• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So minecraft on Switch is gonna be huge right?

Cerium

If they were really able to bump docked resolution to 1080p that would justify a 10 chunk render distance; game was 720p on Wii U.

If they were really able to bump docked resolution to 1080p that would justify a 10 chunk render distance; game was 720p on Wii U.
I think this is a rare case where I'd rather have 720p30 than 1080p60, if it meant a significantly better draw distance in return.

So, I am pretty out of the loop on minecraft.

Does the game have actual objectives and progression like Terraria?

I know there are bosses, but is that it?

I'm more the type to ignore those goals on either game, but I think Minecraft has far less than Terraria. Certain monsters spawn in certain areas and you can build portals to other places with more special enemy types, but from seeing what my friend gets up to in his Terraria world it seems there are a lot more bosses and specific ways to reach/trigger them. Minecraft mostly just keeps track of progression like "You chopped your first piece of wood!"

Hmmmm, I see.

That's a bit disappointing. Seems like it's definitely more of a pure sandbox game, whereas something like Terraria layers in more RPG-like mechanics.

bounchfx

I want this but holy fuck is it hard for me to mentally justify paying $30 on a game ive owned for years and paid far less for. jlfbljfsgdfshsregf

ryushe

I really wanna give this a shot, but I am not the creative type (in games). Is there something in Minecraft for people like me?

There's a very very loose set of objectives that you can ignore completely or set out yourself to find. Nothing in the game ever pushes you one way or the other, and if you weren't told about them, you'd either stumble upon them by accident yourself or possibly even never find them. But there's the Overworld, and then a hellscape called The Nether that has a specific set of objectives you need to complete to get to, and then The End that also has its own set of (more complex) objectives you need to complete to get to. Once you complete The End you've essentially "beaten" the game, but they're also constantly updating and adding new things. The End, for example, used to be a very small area with a final boss, but they recently expanded it into an entire world with special items only available there.

I don't think so. That's story mode and that's coming out latter.

Story Mode is a completely different kind of game from Minecraft though.

Checking the Canadian side of Nintendo's website, and it says "Coming May 11, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time." That's pretty late, and also weird they specify that.
It seems like they're actually going for a simultaneous worldwide launch. Some regions had a date of May 11 and others May 12, but really that's just a matter of the international date line.

Does console minecraft include redstone?

How feature complete is it compared to og pc version?

It does feature Redstone. It works almost exactly like the pc version. Feature wise it's a older version of minecraft but pretty much anything you could do in vanilla Mc on PC you can do on consoles.

To be fair, those were Nintendo handhelds. Microsoft has never competed in the handheld space so that's why Rare's handheld team was still allowed to develop for Nintendo hardware for a little while longer.

Even more evidence that the Switch is a handheld.
/s. Even the Wii U had Minecraft.

Top Bottom