• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Social features and integration: Xbox One and PS4 comparison (image heavy)

I love the Xbox one OS. At first I disliked it but overtime I really like it. I prefer it over the ps4 os any day of the week. I just wished the Xbox one was a more powerful console.

VanWinkle

Please give me an example of what's overly complicated about doing things on the Xbox One? Also what tasks on the PS4 are more simple than on the X1? You're right we're on a gaming forum with gamers who are tech savvy and have used many consoles. So it really baffles me how the people on this forum who are the hardcore gamers have trouble using the X1's OS And haven't adapted...

In any given week, I'm usually playing 3-5 games from my library. On XB1, I would have to either pin all of my games, which would be ridiculous (I have a lot), cycle out pins any time I am playing a new set of games, or go to the Games and Apps section any time I play a different game. With PS4, your most recent 15 games and apps are right there, ready to go.

If I want to check messages? Achievements? For some reason, they're in the Games and Apps section. Why is Messages an app? Why is Settings an app? Why do messages automatically snap but settings don't? This isn't intuitive. On PS4, most of your typically used functionality is at the top of the UI, organized thoughtfully.

If I want to share a screenshot? You double press the home button, press Y, press the home button to go to that screenshot, wait five to ten minutes for the "Share' option to show up, and finally select where you want to share it. On PS4, you press the Share button, Upload Screenshot, and select where you want to share it.

I could give more examples, but suffice it to say the PS4 OS is organized in a thoughtful way and brings the functionality in ways that make sense. I don't like everything about the PS4 OS and it's missing some functionality, but it feels like it has a cohesive design. The XB1 OS doesn't make sense. It has a lot of functionality, but it feels cobbled together. The OS doesn't feel like it was DESIGNED. And I think the fact that they rely on you to lay it out yourself with pins to make it half-way intuitive says it all.

And, it seems like you should be able to understand this, but one can say that the OS is difficult to use and unintuitive even if that person can personally make their way around it. I know how to navigate the XB1 OS, but I can still see that it's unintuitive, clunky, and poorly designed, even if it has good functionality.

In any given week, I'm usually playing 3-5 games from my library. On XB1, I would have to either pin all of my games, which would be ridiculous (I have a lot), cycle out pins any time I am playing a new set of games, or go to the Games and Apps section any time I play a different game. With PS4, your most recent 15 games and apps are right there, ready to go.

If I want to check messages? Achievements? For some reason, they're in the Games and Apps section. Why is Messages an app? Why is Settings an app? Why do messages automatically snap but settings don't? This isn't intuitive. On PS4, most of your typically used functionality is at the top of the UI, organized thoughtfully.

If I want to share a screenshot? You double press the home button, press Y, press the home button to go to that screenshot, wait five to ten minutes for the "Share' option to show up, and finally select where you want to share it. On PS4, you press the Share button, Upload Screenshot, and select where you want to share it.

I could give more examples, but suffice it to say the PS4 OS is organized in a thoughtful way and brings the functionality in ways that make sense. I don't like everything about the PS4 OS and it's missing some functionality, but it feels like it has a cohesive design. The XB1 OS doesn't make sense. It has a lot of functionality, but it feels cobbled together. The OS doesn't feel like it was DESIGNED. And I think the fact that they rely on you to lay it out yourself with pins to make it half-way intuitive says it all.

And, it seems like you should be able to understand this, but one can say objectively that the OS is difficult to use and unintuitive even if that person can personally make their way around it. I know how to navigate the XB1 OS, but I can still see that it's unintuitive, clunky, and poorly designed, even if it has good functionality.

I was with you 100% until you misused the word "objectively."

Still an excellent post.

PrinceKee

And, it seems like you should be able to understand this, but one can say that the OS is difficult to use and unintuitive even if that person can personally make their way around it. I know how to navigate the XB1 OS, but I can still see that it's unintuitive, clunky, and poorly designed, even if it has good functionality.

Is it really that hard to pin the 3-5 games you're playing at the time to the front? You lost me with that. I have probably 30 or more digital games on my X1 and pin the ones I'm playing the most along with Netflix shows and my most used apps.. The X1 keeps 2 or 3 of your most recently used games or apps right on the home screen even if they're not pins. To check messages you just go to your friends list and go to messages. I don't see what's so hard about that. The only thing I hate about Xbox one messages is you don't get a notification when you have one unless you use the Smartglass app on a phone or tablet. You can see the icon on the friends window but, it's so inconspicuous. Why do you want your settings snapped? The PS4 settings don't snap. It's not has hard to share a screenshot as you described. You get way more options also where to share and can save it to One Drive. Sharing on the PS4 isn't that much better. I feel like there's too much scrolling left and right on the PS4's UI. When I want to change between wifi and using a lan scroll all the way to the right for the settings. When I want to look at my game library scroll all the way to the right to get to game library. I get people have their favorites, I just don't get how people make it sound like doing things on the X1 is sooooo laborious...

DirtyLarry

As a 40 year old man whose personal version of social gaming consists of how close my dog is sleeping next to me while I am playing a game, I prefer the simplicity of the PS4 OS.
The One's OS is just way too cluttered.

Really I think it comes down to the fact that both OS's represent their companies respective visions for each system.
The One is the all-in-one entertainment platform while the PS4 is the gaming console with some secondary features thrown in.
Another way of looking at it...
The One is trying to do everything with mixed results depending on what you are trying to do.
The PS4 does one thing very well. Everything else not so much.

Since I happen to only need to do one thing, and that is play games, the PS4 is the one I prefer. It is not like I dislike the One's OS though. I just feel like there is always one extra step involved to do something. Much like Windows itself though actually.
The truth is MS has a very complicated ecosystem which they need to try and simplify as much as possible. And that is no easy task.

On Demand

Banned
oneida......presence data is required for all games on 360 and XB1. PS3 and PS4 it's up to the developers which sucks. For example Batman AK on XB1 has it. Just now i looked under someones name and it says "Exploring Gotham City"- on PS4 it just says "Batman Arkham Knight"- even apps have presence data. If watching Netflix it will say "watching a movie" or "watching a TV show"- so you are correct. Sony should of made it standard for PS4. But it's Sony. They still have the firmware team in Japan which is idiotic seeing how PS4 is more successful everywhere else and Japan frankly doesn't know how to make U.S. centric features.

etta

my hard graphic balls
oneida......presence data is required for all games on 360 and XB1. PS3 and PS4 it's up to the developers which sucks. For example Batman AK on XB1 has it. Just now i looked under someones name and it says "Exploring Gotham City"- on PS4 it just says "Batman Arkham Knight"- even apps have presence data. If watching Netflix it will say "watching a movie" or "watching a TV show"- so you are correct. Sony should of made it standard for PS4. But it's Sony. They still have the firmware team in Japan which is idiotic seeing how PS4 is more successful everywhere else and Japan frankly doesn't know how to make U.S. centric features.
Yea, I really love this feature. Makes it feel more connected. I use it to mock friends when they are down in FIFA, because it shows the score live.

Top Bottom