• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So minecraft on Switch is gonna be huge right?

What I think is notable is that it took 3 years to get Minecraft on the Wii U.

Nintendo got Microsoft to bring it to Switch in its 3rd month.
It did well on Wii U. Also it's popular in Japan, especially on Vita and Wii U. They probably see this as a good way to get in on the Japanese market

Thank you. I guess it's middle-of-the-road for the console versions, but what about in absolute terms? Does a map that size feel "super cramped"? Or could I comfortably put dozens of hours into a survival mode world that big? I'm worried about winding up at the edge super quickly, whereas the PC world is "near-infinite".
Honestly I thought the Wii U worlds were huge, if you're just playing in Survival and want to learn the map yourself it would take a long time to see it all. Personally​ I feel like the endless worlds on PC feel almost too big, you don't have the same familiarity with the landscape that way. That's just me though. I know some people do enormously complex worlds on PC with huge train networks and whatnot, which they probably couldn't do on consoles, but I like the feeling that I can get to know a world personally.

Mik2121

It was answered on this page:

See the post with the giant green, red and blue squares.

Yeah, I have seen that image. Doesn't help me much though since I've only played the PC version. I wanna see the camera flying from corner to corner, if that makes sense.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Minecraft sells well regardless of the platform. What's interesting though is if the Switch edition becomes the most wanted mobile version over PE on smartphones.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I dunno, maybe. It'll sell well but I dunno if it'll be "HUGE".

Most kids already have access to the game on multiple platforms, whereas something like Mario Kart 8 or Zelda isn't available anywhere else but Nintendo's hardware.

I'd probably pick it up myself but I have a copy of the Wii U version that's yet to be unsealed.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
What I think is notable is that it took 3 years to get Minecraft on the Wii U.

Nintendo got Microsoft to bring it to Switch in its 3rd month.

It's important to note that the first console release was only in 2012. The PS4 and Xbox One only got it in 2014. It's not like Microsoft was just trying to be a dick to Nintendo or something.

I dunno, maybe. It'll sell well but I dunno if it'll be "HUGE".

Most kids already have access to the game on multiple platforms, whereas something like Mario Kart 8 or Zelda isn't available anywhere else but Nintendo's hardware.

I'd probably pick it up myself but I have a copy of the Wii U version that's yet to be unsealed.

Mario Kart I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet Minecraft will outsell Zelda.

Kids want Minecraft, GTA, not Zelda / Mario. This "the game is already available on multiple platforms" never works against Minecraft, people said this a thousand times already.

This will sell gangbusters.

Cerium

The fact that it's digital only at first might muddy the waters when it comes to sales though. Does Microsoft release official figures for digital?

Personally I think it's only really gonna take off when the retail copies hit shelves.

jackal27

Banned
It'll be a slow burn. It's one of those games with long legs. More of a library thing than a release people are hyped for.

Xe4

Banned
If the question is "will Minecraft sell well on x"? The answer is fuck yes it will. Minecraft is a surefire sell on pretty much every console. People will buy it for the Switch even if they have it on the PC, Phone, Vita, and PS4 already, so they can play the best version on the go.

acm2000

most kids already be playing this on phones and tablets and will already have a console version at home.

It will sell well, but no reason to set the world on fire

Bazookaxp

most kids already be playing this on phones and tablets and will already have a console version at home.

It will sell well, but no reason to set the world on fire

kids are born every day. This thinking is why people thought the Microsoft purchase was a bad idea.

It will always be a hit, but I'd be deluded if I said it'll turn the Switch into an overnight sensation that everyone and their grandma will go out and buy a Switch to play it.

It's playable everywhere, including Vita, phones and tablets.

It will always be a hit, but I'd be deluded if I said it'll turn the Switch into an overnight sensation that everyone and their grandma will go out and buy a Switch to play it.

It's playable everywhere, including Vita, phones and tablets.

Zelda already did that for Switch.

And this version will be way better than any of those versions.

spekkeh

Banned
It will do great on every platform, but I don't think it will be really big on Switch. Given the difficulty of getting a Switch right now, most of the first year of the Switch will see an older demographic. Kids will not really be reached until Christmas or Christmas next year. By that time Minecraft is kind of a legacy title. Though on the other hand, it already is of course.

Spoit

qPr1Bwvl.jpg

For the sake of comparison, what is the ipad version's map size, compared to that?

Zelda already did that for Switch.

And this version will be way better than any of those versions.

Exactly. People who will buy a Switch already did it for Zelda. Wii U was dying, Switch was the new hot gadget and it had this brand new kick-ass game to go with it. People won't but Switches just for Minecraft because they've likely already played it. You can't say the same with BotW.

Kids wouldn't care about the graphics bump from Vita. They also don't put *that* much importance on controls because many of today's kids are growing up on tablets. They're used to it.

night814

May consider getting this if there's a good deal for it at some point. I played a long while ago on PC and just didn't get into it.

Cuburt

Here is a video breaking down map sizes for Minecraft in pretty practical terms (in how it actually applies to gameplay):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D21jK6lft0o

I believe the Wii U, Vita, 360, PS3 is classic size 864 X 864
There is also a small size with is 1024 X 1024 (size of 1 full in-game map)
Switch map size is equivalent to the medium size 3072 x 3072 (size of 9 full in-game maps)
Large is PS4/XB1 5120 x 5120 (size of 25 full in-game maps)

tsundoku

He said they thought of this idea during the N64 days.
and Notch stole the game from the guy who made Infiniminer. It's not exactly a complicated core idea. the world as giant voxel blocks. The weird trivially easy overrated survival game and the difficulty in acquiring basic materials is what made the game initally compelling and popular

the game's like biggest meme that immediarely gets new children on board the first time you try it is that to do anything you have to find and punch a tree to get wood to make absolutely anything

Top Bottom