• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

snow areas in games...

DrSlek

snow blowing in your face, bone-chilling winds, reduced visibility, apartment that won't quite get warm, dreary monochromatic landscapes

as a scandinavian i already get enough of this shit, i play games to escape it

pls devs the pain is too real, keep it out of your games :(

I live in Australia. Do you know how many times I've seen real snow?

Not once in 30 years of life

Dec

I don't remember much about Rift, the MMO but for some reason I remember this one zone where you couldn't see shiiit. Thought it was neat.

4MxjIaT.jpg

AyzOn

Neo Member
I love snow in games.

Borderlands 2 first couple levels coupled with kyd´s (?) soundtrack had a cool vibe to it.

Idk why but snow in games make those level always seem more "mystical" and interesting.
Also I get kinda nostalgic because they make me think of Banjo kazooies/mario64 snow levels.

Jay Sosa

As someone who just played the snow 'section' in TLOU I can only disagree. Maybe it's because we hardly get any snow around these parts anymore.

They do tend suck on LCD/LED screens though, thanks to DSE. That's hardly the games fault though.

Juraash

I don't think we get enough of them honestly. I want more Skyrim-esque "this entire thing is in the snow" games.

Even when I lived in an area where it snowed, and hated it, still wanted more snow levels. I'll accept gloomy and rainy as a substitute though.

As someone who just played the snow 'section' in TLOU I can only disagree. Maybe it's because we hardly get any snow around these parts anymore.

They do tend suck on LCD/LED screens though, thanks to DSE. That's hardly the games fault though.

what is dse and why does it affect the look of snow areas

i have an lcd

Galdius

I love snow levels in games and I wish there were more of them. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Earthbound's Winter yet. It has an amazing atmosphere and great music.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dead Space 3 Snow level is awesome fer me...

Dead-Space-3-1.png

I've been feeling like replaying this game lately, and this makes me want to even more. The environments are actually pretty great in that game, both the space stuff and the snow stuff. It's too bad about the story. And the human enemies. And the enemy placement/spawning.

Everything about ice/snow levels is amazing

Except the gimmicks. Bad traction, low visibility, frozen status, frostbite, limited mobility...it's like they are the goldmine of gimmicks, hazards, and status effects next to swamp levels.

Even then the gimmicks can make those levels fun. Unique puzzles and whatnot

nkarafo

I also used to love snow tracks in racing games. Because of the way foliage was covered in snow, it also covered how ugly those effects used to look. Today, foliage effects look photorealistic enough but i still like the snow more in Dirt Rally:

mlclmtckr

Banned
The amazing indie game Skeal has the best snow level ever, ever made. So moving and evocative.

If you haven't played Skeal you should definitely try it out, it's free and takes like 5 minutes. Just make sure you go in blind; spoilers totally ruin it.

jelly

I've been feeling like replaying this game lately, and this makes me want to even more. The environments are actually pretty great in that game, both the space stuff and the snow stuff. It's too bad about the story. And the human enemies. And the enemy placement/spawning.

It's the only one I haven't played but I read so much hate for it with the micro transactions as well as what you said that I didn't bother. Still tempted....but don't want ruin my good time with the last two.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 has some amazing looking snow levels, you can even die if you don't find cover at one point. Love the wind blowing up the cold.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dark Souls 3 - Irithyll of the Boreal Valley

QD2cVfi.jpg

Not fully snow covered but its still the best area in the game, has two of the toughest bosses in the game and it culminates in a finale which will make most Dark Souls fans giddy with excitement when they realize whats going on.

Myriadis

Snowy Mountain was the best level in Jak and Daxter by far. That level oozes atmosphere.

1459986-festivalv04s3uyb.png

Also liked Festival Town in Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

All in all, I absolutely love snow levels. I can understand why it gets annoying of you have it for weeks or even months tho. No snow so far in middle germany :(

AudioEppa

Hey developers before you listen to this guy, take my request first. Erase all jungle sections from your future games.

nkarafo

I think most people like snow levels because of the cozy, warm feeling they evoke. It also reminds us of christmas, which is everyone's favorite holiday of our childhoods.

Paltheos

Snow is fine, it's those goddamn water temples I am sick of.

Water levels can be great. It's just when they're wasted on 'the sewer level' and poorly designed gimmicks that they're the worst. Off the top of my head, I love AM2R's water level for its brilliant atmosphere and Tales of Zestiria's water level for being one of the only stages in the game with any semblance of challenge (the transporter gimmick is cruel but always fair, and you're forced to remember effective dead ends on your map)

Nerix

Love snow levels. The absorbed sound, melancholic atmosphere...

Uncharted 2s snow was so great, the effects when walking through it

Ahh, my favorite piece from TW3's OST.

Dark Souls 3 - Irithyll of the Boreal Valley

QD2cVfi.jpg

Not fully snow covered but its still the best area in the game, has two of the toughest bosses in the game and it culminates in a finale which will make most Dark Souls fans giddy with excitement when they realize whats going on.

gorgeous view ahead
but be wary of monstrosity

Top Bottom