerate no?

Not saying there's stuff missing or anything

orioto

Good Art™
Personally, in most cases I'd much rather have lower details and effects than sub-native rendering. It was a blight on PSV. Sadly that's probably not always possible for multiplatform games, and I expect sub-native to be rather common.

Yes Durante,
I'd like devs to hear you!

Nintendo should make the natire rez on portable mandatory if such a thing is possible.
Honestly the idea of that wonderful 720p screen that would be rarely used for what it is is a big bummer..

That's really important for a portable.

Mokujin

For a system 1/3 ~ 1/4 as powerful and such a fast port looks like a real nice version, this may probably be my next portable game after I finish Zelda.

NEO0MJ

What's needed to achieve maxed 1080p60 on PC?

Might need to be a little beefy. As per steam this is the minimum:

Processor: Intel Core i5-750 2.68Ghz / AMD II x4 945 3.0Ghz or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 560 2GB/AMD Radeon 6870 HD 2GB or equivalent (Integrated graphics not supported)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 5 GB available space

It's not explained what the settings are though I imagine it's around 720p/30FPS with low graphical settings.

oti

Banned
Yes Durante,
I'd like devs to hear you!

Nintendo should make the natire rez on portable mandatory if such a thing is possible.
Honestly the idea of that wonderful 720p screen that would be rarely used for what it is is a big bummer..

That's really important for a portable.

Out of all things this is the least important thing for me tbh. Just make it run smoothly. Everything else is secondary as far as I'm concerned.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If people can't work out roughly what a framerate feels like with their own eyes then what's the point in worrying about framerate at all?
numbers man ! Numbers.
Higher is better! 😂😂

Anyone with an Elgato able to snap some max-quality PNG 1080p shots of the Switch version docked? Can Elgato somehow capture footage of it undocked?

I have the tools, just not the Switch and the game to do so. :p

So has anyone actually confirmed what the docked resolution is yet? Why does the Eurogamer article about Snake Pass coming to Switch say 1080p at 30fps? Where did they get that info from?

Taker666

They've done a great job of replicating the game on the Switch..and that's all that really matters isn't it?

The choice is pretty simple.

Get the PS4 version if you want the best visuals, the Switch version if you also want to play on a handheld as well as on the tv.
It's not like you need to go to war over it when both versions have an obvious specific advantage over the other...it just depends which advantage means more to the individual.

Totally agree with that. Sub native res is the best way to hurt good IQ and DPI of these screens.

Zafir

It's worth mentioning for future comparisons: The Switch is not a homeconsole. It's a tiny tablet that can mimmick a home console in some regards.

I mean I don't think anyone expects it to be able to produce the same output as a PS4...

I'm not going to lie though, I'm disappointed it's sub-native in handheld mode. Sub-native resolutions on something that you're sat close to is not fun. There's a reason I get so annoyed at PC ports not suppporting 1080p+ (I've a 1440p monitor).

I mean I don't think anyone expects it to be able to produce the same output as a PS4...

I'm not going to lie though, I'm disappointed it's sub-native in handheld mode. Sub-native resolutions on something that you're sat close to is not fun.

I mean I don't really notice anything off during gameplay myself besides the lack of finer details if in docked mode, but that's just me I guess.

Zafir

I mean I don't really notice anything besides the lack of finer details if in docked mode, but that's just me I guess.
I notice it quite a bit, the image just looks way softer/blurrier than if it was native. I will admit I'm sensitive to image quality though.

Even with sub-native res for both docked and handheld, the fact that the visual fidelity between the two games is very similar is quite impressive, and bodes well for UE4 ports, at least. And this is a game with very nice visuals in general.

Yjynx

LOL If I make a thread that games on PS4 and PC looks similiar enough... People going to flip and war would begin..

The Hermit

To the people who don't get how this is being considered "good news" for the switch is because the difference is not as apparent as the Wii vs PS3 era.

It can look worse comparing side to side, but you can clearly see it's the same game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom