• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

snow areas in games...

Don't be a flake. Everyone snows that winter levels rock. I wouldn't white them out of my design sheet.

I'm really enjoying Rise of the Tomb Raider right now. The way the snow interacts with you, and how it falls down slopes etc., really looks astounding on my PC.

While we're posting gifs/pics

BewitchedDemandingBarnacle.gif

R&C

Toni

The Winter chapter of The Last Of Us will redeem your faith, op.

You owe it to yourself to play that.

Strongly disagree, snow levels are some of my favorites in many games :). Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FF6, a lot of racing games (DKR, MK)... could go on for awhile haha

compo

Banned
I grew up in Buffalo NY, which basically gets blizzard levels of snow every year, and I still like snow levels the best. Whenever I play an RPG with a snow area, I always choose to play as the race that come from that area.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Maybe not the most popular choice, but I loved the snow levels in Crysis. Beautiful to this day.

Falchion

Snow levels are the absolute best and I love playing them in the winter. I'll even open up my window and get under 5 blankets when playing something like Rise of the Tomb Raider because it feels like I'm in the game.

KC-Slater

The snow in some (all?) of the levels of Until Dawn: Rush of Blood was an interesting choice. I haven't play Until Dawn, so I'm not sure if the snow is intrinsic to that storyline, but it did somehow add to the overall creepiness of being in a (haunted) amusement park outside of the traditional season...

Brokun

As someone who grew up in a Canadian province that has snow for half of the year and now living in a province that has none, I'm incredibly in favor of snow in video games. I miss it more than I thought I ever would.

I'm sorry OP you're on your own.

Stromlord

Cainhurst Castle is amazing though and Logarius is an equally amazing encounter.

Probably my favorite area in a souls game.

I'm playing through Arkham Origins right now and has a really well-done, snowy Christmas Eve atmosphere. Compared to the the half-assed snow in Arkham City, this game nails it.

Stiler

There aren't NEARLY enough "snow/winter" areas in games imo. Most of them don't even do it justice and simply have snow be a white-texture over crap (IE Skyrim).

Only a few games have did it justice, like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed 3, and Rise of the Tomb Raider and even then there were things they left out, like how snow "sparkles" and such and isn't simply plain white.

However what really sucks is that no developer has really tried to tackle unique cold landscapes, things like Ice caverns, Tundra's, glaciers and glacial caves, fjords, etc.

GazzaGSi

I can image seeing snow day in, day out leads you to dislike it in games but for me I personally love it!

The Division setting/theme is awesome, especially when the blizzard kicks in and looks stunning.

I've just started DiRT Rally and the first stage I loaded up was a Swedish stage for the snow :)

And lastly, Diddy Kong Racing 64!!! Getting to the dark snow races on that looked fantastic and it always reminded me of Christmas as a kid so whenever I think of snow in games it takes me back to being a child replaying DK Racing 64 on snow world over and over again.

m00h

Banned
I absolutely love snow in games. There was one Half-Life multiplayer mod called Snow War which was one of the best snow war simulators I ever played.
There were not many people online, but I spent so many winter nights with one of my friends battling each other till the early morning hours. My friend passed away 10 years ago and since then I never played against anyone else (besides few bots) since the mod was quite unpopular and pretty old, so no one actually joined an online match ever again.

Top Bottom