• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who's buying Mad Max next week?

ironcreed

Banned
Was trying my best to take down another convoy and out of nowhere this war party shows up with dudes jumping out of the back of truck to fight me. I was forced to stop so chum could do his repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLjqqJVeJ7o&feature=youtu.be&a

This game is just nuts and so fittingly brutal. I love how I keep seeing more amazing moves as well.

WgZnpxS.gif

Slermy

ARG! I was waiting for a deal like that, and when it wasn't posted with the weekly ad I went ahead and pre-ordered the film for store pick-up (was going to wait a little bit on the game).

I guess I'll have to try my luck at the store's customer service and see if they can do anything. Where did you see this deal? I don't see it posted anywhere.

Thanks for the sneak peeks, I really look forward to seeing more impressions of the game. This thread has put the game squarely on my radar, may lure me to going now-gen.

ARG! I was waiting for a deal like that, and when it wasn't posted with the weekly ad I went ahead and pre-ordered the film for store pick-up (was going to wait a little bit on the game).

I guess I'll have to try my luck at the store's customer service and see if they can do anything. Where did you see this deal? I don't see it posted anywhere.

Here you go. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat401800050004&type=category&ref=199&loc=FKSJxY2VJAk&acampID=1&siteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-8WPFh5fsSgxbqta_s.CTNw

I don't understand why games release during the beginning of the week, either. Also, there are conflicting posts in this thread. Some are saying JaseC said it's unlocking tomorrow at 10AM PST. Others are saying not until Monday... :( Looking for a definitive answer on this. Wondering how 10AM PST is a thing....
IIRC, it's generally due to media sales tracking starting on Tuesday in North America. I think it was set on Tuesday to ensure stores would have things in stock. At this point it's an old, probably outdated tradition.

Sums it up, a greater level of competitiveness and shifting expectations on top of reviewers or who they work for over rating games have played a role in this problem.

bebop242

Just an FYI to those planning to get Mad Max and the movie. Best Buy will give you a $10 discount if you buy both in the same order. If you have GCU, then everything should come out to $58 before tax if you plan to buy the steelbook or regular blu ray edition of the movie.

Also, dont try to preorder online. The website isnt applying the deal correctly. If you plan to take advantage of the preorder certificates then instead you should preorder in store by putting $5 down and picking both of them up on Tuesday.

So you are saying buy the movie and game for $58 and also get the $10 bonus for preordering? Do you need to preorder both the movie and game? This may put me over the edge on the game.

th4tguy

IIRC, it's generally due to media sales tracking starting on Tuesday in North America. I think it was set on Tuesday to ensure stores would have things in stock. At this point it's an old, probably outdated tradition.

Sums it up, a greater level of competitiveness and shifting expectations on top of reviewers or who they work for over rating games have played a role in this problem.
It's based off movie release dates which happens for the reasons you stated. Basically allows stores no matter the size to have time to receive stock and put it out.

Does this game have difficulty options? I'm looking at footage and it seems like every melee fight has Max taking a long time to die with enemies that stand around waiting their turns to attack, and I think additional difficulties like Batman's that turn up the enemy aggression would go a long way.

I'm most definitely getting this game. The only question is whether or not the PC port is a properly made (I know they're doing it in-house).

Otherwise, I'm just gonna get the PS4 version should the PC version not be up to par.

Seriously we are barely a day out and no reviews wtf.

It's like they want Metal Gear to dominate them.

They already lost. I mean MGS gets 10/10 left and right, even trough they played the game with a chicken hat that makes you invisible for the enemies. But thats totally acceptable because its MGS.

Slixshot

Banned
Seriously we are barely a day out and no reviews wtf.

It's like they want Metal Gear to dominate them.

Review embargo normally ends at 12:00 PST on launch day. It's the minority that allow them to be released early and that's ONLY when they are so confident that the reviews will be positive. The last thing publishers want is for people to read shitty reviews and cancel their preorders.

That last part is exactly what I did when The Order 1886 turned out to not be worth $60.

Bandit1

Won't be able to pick this up for awhile since I haven't gone next gen yet, but it's definitely on my list! Hope the game is great and does well, you all have fun with it!

M.W.

Review embargo normally ends at 12:00 PST on launch day. It's the minority that allow them to be released early and that's ONLY when they are so confident that the reviews will be positive. The last thing publishers want is for people to read shitty reviews and cancel their preorders.

That last part is exactly what I did when The Order 1886 turned out to not be worth $60.

Good thing reviews are moot for me. I loved 1886.

So you are saying buy the movie and game for $58 and also get the $10 bonus for preordering? Do you need to preorder both the movie and game? This may put me over the edge on the game.

If you do an in store preorder of the game before tomorrow at closing and have GCU everything should come out to $58 before tax; add $7 if 3D movie. You should also get $10 in certificates making it $48 after everything.

You only have to preorder the game, not tge movie.

LAM09

I've enjoyed what I have played so far (played a few story missions and some optional ones). I like the fact that the combat chances as you progress (learn new moves and finishers).

ironcreed

Banned
Not saying it's a bad game! Just to clarify. The vast majority of critics and even GAF buzz has said that it's not a $60 experience. You may be in the minority :) and that's good! Always a good thing when you feel like money was well spent.

On the contrary, most of the impressions here have been positive. At least from what I have seen.

Seems is like it's going to be a good 80-85 type of experience. Which of course is great. A lot of my GOTY stuff over the years has been games in the 75-85 range.

bebop242

If you do an in store preorder of the game before tomorrow at closing and have GCU everything should come out to $58 before tax; add $7 if 3D movie. You should also get $10 in certificates making it $48 after everything.

You only have to preorder the game, not tge movie.

Thanks for this. Then I'll probably have to take a copy of the movie up to the service counter when i get the game so i can buy them together and get the 10 off bundle promo.

On the contrary, most of the impressions here have been positive. At least from what I have seen.

Nobody should care about critics to begin with.

Spec ops the line has a metacritic of 76 and its one of the most underrated games last gen.

Polygon for example goes Apeshit over everything to push the metacritic down. So yeah Metacritic,IGN etc arent what i call trustworthy. Better have the oppinion of a gamer on neogaf than a critic that gets an iphone if he gives Watch_dog a 10/10.

ironcreed

Banned
Nobody should care about critics to begin with.

Spec ops the line has a metacritic of 76 and its one of the most underrated games last gen.

Polygon for example goes Apeshit over everything to push the metacritic down. So yeah Metacritic,IGN etc arent what i call trustworthy. Better have the oppinion of a gamer on neogaf than a critic that gets an iphone if he gives Watch_dog a 10/10.

Oh, I don't. I was just saying that most people who are playing seem to be really enjoying the game. But I am basing my decision on everything I have seen that tells me I will love my time with this. That is all that matters to me, regardless of what numbers get slapped beside it.

addyb

Agree about review scores. I've loved games that have had 6/10 and also disliked 9/10, 10/10 games. All personal preference. All I need to do is watch some footage and I can base my decision on that. I literally watched 5 mins of a twitch stream for this and then hit the pre order button on xbox.com

I've said it before but I was really hoping this would be this years mordor. I wasn't expecting much from that but found it excellent.

Thanks for this. Then I'll probably have to take a copy of the movie up to the service counter when i get the game so i can buy them together and get the 10 off bundle promo.

If it is an in store preorder pick up from the website then you will most likely have to call customer service to get the adjustment. The store and website are completely different.

Top Bottom