• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who's buying Mad Max next week?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The previews I watched made this look sort of like Shadow of Mordor for the Mad Max IP, only with vehicular combat as the hook instead of the Nemesis System.

Accurate, or no?

Hard to say really, but I think the Mad Max IP suits an open world style game better than LOTR. I don't think they chose OW because it could be an easy reskinned cash grab as some have cynically asserted.

Actually, didn't Bethesda have this IP for a while?

stufte

The previews I watched made this look sort of like Shadow of Mordor for the Mad Max IP, only with vehicular combat as the hook instead of the Nemesis System.

Accurate, or no?

That's the feeling I get from watching the previews as well.

Anyone hear if this will support SLI or not?

That's the feeling I get from watching the previews as well.

Anyone hear if this will support SLI or not?

That's more on your GPU maker than it is Avalanche isn't it? Most releases don't have SLI support day one unless a driver releases before hand that specifically mentions it. It's par the course for SLI though so it should not be a surprise.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For those who want to see actual PS4 gameplay, go the link below and scroll down as I posted three 15 minute gameplay videos but be advised that they do contain spoilers and do show you how to complete objectives so if you don't want to be spoiled in any way, do not watch them -

https://www.youtube.com/user/guerillaboy/videos

EDIT: Didn't realize that you have to sign up for OS in order to see the videos so I have posted the link to the videos themselves from the user guerillaboy. It's the three 15 minute videos.

I have watched all three and this weekend can't go fast enough for me. :)

stufte

That's more on your GPU maker than it is Avalanche isn't it? Most releases don't have SLI support day one unless a driver releases before hand that specifically mentions it. It's par the course for SLI though so it should not be a surprise.

Yah, just wondered if there had been anything said either way about it. I guess I'll wait on playing it until I finish MGSV.

Yah, just wondered if there had been anything said either way about it. I guess I'll wait on playing it until I finish MGSV.

What is your setup?

So review embargo when?

What are you talking about dude? You could just wreck everything and everyone.

Bad quote btw. But aside from the varying levels of destruction, it's just lifeless. I'm not saying it wasn't fun, but it could get boring after you've seen the same explosions over and over. I had a blast flying around with the superman with dual rocket launchers causing hell, but just outside of that, the driving was dog-shit awful, the npc's stupid as shit and the environments/towns were very samey. JC3 seems to evolve that formula quite a bit and has me very excited.

For those who want to see actual PS4 gameplay, go the link below and scroll down as I posted three 15 minute gameplay videos but be advised that they do contain spoilers and do show you how to complete objectives so if you don't want to be spoiled in any way, do not watch them -

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/non-sports-gaming/840585-mad-max-2.html

Link is to a page that requires you sign up to that forum.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Honestly, I feel bad for Avalanche here.

WB definitely deserve the distrust over PC releases, but whereas Batman Arkham Knight was developed by IronGalaxy, who did an awful job, Mad Max was done in house at Avalanche.

Likely it's perfectly fine. If it's a solid port, I hope good word will get out once people start playing it.

Shadow of Mordor was great on PC.

Shadow of Mordor was great on PC.

Yeah, but they also published the shit-tastic Arkham Knight/Mortal Kombat ports too, so it's really hard to say for sure. Hell my experience with the previous Arkham games on PC were all pretty good-to-great, even on release which left me feeling pretty confident that Arkham Knight would be great too. So it's hard to use previous releases as a measuring stick.

Bedlam

What are you talking about dude? You could just wreck everything and everyone.
If that gets old, than that's a problem. And that's been the case for me in open world games like Just Cause or Far Cry (2/3).

I wish this time they would've actually pursued some actual focussed game design concept instead of running with the old checklist-open-world formula and throwing in some Batman-combat for good measure.

ekim

Yeah, but they also published the shit-tastic Arkham Knight/Mortal Kombat ports too, so it's really hard to say for sure. Hell my experience with the previous Arkham games on PC were all pretty good-to-great, even on release which left me feeling pretty confident that Arkham Knight would be great too. So it's hard to use previous releases as a measuring stick.

Avalanche is handling the port itself

Bad quote btw. But aside from the varying levels of destruction, it's just lifeless. I'm not saying it wasn't fun, but it could get boring after you've seen the same explosions over and over. I had a blast flying around with the superman with dual rocket launchers causing hell, but just outside of that, the driving was dog-shit awful, the npc's stupid as shit and the environments/towns were very samey. JC3 seems to evolve that formula quite a bit and has me very excited.

Define lifeless to me.

To me just cause is the epitome of short burst high fun game. Just to relieve stress and wreck shit up.

Things can improve like you said the driving.

Avalanche is handling the port itself

Right, and I have faith it'll be fine, I really do. BUT, we all thought Remedy was handling the port too so...

Really??? No one's ever told me that before. I'll replace the link. Thanks for letting me know.

No problemo, I mentioned it because I wanted to see ya footage.

Define lifeless to me.

Your reading way too much into it. But, the NPC's literally just drive circles around in towns and don't actually do shit, they're just there. And a giant-ass open-world and the only animals are scorpions and fish and occasionally some birds(if memory serves me right)? It doesn't make sense in the context of the jungle environments so prevalent throughout the game. Pretty lifeless. It LOOKED fantastic though, especially on the PC and it was FUN to play.

I enjoyed it enough to buy it twice(once on 360 and once on PC). Again, don't read too much into it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Too many negative and bashing comments towards Mad Max. Personally, I feel that MGSV is overrated, overhyped and mostly an empty open world game and no longer feels like MGS and MGS3 did but I still don't go into the forum bashing the game especially since I haven't played it yet but will, after Mad Max. :)

Your reading way too much into it. But, the NPC's literally just drive circles around in towns and don't actually do shit, they're just there. And a giant-ass open-world and the only animals are scorpions and fish and occasionally some birds(if memory serves me right).
I enjoyed it enough to buy it twice(once on 360 and once on PC). Again, don't read too much into it.

Ok I totally agree with you about the lack of wildlife being such a tropical paradise panau, it felt un natural. Some hunting in JC3 could be a nice change of pace.

But the npc's are meant to be fillers just like the random npc's in GTA that don't do shit either. Your supposesd to mess them up, not stalk them and see what their daily life is.

Ok I totally agree with you about the lack of wildlife being such a tropical paradise panau, it felt un natural.

But the npc's are meant to be fillers just like the random npc's in GTA that don't do shit either. Your supposesd to mess them up, not stalk them and see what their daily life is.

I don't buy that for one bit. They are there to add flavor and believability to the environment, if you make excuses for them then yeah, you can forgive their lack of A.I. and just use them as fodder.

The difference is those NPC's in GTA look like they are living in the world. And you can still mess them up to your hearts content like in JC2. The ones in JC2 feel like they are just running sub-routine #1 until you no longer see them.

But in MM's case, they seem to rectify that.

ekim

Sorry for the choppy gif but I'm on my iPad. That moment was so awesome
q7yx9.gif

hasidan

Neo Member
Not getting it day 1. Will wait for the reviews and maybe pick it up later. But next week is all about MGS - Mad Max chose a bad release day imo.

I don't buy that for one bit. They are there to add flavor and believability to the environment, if you make excuses for them then yeah, you can forgive their lack of A.I. and just use them as fodder.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Well what can I say? In a game like just cause I'm far to focused on destroying the environment to notice the flavor and believability random npc's add to it. Maybe I'm the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/user/guerillaboy/videos

EDIT: Didn't realize that you have to sign up for OS in order to see the videos so I have posted the link to the videos themselves from the user guerillaboy. It's the three 15 minute videos.

I have watched all three and this weekend can't go fast enough for me. :)

I just don't get the complaints about the dull-look. There is so much shit happening at any given time from either the storms, to the plumes of smoke super far off into the distance, to the random war-parties roaming the environments, to the gas fields off in the distance. The color and tone of the game are really well done and sky boxes looks awesome and remind me of RDR. Great videos, thanks for linking them. Looks great on the PS4 and I can't wait to see if running at 60fps.

Geforce GTX 690

Ahh man. Yeah, hopefully it's sooner than later. How much power does that card draw? I had a 680 for the better part of 2 years, isn't the 690 essentially two of those? I'd bet you'd get good-to-great performance on this game with just one side of it working until the inevitable driver's release.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Well what can I say? In a game like just cause I'm far to focused on destroying the environment to notice the flavor and believability random npc's add to it. Maybe I'm the problem.

No worries brother, and I'd wager that most players play similarly to how you do as well as I like to take my time w/ open world games and soak in the environments and look for easter eggs(JC2 had some awesome easter eggs) and shit and NPC's can vastly improve that experience. It's why I mentioned to not read too much into it as I would still recommend JC2 to friends even with my complaints. For example I spent hours and hours and hours of living out my fantasy of flying w/ JC2 specifically because I had so much fun with it and loved the way it looked.

Not my video, but kinda an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVSRNNglYQ

edit: hell, even watching that again is giving me the itch to reinstall JC2.

I really really want to. But with Metal Gear coming out I'm going to wait, but I'm definitely going to pick Mad Max up at some point this month or next month before Fallout 4.

Kamina777

Banned
Too many negative and bashing comments towards Mad Max. Personally, I feel that MGSV is overrated, overhyped and mostly an empty open world game and no longer feels like MGS and MGS3 did but I still don't go into the forum bashing the game especially since I haven't played it yet but will, after Mad Max. :)
Hypocrisy at it's finest!!

ekim

Yep, I know the area you're talking about. First time I really noticed it...but oh well. Back to blowing stuff up.

Now I guess the stones and grass that's popping up so late is randomly generated because bigger fields of stones have a pretty good draw distance,

stufte

Ahh man. Yeah, hopefully it's sooner than later. How much power does that card draw? I had a 680 for the better part of 2 years, isn't the 690 essentially two of those? I'd bet you'd get good-to-great performance on this game with just one side of it working until the inevitable driver's release.

Yah it's pretty much 2 680's. The minspec on the game should be just fine for running this game on one side of the card and it seems like Just Cause 2 supports SLI, so I'm hopeful for some near-release support. SLI is such an amazing thing... when it's supported :\

Yah it's pretty much 2 680's. The minspec on the game should be just fine for running this game on one side of the card and it seems like Just Cause 2 supports SLI, so I'm hopeful for some near-release support. SLI is such an amazing thing... when it's supported :\

I became so frustrated w/ the lack of game-ready SLI drivers when I had SLI going that I just decided that money saved was not worth the frustration and decided to always just buy the absolute best single card I could afford and replace it every 2 years or so. But you are right, SLI/Crossfire is bad ass when it's supported. It just takes too long for support, especially if you like to play new releases day one.

Simo

No dice at GameStop but I tried! Also disappointed there's no midnight launch. I guess MGSV and this didn't warrant it. =/

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Krappadizzle, thanks for understanding ;-)

I wish that everyone else here acted like you rather than take everything so seriously.

Daa9RMq.gif

Definity

The work day seriously needs to finish up. I got places to go and people to kill in the wasteland. That's what I love about open world games. What's around the next corner? Who will I meet in the next region, etc. Plus all the side activities play into my OCD.

Bedlam

True but you don't see me posting the overrated and overhyped comment in the MGSV topic like some are doing in regards to Mad Max.
No one says it's overhyped or overrated. I haven't seen any ratings of Mad Max so far. But I'm voicing my concerns with this particular type of checklist-open-world design. It's pure bloat and little substance. Mad Max is the ideal IP for an open-world game but I wish some developer would've made more with this than just fitting it into that same, old, boring template.

Basically, I love the IP but I hate Ubisoft-style open-worlds (let's not kid ourselves, this game is exactly that). That's where my disappointment comes from.

Top Bottom