• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who's buying Mad Max next week?

To each their own, but I would not give Arkham Knight a 7-7.5 on PC simply for it's unacceptable condition. A 7-7.5 is a good, working game in most people's books. That game was hot garbage from satan's asshole on PC. And I beat it on PC. Twice.

It certainly is a fun game, when it's working. But it's story was bad, and it ran bad(poorly), and WB should feel bad.

I'm expecting to see Mad Max in/around the 8-9 range depending on whether the reviewer is a fan of the source material, or isn't unfairly comparing it to MGSV.

But I also don't give a shit about reviews either and can just watch a bunch of media(and in the case of Mad Max, there has been a lot) and form my own opinion on whether I'd like something instead of relying on some asshole going for clicks. When you live or die by the amount of people who click on your reviews, writers tend to err on the side of CLICKBAIT and will usually, unfairly rate a game too highly or way too low simply for the clicks. If Arkham Knight had a bunch of PC footage out in the wild I certainly would have sold the key that came with my GPU instead of being stuck with it. I tried to go through customer service with Amazon and EVGA and they essentially told me I was shit outta luck w/ trying to switch it for the MGSV codes they were giving out at the time.

I'm not factoring in the shitty performance of the PC version, if I did it'd be much lower even though I didn't have most of the issues that others did. The story was a predictable disappointment but entertaining enough I guess for certain reasons but yeah it was not good, the side missions had no real substance, secondary characters being relegated to a few fights with a tacked on switching gimmick was lame, the Batmobile was a novelty that was over used and as I called it in other topics, the "Poochie" of the game, oh and the gutting of Challenge mode which while not a huge fan of like some, was a letdown. I've yet to get my last Riddler Trophy because of a bug but still over all I enjoyed the experience while it lasted the 60+ hours I played so far. I don't think the amount or quality of the side content matches the environment Rocksteady created and while I didn't have issues completing them the Riddler race tracks are pure nonsensical bullshit. I never played Origins but of the Rocksteady games Arkham Knight is over all third place. Maybe a seven for me is too high.

I didn't have a ton of problems with performance outside of not being anywhere near where it should've been, it still ran better than the console version for me after I disabled the stupid smoke/fog effect but the only reason for that was because it and my page file ran off my SSD, it also helped a little that I upgraded my RAM a week or so after BAK's release. I'm holding off on a second play through until the patch comes out.

Don't know if you tried but with Amazon you're better off talking to customer service over the phone though success with them seems a lot more hit or miss than it has been with NewEgg.

My expectations for Mad Max aren't that high TBH so it might rate better with me, I enjoyed Shadows of Mordor quite a bit and that seems to be a go to comparison though that was mainly due to the "Nemesis system" and how Monolith tooled the Arkham combat system to their game. I can honestly say I actually enjoyed SoM's combat more than Arkham Knight's.

I can't believe there are people who beat stuff like MGS V already. I take my time with games(especially open world experiences). I want to get my money's worth and explore everything that the developer intended me to see. Why rush the experience?

Well, it's been out in the wild for a week or two now, that's plenty of time for many to put a ton of hours into it.

PARANO1A

Huh, didn't realize that GMG's deal extends up until release day. Looks like I'll still have time to read some reviews before I fully commit to a purchase.

Are there any (legit) sites that have a better deal?
Ozgameshop (reputable Australian shop) have it for cheap. I imagine much cheaper for Americans given the exchange rate right now.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For those who are playing through the game, how is the music? Thanks.

Braag

Ozgameshop (reputable Australian shop) have it for cheap. I imagine much cheaper for Americans given the exchange rate right now.

Just checked their site and it's 10€ cheaper than what GMG is offering.
Are their keys global? Wondering if I could buy a key from them (EU).

I'm still waiting for early reviews though :p

M.W.

Just checked their site and it's 10€ cheaper than what GMG is offering.
Are their keys global? Wondering if I could buy a key from them (EU).

I'm still waiting for early reviews though :p

Waiting for what? A score to justify your purchase? It's already cheap and you seem interested, get it. I hate that GAF is so reliant on reviews.

LProtag

I'm just starting a new job and I'm super busy, don't think I'll be able to have time for games any time soon, though I am buying Steins;Gate and MGSV in case I have some free time.

I'll probably pick this up sooner or later, depending on impressions.

Braag

Waiting for what? A score to justify your purchase? It's already cheap and you seem interested, get it. I hate that GAF is so reliant on reviews.

Mainly want to know how good the port is. Though if it's done by Avalanche it should be good.
I also have MGSV all ready pre ordered so I'm not sure how much of my time that will take this month, so I'm kinda still on the fence but the low price is really tempting me.

void666

Banned
Bought it. Also bought MGSV.
Oh, i my xbox one just arrived and i have halo mcc and gears of war to play.
And on september 15 destiny ttk launches.

Help...

I'm not factoring in the shitty performance of the PC version, if I did it'd be much lower even though I didn't have most of the issues that others did. The story was a predictable disappointment but entertaining enough I guess for certain reasons but yeah it was not good, the side missions had no real substance, secondary characters being relegated to a few fights with a tacked on switching gimmick was lame, the Batmobile was a novelty that was over used and as I called it in other topics, the "Poochie" of the game, oh and the gutting of Challenge mode which while not a huge fan of like some, was a letdown. I've yet to get my last Riddler Trophy because of a bug but still over all I enjoyed the experience while it lasted the 60+ hours I played so far. I don't think the amount or quality of the side content matches the environment Rocksteady created and while I didn't have issues completing them the Riddler race tracks are pure nonsensical bullshit. I never played Origins but of the Rocksteady games Arkham Knight is over all third place. Maybe a seven for me is too high.

Well, it's been out in the wild for a week or two now, that's plenty of time for many to put a ton of hours into it.

I love you.

I
My expectations for Mad Max aren't that high TBH so it might rate better with me, I enjoyed Shadows of Mordor quite a bit and that seems to be a go to comparison though that was mainly due to the "Nemesis system" and how Monolith tooled the Arkham combat system to their game. I can honestly say I actually enjoyed SoM's combat more than Arkham Knight's.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I don't have high expectations for MM because I hadn't followed it at all and more or less didn't realize it was coming out until about 2 weeks ago. Which I think is why I love what I've seen. I had zero expectations and think it looks RRREEEEAAALLLyyyyy FUN. We'll see though.

Bought it. Also bought MGSV.
Oh, i my xbox one just arrived and i have halo mcc and gears of war to play.
And on september 15 destiny ttk launches.

Help...

giphy.gif

jrcbandit

After the horrendous Arkham Knight port and crap MK X port for the PC, I'll never pre-order a WB game again. So yes I will be waiting on PC reviews and I have 0 interest in purchasing this on consoles day 1 for $60, considering MGS V will take up much of my gaming time.

RM8

I'm somewhat interested, but the combat looks slow and Batman-ish, so eh. I'll grab it for peanuts in the future.

I've never played a game made by this company. What should I expect? I'll admit to getting the impression they have great but flawed ideas with lots of jank heaped on. Is this accurate? I'm assuming reviews will pop up tomorrow night.

I've got a ten percent off PSN code from pre-ordering Madden 16 digitally and I just schemed up 40 bucks worth of credit to add to my pile (an American express offer combined with some target toilet paper orders that yielded gift cards).

After the horrendous Arkham Knight port and crap MK X port for the PC, I'll never pre-order a WB game again. So yes I will be waiting on PC reviews and I have 0 interest in purchasing this on consoles day 1 for $60, considering MGS V will take up much of my gaming time.

I think this a more than fair stance to take, even considering how great the game looks. Sucks for Avalanche though.

Still gonna day 1 this. With all this great ass footage, I couldn't pass up on the $35.17 it was going for at the time. I feel a bit silly though, knowing I could have had it for even cheaper and let my impatience get the best of me.

I've never played a game made by this company. What should I expect? I'll admit to getting the impression they have great but flawed ideas with lots of jank heaped on.

tumblr_ltessga71v1qlhokco1_500.gif

Watching people play it on PS4.

Looks canny on the streams actually. Looks like they nailed the feel from the source materials. Really authentic. Reminds me a bit of Borderlands mixed with MotorStorm mixed with Just Cause with added Batman combat.

Just think I've had my fill of open world games and destroy x amount of this and finding x amount of that. It's all just become samey and a drag. Plus it's releasing at such a bad time.

But on the whole it seems like it could be somewhat fun and surprisingly decent despite perhaps the usually open world mechanics that I've become sick of.

You are much better off ebaying over gamestop.

A quick look and you could have sold all of those for around 85'ish bucks or so on average.
He also didn't have to mess with eBay and PayPal taking their cuts, boxing up and shipping them off, and dealing with potential shenanigans from scumbags on Ebay.

It's like a convenience tax, and well worth it.

void666

Banned
I don't expect this game to be mindblowing. I always wanted to play a real mad max game since i was a kid. And this looks like it.
I just want to drive through the desert blowing stuff and being a badass.

I wish i could play this today. Tomorrow is going to be a rough day at work.

addyb

I'm not jumping on ya, just offering a bit of advice. Saul good baby'.

I think it's been mentioned by the Dev's to be in the ballpark of 40-60 hours. Depending on your playstyle.

I've heard 40-50 hours. I guess it depends on how much side stuff you want to do.

Decent length then. I think my mordor playthrough was around that and it felt like the perfect length. I'm going to be rotating this and mgs v so plenty to last me until the next batch of games :)

I don't expect this game to be mindblowing. I always wanted to play a real mad max game since i was a kid. And this looks like it.

nLHA3JO.gif

Decent length then. I think my mordor playthrough was around that and it felt like the perfect length. I'm going to be rotating this and mgs v so plenty to last me until the next batch of games :)

My Mordor playthrough was 27 hours, but that's two playthroughs. How many did you do?

Definity

Too short? It is a huge open world game with tons to do. I am hearing at least 25 hours or more, with plenty left.

I've knocked out several story missions and I think those are actually going to end pretty quickly if they keep playing out the way I expect them to. I think I'm closing in on act 3 and I believe there are 5 total acts. I get totally lost in all the side mission stuff and have already wasted 25 hours of my life playing this but I do a ton of the side stuff.

I'm just guessing here but I think the main story will probably come in anywhere from 10 - 15 hours. Again, I'm GUESSING here based on what I've seen. Who knows, the last two acts could be completely filled with story missions. Maybe somebody else that is playing can chime in.

I'm personally having a blast with it.

addyb

My Mordor playthrough was 27 hours, but that's two playthroughs. How many did you do?

Just the one but I do faff around on these games. I spent ages at the start exploring everywhere and I was showing a friend and admittedly doing crap early on lol.

Just remember there is no mouthwash in the wasteland.

YOIcIB2.gif

:p

ironcreed

Banned
I've knocked out several story missions and I think those are actually going to end pretty quickly if they keep playing out the way I expect them to. I think I'm closing in on act 3 and I believe there are 5 total acts. I get totally lost in all the side mission stuff and have already wasted 25 hours of my life playing this but I do a ton of the side stuff.

I'm just guessing here but I think the main story will probably come in anywhere from 10 - 15 hours. Again, I'm GUESSING here based on what I've seen. Who knows, the last two acts could be completely filled with story missions. Maybe somebody else that is playing can chime in.

I'm personally having a blast with it.

Yeah, the game length is the least of my concerns.

How large is Avalanche? It is amazing they can release this and Just Cause 3 in one year given the scope of each.

They hired a second team to work on JC3. The one based in New York are the new guys working on JC3 and the original guys are in Stockholm, Sweden doin' work on MM. Both games are using the same tech too.

Lol

Another day. Another english lesson learned.

:D

Happens to the best of em'.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Mainly want to know how good the port is. Though if it's done by Avalanche it should be good.

Its not a port on PC.

The PC version is being developed concurrently with the console version.
And after Just Cause 2 which is still a dman good looking game, i cant hate on Avalanche stockholm....im sure thy will impress us with their game.

They hired a second team to work on JC3. The one based in New York are the new guys working on JC3 and the original guys are in Stockholm, Sweden doin' work on MM. Both games are using the same tech too.

Happens to the best of em'.

Since I've run into all this new PSN credit (and a ten percent off PSN code), I'm not sure where to blow it. I might as well wait until after some games release. I've pretty much reserved most anything I definitely have to have this year. I was looking at the Avalanche games and One piece for right now. Not sure what new series I might try with it.

The Flash

Banned
Considering that Fury Road is one of the best movies I've seen a long time, and the game itself looks halfway decent, I say the chances of me getting it are pretty good.

Top Bottom