• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how does Splatoon keep its 60fps?

Akainu

The art is considered good? That had to be the worst thing to me about it. Anyway it looks decent. I don't see what is so impossible about it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Because the texture resolution, geometry complexity, character models, audio samples, and calculation complexity of the ink splatter (no, it is not infinitely layering liquid physics) is all simple enough and reasonably balanced for the Wii U's hardware strengths and weaknesses.

Nintendo is really good at art that fits the power of the WiiU. Also i'll take 60fps over graphics anytime. Hope it starts a trend for the other consoles.

gogogow

I dunno how does CoD?

Seriously though, CoD has reliably been 60 on somewhat weaker hardware and with seemingly higher quality textures. It shouldn't be that hard for this. The fact it's 8 player is also a significant factor undoubtedly.

By being sub-HD.

But yeah, Splatoon has small maps and relatively few characters on screen. The game still looks really nice and i'm happy Nintendo is prioritizing framerate and gamplay. I really love the character design. They all wear a different shirt and sneakers. I hope they lets us customize them, having unlocks etc.

Just look at them sneakers!

splatoon-sneakersw0sx8.jpg

*cough* Uncharted *cough*

Why are you coughing? Why would you type out your coughing? Is this a thing? Type out stuff like that?

Anyways, we got a long ways to go till we see that game running. Uncharted had a huge downgrade in retail from what they shown at E3.

Lernaean

Banned
Why not both?

Well ofcourse the WiiU cant, but others can.

I don't doubt they can, but so far everything we've seen is flash over substance with developer after developer failing to implement it. Some use ridiculous excuses for the reasons they did so, like that it was their artistic decision for example.

The WiiU may 'can' and may also 'can't', but so far it's the only console that cares to release game after game on 60 fps.

And yes, Splatoon is not really demanding, but it looks dope and runs smooth, and all that because the developers that work on it want to release a good gameplay experience with balanced gameplay, visuals and performance, while others, sadly if i may add, only care to pump up the visuals so the game can generate good stills for marketing purposes, not caring if the game performs like crap.

This is not Nintendo defense. It counts for other developers too. As a PS4 owner i remember threads full of posts of why Ground Zeroes 'doesn't look like a next gen game'.

Well it looks great to me and also manages to run smoothly at 60fps, how about that?

gogogow

Why not both?

Well ofcourse the WiiU cant, but others can.

the Wii U can't what exactly?

I don't doubt they can, but so far everything we've seen is flash over substance with developer after developer failing to implement it. Some use ridiculous excuses for the reasons they did so, like that it was their artistic decision for example.

The WiiU may 'can' and may also 'can't', but so far it's the only console that cares to release game after game on 60 fps.

And yes, Splatoon is not really demanding, but it looks dope and runs smooth, and all that because the developers that work on it want to release a good gameplay experience with balanced gameplay, visuals and performance, while others, sadly if i may add, only care to pump up the visuals so the game can generate good stills for marketing purposes, not caring if the game performs like crap.

This is not Nintendo defense. It counts for other developers too. As a PS4 owner i remember threads full of posts of why Ground Zeroes 'doesn't look like a next gen game'.

Well it looks great to me and also manages to run smoothly at 60fps, how about that?

I'm not sure what he means with "can't". Nintendo released a ton of games that run at 60fps.

Anyway, MGS:TPP is not "next-gen" enough, because mostly of the character models and dithering, which comes from the PS3 version, in other words, being a cross gen title hurts the graphics.
Imo it still looks very nice, especially in motion and 60fps is a huge plus in my book.

DeaviL

Banned
EAD wizards cast Nintendo magic for 10d6 plus 1d2 for every 2 levels as an EAD wizard.
It's very effective.

Mohonky

Art married with technical know how. The game doesnt look all that taxing to be honest, but balancing technical proficiency with good artistic vision has certainly been paying dividends for Nintendos massively unpowered console.

Personally I have no problem jumping from Wii U to PC and back again, PC games look more 'busy' in how intricate they can be, but there is also something to be said for bold simplicity that has its charm and I think its Nintendo has balanced well on many of its titles achieving good looking, well performing tirles on modest hardware.

wsippel

Banned
It just seems very efficient:

n0dFIXm.jpg

The visual style allows them to get away with few, low color depth textures, decals are high resolution but use only one or two colors, geometry is just as dense as it needs to be. But that efficiency allows them to do fun things like 3D fluid dynamics while still maintaining 60 frames per second.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It just seems very efficient:

n0dFIXm.jpg

The visual style allows them to get away with few, low color depth textures, decals are high resolution but use only one or two colors, geometry is just as dense as it needs to be. But that efficiency allows them to do fun things like 3D fluid dynamics while still maintaining 60 frames per second.

Are there actually any fluid dynamics in this game though? You don't have any ink flowing around, it just statically splatters where it hits. And the ink shooting doesn't look more advanced than the water shooting in Super Mario Sunshine two console generations ago.

Well, it is developed by Nintendo. So I'm sure that they know their own hardware very well and would be very good and doing nice things with it.

Thrakier

Right priorities. Nintendo once again puts the game back into videogame. Except that 59/60FPS mess in Mario Kart...

EVH

It is a very simplistic game that actually doesnt really need too much complexity in the maps because that would probably make harder navigate in the ink.

Personally i think that it could be possible a 3DS version, and would love to see one, but of course the problem with the second stick is there, even if I enjoyed quite a lot of hours playing Kid Icarus multiplayer.

EDIT: This has not fluid dynamics at all, and it doesnt need them. Just a new way to use the Super Mario Sunshine painting technology.

wsippel

Banned
Are there actually any fluid dynamics in this game though? You don't have any ink flowing around, it just statically splatters where it hits. And the ink shooting doesn't look more advanced than the water shooting in Super Mario Sunshine two console generations ago.
Look at the screenshot. The ink blobs are 3D objects, no two blobs look the same, the impacts are also 3D and all look different, seemingly reflecting the speed and angle of the impact.

Lernaean

Banned
Look at the screenshot. The ink blobs are 3D objects, no two blobs look the same, the impacts are also 3D and all look different, seemingly reflecting the speed and angle of the impact.

Indeed, there are fluid dynamics there that pretty much result to mapping after it settles, but there are fluids on screen at all times.

mclem

Worth bearing in mind that a significant component of the core concept was basically running on the Gamecube. At least as far as splattering the environment is concerned. Trying to remember if the airborne paint/water blobs looked as naturalistic back then.

wsippel

Banned
Indeed, there are fluid dynamics there that pretty much result to mapping after it settles, but there are fluids on screen at all times.
That's exactly how it appears to work. Either way, the tech is nothing like what we've seen in Sunshine as far as I can tell.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
EAD is no scrubs when it comes to optimizing software.

And by starting by setting goals for gameplay experience with the hardware limitations at hand, instead of blindly aiming for maximum eye candy

bryehn

Really simple textures and limited to 4v4. Rather small character models, camera view that's fairly pulled back. No reason it shouldn't run at 60.

Frodo

Right priorities. Nintendo once again puts the game back into videogame. Except that 59/60FPS mess in Mario Kart...

Except it still displays in 60fps, and the duplicated frame only happens when you have CPU opponents for some reason.

wsippel

Banned
Really simple textures and limited to 4v4. Rather small character models, camera view that's fairly pulled back. No reason it shouldn't run at 60.
A pulled back camera is actually more demanding because it increases the field of view, so the system has more stuff to render.

Upcoming Blockbusters like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Alien, Diablo, Fifa are 60fps.

Do any of them games look great? I don't really think so though I haven't seen Fifa so maybe that game will break the trend. And I think 60fps over next gen graphics is the right move. I just dont think the laptop APUs in these consoles can give both.

wsippel

Banned
And also characters are calculated by polycount, not model size.
Yeah, but they really are fairly low poly. And you can get away with low poly characters if they appear small, of course. Another case of Nintendo getting their priorities straight.

Lernaean

Banned
Yeah, but they really are fairly low poly. And you can get away with low poly characters if they appear small, of course. Another case of Nintendo getting their priorities straight.

I agree. What i'm saying is that in this case, polycount is maybe higher than other models irrelevant of size. Actually these models + their paintguns probably have higher polycount than say a Mario model.

Axass

Nintendo magic
Not a lot of polygons, just great art direction
Developers who actually give a shit

Mostly, internally developed Nintendo games are always impressive from a technical standpoint, even on inferior hardware. Give the same concept to Ubisoft, EA or Activision and see the crap they come up with, it's like they're not even trying.

Striek

By not having bells nor whistles and focusing on 60fps as a design choice.

Opinions may vary but I don't think the art direction or overall aesthetic direction is anything to write home about, so this thread is surprising.

patientx

Mostly, internally developed Nintendo games are always impressive from a technical standpoint, even on inferior hardware. Give the same concept to Ubisoft, EA or Activision and see the crap they come up with, it's like they're not even trying.

This. They take their work very seriously and try to come up with the best product regardless of the power ıf the hardware.

Chev

It is just applying deferred decals to things. It is not really technically impressive, it definitely makes sense that it is running at its frame rate.
If it's anything like the similar tech used in sunshine (and that's one thing to consider, they basically had the same thing running two gens ago, reproducing it now is technologically easy) it's not deferred decals, but it's nothing power-heavy either. Basically for each paintable surface there's a paint texture layer the paint guns "write to, and if necessary (just specific places in sunshine) they add a displaceable grid on top of that for the paint thickness. Only some small splatter is decals.

A pulled back camera is actually more demanding because it increases the field of view, so the system has more stuff to render.
It's a bit less simple than that. The camera drives both what's visible and the detail you need, but the detail is also driven by gameplay, so for example for the paint layers a pulled back camera will mean you need less texture resolution for a given area, while bringing the camera close will mean increasing the resolution but, because of gameplay, still having to cover the same global area, which means memory consumption will actually go up. There's a balance to strike.

Ulysses 31

Give the same concept to Ubisoft, EA or Activision and see the crap they come up with, it's like they're not even trying.

With some it seems more like they also calculated how little they can deliver and still get enough people to buy into it.

Top Bottom