• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhh Call of Duty: Black Ops II has now 125k people online on Xbox One/360

Even with all the mocking, if even one million people on X1s are using BC, that says to me "no one uses BC". That's an irrelevant percentage. Like, how many people are willing to buy the console strictly for BC is a small % of those who will use it just because they can...so unless it was basically free to Microsoft I think it's wasted dollars. It's clearly not helping them catch up to Sony in any meaningful fashion.

You guys seem so proud of this number like it proves something. Like the PS4 is going to die any day now because they don't have BC.
You're embarrassing yourself

Unless 2004 is the year you were born

Hesemonni

Banned
I'd love to know what was the number before BC if PS3 still has ~70-80k players. You'd guess MS platform numbers were higher when it comes to shooters.

Ambient80

Even with all the mocking, if even one million people on X1s are using BC, that says to me "no one uses BC". That's an irrelevant percentage. Like, how many people are willing to buy the console strictly for BC is a small % of those who will use it just because they can...so unless it was basically free to Microsoft I think it's wasted dollars. It's clearly not helping them catch up to Sony in any meaningful fashion.

You guys seem so proud of this number like it proves something. Like the PS4 is going to die any day now because they don't have BC.

Heaven forbid a company try to provide more value for its customers.

What is this console warrior garbage?

Madness

It is the most played game on Xbox One right now when I checked. Ahead of everything. GTA V, Destiny, Overwatch, R6 Siege, Halo 5 etc.

Went from nothing to #1, so you definitely have over 70k on Xbox One because Battlefield 1 had 60k+ unique players on Xbox One last 24 hours.

Detective

Just get out and stop embarrassing yourself really.

To me the most impressive thing about this is that you can easily find a full room with the dlc maps, which is really rare for an old COD game.

You mean BO3? Sorry but IW is hardly pay to win. It's loot boxes aren't great (and no games will ever be) but at least IW gives players free weapons via challenges and recently did good by giving a lot of players Epic weapons through simple challenges. (Mine was get 125 kills with AR which took like an hour)

BO3 was bad because all of the RNG weapons were OP and you could only get through RNG.

This. It's really weird that IW gets the P2W accusations thrown at it even though it handles its new guns and loot way better than BO3's "just hope you get it at some point" system.

You know whats annoying about this beyond the fact that the PS4 doesn't allow BC. Is that I still have this game on PS3 except it's not playable because the lobbies are hacked and most of the time (at least the last time I tried, around Christmas) it was impossible to play because you would load into a map and you couldn't move from spawn.

That doesn't seem to be the case with the 360 version, obviously. Does it have something to do with the online paywall?

Luckily BO1 is still playable, as well as all the others, for the most part with a bit of joining and quitting.

My XBL gold subscription expired over a month ago, BO II will be my main motivation for renewing it (I've used a couple of the 2 day trial codes I've saved up in the meantime to play the multiplayer lol).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Yeah! Fuck Microsoft! Fuck them for giving people a free reason to stay in their ecosystem and not asking them to pay for games they've already bought!

Fuck them in the nostrils.

I'd love to know what was the number before BC if PS3 still has ~70-80k players. You'd guess MS platform numbers were higher when it comes to shooters.

I'd guess 90-100k on 360. After BC it's now reaching 140-150k. 360 definitely had the bigger install base, but we do have to keep in mind that PS3 online is free compared to 360, so more people might be willing to just pop the disc back in to PS3 if they feel the craving to play some COD without having to pay a subscription like on 360.

If the game had BC on PS4 somehow (I know it's technically not possible), I'm fairly certain with the PS4's far greater install base it would reach similar 140-150k numbers to the Xbox platforms. Regardless, when taking cross platform into account, there's consistently between 200,000 - 250,000 playing the game, which is crazy for a game over 5 years old.

Yu Furealdo

You know whats annoying about this beyond the fact that the PS4 doesn't allow BC. Is that I still have this game on PS3 except it's not playable because the lobbies are hacked and most of the time (at least the last time I tried, around Christmas) it was impossible to play because you would load into a map and you couldn't move from spawn.

That doesn't seem to be the case with the 360 version, obviously. Does it have something to do with the online paywall?

Luckily BO1 is still playable, as well as all the others, for the most part with a bit of joining and quitting.

I've been playing this last week on ps3 and have only run into a couple aimbots and only one guy shooting from above the map or w/e. Mostly it's been pretty good and I just back out if there's a problem.

Also no issue with not being able to move.

PixlNinja

Banned
"Nobody care about Backwards Compatibility"

Yet here I am, jealous as fuck that I can't play my favorite CoD game and favorite shooter of last gen on my PS4.

Fired it up on BC and it looks horrid. Aliasing is fugly.

I recently bought it on PC because it went down to around $10. Playing in true 4k makes the game a heck of a lot prettier. Too bad the PC population (as with all CODs) is 5% or less of what it is on the consoles.

That, and the fact that I can't really be as competitive as I usually am because of the total lack of aim assist when using a controller, makes it a little difficult to enjoy.

Single player is great though.

bozeman

Not surprising. My local retro shop gets about 5 or 6 calls a day from guys asking if he has this game. He can't keep it in stock. He sells it for $12 when he has it. Gamestop sells it for $24.99 if you have a Pro membership. They'll give you $8.80 cash if you trade it in.

I have one for sale on local Craigslist for $15. This post reminded me to list it on all the local Facebook sale groups. Hopefully I'll have it gone tonight.

sangreal

It's a problem on 360 too, but PS3 is far easier to hack in general. On 360 hacks are largely limited to what can be done with save game hacks (which can be a lot more than you'd expect). The only consoles that can run actual modified games are pre-2009 unpatched consoles with a hardware hack (JTAG). The rest of the 360 exploits only let you run pirated but unmodified games

Kalentan

AW's mechanics were worse than IW.
Literally the only good thing about IW is that it ripped BO3's instead of AW(missionteams were a neat idea though).

IW also did loot boxes better than AW and IW and allowed you to unlock new guns via challenges.

Also IMHO, IW has a better art direction than both AW and BO3.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Black Ops 1 multiplayer aged really badly. Treyarch never addressed some of the weapon balancing issues and it had its own fundamental issues as well.

Ey I don't really agree. It's my favourite COD game after COD4 and I fuckin adore its maps, still play it to this day. Love its weapons too. BLOPS2 is good too but I've never liked it as much as 1. Never put much time into 3, I felt they got worse as they went along.

Radec

Its the best CoD so far. Not surprisingly people want to play it again now that they can with current gen console.

RedStep

Take off your DualShock pendant on its gold chain
Unbuckle your DualShock belt buckle and slide down those PSX Anniversary leggings
Pop off the PS4Eva shirt
Relax

It turns out, not every move is Console Warz. You sell a product (even if it's not #1 in the market) by producing a product that people want. You cultivate a userbase by producing products that people want. Hardware is one part of that, features are another. Little things and big things, they add up. This is a big thing, but it's still part of a bigger picture, which is doing right by your customers. It's free, it's awesome, and it adds value.

Also, 'fuck out of here with that garbage.

RedRum

Banned

April's warrior of the month right here.

It's a problem on 360 too, but PS3 is far easier to hack in general. On 360 hacks are largely limited to what can be done with save game hacks (which can be a lot more than you'd expect). The only consoles that can run actual modified games are pre-2009 unpatched consoles with a hardware hack (JTAG). The rest of the 360 exploits only let you run pirated but unmodified games
Any 360 can be hacked with hardware with an RGH. Anybody modding COD on 360 from MW3 and up are using hardware modded consoles. You can only savegame hack WaW online. COD4 can be hacked with infections. MW2 can be modded online by infecting a retail console with a hacked console too. BO1 has Theater exploits that allow cheating easily and MW3 has a class exploit that makes you invisible but it requires someone on a modded console to recover the account and add it to your account manually.

RedRum

Banned
I prefer playing Black Ops 2 over Black Ops 1 and 3, it is good to see how populair the game is even today.

BO2 is great. Still doesn't hold up well against the netcode of MW2. I've been a fan of Infinity Ward games my entire time playing CoD, but ever since MW3 they have been shit. MW2 and BO2 will always reign supreme in my book.

Zasa

k58pUVk.gif

Also IMHO, IW has a better art direction than both AW and BO3.
Im only talking multiplayer, IW's campaign is my favorite after COD4 with BO2 3rd.
I hated IW's multiplayer design direction yet loved the campaign's

vs

this mess for example.

BO3 is the reverse the MP art direction was farrrrrrrrrrrrr better with the characters and maps.
Goofy stuff kinda sucked at first but BO3 at least went all in on it and in the end it felt truly unique,
it even had a VR meta story going on....
And yet the campaign is the worst thing in the series.

Maybe...just maybe...we play games because we like games, and don't care if a company is "winning".

Why this great feature (for users) annoys you, I'll never understand.

Im only talking multiplayer, IW's campaign is my favorite after COD4 with BO2 3rd.

vs

this mess for example.

BO3 is the reverse the MP art direction was farrrrrrrrrrrrr better especially the characters and maps.

Goofy stuff kinda sucked at first but BO3 at least went all in on it.

I completely hate all the MP character designs in IW...They're fucking horrible.

Recall

Maybe...just maybe...we play games because we like games, and don't care if a company is "winning".

Why this great feature (for users) annoys you, I'll never understand.

Stop having fun, you aren't taking this serious topic of business's wanting your money and your undying loyalty seriously.

It's serious. Options and choices are not allowed unless you are told to choose, and only then there is only one right answer.

Zasa

BO3 is the reverse the MP art direction was farrrrrrrrrrrrr better with the characters and maps.

Goofy stuff kinda sucked at first but BO3 at least went all in on it and in the end it felt truly unique,
it even had a VR meta story going on....
And yet the campaign is the worst thing in the series.
Couldn't agree more, BO3 just oozes style all over. Even little things like the main menu design, the loading screen with the 'face-off' of characters, the design of the create-a-class system, & even the pictures for the perks.

Contrast that to IW's extremely dull, & despressing light grey robotic theme all over the place. Uninspiring & just boring maps in general. Just seems like Treyarch had more 'fun' making their game & got creative with it.

Top Bottom