• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software in development exclusively for New 3DS

Shaanyboi

Banned
Upgraded versions of ALL OF NINTENDO'S HIT 3DS GAMES! Link Between Worlds Deluxe! Super Mario 3D Land Deluxe! Fire Emblem: Awakening Deluxe!

But seriously, this really is the new Game Boy Color.

Stefan™;127601756 said:
Why not wait 1 or 2 years and release a new handheld instead of this half-assed revision?
777ff663.gif

Sales are dropping, and it seems piracy is becoming serious.

Stefan™;127601756 said:
Why not wait 1 or 2 years and release a new handheld instead of this half-assed revision?
777ff663.gif

Well this is a pretty substantial "revision". Also sales are down the toilet.The problem comes if Nintendo thinks they can actually extend the 3DS generation with NFC and and better CPU.

Given the YOY declines 3DS is seeing, I don't see how this is supposed to buy Nintendo another two years. It's still a very traditional dedicated handheld when the market is increasingly rejecting that model.

I can see why they thought a stopgap was a good idea, but wouldn't it be better to sell 3DS software to as broad a userbase as possible, instead of creating exclusive software that will only sell to a segment of it?

Given the YOY declines 3DS is seeing, I don't see how this is supposed to buy Nintendo another two years. It's still a very traditional dedicated handheld when the market is increasingly rejecting that model.

I can see why they thought a stopgap was a good idea, but wouldn't it be better to sell 3DS software to as broad a userbase as possible, instead of creating exclusive software that will only sell to a segment of it?

The SuperGrafx was a tremendous success.

18-Volt

Meh. Resolution is still crappy and western developers couldn't care less. Plus stupid Nintendo take their time to bring Level 5 games. Bring on the next one Nintendo.

lt519

It's a new handheld this split user base stuff is dumb. The fact that it'll play older 3ds games is like backwards compatibility.

Shaanyboi

Banned
How much more powerful is this thing. From what I'm reading from you guys it's not a lot, did Nintendo provide a figure?

They gave side-by-side demonstrations of accessing Miiverse or downloading software. It loaded twice as fast, if not more.

If Majora Mask turns out to be one of the exclusive....man, gaf will implode.

That's secretly why they did this. They couldn't figure out a way to put an Expansion Pack in the 3DS.

Dremark

Banned
...And the gates have opened...

Fire Emblem please!

Please God no. I bought my 3DS XL a year and a half ago and the only thing I've played for any significant period of time is FE. Would really prefer not to drop more cash on hardware to just play FE.

Honestly, despite my love for the series if I new the 3DS was going to be replaced that quickly I probably wouldn't have bothered.

teiresias

It's a new handheld this split user base stuff is dumb. The fact that it'll play older 3ds games is like backwards compatibility.

You can make that "it's a new handheld" argument all you like, the fact is Nintendo called it "New 3DS" so either it's not a new handheld or they're oblivious to how to name new hardware properly and learned nothing from the Wii-U.

What are the chances Monster Hunter 5 is exclusive for the new 3DS?

If not that, it's very likely the next one. My theory is they want to test the waters with the NFC and the Amiibo merchandise for their "next" unified console. I can see Monster Hunter Amiibo figures (Monsters, Weapons,etc) being the next big thing in Japan

Mlatador

Banned
"Old games will not get a graphical boost"

BUT!

Will older games with not so optimal framerates get a framerate boost??

Protag

Banned
I'd buy three New 3DS's and give Miyamoto and Iwata handjobs AT THE SAME TIME if they can pull out their magic pixie dust and make the new handheld give me a proper sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics....

Something I've been dreaming of for ages....

Bro...

Rezae

Seems pretty obvious this new revision is a stopgap until they are ready for the Wii U successor, so they can sync up the release of both console and handheld on their rumored unified OS.

beril

No. Only the CPU is improved. We're not sure how much yet.

We don't know the details. I could see the GPU getting a clockrate boost as well, because honestly I would never have thought Xenoblade to be particularly CPU intensive. Still far from a new generation leap of course

Has anyone else thought of the possibility they'll make MM3D a New 3DS exclusive to boost its sales? Seems like a given to me with how much people are drooling over it.

I'm guessing regular 3DS games will need a patch to take advantage of the new 3DS controls.

I wonder if the bump in CPU means GBA and SNES games on VC.

GulAtiCa

One thing that I could see happening in terms of eShop content, is if Nintendo Web Framework/Unity makes it's way to the New 3DS. I know I would make games for it under that program if they made a program for the new system, esp since it now has HTML5 support.

iMerc

they said the same thing about the dsi, too.
i wouldn't bet on too many titles being announced.
they'll want to a see how this thing takes off, first. then, that will determine what exclusives they put on it.

just like the dsi.

FoneBone

Stefan™;127601756 said:
777ff663.gif

Their thinking is (presumably) that 3DS sales are declining too sharply not to put out a stopgap revision, in hopes of boosting the market. I don't think it'll work well for them (maybe in Japan).

SerTapTap

Upgraded versions of ALL OF NINTENDO'S HIT 3DS GAMES! Link Between Worlds Deluxe! Super Mario 3D Land Deluxe! Fire Emblem: Awakening Deluxe!

But seriously, this really is the new Game Boy Color.

If they actually released free patches that added optional improved controls to all those games I'd but it ASAP. (they won't)

Trey

If Pokémon releases on this with 60fps locked, I will have no choice but to upgrade. Otherwise, I'm staying with the regular 3DS.

Get on it, Nintendo. The drops in Pokémon are terrible.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Then it would be a fully new portable hardware which Nintendo won't release until 2016

I'd be infinitely more excited and okay with this if they went that route than the 3DSi half assed step we are getting which just pushes a full successor to the 3ds back further.

As of now we are all gonna be paying like $170-$200 (probably) for a NEW system with that old ass screen tech and a PICA 2000 GPU from a decade ago.

sörine

Banned
I expect Nintendo Web Framework and Unity on NN3DS in short order. Making the platform more attractive to indies was probably a high priority given the way the market has been headed.

Better CPU. That's it.
That's all that's been confirmed, and 3DS has two CPUs btw. Going by previous Nintendo iterative hardware upgrades (GB/GBC, DS/DSi, GC/Wii) we can probably expect 1.5-2x faster chips and 3-4x memory.

JordanN

Banned
Game industry is a strange place.

You see pubs wanting to hang onto PS3/360 for dear life while barely supporting PS4/XBO. In the reverse opposite, Nintendo seems ok ditching the old console for the new.

Top Bottom