• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I woke up this morning to my PC being updated to Windows 10 :(

Woorloog

Banned
When it's a computer connected to the internet, it should be kept up to date to minimise the risk of exploits in older versions of operating systems being taken advantage of, either to propagate malware or to create botnets.

It's the computer version of herd immunity. Basically you're the PC version of an anti-vaxxer.

The fuck?
I think that everyone should keep anti-virus etc. up to date by default. I groan inwardly whenever i see someone ask "is it ok to be without anti-virus program" etc. shit.

And this doesn't really work as an analogy here. Windows 7 extended support lasts few years still, and by that time, you're really going to need a new OS or computer anyway.

IF Windows 7 extended support/security updates stopped today, i'd recommend people to upgrade. Voluntarily. Or keep their PCs disconnected for their own sake, since they probably don't want to lose their data to hackers.
Automatic OS Change? Fuck off.

That's hilarious. A security update that gives MS access to your PC.

This too is a fucking big issue. I disabled everything i reasonably could, but most don't know how or even realize to google instructions for this.

Of course, even if Win 10 didn't have these issues, i'd oppose automatic "upgrade". Voluntary? Sure. It is a choice you should have.

Fat4all

Banned
And I'd love to know what software works perfectly in Windows 7 that doesn't in Windows 10.

Rampage Client and DynaStrip, two programs I use for work.

Well, one doesn't work pretty much and the other has issues with certain processes between windows and macs on W10.

leeh

It's one thing saying W10 is a great OS, it's another thing having it forced down your throat involuntary.

As much as I like the OS, this approach is disgusting. I don't get how it can be defended.

When it's a computer connected to the internet, it should be kept up to date to minimise the risk of exploits in older versions of operating systems being taken advantage of, either to propagate malware or to create botnets.

It's the computer version of herd immunity. Basically you're the PC version of an anti-vaxxer.

When people bought W7 and W8.1 they were promised security updates till 2020 and 2023 respectively.

Since it's still 2016 what are you talking about ?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Windows 10 is awful. It was doing crazy shit to my hard drives even after disabling everything. I had to clean install Win7 to get things back to normal. Enjoy!

At work ( and i say this as i'm a network manager ) , i can't upgrade all the computers because i'm forced to let the users works with programs that don't work well with Win10.
you could say " but upgrade your program!" but when the program are forced on me by the ministry of education in my country , what can i do ? The current solution works perfectly fine.. this isn't windows xp with all those vulnerabilities on https .. windows 7 Still does a great job if your environnement is well managed. ( it's my job to manage it ).

Why should i go toward win10 again ? ( and risk making half my programs unusable ? )

Windows 7 is already out of mainstream support. By January 14, 2020, security updates will no longer be published to Windows 7. Knowing how long the bureaucratic process can be, I'd be pushing the ones above you to start working on a plan to upgrade by the end of 2018.

Strimei

When people bought W7 and W8.1 they were promised security updates till 2020 and 2023 respectively.

Since it's still 2016 what are you talking about ?

But "herd immunity" though.

Its amazing how far people are going to defend this. Sticking with Windows 7 isn't anywhere near being an anti-vaxxer. What the hell.

Windows 10 will get security updates for even longer. What's your point? And you know what Windows 10 is? A fucking big, free security update.

And I'd love to know what software works perfectly in Windows 7 that doesn't in Windows 10.

A large translation company uses software that doesn't currently work on win10. maybe I should update and stop working cause it's soooo gooood /s

jem0208

FYI: Pressing X on the update prompt means that you agree. see /r/Windows10
I mean, that's slightly misleading. If you take half a second to read the prompt it says the update is scheduled to start on 'x date'. The X button has never been a 'cancel update' button, it only closes a window.

Had the prompt said "Do you want to update? yes/no" and clicking X had caused it to update then it would've been pretty bad.

That said making the update automatically schedule is pretty bad too.

Crayon

But "herd immunity" though.

Its amazing how far people are going to defend this. Sticking with Windows 7 isn't anywhere near being an anti-vaxxer. What the hell.

There's a viral echo chamber around the whole internet about it. Old tune. "You must be crazy not to use this".

Ogodei

They got me too. I'd been deterring their advances for months and one day a popup emerged saying "your update will start in 15:00," with the only option being "start now instead." So i hit the X and made it go away, but apparently that wasn't it. Continued my business, went to the bathroom, came back and it was 10% into the upgrade.

So far it seems much more efficient. Faster boot time, desktop is more responsive immediately after boot (before i'd have to give it a few minutes to warm up), and i don't hear the laptop fan nearly as often so that means it's reducing energy-use somewhere, lighter CPU load likely.

Only thing it's hurt so far is that the little thing on the side of my trackpad that used to be a slider doesn't work, so i've been having to learn the "two fingers to scroll" thing, and that my first virus scan after i upgraded took 2 hours (up from 37 minutes the week before).

Fat4all

Banned
A lot of companies use custom software as well.

I'm sure they'd rather wait until they get their software perfect on W10 before upgrading.

Whompa02

You do realise that some people depend on their PC's for work right? And that not all software is 100% compatible with W10?

The ignorance in this thread is something else...

Yep. Me. Daily. I'm on it 6-8 hours a day, using Windows 10 for my job. Come home to work on freelance after that too. Upgraded from 7 and it was a great update for both work and home PCs. Worked with all my programs. No idea what mysterious programs people claim don't work.

Did they take whatever dishes were in it at the time? Were some of your dishes incompatible with the new dishwasher? Because that's why I don't want to update.

Name some software that got totally ruined by the update and how much irreparable damage it caused to your work life and personal life.

A few critical VST plugins I use broke when I upgraded, so much that trying to save mixes which utilize them actually corrupted the files permanently.
Combine that with a significantly less consistent user experience and going off the wall with updates and I wouldn't blame a soul for trying to retain their older OS as much as possible.

It's not even hard to imagine an OS upgrade breaking an app. Even in the (comparatively) far more locked down iOS development environment, OS upgrades have been known to break apps.

Woorloog

Banned
Yep. Me. Daily. I'm on it 6-8 hours a day, using Windows 10. Upgraded from 7 and it was a great update. Worked with all my programs. No idea what mysterious programs people claim don't work.

Name some software that got totally ruined by the update and how much irreparable damage it caused to your work life and personal life.

Ah, yes "Didn't affect me so it shouldn't bother you" defense.

Are you a fucking idiot?

hlhbk

Windows 10 is awful. It was doing crazy shit to my hard drives even after disabling everything. I had to clean install Win7 to get things back to normal. Enjoy!

There must have been something else already wrong with your computer for that to happen. I have 4 different hard drives from 4 different companies and none of them have any issues with Windows 10.

It sucks the OP got auto updated, but I am sure there were warnings it was going to happen if you were paying attention.

If you're so worried about having your data stolen, fuck off to Linux and DuckDuckGo.

Not so much stolen, more like mined. Which is quite different, but still is an invasion on privacy. I know there are ways to disable these things on Windows 10, but you still have to jump through hoops to do it, which is quite annoying. This is a giant "security patch" where Microsoft still has a key to your back door and they use it to sneak in and monitor your actions for monetization purposes.

And I am using Mint right now, and it's great.

Windows 7 is already out of mainstream support. By January 14, 2020, security updates will no longer be published to Windows 7. Knowing how long the bureaucratic process can be, I'd be pushing the ones above you to start working on a plan to upgrade by the end of 2018.

2020 !! YOu realise what you're writting right ?
It's in 4 freaking years... do you know long this is in terms of networks? that's a freaking lot.
By that time there will be plenty of events that would have changed the landcape of my place of work.
And that still won't escuse :
- the shitty practice of auto updating when the user doesn't want to
- the fact that i probably will change the computers where i work during that time ( making that forced update useless and painfull )
I have no obligation to update if i don't want to as long as security updates & assistances are provided ( and neither user should )

Worked with all my programs. No idea what mysterious programs people claim don't work..

Typically, the programs that don't work were created during the XP days, and the vendor shut down. People who don't upgrade OSes also don't tend to upgrade software. The other possibility is custom software. Sometimes businesses are not so forward thinking and pay a consulting team to develop software for right now but don't pay for ongoing maintenance and don't hire someone to internally maintain it.

Once more: the company I work for (from home) has informed us that do not update to win10. Because the private software they use doesn't work properly at this moment. Eventually they get it working but not yet. Same thing happened when 8 came out. So the damage for me would be not being able to do my job. is that big enough for you?

RE4PRR

Well you have less then two months to upgrade for free and It's a better OS anyway.

If program compatibility is an issue blame the people who support/maintain that software because Win10 has been out for a long time and it was in public beta phase for ages as well. Developers only have themselves to blame.

gamz

Not so much stolen, more like mined. Which is quite different, but still is an invasion on privacy. I know there are ways to disable these things on Windows 10, but you still have to jump through hoops to do it, which is quite annoying. This is a giant "security patch" where Microsoft still has a key to your back door and they use it to sneak in and monitor your actions for monetization purposes.

And I am using Mint right now, and it's great.

They don't mine for Monetization like google does.

Typically, the programs that don't work were created during the XP days, and the vendor shut down. People who don't upgrade OSes also don't tend to upgrade software. The other possibility is custom software. Sometimes businesses are not so forward thinking and pay a consulting team to develop software for right now but don't pay for ongoing maintenance and don't hire someone to internally maintain it.

Pretty much. I'll add that the more widespread a custom software is used , the harder it is to get rid of it ( this is my current case and it was also the case in my previous work to where i took 3 years to fully change it for something better and up to date )

Zombine

Banned
Windows Defender puts in some work. I got a virus the other day (legit have no idea how. I only game on my PC) and it isolated the files and removed them before I could even open it to see what was wrong.

GHG

Gold Member
Windows 10 will get security updates for even longer. What's your point? And you know what Windows 10 is? A fucking big, free security update.

Yep. Me. Daily. I'm on it 6-8 hours a day, using Windows 10 for my job. Come home to work on freelance after that too. Upgraded from 7 and it was a great update for both work and home PCs. Worked with all my programs. No idea what mysterious programs people claim don't work.

Most versions of CAD and CAD related software don't work for a start.

Rellik

Windows 10 is great, the best OS I've ever used, but that doesn't mean it should be forced on people like this.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That's debatable. I wouldn't call a corporation collecting personal data (and you have to explicity edit your registry settings to completely disable data collection) would signify "a better OS".

For example, this is what Microsoft collects, based on their privacy statement:
There's definitely a reason this is free, and pushed hard on everyone. The majority opinion seems to be "But it's easy to disable that stuff." Think about the hordes of people who don't know about it though, or forget to disable everything they would find invasive. But then we hit the people who say "Everyone collects data, might as well get used to it." The slope is getting kind of slippery these days.

Nerrel

And this is despite me turning off auto update and hiding the Windows 10 prompt that keeps coming up.

Get used to it, because this is what Windows 10 is all about: forcing shit on the user that they don't want and never asked for. After my last clean install, I ended up with junk programs like twitter repeatedly popping up in my start menu. I'd uninstall them and they'd keep coming back. You have to go sift through you settings to disable the shop or else Windows will just constantly keep reinstalling the same shit over and over, without ever notifying you or asking permission.

God forbid you want to update a driver manually without Windows forcing an oudated one on before you can even install the new one you've downloaded. Even after changing the settings to disable this, Windows still does it. I once ended up with a conflict due to Windows installing a driver while I was simultaneously installing the new one, which led to my system being fucked until I uninstalled both and started over. The only option I've found is to disconnect from the internet altogether while changing drivers.

I don't know why everyone gushes on about Windows 10. It's not much different than Windows 8.1 to me other than the obnoxious app spam and anti-consumer spying BS.

Gren

Once more: the company I work for (from home) has informed us that do not update to win10. Because the private software they use doesn't work properly at this moment. Eventually they get it working but not yet. Same thing happened when 8 came out. So the damage for me would be not being able to do my job. is that big enough for you?

We have the exact same scenario at my workplace. Some software developed in-house goes nuts & constantly calls our servers when used on 10. Thus they're keeping some machines on 7 for when we use those applications 'til the programmer can figure it out.

These Windows threads are an almost masochistic pleasure to read. I'm banging my head against the table from some of the comments until someone invariably comes along to refute it and/or poke holes in it. Rinse & repeat.

Fractal

Banned
Good OS or not, if someone hasn't upgraded by now it's because they chose not to. MS should be rightly derided for this kind of shit.
I agree... upgraded from Win 7 to 10 a few months ago and while I do think 10 is a worthwhile upgrade, there's still nothing good about being forced into it. If my OS was changed automatically, I wouldn't be happy in the slightest, since I keep my PCs under a tight check.

Guess MS wants to move people away from Win 7 under all costs...

Swarna

Wow, that's really shitty.

It's not gonna be an issue for most average users, though.

If your business PC's updated and you use in-house software that depends on an old OS then your IT dept. (or lack thereof) has failed you. Consider this a lesson for making yourself reliant on private OS's.

Whompa02

Ah, yes "Didn't affect me so it shouldn't bother you" defense.

Are you a fucking idiot?

No. You asked. So how has it "crippled" you?

There's people naming how companies (not themselves) have had to have workarounds for it, but nothing yet has been irreparable.

Because nothing is completely ruined. Just people sad that Microsoft is forcing the update.

ksdixon

Vpcj0QO.jpg

Are people really this stupid!?

Start actually reading messages before blindly clicking OK or X.
It says RIGHT THERE 'click here to reschedule or cancel'.
Your eyes are even drawn-to it, by the giant time the upgrade is schedualled for.

Jesus...

"MS are so bad, they gave me Win10 when I didn't want it!!11!!"
"Yeah... start reading messages, guy."

gaugebozo

Well I haven't installed Windows 10 yet, but as I stated above, I run long scientific calculations that take usually a week or more. There's too much data generated, (grids in multidimensional spaces) so the programs I use only keep the answer. I've woken up to a update that had erased about a half week of work before. I turned automatic updates off after that, because I need that control. I also have had problems with updates breaking other programs that assumed that a certain bug was going to be there, so I need to be able to avoid mandatory updates.

It doesn't really matter though, because I could just want to not lose my high score in Frogger by restarting my computer. It's my computer, I'm the user, I get to decide what is installed and when.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft is definitely not handling the upgrade process well, but it's hard to blame them. The XP debacle demonstrated well enough that a fuck load of people are moronic luddites - the number of people with legitimate reasons to stay on an old and/or unsupported OS are a tiny minority of the number of people who actually want to, for whatever stupid reasons.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Simone needs to shop the picture of steam and a wallet on the ground saying it's sales time and change it to Windows 10 and windows 7

Top Bottom