• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Social features and integration: Xbox One and PS4 comparison (image heavy)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Added sharing capabilities to the thread. Xbox with OneDrive, Activity Feed, and Twitter. PS4 with SharePlay, Facebook and Twitter.

De_Legend

Banned
Freaking Xbone UI gives me a headache everytime...

Good thing I'm no longer working with it for now, maybe the new one will be less of a pain.

RedFury

lastgen thoughts:
moving from XBL to PSN it was disappointing to be unable to see what people were doing in a game. if someone is idling in training mode it's entirely different than being active in room match. PSN tells you what they're playing, but seemingly nothing else.
Lol this is false. Just the other day I was like hey what is [name] doing? "Playing GTA V: in strip club"...oh, I'll send him an invite later.
I thought X1 UI was getting updated this month with the launch of W10?

I only own a PS4, so my thoughts are solely on that console. I didn't buy it as a Facebook device, so things like the activity feed are pointless in my eyes, and the bloody thing stops working (same as the store) half the time anyway, requiring a network test to fix.

I want the UI to facilitate the gaming experience. Speed is a big part of that; personally I think the PS4 UI could still stand to be a bit quicker, so if the XBone UI is slower again that must suck. The shit that really annoys me in the PS4 UI (apart from the narcolepsy of the store and activity feed):
  • No indication in the friends list of what platform someone is playing on. I literally have no idea what platform the people in my friends list are playing on unless I go into their individual profile. See three other friends playing GTA V? Awesome, time for a heist. NOPE. Two of them are actually on PS3. Oh, you had no way of telling? Tough shit.
  • No way of grouping friends by game they're playing. Wouldn't it be awesome to see at a glance which of your 300 PSN friends are currently playing Battlefield 4? Yes it would. You can't though. Tough shit.
  • Ways to categorise/group friends. With a shitload of friends it would be great to be able to add them to categories (e.g. IRL friend, work colleague, NeoGAF, trophy partner, etc.).
  • It was news to me in this thread, but the OneDrive angle of XBone uploads sounds great. YouTube integration on the PS4 is very slick so video is fine, but dealing with screenshots and save files is a hassle. More storage (I'm already at my save file limit) that can be easily accessed from a PC would be great. This is where PS+ money should be going.
Again, the Facebook style stuff doesn't interest me, but the speed and convenience for gaming is the most important aspect of the UI for me and the PS4 still needs work (can't comment on XBone).

Omni

I hate that you can't even see when friends come online on the PS4.

Want to play BF4 with a friend but dunno when they're getting on? I hope you don't forget to constantly check your friends list every 10 minutes... Ugh. You'd think it was a simple thing to add.

I have both consoles and prefer the Xbone's dashboard it almost every way - with the exception of the store page, ease of taking screenshots (more of a hardware thing though) and the speediness, if course.

Radec

Want to play BF4 with a friend but dunno when they're getting on? I hope you don't forget to constantly check your friends list every 10 minutes... Ugh. You'd think it was a simple thing to add.

I have both consoles and prefer the Xbone's dashboard it almost every way - with the exception of the store page, ease of taking screenshots (more of a hardware thing though) and the speediness, if course.

What me and my friends are doing is to create a party chat whenever someone logs in. There's a notification for that.

Just a friend online notification would be easier tho.

Occam

I don't need my GUIs to look like this:
homer-s-web-page-o_zps5b3e0bba.gif

Less is more.

Ploid 3.0

These social spying of online console gaming is getting out of control. Crazy stuff, I don't even want to imagine how invasive it will be next gen.

How about that friend message you instead of you camping that friend. If he want to play with you he may look you up and ask if you want to play when he logs on.

madmackem

Added sharing capabilities to the thread. Xbox with OneDrive, Activity Feed, and Twitter. PS4 with SharePlay, Facebook and Twitter.
You've missed YouTube from both and ps4 shares vids you've uploaded to the activity pages as well.

The worst thing about the Xbox ui is everything is a separate app, why did they think this was the way to go when 360 was better with it being a cohesive ui. Launch friends app launch message app app app app app.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You've missed YouTube from both and ps4 shares vids you've uploaded to the activity pages as well.

The worst thing about the Xbox ui is everything is a separate app, why did they think this was the way to go when 360 was better with it being a cohesive ui. Launch friends app launch message app app app app app.

Xbox has share to YouTube?

The new dashboard has built in friends, messages, DVR, party, and I think I am missing one more. They went with separate apps because everything is sandboxed that way, and you can patch things faster and easier because you don't have to test it against anything else in its sandbox, because it's the only thing in there.

Though plain, what I love about the PS4 is minimalism. There isn't so much in the way and my eyes go exactly where they should when I look at the page. The XB1 is an example of utilizing so much empty space but not giving each area it's own breathing space. It's claustrophobic but still much intuitive to use because within all of its layers, there's tons of features. But then their feature overload where it feels like some functions are redundant (some I can't list all). Simple and clean, is always a better "look" than cramped and fully equipped. But it's all personal preference.

Once the new UI comes out, I would like OP to revisit this. Really great comparison thread OP.

Tainted

Your screenshots can go straight to your one drive uncompressed so u can do whatever you want with them on your PC.

PS4 doesn't have onedrive integration, only options are sharing via Twitter, Facebook & Messaging. There should be an option for sharing screenshots/videos directly to the social feed.

I dont use FB or twitter, so my only other option is messaging which is not exactly a neat way of sharing content.

madmackem

Xbox has share to YouTube?

The new dashboard has built in friends, messages, DVR, party, and I think I am missing one more. They went with separate apps because everything is sandboxed that way, and you can patch things faster and easier because you don't have to test it against anything else in its sandbox, because it's the only thing in there.
Yes for videos. And making everything an app doesn't make things faster and it makes it feel like it's all tacked together it doesn't feel like a complete ui.

madmackem

PS4 doesn't have onedrive integration, only options are sharing via Twitter, Facebook & Messaging. There should be an option for sharing screenshots/videos directly to the social feed.

I dont use FB or twitter, so my only other option is messaging which is not exactly a neat way of sharing content.
It has YouTube and when you share a video to YouTube it goes directly to the activity feed for everyone to see.

Got a 'Bone this weekend, and man, not a fan of the UI. Clutter, clutter, clutter. I think PS4's leaves a lot to be desired (I miss the simplistic-to-a-fault PS3 XMB honestly) but it still feels like a breath of fresh air after spending a couple days on the Xbox.

Hopeful for the W10ish update. (I'm also hoping they don't start to phase out voice controls.)

Edit:

Looks so much better.

Xando

XB1 UI makes me not to want to use it. It's such a mess imo, the way it's organized i have to search for shit everytime before i can actually use it. Can't wait for the new UI.

alatif113

A good gaming UI should be able to be utilized without even having to look at it in my opinion. The PS3 XMB was amazing at this. I could log on and start a game before my TV even had a chance to load the image through the HDMI port after being turned on. PS4 comes closer to this than the Xbox One and so I'd give it the win.

On Demand

Banned
XB1 has more features and things are better integrated, but the UI is too damn flashy and filled with too much crap to see. I think advertising on the dashboard is great as it keeps you up to date on what's going on. They just went went overboard with it. Everything is too separate also. Too many clicks to get to where you want to go.

Where as with the PS4, it has a more a simple design but i think that's a good thing. Everything is easy and quick to access all in one location. I think even MS agree's with this since their new UI copies designs and features from both PS3 and PS4.

OP you should add streaming too.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Haven't used an Xbone since Jan '14 but I do like that 'cheevo leaderboard among friends. It's funny how both consoles almost seem at both ends of the spectrum. On one hand you got one that is a cluttered mess and hard to navigate and on the other it seems really bare bones but easy to navigate.

Synth

How about that friend message you instead of you camping that friend. If he want to play with you he may look you up and ask if you want to play when he logs on.

Except if he jumped on first, he probably won't send you an invite when you log on, as he won't be informed that you're online now. Why's it ok for him to look you up, and not the other way around anyway?

It's a stupid omission. If you want to play in private just set yourself to appear offl-... oh yea...

Anion

Personally I like the Xbox one UI cause like how it's set up, although I can see why a lot of people will say it's an information overload. I think once you know the UI decently, it becomes easy to use. Also my kinect voice controls work perfectly surprisingly, just have to recalibrate every 2 months though lol. Regardless, I can't wait to see the new UI. Hopefully everything will be so much faster than it is now.

Remark

Banned
I feel like all the people bagging on the current XB1 UI haven't really used it yet. Yes it looks like a lot which it is tbh but once you sit with it for a day or two it becomes a lot quicker to sift through and isn't really as bad as people make it out to be. Also on the information overload thing, I would rather have more information then less despite the fact.

With that being said, I am ready for the new XB1 UI just for speed really. Snap is the biggest problem on the current UI (to me). It is slow to the point where it's downright unusable at times.

Xbox UI is a total mess. I really try not to use it . I think this is one of the reason why it being revamped. May not be a key reason but defiantly needs it.

STEaMkb

What else am I missing, GAF?

PlayStation 4 Facebook integration (profile pictures, friends list/suggestions, push activity/trophies to Facebook). DailyMotion integration. More video sharing options: 1, 3, 5, 10, 15 minute in length. Quick export media to USB. Ustream, Twitch (and Niconico in Japan).

There is less overlap on PS4. The user interface is almost like Japanese living culture. Everything is simplified, orderly and has its place.

Xbox One UI is like walking into a flashy arcade. So many boxes and contrasting colours, but too much background noise. I think they're doing the right thing with the new interface by simplifying things.

Xbox one store is a clusterfuck (to me) like on PS4, theres a section for PS+ stuff where I can just go and its all there, where as on xbox I had to search for games for gold stuff manually. I also had to google how to change my tag, user profile picture thing, and how to access the flipping download list.

TacosNSalsa

What I would like to know for the Xbox is what are the options to turn this shit off if there are any. . Find most of it incredibly obnoxious on the ps4 , especially the suggested friends. Every time I turn on my ps4 I see 50 random people I may know according to Sony. Some even have nude profile pics .

STEaMkb

I only own a PS4, so my thoughts are solely on that console.

[*]No way of grouping friends by game they're playing. Wouldn't it be awesome to see at a glance which of your 300 PSN friends are currently playing Battlefield 4? Yes it would. You can't though. Tough shit.

Yes, you can. The Now Playing screen informs you which friends are playing the same game. It even tells you how long they have been playing (time elapsed).

The Now Playing screen is top of your Activity wall, along with Game Broadcasts.

system11

That PS4 activity feed is such a mess, and why I never use it.

Same reason I dislike the top level XB1 interface - there are just boxes/tiles everywhere. As a design methodology it sucks and you see it on a lot of websites now too. It's like spilling a bag of skittles on a desk and trying to find the ones you wanted.

STEaMkb

Every time I turn on my ps4 I see 50 random people I may know according to Sony.

Friend prompts are seeded from Facebook. It's exactly the same list of suggestions that you will receive on your desktop computer, the one common factor being they all own PS4s. I don't mind the notification. What annoys me is the lack of option to say 'No, my friend might know this person in real life, but I don't. Please don't suggest this person to me for another 12 months.' It's the same ever-expanding list over and over.

Zach

I can't get over how confusing and overwhelming the Xbox One UI is for me. I just don't get it. I should probably read up on it but I just end up avoiding if. >_>

system11

I can't get over how confusing and overwhelming the Xbox One UI is for me. I just don't get it. I should probably read up on it but I just end up avoiding if. >_>

Welcome to Metro.

Microsoft put branding over usability - end result is that a UI which is defined by the realities of tables and phone input/display hardware (small touchscreens) got applied to things with completely different input/display devices (TVs and monitors, kb/mouse, pads).

jelly

I think UI designers have forgotten at a glance you shouldn't have trouble knowing what is what. The tiles have always failed the millisecond test, you should barely have to think while getting around, better icons would take you half way there to fixing it. The other problem with the Microsoft design is one persons layout makes perfect sense to them but to someone else, it's a complete mess which basically means you've just learned the layout not that it's actually good. UI design has gone out the window with touch and bigger screens for displaying content. I don't know how they can be happy with the design and usability, is it an impossible task, has anyone solved it , is trying to be different a problem, media discovery, ads, different devices. Won't someone find the holy grail. I wonder if it's just voice, you turn you device on and it's just Siri, Cortana, Google Now. Maybe a search box and an actual custom homepage, they need to be more open about that.

TacosNSalsa

Friend prompts are seeded from Facebook. It's exactly the same list of suggestions that you will receive on your desktop computer, the one common factor being they all own PS4s. I don't mind the notification. What annoys me is the lack of option to say 'No, my friend might know this person in real life, but I don't. Please don't suggest this person to me for another 12 months.' It's the same ever-expanding list over and over.
That's odd because in most of these suggestions the friends we have in common are not my friends on facebook.It most certainly is not the same list I get on my desktop. It's just suggesting people that share a friend or 2 with me based on psn alone...the profile pics and real names are most likely based on Facebook accounts the suggestions themselves however are not only based on it. Even the option to say no would be welocomed. The only way to get it off my list is to block people and you can only block so many

Top Bottom