• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So minecraft on Switch is gonna be huge right?

Robin64

Worth noting that going online with Minecraft always limits the amount of render chunks anyway. For example, if you connect to Minecraft Realms, you are limited to 10 chunks. Most private servers for the "classic" version are set to 12.

dl77

Why the hell would you want coding at 7 be happy you should be playing with clay

Computers run the world today and will only insinuate themselves further and further into both people's working and home lives as time goes on. In this day and age it's important for children to understand the fundamentals of computing at a young age.

OmegaFax

UK price is £19.99 according to the UK eShop, same as Wii U edition. Not bad.

It doesn't sound like any of the bonus texture and skin packs that the Wii U version had are included except for the mentioned Super Mario Mash-Up pack.

I'd be surprised if they included anything more than that since they quietly increased DLC prices last August.

Never played it honestly. Is it basically like virtual legos?
Ehhhhh. In that it's largely a creative endeavor. But it's all being done at "life size", there are many different types of material to work with rather than just different colors of plastic, there are plants and animals that grow with time, flowing water and lava, threats to yourself and your creations (depending on mode).

How much is the Mario theme pack going to be? If I pick up this version, I'll probably want that too. It looks too adorable to pass up.

eliochip

I'm really weird for wanting this but I would like a version of minecraft on a game cart.

Waiting for the Physical release on the switch

U2NUMB

Is this the game's music, or are they pumping in Mario tunes into the stream? Because Minecraft with this shit playing sounds infinitely more enjoyable, gawd.

All of the packs have had audio.. my 10 year old son plays with them and I think he is playing fallout or skyrim and its just the skins so I am guessing its the game audio with the mario skin.

All of the packs have had audio.. my 10 year old son plays with them and I think he is playing fallout or skyrim and its just the skins so I am guessing its the game audio with the mario skin.

Excellent. I never bought any of the DLC when I had the Xbox One version. I sold my Xbox One to buy my Switch (also because I wasn't using it), so it'll be nice to have a console version of the game again.

13ruce

Banned
Very smart of Microsoft and Nintendo to get this near launch this will be the best selling third party game on Switch probably.

Backlogger

I've purchased Minecraft so many times now:

PC
Xbox 360
Xbox One (upgrade)
PS3/Vita
PS4 (upgrade)
iOS
Android
Windows 10 (was free, but still)

I don't own a Switch (yet) or a Wii U but I'd have to buy it for those platforms as well.

Damaniel

Banned
I don't think it will do all that well, honestly. It's already out on everything else and it's not like Minecraft is as hot as it was a year or two ago (when something like this could have actually taken off).

Glix

My friends 8 year old son was playing on a tablet the other night. Things that surprised me:

1. The game runs like lightning even on an old ass tablet.

2. Kids are much more comfortable with virtual d pads than old fogies like me.

Poster above me, you are SO wrong

Hopefully Phil held it at ransom in exchange for the Goldeneye Remaster!

But yes, I imagine the attach rate will be pretty high on this one.

I thought 12 and 7 for docked and undocked mode were confirmed directly by Microsoft.
indeed, and screens taken in handheld mode would appear to show the draw distance is a lot less than older versions.
I think the "11 or 12" came from one of the streams, but I guess they didn't know what they were talking about. Someone on Reddit showed a set of comparison images with the docked and undocked images from Ars Technica and their own screen from the Wii U version on the same Mario map. Switch docked and Wii U are almost a complete match.

OmegaFax

For fun, I decided to see how the Switch version would stack up against the PS4 version in a like for like comparison using the a screenshot that Ars Technica posted (and was later retweeted by 4Jstudios Twitter account):

Ars Technica (Docked/Switch):

2017050912272200-773F9627E0AC611AA92DA55E307BD361.jpg

PS4:

gc0hbeeh.png

Edit: The PS4 version is a bit darker due to the texture pack I chose for it when I loaded up the map. The PS4 version, for obvious reasons, doesn't have the texture/resource pack included in the Wii U or Switch versions of the game (I.E. no Mario music, character skins, or texture blocks) ... I used the plastic texture pack because in some instances, it looks a bit more cartoony and some things matched while other things, like skin looking blocks, ended up being darker.

More or less meant to illustrate the difference in draw distance.

Also, Vita version:

RjSyPiVl.png

I've bought Minecraft once years ago on the pc but I never really bothered with it for some reason. I"m going to give it another try on the switch.. Just seems like the kind of game that's ideally played on a handheld to me.

For fun, I decided to see how the Switch version would stack up against the PS4 version in a like for like comparison using the a screenshot that Ars Technica posted (and was later retweeted by 4Jstudios Twitter account):

I like that top picture a lot more. Are the more vibrant colours due to a different time of day or?

OmegaFax

I've bought Minecraft once years ago on the pc but I never really bothered with it for some reason. I"m going to give it another try on the switch.. Just seems like the kind of game that's ideally played on a handheld to me.

I like that top picture a lot more. Are the more vibrant colours due to a different time of day or?

Forgot to add into my original post that since the PS4 version doesn't have the Mario resource pack, there's a difference in the textures. I had to use the plastic texture pack with the PS4 version which explains why it's darker.

Top Bottom