• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So minecraft on Switch is gonna be huge right?

AEREC

It seems like a pretty big deal that minecraft is releasing on the Switch next week, yet I don't see much hype about it. Though I guess minecraft isn't really on gaming news sites anymore since it doesn't really need the help with sales.

Anyways just wondering if this is gonna be bigger than Zelda or MK8?

I may pick it up just for the novelty of having a decent portable version.

atbigelow

Wait, I thought Microsoft bought this franchise? I'm confused.

They did, but they're pretty cool with getting it on everything.

Also, I haven't bought Minecraft anywhere except for originally on PC. I might get it again on Switch; if there was cool Zelda packs, I'd absolutely jump.

Microsoft has made games for Nintendo platforms in the past. But minecraft was already a huge and universal franchise... why limit it after they bought it?

To be fair, those were Nintendo handhelds. Microsoft has never competed in the handheld space so that's why Rare's handheld team was still allowed to develop for Nintendo hardware for a little while longer.

I've refused to play Minecraft after going through the beta since it came out for reasons.

But I'm definitely going to buy it for the Switch!

It will be the first time in forever.

I'll be getting it digitally and it'll be the definitive version for me. Don't have a tablet and don't play games on my phone so mobile Minecraft is totally new to me.

But yes it will be pretty huge I think.

Caelus

My seven year old brother has been obsessed with Minecraft on PC for the past three or so years. He spends so many hours building, crafting, even watching tutorial videos. His school even encourages it with coding projects and activities.

He's been absorbed with Breath of the Wild for the last two months, though. But once Minecraft hits Switch... oh boy. A portable Minecraft on a cute Nintendo tablet that easily plugs into the HDTV? I envy the excitement he'll have.

Corpekata

Banned
It'll be huge by default but for the most part a large part of the market already thinks there's a good portable version. The mobile versions are incredibly popular.

So I'm not sure if it'll end up doing all that crazy as it doesn't have the "I'm playing Zelda on the plane" sort of freshness to it.

It still might end up being the best selling game on the platform.

Microsoft has made games for Nintendo platforms in the past. But minecraft was already a huge and universal franchise... why limit it after they bought it?

I wonder if this does well enough and switch continues selling so well if MS might put more games on the switch, obviously not their big games but could be some easy money for them

gbland

it's probably gonna be huge because it's minecraft. But idk if I can buy it for the fourth time though... (I have pc, xbox 360, and ps4 version)

Emu-Fred

Banned
But isn't it coming digitally first, then the physical edition later on?

I don't know how much impact the digital version will have...

Corpekata

Banned
But isn't it coming digitally first, then the physical edition later on?

I don't know how much impact the digital version will have...

You're talking about a game that has probably sold like 80 -90 percent of its copies digitally.

The audience that cares about physical retail versions as a must is a niche, especially among the younger audience who have grown up buying everything digital.

I currently pay for, and regularly play on, a Realm for PC edition. I still can't wait for the Switch Edition because I want to play it in bed. And I want to play it at work.

yophlow

Banned
Well, yes in the sense that it's a popular game. The Switch has sold like 3 million or so right? Minecraft has already sold over 120 million copies.

So it'll be popular in the context of potentially selling 2.5% of its total sales, but nothing we haven't already seen before.

BizzyBum

Is this the full Minecraft experience on PC or that story mode Minecraft and is it getting a physical release?

Top Bottom