• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

Vizzeh

Banned
Why is Microsoft cmtaking down an unboxibg video? Lol. What are you trying to hide guys?

Lets not forget guys, this was an Xbox1 suckfest, where everyone was having fun at the updates coming in, even people with PS4's it was relatively positive PR for MS and what did they do, they screwed it up and much like alot of their other handling of situations, turned it SOUR

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ok. My appt canceled so I'm back! Heh.

Look at this way. If this was no big deal, or the end result would have him being unbanned in time for launch anyway.....

Then why does Major Nelson have to personally contact him to get more details and "make it right"?

If this wasn't a serious console ban then Microsoft or Nelson could simply state that anyone who's been "pseudo-banned" would be reversed in time for the launch.
The only reason it won't be permanent is because Nelson is taking action directly here.

Klocker

This logic would imply that newspapers, in which reporters report on anything and everything that they "don't own the rights to", are also illegal. Same with news shows on TV, and book reviews.

It's ridiculous how much control people let these big corporations have over things these days.

reporting a story is far different than displaying Not yet released intellectual property to the wild without permission.

once released that's a different story so long as it within the agreed upon tos which every user agrees to.

Godslay

Banned
"You're not wrong Walter. You're just an asshole." - The Big Lebowski

Yes, technically MS has the right to ban people from the service for any reason. No, doing so before an already shaky launch is not a good idea, especially when the user in question was generating positive interest.

Let's play the hypothetical game of the update patch that he downloaded is not a final release. Guy is humming along, pumping out good info, and everything looks great. Boom, system crashes, hangs up, or something to that effect.

MS has to combat this damage, to what is essentially an internal beta, not meant to be seen or used by the general public. That is potentially more damaging then knocking a guy off the network until the console and XBL is ready for the general public.

Likewise, MS (and by default Sony & Nintendo), have the right in my mind to ownership of the initial release information prior to launch. It allows them to build anticipation, and guide the narrative as they see fit. The are not going to let a leaked console derail that, and rightfully so in my mind.

Kusagari

All MS had to do was have some PR guy clarify that the ban was only until the actual release date when this was blowing up. They still have yet to actually send out a clear message on this.

If they weren't completely inept at PR they could have handled this easily.

Wait, Target just confirmed they shipped a small amount (150) early by mistake... Poor Major Nelson, he's gonna need a bigger firetruck.

tbm24

Look at this way. If this was no big deal, or the end result would have him being unbanned in time for launch anyway.....

Then why does Major Nelson have to personally contact him to get more details and "make it right"?

If this wasn't a serious console ban then Microsoft or Nelson could simply state that anyone who's been "pseudo-banned" would be reversed in time for the launch.
The only reason it won't be permanent is because Nelson is taking action directly here.
You ask why Major Nelson needs to make it public that he's personally trying to contact this individual, in a thread that was created yesterday and has this many pages and posts of nothing mostly Fuck MS posts.

All major nelson has to do is an AMA type session (not with IGN). The launch is so close, if he could answer some of our questions then we wouldn't have to be waiting on people to get their consoles early just to answer a few questions.

skc

Banned
Hilarious thread.

Good opportunity for Sony to one-up Microsoft again IF somebody gets early access to a PS4 too.

Though I do wonder what the reaction will be like if Sony acts in the same way as Microsoft.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You ask why Major Nelson needs to make it public that he's personally trying to contact this individual, in a thread that was created yesterday and has this many pages and posts of nothing mostly Fuck MS posts.

I said it does need to be public. Please re-read.

If MS had any sense they would have viral accounts posting positive views and snippets of info before launch from "someone who received their console early".

Instead what do they do? Ban the accounts of their most passionate consumers that pre-ordered their machines, who through no fault of their own had it delivered early.

It beggars belief how incompetent MS are at public relations, they've had it too easy for far too long.

MJLord

Depends what's on them I guess. Nintendo have taken issue with LPers over them getting ad revenue from any videos of Nintendo games.

Other stuff I don't know about, but solely showing an unboxing (even livestreaming it) clearly isn't copyright infringement. Youtube's policies are biased in favour of the claimant though.

I'm not sure about the legal issues of doing LPs and other videos like that. But I have to disagree with your first statement. Having people do the advertising for you for free(or in most cases buying your product first) is much better advertising than any billboard or tv ad. They don't even take money from the company anyway since YT is a form of revenue that comes from them and not from the company of the game you're playing.

Over the top reaction from MS if Perma Ban!

Thats part of the fun of pre-ordering games online (in this case consoles)

Get it early you get massive bragging rights

Shouldn't be the threat of a ban!

tbm24

I said it does need to be public. Please re-read.

You are implying that if this situation was no big deal then Major Nelson shouldn't be coming out and personally/publicly addressing it. I simply pointed out a reason why he decided to do so.

teiresias

Yeah, if this was going to be the way it worked anyway there's not reason for Nelson to even have to get involved.

Cryolemon

Having people do the advertising for you for free(or in most cases buying your product first) is much better advertising than any billboard or tv ad.

I agree, but IIRC they technically have the right to stop them doing it though. As you say, doing so isn't necessarily the best idea though.

Kusagari

You are implying that if this situation was no big deal then Major Nelson shouldn't be coming out and personally/publicly addressing it. I simply pointed out a reason why he decided to do so.

If it was no big deal, the issue would be resolved without Major Nelson needing to "talk" to him.

Pretty much.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I doubt any positive action would have been taken without it gaining traction amongst places like this and with media outlets. I think that really goes for a lot of large companies.

I just noticed the Multimedia Editor for the WSJ contacted the guy on twitter asking for his story? Things like that are what gets positive action taken.

JLeack

Banned
I am trying to get in touch with him…but I guess he is still sleeping from his all night Xbox One bender. I hopefully can chat with him today and get this sorted out ASAP.

How cool is this? Major Nelson reaching out on a Saturday morning to clear all this outrageous hysteria up. Oh, most of you don't care? Sounds like double standards, because if Shuhei Yoshida did the same thing you'd be freaking out about how cool it is.

Can we stop with the frenzy of unjustified Xbox hate and go back to just loving video games, please?

dallow_bg

nods at old men

No, I said Nelson or MS could have just put out a reassuring message to all users who happen to get the console early that their online services would resume at launch.

Then a simple, "don't worry" message to the guy would have sufficed rather than a "give me your details, I'm going to have this issue looked into".

Cryolemon

How cool is this? Major Nelson reaching out on a Saturday morning to clear all this outrageous hysteria up. Oh, most of you don't care? Sounds like double standards, because if Shuhei Yoshida did the same thing you'd be freaking out about how cool it is.

Can we stop with the frenzy of unjustified Xbox hate and go back to just loving video games, please?

Plenty of people in this thread have said it's cool.

MJLord

I agree, but IIRC they technically have the right to stop them doing it though. As you say, doing so isn't necessarily the best idea though.

I'm not sure why they do have that right, but I'm in no place to debate the issue :p I think in this case it was more the robotic handling that was given to him. To some extent the whole way through MS's PR since the reveal. I know It's rubbed me the wrong way more than once.

Alx

It may not have been the best idea to let him comment on an unfinished UI either... he was starting to publish details about boot times, issues with standby mode etc. If those are different than the final version, it wouldn't be all positive.
In the end even if that guy was giving a good picture of the console, that picture will be just as good in a few days, when everything is official.

rjinaz

I think what Major Nelson is doing has been well received in this thread so far. A lot of ackowledgement and appreciation. What am I missing?

jem0208

All MS had to do was have some PR guy clarify that the ban was only until the actual release date when this was blowing up. They still have yet to actually send out a clear message on this.

They have sent out a clear message. Have you seen Major Nelson's tweets?

Sydle

In the middle of the night, on a Friday?

It looks like everybody raged before MS PR even had a chance to collectively catch up and respond to the situation. I doubt they expected the console to release 2 weeks early.

And don't pretend like the same person who took down his YouTube video is the same person who banned the console.

No, I said Nelson or MS could have just put out a reassuring message to all users who happen to get the console early that their online services would resume at launch.

Then a simple, "don't worry" message to the guy would have sufficed rather than a "give me your details, I'm going to have this issue looked into".

I don't think Major Nelson can just make calls like that without talking to a few folks first.

Tripolygon

Banned
I understand that people have differing opinions and stuff but.

A message saying "service not available until ------ date"

is better than having your account or console banned because you accessed the service earlier than allowed. As a consumer, you are not obligated to honor an NDA retailers and game journalists are beholding to.

No it was not an automated system, an automated system does not ban someone's account then go to youtube and tag his video as copyrighted material. There are several videos of Xbox One on youtube being posted right at this moment as i type this.

The lot of you need to stfu about overreaction, cooperation can't fuck people over "temporarily" just because they can and are allowed to by law. An overreaction would be David Cage says "i dont like guns" and people crawl out of nowhere to scream how David Cage is stupid.

"Oh its their service so they can do what they want" wtf kind of logic is that?

He did not steal the console, he purchased it legally i think.

well that escalated quickly, kinda got heated a little.

tbm24

If it was no big deal, the issue would be resolved without Major Nelson needing to "talk" to him.

Would you care to speculate what this thread would look like had Major Nelson not woken up and sent out a tweet and then post on gaf what he going to do? If someone internally was handling the matter with the user in private then everyone following this whole thing would continue to be unaware and perpetuate their distaste for Microsoft and their policies.

Tell me about it. He got his own thread for replying "no" to a tweet asking if they'd ban someone for getting PS4 early. He's being treated like a god for a simple "no".

"NO"
ik0ViLnyNyeJ.gif

Even if they would do that, would they come right out and say it? Why say anything damaging against your company? I bet if anyone asked MS before this, the answer would have been "no".

Arcteryx

Yea man, it's totally cool he's doing something that SHOULDN'T have had to happen in the first place.

Sorry, but I'm not going to suck the teat of MS over something THEY themselves caused.

But please, keep on pretending they're doing him a favor.

Maxim726X

And how fucking lame is it that someone who received their XBone early got their console banned?

Yes, it's cool that someone is patrolling forums like this to right the wrongs- But it should never happen in the first place. Just another PR mistake in what has been a never ending stream of them.

tbm24

I'm not seeing how tweeting the guy "don't worry" is better than "give me your details, I'm going to have this issue looked into". One is specific and reassuring while the other one isn't.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Eh, but the point is that this is the sort of thing that shouldn't even be happening in the first place, and yet these sorts of gaffes happen regularly with Microsoft these days... not so much with Sony. I think the anti-MS sentiment is a bit much, but it's not like it's entirely unearned.

Tell me about it. He got his own thread for replying "no" to a tweet asking if they'd ban someone for getting PS4 early. He's being treated like a god for a simple "no".

"NO"
ik0ViLnyNyeJ.gif

Even if they would do that, would they come right out and say it? Why say anything damaging against your company? I bet if anyone asked MS before this, the answer would have been "no".

a gaming figure getting their own thread= Ascension to godhood?

Get a fricking grip, you sound like a whiny snot faced baby for real.

MS has to combat this damage, to what is essentially an internal beta, not meant to be seen or used by the general public. That is potentially more damaging then knocking a guy off the network until the console and XBL is ready for the general public.

You don't push beta firmware updates on your production network, if MS hypothetically did that it'd be their fault for not considering that stores could break street dates.

Banning users for causes which aren't their fault isn't a good strategy.

Vizzeh

Banned

The problem is he is FIXING a mess that shouldnt have occured to begin with, if the guy had to be banned he wasnt informed before hand.

It was just "your banned" we dont comment on why.

Everyone in this thread was LOVING the X1 footage, probably one of the biggest FREE PR positive spins for MS and they turn it sour

Streaming, especially on youtube, does not give anyone rights above the property owner, they can pull the rug out of anyone when ever they choose by simply filing a complaint.. especially if the streamer is making money off it..but its a mutually beneficial situation most of the time, so the big companies don't stress it since its free advertizing.
That's a new policy for footage of games and possibly OS, not videos of the hardware.

Tripolygon

Banned

Seriously?

the updated title of this thread is

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: Xbox One console-banned ]

dallow_bg

nods at old men
MS you took the most positive XB1 thread i've ever seen and turned it into all the others.

Seriously. This was such a nice MS thread when he was posting impressions.
It's been a while.

I'm not seeing how tweeting the guy "don't worry" is better than "give me your details, I'm going to have this issue looked into". One is specific and reassuring while the other one isn't.

I meant in combination with a more broader official statement that any user who gets a console early is fine and online service would resume on launch date as my post said.

no

Top Bottom