• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Lunatics Petition White House for Secession

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqorgar

Banned
It's really interesting how Florida seems to vote Republican for internal elections and Democrat for national elections.
It's partly gerrymandering and partly the fact that local elections tend to have significantly fewer voters, and the ones that stay home tend to be poor minorities who would otherwise vote Democrat. I'd say that Florida is largely liberal, but mostly apathetic.

wildfire

Banned
Let them secede so when we incorporate Puerto Rico we don't have to spend time and money changing the flag. *thumbs up*

Honestly what is their problem? We concluded this decades ago and bloodily I might add. Just let it go.

KissVibes

Banned
I voted for it. You idiots want to see just how bad things can get? Please lord, let me show you. I so hope it happens just so we can bust these losers for immigration when they realize it was too tough. The harsh tears of reality would be orgasmic and fill me with more joythat any human would ever know.

Goddamn, how about you idiots stop being so dumb and petition the government to offer more incentives for keeping factory jobs in the US, punishing those that don't, and fighting against automation which will be the downfall of society and dramatically increase the reliance on government money to live. That's a cause to fight for. Not this dumbfuck secession bullshit.

ascii42

Serious question. Is there anything major that southern states contribute to this country either economically, socially, or cultural that you think would be missed if some states somehow seceded? I'm talking Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana etc.

Off shore oil, Disney World, and Coca-Cola?

raphier

Banned
They would be a third world country within 10 years and need foreign aid to avoid massive death tolls.

They don't care. They do it for the next 20 years until death. Old Senile men who want to put corporations into governments and live by as kings.

i-Lo

A bit dated, but it should give you an idea at least:

I'm speechless. A country that espouses such strong preference for religion as reflected by its politicians' platforms has so many weapons. And on the other end, in Russia the church is gaining more power...

Anyway, from that map, if there was a secession, I'd assume that the south will form its own govt and effectively either be a set of separate countries or another a country (perhaps they'd call it "The land of God and Guns"). In any case there would have to be a removal of the nuclear weapons. There is no fucking way any sane politician would allow the bible belt to hold onto nuclear weapons. Things could get interesting then.

Kreed

It's really interesting how Florida seems to vote Republican for internal elections and Democrat for national elections.

Most democratic voters in Florida stay home for those elections since a presidential election isn't attached to them.

Has the idea ever been seriously debated? Why couldn't a state secede if the majority wanted it?

We fought a war where 600,000 Americans died to pretty much end any debate over this. These people are morons who know nothing will come of it, they just want to stir the pot because there's nothing else for them to do for the next 4 years.

New Orleans always votes blue, are we allowed to stay in guys?

There are some days when I wish NO vould secede from the State, but then I'd feel somehow as to have abandoned the other poor liberals stuck in even worse places in the state. Drive through Bunkie and see an Obama sign and I almost get scared for these people.

Has the idea ever been seriously debated? Why couldn't a state secede if the majority wanted it?

Because the union would go to war to prevent it, like the last time states voluntarily left.

Holy fuck... Soo many freaking nukes... That's insane...

Nah that's definitely sane. In fact it's probably not as many as you'd want to retain as part of a secure arsenal. More than enough for any one enemy, but not enough for all of your enemies.

mr2xxx

Banned
Move everybody that feels like this to a remote part of New Mexico, they have enough dirt to go around. Don't give them any federal money and have reality TV crews there to watch the hilarity ensue.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Let the south go and then build a border fence to cut them off and prevent them from entering the country when the shit hits the fan in 10-20 years. Topsy-turvy that mother fucker. Let them see how it is to be on the other side of the fence.

Torquill

Nope. The issue of whether some states could secede has never come up in the history of the United States.
That is some top quality sarcasm.

Look, the petition is ridiculous, and few signatures on it from idiots.

However, those saying "let them leave" are also ignorant, and the assumption that states like LA offer no value to the nation is both patently absurd, and insulting. For the record, if we did suceed, I'd get the fuck out of here post-haste cause clearly we've lost our damn minds. However, it is a loss that the rest of the US would feel, and feel sharply.

Mississippi access. This alone cements it's value to the nation, but we'll keep going for fun.

New Orleans, a major global port. You don't lose that without some repercussions.

Oil Refineries. Yeah you guys can get crude oil from other states, but who's going to make it useable products with us gone? There are some other places in the country, but your capacity is going to take a sharp nose dive. Your gas prices are gonna hurt. I'm assuming plastics get a little more expensive too. Even if the rest of the US isn't using all of our petro-chemical exports, you still lose out on the international trade.

General agricultural products. A lot of various foodstuffs gonna get more expensive for you, especially if you lose the whole South.

Interstate access. I-10 is a major thru-way for East/West coast travel. Now, granted, if the entire south seceeds this isn't an issue.

Not to be one-sided here, we're pretty fucked as well.

One issue is so obvious even suggesting secession make you retarded. Hurricanes. We're fucked without Federal Aid when the next major one inevitably fucks us up.

We may have the refinaries, but we don't have enough crude oil of our own to make use of the mall, so we're not going to turn into super rich oil mongers (though, we'd be free to exploit the oil we have more without the Fed presumably, though who knows what kind of wreck we make the state in doing so). We could also try to make best good friends with Saudia Arabia and/or Venezuala, but skeptical on that actually happening given the political climate here.

Louisiana Civil War. If the political climate here were to get to a point where secession actually happens, I don't see race relations working out peacefully. I also don't see us doing well in foreign policy with these ultra-conservative xenophobic attitudes, and international trade would be a major key to our prosperity.

Torquill

Let them. Please let them.

Hold on to the area around the Mississippi for the sake of trade. We don't need the rest.

Petro-Chem, Interstate, Agriculture. Also, presumably you want river access for coastal access as you'd no longer need to to ship things into LA itself. However, what good is the extra river access going to do for you when it leads into a foreign coast? ;)

I don't mind "LOL don't let the door hit you the way out" jokes as a response to something as silly as that story, but fuck people who seriously suggest to kick people out the country because they disagree with them politically.

I don't think you get it. THEY want to leave. WE aren't asking them to do anything! I just don't see any reason why we shouldn't let them!

Valnen

I don't mind "LOL don't let the door hit you the way out" jokes as a response to something as silly as that story, but fuck people who seriously suggest to kick people out the country because they disagree with them politically.

When their disagreements mean they want to do things like oppress women and minorities, sorry, I want them gone.

A bit dated, but it should give you an idea at least:

Bangor and King's Bay are the 2 submarine bases in the US. The nukes which are listed there aren't actually sitting in silos or something. They are on nuclear submarines which are busy moving around between strategic points in the oceans, in case we needed to nuke Russia or something at a moment's notice. As far as King's Bay is concerned, in the event that GA seceded the US Navy could send all the submarines berthed at King's Bay out to sea and have them return to Bangor.

The situation is similar for the B-52 bombers based out of Barksdale in LA. They would simply load up their armament and take off from Barksdale and land at one of the airfields in another state if LA tried to secede.

Valnen

Yeah, let 'em go so they can....continue to oppress women and minorities. That'll show 'em.

Better than fruitlessly trying to change them and having them fuck things up down the line. They won't affect as many people if we kick them out.

Chibits12

Banned
The South Shall Rise Again!

Let them secede. Or do what happened in Family Guy: make their own property a country kinda like Sealand.

Kusagari

It's because Florida is one of the worst, if not THE worst, in getting people out to vote in midterm elections. Our midterm elections are usually nothing but older Cubans and seniors.

It doesn't help that our governor is always elected in the midterm. It's why Scott managed to barely get elected.

Dude Abides

Banned
When their disagreements mean they want to do things like oppress women and minorities, sorry, I want them gone.

There are a lot of people living in the south who are not right wing nuts and rely on the federal government. Those people should not have to suffer because their neighbors are ridiculous.

AniHawk

so they got 25k signatures.

i hope the whitehouse responds with

dear so-and-so

thank you for contacting us

at this time, the year is 2012

please feel free to contact us again if you have any other questions or concerns

sincerely,

the whitehouse

There are a lot of people living in the south who are not right wing nuts and rely on the federal government. Those people should not have to suffer because their neighbors are ridiculous.

I don't see any reason why the United States of America wouldn't accept anybody who crossed the border and requested asylum. The real question is if the New Confederate States of America would build walls and fences and sniper towers to prevent their own people from fleeing to the United States. Refugees from the New Confederacy would be more likely to be killed by Confederates than by Americans while trying to cross the border.

No I'm ready to write off the entire south due to the massive combo of obesity/racism/lack of education/bible thumping/intentionally crippling their own education systems.

I am a Texan. I am neither obese nor racist, I like to consider myself educated. Writing an entire population off is in itself, bigoted.

HylianTom

Banned
Between this stuff and the bitter tears thread, this election is the gift that keeps on giving. :)

Sigh, Louisiana stop embarrassing me.

I can't get too embarrassed. It's pretty clear to all here that it's mostly rural crazies who are doing their best possible "Sore-Loserman" imitations, contrasted with the >80% of us in NOLA who picked Obama. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom