• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Social features and integration: Xbox One and PS4 comparison (image heavy)

I follow them because I actually got to play with them a few times (not Spencer), and they are pretty cool people judging by their podcast.

A lesser man would say "That's what they're trying to make you think as they try to turn you into a good and obedient little consumer" but that man is not I.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It does have screenshots and videos, as well as a separate entry for what friends are currently streaming. It just defaults to strangers only when no friend of yours is streaming.

Overall I think the What's New thing would probably look a bit more lively if you had more friends.

Added to OP.

Three

lastgen thoughts:
moving from XBL to PSN it was disappointing to be unable to see what people were doing in a game. if someone is idling in training mode it's entirely different than being active in room match. PSN tells you what they're playing, but seemingly nothing else.
I believe it does tell you. it depends on the game just like XBL

It does have screenshots and videos, as well as a separate entry for what friends are currently streaming. It just defaults to strangers only when no friend of yours is streaming.

Overall I think the What's New thing would probably look a bit more lively if you had more friends.
You are correct. My friends list is filled with gaffers and I love my ps4 activity feed. There are always screenshots and great videos.

I guess your experience varies by your friends and what they do. I also like that on ps4 I can constantly scroll through activity almost infinitely to see if I missed anything. Xbone has a very small entry limit of like 25 or so entries total and then hard stop.

Warablo

I love the activity feed on the Xb1, which I hate on the Ps4. Xb1 OS is great, just needs more stability. Though the guide button from the 360 OS is still the best.

After having xbox 360 moving to ps4 for a year it is missing a lot of cool things like offline user and is really barebones. I bought an xbox one last week and even though I feel it's a step back from the 360 its way better for me than ps4.

This is how my friend and I felt when we got a Xbox One after a Ps4.

Also the activity feed on xbone is worthless compared to ps4. Even with ads and suggestions the ps4 shows you so much more information at a glance and it is endless. On xbone it shows what, 25 or less activity entries and most of those are achievements? Practically worthless.

Its way more useful than the Ps4 feed. Plus you can filter it to achievements, video, or screenshots.

Majine

Banned
I think it sucks that neither has friend groups. It's great that we can have like 400 friends but it's kinda wasted when it's just one giant list of people. It would be so helpful to organize them into "Work buddies", "Destiny raid" etc.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I think it sucks that neither has friend groups. It's great that we can have like 400 friends but it's kinda wasted when it's just one giant list of people. It would be so helpful to organize them into "Work buddies", "Destiny raid" etc.
this would be rad

Purest 78

I think share play is a pretty awesome social feature on the PS4.

Shareplay is the coolest gaming feature by far this gen imo. I don't really connect features like that with the core OS though. If we're talking about social features it should be added.

+1!!!!!!!

Both consoles please!

I'm not sure why people would even care to know how many hours I spent playing Oneechanbara Z2 Chaos on my PS4.
I like that stat on xbone. I used it recently when a freind was schooling me and my brother on Mortal Kombat X. It was easy to see he had 50 hours in the game vs our 1.5 combined lol.

Its way more useful than the Ps4 feed. Plus you can filter it to achievements, video, or screenshots.
Doesn't the xbone activity feed have a very short hard limit on entries? Every time I use the feed I hit bottom at 25 or so and most of those are achievments.

Also don't like how big each entry is. A HUGE graphic for each one. You can only see 2 or 3 entries on screen. A screen on ps4 shows so much more per screen and seemingly no limit.

Bgamer90

Banned
Good points OP.

Xbox displays more information but I can definitely see how people could view it as "information overload"; Will be interesting to see how all of that information will be accessed/displayed with the new Xbox interface coming in a few months.

Xbox kind of has this now with "favorites" but your idea would greatly improve on that. Good idea.

arhra

[The PS4 activity feed] does have screenshots and videos

Isn't that still limited to people who you're also friends with on social media, though?

Which makes it completely useless.

At least to me (I don't use social media much in the first place, and I'm definitely not going to go adding all the random folks I have on my PSN friendslist).

Xbone has a very small entry limit of like 25 or so entries total and then hard stop.

I just scrolled though mine and got to over 100 entries before it stopped. I think it's time-based rather than a hard limit - the last entries I could see were timestamped as 1d ago, so I think it's probably the past 24h or something.

I like that stat on xbone. I used it recently when a freind was schooling me and my brother on Mortal Kombat X. It was easy to see he had 50 hours in the game vs our 1.5 combined lol.

Ah, I suppose that is useful in its own way. I thought that the achievement/trophy thing would have done the same but I can see how that can be misleading in its own way if someone only specialized on one character in a game.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Good points OP.

Xbox displays more information but I can definitely see how people could view it as "information overload"; Will be interesting to see how all of that information will be accessed/displayed with the new Xbox interface coming in a few months.
Yea, I too was overwhelmed at first, but I got used to it and now I find it quite attractive.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Isn't that still limited to people who you're also friends with on social media, though?
I don't have any social media accounts that are friends with others outside of PSN and it still shows up for me, so that can't be it.

Which makes it completely useless.

At least to me (I don't use social media much in the first place, and I'm definitely not going to go adding all the random folks I have on my PSN friendslist).

I just scrolled though mine and got to over 100 entries before it stopped. I think it's time-based rather than a hard limit - the last entries I could see were timestamped as 1d ago, so I think it's probably the past 24h or something.

So there is still a limit. I have scrolled back several weeks on ps4 before just to test. Is 24 hours then bottom useful? Either way it makes me not want to bother responding or adding to something I see because it will be gone so quick.

Oh and about the ps4 social media limit thing that's in settings. You can make everything public or just share within your social circle.

DrRussian

I think it should be noted that without kinect it's much easier to record gameplay and take screenshots on the ps4 than the Xbox one. Also the ps4 can do it's very limited voice commands through your headset, which I hope Microsoft adds at some point to the Xbox.

Warablo

So there is still a limit. I have scrolled back several weeks on ps4 before just to test. Is 24 hours then bottom useful? Either way it makes me not want to bother responding or adding to something I see because it will be gone so quick.

Oh and about the ps4 social media limit thing that's in settings. You can make everything public or just share within your social circle.

I think if you want to see way back you have to open the Upload Studio app..

I know it sounds like I'm ragging on xbone a lot here in this thread but this thread finally gave me an outlet to share one of several reasons I did hard switch from diehard xbox fan last gen to more Sony this gen.

The ability to share so easily with a button press and know that my content has a good chance of being seen on ps4 is so cool.

I really want that on xbone but the feed is limited in ways and is burried.

I am very very much looking to the windows 10 os refresh to change this.

arhra

I don't have any social media accounts that are friends with others outside of PSN and it still shows up for me, so that can't be it.

OK, yeah, I just double-checked and scrolling through I did see a few screens/videos in my list. They're few and far-between in comparison to my XB1 activity feed though.

I guess that's down to the fact that the XB1 implicitly shares any screen you take/clip you record, whereas on the PS4 it only shows stuff people have explicitly shared to twitter or whatever (which you might never do if you prefer to use a usb to transfer them to your PC so you can get the best possible quality).

So yet another layer on xbone to see what ps4 does by default.

I would love make a video on this if i only had the time. If people that don't have both or have good pool of friends on both could see both side by side.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I know it sounds like I'm ragging on xbone a lot here in this thread but this thread finally gave me an outlet to share one of several reasons I did hard switch from diehard xbox fan last gen to more Sony this gen.

The ability to share so easily with a button press and know that my content has a good chance of being seen on ps4 is so cool.

I really want that on xbone but the feed is limited in ways and is burried.

I am very very much looking to the windows 10 os refresh to change this.

I wonder if with the Elite controller, you could set up to use one of the paddles as a "Share" button. One paddle for screenshots, another for videos.

Fat4all

Banned
I wonder if with the Elite controller, you could set up to use one of the paddles as a "Share" button. One paddle for screenshots, another for videos.

That's a lot of money to drop on social options alone, but it would be a nice add-on feature. I doubt they would market it if it could do that, so who knows if it will.

That would be great!

Didn't they add some share button press combination with a recent update for those without a kinect?

arhra

The website is the easiest way: https://account.xbox.com/en-GB/social?xr=mebarnav

Just scroll down and hit the 'See more' link when you hit the bottom. I just checked and it goes at least a week back and was still going.

That would be great!

Didn't they add some share button press combination with a recent update for those without a kinect?
Double-tap the Xbox button, then hit X to save a clip (last 30s, same as "Record That"), or Y to save a screenshot. And those are automatically uploaded to the cloud and shared on your activity feed.

Pretty sure you won't be able to map those to the Elite's paddles though, it doesn't have any kind of macro features, it just lets you map them 1:1 to any existing input.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Pretty sure you won't be able to map those to the Elite's paddles though, it doesn't have any kind of macro features, it just lets you map them 1:1 to any existing input.
Yea, but the recording feature is on a system level, not game level, so it wouldn't be hard to add with a firmware patch. I mean, they have done crazier things.

Prine

Banned
OP I can't see you mention cloud storage for videos and screens. Om X1 it's uploaded to your one drive, you can share clips outside of the UI which is one of the most convenient things about media sharing for me .

PS4's UI is faster and buggy and Xbox1's UI is better looking and slower.
Id say X1 has more features. Speed should be fixed in new UI.

etta

my hard graphic balls
OP I can't see you mention cloud storage for videos and screens. Om X1 it's uploaded to your one drive, you can share clips outside of the UI which is one of the most convenient things about media sharing for me .
You're right. I will add screens for the screenshot/videos share features.

Tainted

The Xone's social features certainly look better than the PS4's. I like how you can just share a video/screenshot straight to the social page...whereas you have to share it to twitter or facebook for others to see it on PS4 (Unless I am missing something) ?

Remark

Banned
The Xone's social features certainly look better than the PS4's. I like how you can just share a video/screenshot straight to the social page...whereas you have to share it to twitter or facebook for others to see it on PS4 (Unless I am missing something) ?
Your screenshots can go straight to your one drive uncompressed so u can do whatever you want with them on your PC.

This is a GREAT idea.

It also speaks to the single biggest problem with both UIs...the almost total lack of customizability. The Xbone at least allows pinning tiles to home, etc.... But both OS UIs would benefit greatly from allowing users to turn off unwanted/unused features completely. At the very least being able to organize things differently onscreen (like the "friend groups" idea) would be huge for visibility as well as usability.

Right now the Xbone "feels" way ahead in social features to me, but its also a giant cluster-F in terms of finding various features or locations buried under a mountain of screens. For example, I like the Xbone activity feed...but the Xbone store is a complete mess & a giant step back from 360 in terms of finding games you want to buy or how its integrated with social features.

The reverse seems to be true with PS4 in both form & function. Its fast & easy to get to most functions/screens, but lacks features & games don't "feel" like a social experience compared to Xbone. The OS lacks no-brainer customizable organizational features (like folders) that could be easily applied to social features (again, like the friend groups idea). The activity feed, in particular, may go on forever...but its totally useless. And the PSN store sucks just as bad as it did on PS3, altho thankfully browsing around at least no longer takes forever & doesn't hard lock/reset the PS4 (like it still does on PS3...I mean, seriously, Sony?)

Basically, the PS4 gets you where you want to go relatively quickly, but it lacks features & doesn't make gaming feel socially connected. Xbone makes gaming feel socially connected, but if you go deeper into the OS/features than the Home screen without a Kinect its a dumpster fire.

Edit: I should add that my personal feelings on all the video/pic sharing stuff is that I generally couldn't give a rats ass & unless I start a Twitch feed that isn't going to change for me. The "share" button on the DS4, for example, is a useless waste of space to my preferences. But, I recognize to some others this stuff is important, so in that one way at least it seems the PS4 has a "social features" advantage by putting a physical button on the controller.

Xbox UI has been shit since the NX. The overhaul is much needed.

I like PS4s although there are a few things I would add.

Love all the cool features on my X1, but I think it needs to be a bit better organized.

PS4 seems ok too, but I don't own one so IDK

Top Bottom