• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Lunatics Petition White House for Secession

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Serious question. Is there anything major that southern states contribute to this country either economically, socially, or cultural that you think would be missed if some states somehow seceded? I'm talking Alabama, Georgia, Missippi, Louisian etc.
William Faulkner, Mark Twain, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote.

To name a few.

I don't mind "LOL don't let the door hit you the way out" jokes as a response to something as silly as that story, but fuck people who seriously suggest to kick people out the country because they disagree with them politically.

Movement

To name a few.

Twain is from Missouri, but I see your point. There's always going to be influential and timeless people born in every region, but I feel they'd have more of an incentive to move out of the area given the chance.

NH Apache

Banned
I've been there, place is overrated, expensive and dirty as all fucking hell (I mean literally, garbage all over in the streets, bags and bags just threwn into alleys, pre Katrina). Let them go, nothing missed. I have a feeling this is pretty small minority trying to speak for everyone else there though.

Congrats! You've seen Bourbon street at night. Fyi, that is arguably the shittiest part of the city and your opinion is invalidated if that is your only impression.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-best-cities-for-singles/1

HylianTom

Banned
Serious question. Is there anything major that southern states contribute to this country either economically, socially, or cultural that you think would be missed if some states somehow seceded? I'm talking Alabama, Georgia, Missippi, Louisian etc.

Hmm. Louisiana has a rather significant share of energy infrastructure, and one of the largest ports in the world. In a secession scenario, I'd love for our area to be the Union States' southern island outpost/adult playground/energy & shipping hub. :)

---

And yes, there are parts of New Orleans that are a bit on the gritty side. But there are some parts of the city that are downright lovely, like few other places on this continent. I'll take this city's landscape and architecture over the soulless, ticky-tacky, "Hanna-Barbera looping background" that most of the rest of the country's built landscape resembles. (edit: seriously. Most of this country's built landscape is F-U-G-L-Y.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Obama only got a 4 year term last I heard, not an appointment to dictator-for-life

RPGamer92

Banned
Dang, just realized it's been over 13 years since you guys have had a democrat governor. That seems to be a recent trend for Florida.
It's really interesting how Florida seems to vote Republican for internal elections and Democrat for national elections.

Movement

It's really interesting how Florida seems to vote Republican for internal elections and Democrat for national elections.

I thought it was interesting that Florida had a democrat governor from 1881-1967. Almost 100 years. Except for one prohibition party lol.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Dang, just realized it's been over 13 years since you guys have had a democrat governor. That seems to be a recent trend for Florida.

That asshole needs to go now

$100+ in gas per week, 100 miles a day

All just because of "saving money"

EDIT:

Let's not forget that Rick Scott was involved in the largest medicare fraud in history. IN HISTORY.

Goody

To name a few.

I don't mind "LOL don't let the door hit you the way out" jokes as a response to something as silly as that story, but fuck people who seriously suggest to kick people out the country because they disagree with them politically.
Barry Hannah, Larry Brown, Flannery O'Connor, James Dickey, Katherine Anne Porter, Carson McCullers, Walker Percy, William Styron, Reynolds Price, Cormac McCarthy (who grew up in Tennessee), etc, etc.

This list really can go on and on and on and on.

Twain is from Missouri, but I see your point. There's always going to be influential and timeless people born in every region, but I feel they'd have more of an incentive to move out of the area given the chance.

Southern writers and their literature are a product of the region. These men and women may not have been so gifted in their craft had they been brought up in the Northeast.

As a liberal (I guess), I wouldn't live anywhere besides the South.

aznpxdd

Nearly all products in the great lakes region and central US would have crazy inflation, ignoring the fact that New Orleans has one of the largest and busiest ports in the US.

Is it now? I worked in freight forwarding/international shipping for awhile and never heard of this port, lol.

HylianTom

Banned
As a liberal (I guess), I wouldn't live anywhere besides the South.

One of my favorite things about being a liberal in the South is that we get a front-row seat to the choicest instances of meltdowns. There's nothing quite like Thanksgiving at Grandma's house right after the Democrats just won a big election. Once the older uncles start getting drunk and President Obama appears during a football game on TV - even just for a split moment - oooohhh man.. let the good times roll!

Is it now? I worked in freight forwarding/international shipping for awhile and never heard of this port, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_New_Orleans
It is the 1st in the United States based on volume of cargo handled, second-largest in the state after the Port of South Louisiana, and 13th largest in the U.S. based on value of cargo. It also has the longest wharf in the world, which is 2.01 miles (3.4 km) long and can accommodate 15 vessels at one time.[1]

I'm in New Orleans. Let us separate from the state and stay in the U.S., plz. =(
Idea: they can have everything south and west of the Mississippi River! I never really cared for Gretna and Marrero anyway. (Thomas Morestead and Garrett Hartley would have to move from English Turn into town. They'll enjoy Uptown.. I see Saints players at Whole Foods all the time.)

Movement

Has the idea ever been seriously debated? Why couldn't a state secede if the majority wanted it?

Technically they could. It is almost guaranteed to end badly though. I would love to see a bible-belt state try it out on their own for a few years. Let them test how no taxes, a religious ran government, and no restrictions on gun ownership goes.

Drazgul

Question 1: How many nuclear weapons are placed in these southern states?

A bit dated, but it should give you an idea at least:

oAgc5.jpg

Serious question. Is there anything major that southern states contribute to this country either economically, socially, or cultural that you think would be missed if some states somehow seceded? I'm talking Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana etc.

Gee, I dunno, just most of the best restaurants in the country, and that little thing called the mouth of the Mississippi where most of your fuel and food get delivered from.

I've lived in New Orleans my whole life and let me say I'm just as tired of the ignorant Northerners who think we are all like these petition idiots as I am of the bible-beaters and racists.

You know what else is great? Being flooded out of your home and listening to west and east coasters ask why anyone would be stupid enough to live down here below sea level. No one asks that shit about NYC.

Oh, and considering the great authors from down here, and the fact that Jazz was the first truly uniquely American music, I'm not sure how to even dignify the cultural impact question.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Do it, please do it LA.

I would really like to see this. Not because I don't like LA but because I would really love to laugh at them and drink their bitter tears if they did do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom