• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

snow areas in games...

Ruff

3-C59_002.jpg

Snow maps are awesome and fun

shiba5

Can't agree. I love snow. Best part of The Division is the blizzards and watching snow collect on my character.

snow blowing in your face, bone-chilling winds, reduced visibility, apartment that won't quite get warm, dreary monochromatic landscapes

as a scandinavian i already get enough of this shit, i play games to escape it

pls devs the pain is too real, keep it out of your games :(

Playing RotTR right now. I kinda get what you mean. Is freezing here and in the game.

Doesn't help that they force that irritating holding herself for warmth animation sometimes.

Otherwise a decent outing, though.

The newest zone they added to GW2 is a snow zone. I really it a lot. It reminds me of Frezzey Peak in Banjo-Kazooie.
It's true that snow areas can be boring in some games, but they can also be amazing. In Skyrim, seeing the northern lights across a mammut graveyard in the frozen tundra. I love it.
In Wrath of the Lich King as you explore the peaks of Northrend. In Witcher 3 when you sail for hidden treasures in Skellige and fight the men of the sea in brutal brawls.

Snow areas lose their effect for me when it's treated as a formulaic archertype. Like when you have a game that has a snow zone, a lava zone, a beach zone. Like Jak and Daxter. That game always came off to be as insincere compared to what Rare achieved with their level Designs.

GTA in a snowy city. Make it happen. Icy roads, snow up to pelvis, blizzard and low visibility, ploughing and all the yellow snow jokes coming from Rockstar.

Sorry, OP, love me some snow levels. Skyrim, I am Setsuna, Never Alone winter scenes in general like in Persona 4 and
Journey
or even rally racing games.

I really should be sick of it, being Canadian and all.

GTA in a snowy city. Make it happen. Icy roads, snow up to pelvis, blizzard and low visibility, ploughing and all the yellow snow jokes coming from Rockstar.

Bully actually did this (in a way) with the winter season at Bullworth Academy.

Also the snowy jungle always looked so great in Crysis 1/Warhead.

It's the exact opposite for me, actually. Whenever a game has a snow level, that usually ends up being my favorite level in the game.

The second half of Uncharted 2, the snow levels in Crash 2, Christmas Town in Kingdom Hearts II... All so nice and charming...

BDGAME

snow blowing in your face, bone-chilling winds, reduced visibility, apartment that won't quite get warm, dreary monochromatic landscapes

I never see snow in my life, but I agree with you. Most of the games don't have good snow levels. My personal exception is Donkey Kong Country.

Donkey_Snow.gif

Edit:beating.

Rellik

Tell me about it. And in San Andreas too. There was a mission where you travel to LC and it's winter. It was a cutscene IIRC, but ever since I've been wanting GTA with snow.

Maybe we'd get the gloves after all.

GTA Online covered the whole map in snow.

Sadly I hate GTA Online so never got to play it.

Wow, this wasn't what I expected, as snow levels are my favorite in games, and I'm someone who loves to adventure during the winter.

Please keep doing snow levels.

Menitta

I 100% disagree. Snow is the best in games. There's no greater feeling than playing a game that has matching weather as outside, and snow is the best at this.

I love a good snow level, especially games with convincingly harsh blizzards. I remember loving how violent the snowstorm was at the start of MGS4 act 4.

Love the snow in real life too, it's why winter is my favorite time of year.

GTA Online covered the whole map in snow.

Sadly I hate GTA Online so never got to play it.

Oh, is there? I didn't fancy V so I wouldn't know. And whatever the case, I'm not into the online side either. I wonder if it's more a texture or closer to something that actually affects gameplay.

But how about me who have never seen/experienced snow in my entire life (and probably will never)?

Please don't. I love snow.

Oneself

I live in Montréal and have to deal with winter 5-6 months per year...

And I LOVE snow levels. Keep em coming devs. :)

(Some of the best most memorable levels IMO were snow ones. See DKC2, Jak&Daxter, FF6, Mario3, Mario64, the original Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted2... Rally games, The Division, Lost Planet!)

E92 M3

Came into this thread happy to discuss snow levels only to find the OP loathing them! There are not enough snow levels, in my opinion. Skyrim is probably my favorite Winter based game.

JaseMath

Disagree with OP. When done correctly—Phendrana Drifts, Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy VI—snow levels can be incredibly atmospheric.

bosseye

Haven't had snow in real life for 4 years now, so I love snow in my games. The Division had some brilliant snow, the whole city was awesome, felt really cold. Shame about the end game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
da goat

I think the only snow level I actively dislike is the dark winter mountain in Resident Evil 6.

RiggyRob

It's criminal there aren't more Viking games, really.

Snow levels/games seem to be making a bit of a comeback though what with Dark Souls 3 Ashes of Ariandel DLC and God of War 4.

Top Bottom