• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software in development exclusively for New 3DS

Like Majora's Mask needed the Expansion Pack to work, the new Majora's Mask 3D will need the New 3DS.

All hail the glory of the enhanced graphics! Time travel twice as fast with new CPU!

If it meant the graphical overhaul would be much larger than OoT3D I'd be all for this honestly.
Why announce all of this so far in advance of release? Who will want to buy a 3DS this holiday season in the US/EU now?

Nintendo of Japan announced it, the New 3DS comes out in October there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What did Nintendo just say about having a combined architecture moving forwards to simplify development? And now here they are fragmenting their handhelds only 1-2 years before the next proper generation, and confusing their userbase, meanwhile siphoning off resources to make pointless exclusive games that will only alienate the millions that already have 3DSes

What did Nintendo just say about having a combined architecture moving forwards to simplify development? And now here they are fragmenting their handhelds only 1-2 years before the next proper generation, and confusing their userbase, meanwhile siphoning off resources to make pointless exclusive games that will only alienate the millions that already have 3DSes

Nintendo can't please hardcore gamers with simplified development or three-year-old hardware. Welcome to the hardcore Nintendo future.

Glass Rebel

I have massive rock biter hands and that shit was uncomfortable.

vBN0dil.gif

goty 2012

Chunky

Call me crazy, but as someone who skipped Pokémon X/Y with a mind toward eventually picking up Z, I get the sense that Z is a probable candidate for pushing the New 3DS. It might be too big a title to drop the existing 3DS install base, but as a third-entry upgrade in a Pokémon line already saturated on the old system, I wouldn't rule it out either, especially as one of the common complaints I heard about X/Y was its graphical performance (frame drops galore).

While I doubt Nintendo would make XY/XX/XZ/YZ/X2/Y2/Just Z™ exclusive there are two other examples that might set a precedent.
The big one is Crystal, which unlike Gold and Silver was exclusive to Gameboy Colour. The new 3DS seems to function almost exactly like the GBC did, so it's possible the allure of that better CPU might be enough. However, I think it's more likely they'll go down the route of my second example of Black/White. Those games had a few DSi exclusive features, like being able to video chat at 5fps and using WPA2 wifi signals instead of the DS' standard WEP.

tanooki27

I'd buy three New 3DS's and give Miyamoto and Iwata handjobs AT THE SAME TIME if they can pull out their magic pixie dust and make the new handheld give me a proper sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics....

Something I've been dreaming of for ages....

only if koji kondo films it

Other than some exclusive ports of GCN/Wii games and a stable of Unity-powered indie content (think lower end stuff like Ittle Dew) I really don't think the bulk of titles that come from Nintendo will be exclusive. Think DSi, where some games had enhancements. I could see most titles maybe receiving an AA boost or better FPS.

Edit: The Last Story and Pandora's Tower next please!

Reporting this thread for finger based discrimination.
People still know it is coming here. It just seems silly to me to miss the holiday season by such a slim margin.

They did the same with the DSi, and this time around Japan might account for over half of the total sales. But the timing is strange here, there was only a 1 month gap between announce and sale for the DSi.

vBN0dil.gif

goty 2012
Hey, I'd love to play through it, but not when it gives me cramps and destroys my wrists.
People still know it is coming here. It just seems silly to me to miss the holiday season by such a slim margin.
NoA and NoE likely want to focus on the Wii U for the holiday, having a new set of hardware hurts that. They can also take this holiday to clear out the stock of existing 3DS models with sales and bundles. Let's not also forget how massive this holiday is from a software perspective for all 3 of the hardware manufacturers. It makes sense to launch the New 3DS around April.

Apath

NoA and NoE likely want to focus on the Wii U for the holiday, having a new set of hardware hurts that. They can also take this holiday to clear out the stock of existing 3DS models with sales and bundles. Let's not also forget how massive this holiday is from a software perspective for all 3 of the hardware manufacturers. It makes sense to launch the New 3DS around April.
That makes a lot of sense.

Foshy

The dsi also had improved specs same as the nu3ds yet it never got graphically intensive core games as exclusives. Nintendo is not going to abandon the millions of people who already bought a 3ds. At best get the nu3ds will receive ports and small eshop titles as exclusives.

I don't think you understand. DSi exclusives were not possible on regular DS due to the camera. Xenoblade is (probably) not possible on regular 3DS due to specs. Why should small eShop games be nu3DS exclusive, if the only reason to make a nu3DS exclusive is that it needs more power than the regular 3DS can offer? Gating off small games that the old 3DS could actually run would be even more stupid.

Best case scenario is ports, sure, on that I agree. Nice bonus for nu3DS owners while not completely pissing off people with the old one.

GBC came out 8 years later, it was basically a brand new console. DSi is nothing like this, the "exclusives" it had could be largely ignored by the gaming public.

Xenoblade is already a bigger exclusive than anything dsi had. This is the equivalent of the 32x NOT a DSi.

This is spiltting the user base, which I guess to gaf is a no no to everyone but Nintendo. Maybe I am totally wrong and they just massively upgraded the specs to never make a good exclusive for the system, but sorry I am not that optimistic.

But the time EU/NA gets the New3DS, the 3DS ecosystem will be 4 years old - the life cycle of the GBA ecosystem, yet the 3DS ecosystem will still be continuing...

...great news to me!

I've been with 3DS since year one, still having kept my Ambassador status through several systems + transfers, I'm quite enamored by the new revision.

This means no more 'frankenstick' for MH, Xenoblade Chronicles on a portable and whatever mystery software they're cooking up.

This makes 3DS fresh - it's the revitalization for an aging system, proven by the existence of Xenoblade Chronicles, to still not be down for the count and ready to continue kicking ass.

Meesh

If N3ds can run Wii games what's to stop them from finally releasing some GC goodness. Paper Mario TTYD would be welcome.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
How much are the New 3DS going to be?

I am in favor of this if they can beef up the VC with SNES and N64 and GBA, and DS games.

Khaz

2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, New 3DS XL... poor mum's all over the world are going to have no idea what to buy their kids.

Hopefully that will make them listen to what they want instead of taking any random crap of the shelves. #nomoreruinedbirthdays

NolbertoS

If this is the beginning of Nintendo's cross integration strategy, then I'll for the nee exclusive games for 3DS. I've lately myself migrated to be a portable gamer and my consoles are gathering dust. Real life and work doesn't leave me time to do anything else. I'd love to play GC and Wii like games on the 3DS. Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, and Skies of arcadia on a portable machine has me drooling like crazy. Nintendo seems to be laying the groundwork for there next console/handheld synergy iteration.

Top Bottom