• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software in development exclusively for New 3DS

meppi

If Majora Mask turns out to be one of the exclusive....man, gaf will implode.

Don't really see how it would be necessary since OOT was done in a terrific way on the original hardware.
But I wouldn't mind at all. I tend to pick up just about any new hardware from Nintendo and Sony anyway. Still haven't got a Wii Mini though. ;)

jozero

Neo Member
How are they going to sell the games for this without mass confusion ? ....

Announcing the New New Super Mario Bros, only for New New 3ds ( *** not compatible with New not New 3ds ) !!

Mupod

If I wasn't already planning on a new XL this would bug me a bit. My old zelda 3DS is all kinds of fucked up, partly my fault for not sending it in when it was on warranty and the camera died.

Think it's too late for them to consider patching in some enhancements for the NA release of MH4U? I know MH3U on wii u got some features at the last minute (off-tv).

Also it's going to be funny seeing Used New 3DSes for sale.

I just bought a 3DS XL last month too. Looks like the jokes on me thinking Nintendo wouldn't pull a move like this again.

I really hope this backfires on them. The system isn't even 4 yet and they're already locking us out of content.

Z3M0G

- new 2nd analogue stick/nub
- 2 additional trigger buttons

You'd certainly think they didn't add those for nothing...

Pffftwahahahahaahahahaahaahaaha, oh my sides waahahaahaah oh god.

Yeah keep dreaming because that ain't happening.

I just have a really strong feeling that's coming for the New 3DS.
The reason Nintendo can get away with it is because it wouldn't play like a traditional turn-based Pokemon game.
In a way, it is built for the new New 3DS since it got a second analog nub for camera - which will come in handy since the game will have an over-the-shoulder standard camera view.

tensuke

This is the damn DSi all over again. Just release new consoles, Nintendo, stop mildly upgrading old ones and splitting the userbase.

meppi

I think it's a desperate move to improve 3ds sales milking the fans.
Looks like a very weird move.

Nah, it's clearly a move to try and extend the 3DS life till they are ready to go with a next gen portable.
The idea that next time both the home system and the portable system will be much more interconnected probably has a lot to do with it as well.
Since they can't just scrap the Wii U and go ahead and announce 2 new coupled systems at this time.
We'll probably start to hear rumblings by this time next year at the earliest.

Can you download/transfer your eshop purchases to the new one?

That is pretty much guaranteed. Can't see them not implementing this.
It'll work just like it does between the 3DS, 3DS XL and 2DS right now. Just have to hold on to your system till you get the new one so you can both connect them together to do the transfer.

-PXG-

Mid cycle hardware upgrades, add ons and expansions are historically VERRRRY risky and are basically destined to fail. Who knows, it might work with a hand held better than a stationary console mainly due to the fact that hand helds have a much lower cost admission than consoles and consumers are used to upgrading mobile devices quite frequently too.

FoneBone

I remember Nintendo saying this around the time DSi launched, and it never amounted to anything. Even though Xenoblade is clearly bigger than anything DSi ever got in the way of exclusives, it's still a Wii port (and of a niche-ish cult game, no less). Until there are more big games announced, both first- and third-party, this still looks like more of a DSi situation than GBC.

Bamboo Boy

Neo Member
I'm a owner of a Nintendo 3DS since launch. The price drop hurted me a little, even the ambassador program wasn't enough for me to forget that I waste money buying it at launch and I learned my lesson by not buying consoles at launch. After that Nintendo launched 3DS XL and my reaction was just hype.

Because they launch a new hardware that is better than the one you're actually using doesn't mean betrayal to the userbase to me. If they can attract more consumers by creating new software that they would like more it's fine for me and it's a normal behaviour in the land of business and technology. Just look at the smartphone market.

The "problem" of the exclusive software that people is complaining is baseless IMO. It's like you complain againts progress. The new revision of the console is just following the advances in technology in a less hard way than a complete new portable system. They are just telling us "Hey, we made a new revision that's better that the one you have because it's faster, it has more buttons, etc.". Now, it's YOUR choice to pick it or not (depends in your adquisition power and willing to pay for that new technology).

In conclusion, I feel that the people who are annoyed because of this revision are like saying "I don't want they to offer more advanced products to other people, I want they to stick offering stuff just for me and no-one else!". In a logical way:

Nintendo without a revision offers: A, B and C

Nintendo with a revision offers: A, A+, B, B+, C and C+

They grab a larger market with that. So... What's the bad thing about it?

BriGuy

How much more powerful is the new 3DS? Would the vanilla 3DS be able to handle its games if they were locked to 2D?

Caayn

I'm wondering why did Nintendo not just make a new product instead of making a 3DS 2.0 which will lead to market confusion. Something that they can't exactly use right now with the Wii / WiiU thing still going on.

Rising_Hei

I'm a owner of a Nintendo 3DS since launch. The price drop hurted me a little, even the ambassador program wasn't enough for me to forget that I waste money buying it at launch and I learned my lesson by not buying consoles at launch. After that Nintendo launched 3DS XL and my reaction was just hype.

Because they launch a new hardware that is better than the one you're actually using doesn't mean betrayal to the userbase to me. If they can attract more consumers by creating new software that they would like more it's fine for me and it's a normal behaviour in the land of business and technology. Just look at the smartphone market.

The "problem" of the exclusive software that people is complaining is baseless IMO. It's like you complain againts progress. The new revision of the console is just following the advances in technology in a less hard way than a complete new portable system. They are just telling us "Hey, we made a new revision that's better that the one you have because it's faster, it has more buttons, etc.". Now, it's YOUR choice to pick it or not (depends in your adquisition power and willing to pay for that new technology).

In conclusion, I feel that the people who are annoyed because of this revision are like saying "I don't want they to offer more advanced products to other people, I want they to stick offering stuff just for me and no-one else!". In a logical way:

Nintendo without a revision offers: A, B and C

Nintendo with a revision offers: A, A+, B, B+, C and C+

They grab a larger market with that. So... What's the bad thing about it?

The bad thing about that is that they don't make the game playable on every 3DS simply to sell more new 3DS and make people with old 3DS upgrade, so they're just after $$$ in an aggresive way which hurts a console environment :)

And please, don't make me laugh with comments such as "Xenoblade just couldn't run on the old 3DS" because it COULD. They should just make the game compatible with BOTH, more FPS or wathever on the new 3DS and that is.

Painguy

This is some Sega level bullshit. I bet you we're gonna see some "enhanced on New 3DS" crap. Im gonna be super pissed if any key nintendo franchises are exclusive to this thing.

lt519

This is some Sega level bullshit. I bet you we're gonna see some "enhanced on New 3DS" crap. Im gonna be super pissed if any key nintendo franchises are exclusive to this thing.

Yeah, fuck better hardware and games. Who wants that shit anyway?

ReyVGM

Almost exactly like Game Boy Color now. Old 3DS title development will probably be phased out in 2016.

Still thinking if this has any impact on Nintendo's integrated architecture stuff.

It's exactly like the GBC and the DSi. Both were upgrades to their previous consoles, but with more power, making them effectively a new console so to speak.

sublimit

Banned
This confirms that my decision to wait buying a 3DS was a good one. But then again if i buy one in October who's to say that Nintendo will not release another 3DS in 3-4 years from now with more exclusive games?

-Horizon-

There were already games like PokemonBW that had enhanced with DSi on the game case.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
This is going to confuse the general public...Why not call the New 3DS the 3DSi like they did with the DS?

I wonder if Nintendo will make New 3ds games eshop exclusive to avoid retail confusion and manufacturing costs.
Never thought about this, but this is actually an amazing idea.

Better for Nintendo; no retail "hassle" or mixed messaging... no confused customers buying N3DS games to play on their 3DS and them not working...

I guess if you don't like digital, then that would suck, but as someone who didn't really like digital at all, I'm really digging it on my handhelds.

FoneBone

It's exactly like the GBC and the DSi. Both were upgrades to their previous consoles, but with more power, making them effectively a new console so to speak.

GBC and DSi were hardly the same, and until there's more New 3DS-exclusive software announced, I'm inclined to think it's the latter.

I hope this opens the gates for competent Wii/GCN ports.

Pikmin 1&2, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Gotcha Force, Billy Hatcher, Viewtiful Joe, Goldeneye, Sin and Punishment...I want them all. :)

Foshy

Here's hoping that it's like DSiWare and nothing comes out of it, or at least for awhile ala the Game Boy Color. Because I'm cheap like that.

Xenoblade 3DS looks good, but as long as that's the only big game I'm missing, I can deal.

There's a big difference between DSi exclusive games and games that will be exclusive to nu3DS, in my eyes.

DSi exclusives were quirky experiments that used the camera. nu3DS-only games will be the ones that require slightly more power than the regular 3DS offers, which means they're most likely going to be graphics-intensive 3D "core" games.

I'm wondering why did Nintendo not just make a new product instead of making a 3DS 2.0 which will lead to market confusion. Something that they can't exactly use right now with the Wii / WiiU thing still going on.

Likely because (if speculations are to be believed) they're already working on a unified platform that will replace both the Wii U and the 3DS, and that's still some years off. It wouldn't make sense for them to dump a new system into the market, work up an install base for it - only to piss it away in a few years' time. It'd be a waste for Nintendo, it'd be bad for the people who bought the system and it'd damage the launch of the upcoming platform. Even if you hit a dud, like Nintendo did with the Wii U, you've gotta bite the bullet and deliver on your promises.

Chunky

It's times like this I feel a little disconnected to Gaf at large. They do this literally every time. GBC was the exact same thing, DSi was very similar, and parallels can be drawn to the GBA SP/Micro introducing a necessary feature, aka the backlight. It's a way of creating more options for games during the life of a portable, without waiting until the next generation. It should be considered normal on a portable particularly because you'll likely want to replace it anyway. And if you don't want to, bloody well don't you miserable cunts! What an inane topic to get upset about and what a waste of time it was replying to you lot.

FUCK!

Phil4000

Wait so the more powerful CPU in the "new" 3DS will be used for games and not just the system OS and web browser.. hmm interesting.

Kyzon

It's times like this I feel a little disconnected to Gaf at large. They do this literally evry time. GBC was the exact same thing, DSi was very similar, and parallels can be drawn to the GBA SP/Micro introducing a necessary feature, aka the backlight. It's a way of creating more options for games during the life of a portable, without waiting until the next generation. It should be considered normal on a portable particularly because you'll likely want to replace it anyway. And if you don't want to, bloody well don't you miserable cunts! What an inane topic to get upset about and what a waste of time it was replying to you lot.

FUCK!

O___O who killed your vibe today?

Some people (not me) don't like revisions this major to be this close (not even close) to when the hardware first launched. They also don't wanna be locked out of the exclusive games because they don't want to or can't afford to upgrade (valid concern for that group).

All in all, opinions dude.

This news is smashing to me!

sörine

Banned
Mid cycle hardware upgrades, add ons and expansions are historically VERRRRY risky and are basically destined to fail. Who knows, it might work with a hand held better than a stationary console mainly due to the fact that hand helds have a much lower cost admission than consoles and consumers are used to upgrading mobile devices quite frequently too.
Nintendo has a rather good track record with this sort of thing though. GB Color, Wii Motion Plus and DSi all being examples of that. The only ones I might call a failure were maybe FDS (killed by piracy, MMC/mappers pushed cart tech) and 64DD (dead before it launched).

Top Bottom