• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who's buying Mad Max next week?

I had this pre ordered up until this morning. The lack of reviews is off putting and with it being under £34 already makes me think I can hang on for it to hit £20 and pick it up then, which shouldn't be too long with the amount of new releases coming

Skills starting to unlock now, there's a lot to upgrade - combat-wise there's 15 combat skills to get (chain finisher & weapon parry are the only two unlocked at the moment), plus there's a few jacket upgrades, wrist-armour upgrades, ammo capacity upgrades, knuckleduster upgrades, a few extra tools to acquire and different styles for Max's hair & beard. On the car side of things you can upgrade the ramming grill, armour, engine (v6 and later v8), exhaust, tires, suspension, boost, rims, boarder spikes, sniper rifle, harpoon, thunderpoon, side burners, upgrade the repair speed, add hood ornaments (that bestow bonuses), switch the body between one of five choices, plus decals and paint.

In addition to the combat stuff I mentioned earlier, you can pick up melee weapons that enemies drop, but they break after continued use. There's also 'Fury Mode', which kicks in after chaining together combos without being hit and lets Max use more powerful attacks.

Here's a few screens. Witness!!

RvziGHs.jpg

bm7fFi0.jpg

Cux2eGw.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

A bigger waste of time is posting some diatribe about some game you have no interest in. Is it really that hard for people here to just say "hey, I'm not really interested in this game, no need to post about it, I have nothing of substance to contribute"?

Bedlam

You spent most of this post complaining about open world game releases and calling it boring, uninspired, etc, in regards to Mad Max. But in your original post you said you're going to spend your money on more interesting and better open world games like MGSV which seems that its biggest chief complaint for most gamers so far is the fact that it's open world is mostly just empty and boring while its towns/outposts are well designed. It reeks of bias and just an excuse to go in and shit on others excitement because your mad it exists. No one is forcing anyone to buy any single game and your more than entitled to your opinion, but maybe you should form a consistent opinion on what you like before you start throwing out completely unfounded complaints, it makes you look a bit crazy. But it's all good man. Enjoy MGSV, I will. And I'll enjoy this too it seems.

Edit: also, what are these boring, generic, open world games that you dislike?

In my mind the most boring ones I can think of are a few Ass Creed games or a few other Ubi developed titles. But that says more about Ubisoft as a developer and their design decisions for OWG than it does for OWG's in general. It's not like we are all swimming in open world games. For every OWG there dozens and dozens of regular, linear, level based releases. It's not even on a comparable scale.

I see what Agent_4Seven is saying and I even voiced similar concerns and thoughts a couple of days ago in another Mad Max thread:

Love the style and the car gameplay but looking at that map with its dozens of same-y sidestuff icons ... man, I just can't do it anymore. I just can't take the AC approach to game-design anymore. It's just too formulaic, too bloated and most importantly it all feels meaningless.

"Better", sure I'm down with that. But "more" and "bigger" are reasons for concern these days. How can you possibly fill these worlds with interesting and engaging stuff? In the end it'll just be an even bigger map littered with the same "take down the outposts" and "find the resources" activities.

I've decided that I don't want to spend my time playing videogames with those type of games anymore. They've increasingly felt like a waste of time and at times they even felt like work (Hi, AC games!).

Definitely. It's not easy though when many of your favorite gaming series go open-world suddenly. I'm currently burned out from the Witcher 3's open world and I have yet to finish the game. I probably don't even have it in me to play MGS5 right now despite being a fan of that series. Then there's Mad Max, which I thematically love; also Fallout 4 at the end of the year. At best I'll be able to play one of these games, maybe none. The task is just too daunting and too time-consuming.

In the end it comes down to whether the game gives me back an experience interesting and fulfilling enough for the time it consumes or whether it's just a huge time-sink that I just want to be done with halfway through. Right now it seems that MGS5 might be the game that gives back the most in exchange for my time.

Looking at the map of Mad Max, looking at the past Just Cause games and also considering the statements from the developers who were featured in some of the recent gameplay videos ("this game is a completionist's dream" - refering to the amount of stuff to do), I think it's safe to assume that this is clearly the Ubisoft/AC-school of map- and objective-design.

I am one of those completionists the developer was talking about but I consider games of this type a nightmare rather than a dream. Two days ago I finished Witcher 3 and I completed all of the '?'s on all maps because I had the urge to do everything the game offers before I'm done with it. I can tell you that was mostly a pretty shitty experience, especially in the Skellige area where most of the dozens of '?'s are the same shitty kind ("smuggler's cache" - 2 or 3 treasure chests swimming in water surrounded by annoying enemies). Luckily, Witcher 3 also had some great quest-lines to make up for the tediousness of the filler stuff.

Mad Max, I strongly suspect (again, looking at the past efforts of the studio), is one of these games that basically consist of this kind of filler stuff: 200-300 icons spread across a large map - and the overwhelming majority of them being completely uninteresting and of the collectathon- and "destroy-the-outpost!"-variety. These games have more in common with work for me than with having fun. They are an exercise in attrition.

In comparison, I loved Red Dead Redemption; especially its world. Instead of 200-300 same-y locations, there are about 40-50 meticulously crafted places. Even the side stuff felt more organic and interesting. For the treasure hunts, for example, I actually had to identify geography with the help of drawn pictures and maps (absolutely loved it!). Side events were mostly people who you met on the road and in the wild instead of dots on the map to be crossed off a to-do list. Hunting animals and searching for plants was satisfying because I only knew the general area where they can be found but had to look for them myself there. It all felt way more organic and fun than crossing off hundreds of icons on a map.

If MGS5 is anything like that, then that's definitely a plus in my book. It seems that besides the strong story-aspect in MGS5, its world is rather a playground for traversal and trying out different strategies for approaching mission objectives rather than being an Ubisoft-type collection of collectathon-icons.

Right now, after completing the time-sink that is Witcher 3, I'm not in the mood for any kind of open-world game. I'm going to play more Splatoon and buy Mario Maker. But if I tackle another open-world game this year, I'm pretty sure it's going to be MGS5. I just can't take Ubisoft-open-worlds anymore.

Besides, Mad Max seems to be a little bit of a technical mess. I've never seen pop-in this bad. Quoting myself again:

Here's a random driving sequence from a recent gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSeudN-hpgk&t=47m10s

That pop-in is terrible and way more irritating than a lower resolution could ever be.

Bedlam

A bigger waste of time is posting some diatribe about some game you have no interest in. Is it really that hard for people here to just say "hey, I'm not really interested in this game, no need to post about it,...
I think there is merit in discussing the pro's and con's of certain game-design philosophies. Is he not allowed to state his opinion just because you don't like it?

... I have nothing of substance to contribute"?
I think he contributed much more of substance to this thread than you did.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think there is merit in discussing the pro's and con's of certain game-design philosophies. Is he not allowed to state his opinion just because you don't like it?

I think he contributed much more of substance to this thread than you did.

Because he wants to bitch about what he thinks is a waste of time in open world design in a game he hasn't played and has no interest in playing? Thats real constructive. The thread is about who is getting Mad Max next week or not. If he wanted to discuss the merits and detriments of open wortd game design, and use what he sees in Mad Max as an example, then he can create a new thread and foster such discussion.
For the purpose of this thread, his reply comes off as derailing pointless bullshit. Not to mention the complete arrogant and condescending tone in which he wrote it. A simple "doesn't look interesting" would have sufficed. Not replying since he's not intent on buying the game would have been best. But thats just me. I skip the threads on things I have little to no interest in.

ironcreed

Banned
Skills starting to unlock now, there's a lot to upgrade - combat-wise there's 15 combat skills to get (chain finisher & weapon parry are the only two unlocked at the moment), plus there's a few jacket upgrades, wrist-armour upgrades, ammo capacity upgrades, knuckleduster upgrades, a few extra tools to acquire and different styles for Max's hair & beard. On the car side of things you can upgrade the ramming grill, armour, engine (v6 and later v8), exhaust, tires, suspension, boost, rims, boarder spikes, sniper rifle, harpoon, thunderpoon, side burners, upgrade the repair speed, add hood ornaments (that bestow bonuses), switch the body between one of five choices, plus decals and paint.

In addition to the combat stuff I mentioned earlier, you can pick up melee weapons that enemies drop, but they break after continued use. There's also 'Fury Mode', which kicks in after chaining together combos without being hit and lets Max use more powerful attacks.

Here's a few screens. Witness!!

Nice. Thanks for the impressions.

Couple of GIFs;

noqSxh9.gif

8xYJ1tk.gif

So far I'm finding the driving to be pretty fun, the car feels good but combat with the car can be a pain, but I suspect that'll be alleviated once I've unlocked more of the upgrades. Enjoying it a lot, but if you're dead against that Ubisoft-style game progression I don't think you'll have a good time. You get to an area, find a look-out point which adds icons to your map for side-missions, collectables, strongholds, etc and complete them as you see fit in between the main story.

Shadow of the Colossus was empty. Nobody complained. If it fits the style or atmosphere of the game then in fine with it. I hate games that are overcrowded with NPCs.

I think Max looks awesome and will be getting it, but don't compare to SOTC man.
That game was a full decade a go, open world games should have (and have) come a long way since then.

SpaceHorror

I thought I was over Ubisoft style shit after I couldn't get into Shadows of Mordor last year, but man, I love the Mad Max property too much to pass this up. I've been waiting on a decent or better Mad Max game for years.

Definity

It's been 4 hours, what's your take?

I'm tired! I played for way too long last night. I certainly enjoyed what I played last night and I'm itching to get back and keep playing. I will just summarize a few things below with what I liked first.

• Car combat is ace. So easy to pull off crazy moves and the harpoon is crazy fun!
  • Very beautiful game during both day and night cycle
  • Ground combat is very much like the batman games but much more brutal!
  • I love chaining together melee combat with a gut shot from the shotgun, so satisfying!
  • I love all the different upgrades and skills you can buy for both max and his cars
  • The random storms that come out of nowhere
  • Characters, cut scenes and dialogue are pretty good
  • The size of the world feels great
  • Tons of scavenging locations for project parts to upgrade things back at a stronghold
---
  • The length of storms can be a bit ridiculous!
  • Some of the side activities will probably become a bit repetitive for some people
  • There is some pop-in that shows up from time to time
  • If you don't like checklist type activities in open worlds you're probably going to end up bored
  • Not seen enough of the story to see where it's going
  • Upgrade your car and do story missions first! Makes car combat much more enjoyable.

I love open world games and spend a lot of time just stopping at each little scavenging location that pops up to explore and collect things. If you like collecting things in games then this game has definitely got you covered there and it tracks each individual location with what you're missing. I was a bit surprised at how much effort they put in on the bios of each location, weapon, character, etc. in the pause menu. One final note on combat, I like the ground combat much more than what's in batman because I feel more connected to each and every swing...throw in fury mode and it feels awesome.

I'm really curious to see where this ends up with reviews. I'm guessing mid 80's?

SentryDown

I know it's a desert and stuff, but this open world seems soooo empty. I don't wanna drive 15 minutes between each location

dex3108

I'm really curious to see where this ends up with reviews. I'm guessing mid 80's?

My guess 7-8/10 max with some reviews below 7. I don't see hook that will push scores up. Don't get me wrong i am sure that game is fun and that people including me will have fun, just i don't see scores above 8.

Does anyone know if the PS4 exclusive stuff comes with every PS4 copy or if you had to preorder from some specific place to get it? It doesnt say anything on Amazon.com about it.

Simo

Does anyone know if the PS4 exclusive stuff comes with every PS4 copy or if you had to preorder from some specific place to get it? It doesnt say anything on Amazon.com about it.

The Ripper? Pretty sure it's with every day 1 copy regardless of retailer.

Ramenman

It's nowhere near as in depth, as there's pretty much only one combo - square x5. But in addition you have counters (triangle > square) and heavy strikes (hold square), plus it seems quite contextual. If you catch an enemy in the combo and you're against a wall, for instance, Max will automatically pin the enemy against the wall. There's also weapons, mainly the shotgun which you can quick fire with circle or precision aim by holding L1, but also shivs which can be used to finish off stunned opponents with x.

From the streams apparently you can also pick up any weapons present in the environment or taken from your foes (when they're knocked out, or by doing a "melee reversal" (?), just saw a prompt about that last one, not sure how it's done)

MacBosse

I got this and MGSV coming in. Will probably go with Max first, then take a break from open world a few days. That shit can get repetetive. Hehe.

Got GoW:UE today too. Damn. The autumn of gaming is approaching!

M.W.

I'm tired! I played for way too long last night. I certainly enjoyed what I played last night and I'm itching to get back and keep playing. I will just summarize a few things below with what I liked first.

• Car combat is ace. So easy to pull off crazy moves and the harpoon is crazy fun!
  • I love chaining together melee combat with a gut shot from the shotgun, so satisfying!
  • I love all the different upgrades and skills you can buy for both max and his cars
  • Tons of scavenging locations for project parts to upgrade things back at a stronghold
---
  • Some of the side activities will probably become a bit repetitive for some people
  • If you don't like checklist type activities in open worlds you're probably going to end up bored
  • Upgrade your car and do story missions first! Makes car combat much more enjoyable.

I love open world games and spend a lot of time just stopping at each little scavenging location that pops up to explore and collect things. If you like collecting things in games then this game has definitely got you covered there and it tracks each individual location with what you're missing. I was a bit surprised at how much effort they put in on the bios of each location, weapon, character, etc. in the pause menu. One final note on combat, I like the ground combat much more than what's in batman because I feel more connected to each and every swing...throw in fury mode and it feels awesome.

Thanks! Sounds right up my alley. I'm jealous of all of you.

Simo

Man, today would be the perfect time for GameStop to start selling it early like some releases in the past....

EDIT: WHAT?! Capture stills AND video?!

Definity

Man, today would be the perfect time for GameStop to start selling it early like some releases in the past....

EDIT: WHAT?! Capture stills AND video?!

Yeah, you can even hook up a second controller and have another person be your cameraman, lol.

TheMan

The shallow combo system is disappointing. Bashing square ad nauseum sounds like it will get old quick.

Simo

Yeah, you can even hook up a second controller and have another person be your cameraman, lol.

That's fucking cool! Have you tried that yet? Still seems like having someone in control of the camera could mess you up while playing, kinda like trying to use GTA's cinematic angle while still trying to steer straight. lol

Ramenman

---

Sounds like everything I'll love in an open-world game.

Crazy I know right, some people like open-world gameplay wooo. Reading GAF sometimes you'd forget it.

Top Bottom