• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 3: Shadow of the Hedgehog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back at the last couple of 3D Sonic games and seeing a mature orientated gimmick that smells alot like Warrior Within. I think people have a right to not expect much from this game.

I cannot download the movie link. Are there any mirrors?

From the screenshots, this game does not look THAT bad. It looks interesting, as long as Shadow keeps his speed.

*Saw the trailer. No mention of Sonic or Knuckles.*

So it's only for the GC? Lame...

I see Shadow packs a Tommy gun too. Maybe he'll hijack vehicles and have to pick up willing female hedgehogs for health too.

Of course, he'd have to kill them to get his hard-earned rings back.

AniHawk

SantaCruZer said:
platform undecided...GC seems likley since Sonic has been doing good on Nintendo's console.

It's definitely on GC. PS2 is a good candidate too. Xbox looks very unlikely due to Sonic Heroes sales, and the system not being around come Christmas 2005 or later (if it's a GC timed exclusive). It could get the Rayman 2 vDC treatment for the Xbox 360 though.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Despite the...sigh...gun, I thoughtthe most disappointing thing about the video was how slow it seemed. Even at it's fastest it didn't look that fast. It's been a while since I played the Sonic Heroes demo, but I swear it was faster than anything we saw there.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Mike Works said:
THIS! THIS IS VERY WRONG! Jesus, lets have Crash Bandicoot beat hookers because it'll appeal to current trends!
Guns are guns. Hooker beating is hooker beating. Every game with guns doesn't contain hooker beating. What do you mean?

Mike Works said:
So when a company makes an utterly retarded decision in order to make more money, we're not allowed to call them on it...
How is it a retarded decision. Little judgemental given only a trailer has been shown don't you think?

Mike Works said:
in fact, we're supposed to support and praise their decision to hurt the image of one of the most popular franchises ever because they want to cater to current trends?
How does it hurt a franchise? You might notice that this is not a Sonic game. It's a spin-off using a character from the series. They might make Cream The Rabbit Count 'em Up for children. Would that hurt the image of the true Sonic games? Seriously Mike, you need to take a deep breath. They've taken a formula and added to it, rebranded it and avoided risking the true Sonic brand, a wide decision IMO.

Krowley

I actually like the idea of this for one reason. it's a game designed around a single character!. That means it will probably be more coherent. All the levels should be built around the ability's of that character so they should be similair and have similair kinds of challenges. in other words it's likley that it will be a super fast rollercoaster ride.

Also it's not a sonic game, it's a shadow game. but irregardless of that, the sonic series was always the cool/edgy alternative to mario. A violent angstyt game set in the sonic universe is a perfect fit. i don't see the problem at all.

the trailer actually got me kind of hyped up, even though you can't really tell much about the game . It seems like it could be subversively humorous.

Jacobi

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
platform undecided...GC seems likley since Sonic has been doing good on Nintendo's console.
I think it'll be on all platforms...at last the graphics look like that

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
wait, its coming out for ps2 too? looks ugly as sonic heroes was.

Heroes actually looked pretty good, though, and was MUCH MUCH more detailed than the two previous DC Sonic titles.

I dunno about this game...

The gun thing just looks stupid as hell. :\

Rlan

The trailer is actually for the PS2 version. You can tell because near the end, there are Triangle and Square icons at the top of the screen.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Sho Nuff said:
ohwell5yf.gif

dont be dissin big the cat now...

madara

Agh that sick. Results of world we live in I guess. Not too surprising when two most popular games are GTA and Halos and rest of gaming sells like shit. Makes me want to buy Genesis, they ever make S-video unit of that?

Squeak

Three years on from SA2 and they show a game that has poorer textures made for a superior platform?!
Sonic Team please lay off the RenderWare!

cja

So the group formerly known as Sonic Team are currently developing:

Phantasy Star Universe (GES R&D Dept. #3)
Sonic DS (GES R&D Dept. #3)
TBA DS Game (GES R&D Dept. #3)
TBA PSP Game (GES R&D Dept. #3)
Shadow of the Hedgehog (Sega Studio U.S.A. R&D)

Anything else?

I won't form an opinion until I've played the game.

I don't mind the Shadow character getting his own game. I don't mind the fact that it looks like a modified version of Sonic Heroes. I don't mind the mutants, the angst, the gothic nature of the game. I don't even mind that Shadow uses a firearm.

What I DO mind, is that they chose to give the character the most realistic firearm possible. That's just great. Why not give Mickey Mouse and Super Mario an 8mm handgun while you're at it.

kid-with-gun.jpg

I'm gonna show mommy I'm jus' like Sonic the Hedgehog!

Enigma

madara said:
Agh that sick. Results of world we live in I guess. Not too surprising when two most popular games are GTA and Halos and rest of gaming sells like shit. Makes me want to buy Genesis, they ever make S-video unit of that?

They actually hava a component version (PC -
:D )

Haven't read the entire thread, but I see lots of hate in what I have. Just have to say, I think it has possibilities. Had zero interest based on the last few Sonics, but this at least has potential.

Morts

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that there was news of a new Gamecube-exclusive Sonic game? And now this is for all platforms?

And am I the only one who thinks the character models from SA2 look better than these (and Heroes)? They had a nice plush doll look in SA2, but since Sonic Heroes they've looked like they were made of shiny plastic.

Odnetnin

Banned
That's AWFUL i was wondering about the choice of A VERY REALISTIC GUN in a fairly cartoony world and thinking, this HAS to be a joke. Then that highrez render came up

:lol

WHAt IS WITH THE REALISTIC GUN. MICHAEL MOORE AND ANTI-VIOLENCE ADVOCATES ARE GOING TO HAVE A FIELD DAY WITH THIS.

and oh, DMC lite (but with no cool swordplay)

Sega, meet new low.

D-X

SonicMegaDrive said:
I won't form an opinion until I've played the game.

I don't mind the Shadow character getting his own game. I don't mind the fact that it looks like a modified version of Sonic Heroes. I don't mind the mutants, the angst, the gothic nature of the game. I don't even mind that Shadow uses a firearm.

What I DO mind, is that they chose to give the character the most realistic firearm possible. That's just great. Why not give Mickey Mouse and Super Mario an 8mm handgun while you're at it.

kid-with-gun.jpg

I'm gonna show mommy I'm jus' like Sonic the Hedgehog!

Exactly right. Didn't Sonic Team arrive at the idea for Burning Rangers after seeing too many gun/killing games?

U turn

Borat

Banned
Do we know if Sonic Team are definitely behind this game? I wouldn't be surprised if it being developed in America.

Iceman

What???

This has got to be a dream sequence... or a joke... or misdirection... I think I AM coming down with something. I have been sneezing a bit too often lately...

Morts said:
Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that there was news of a new Gamecube-exclusive Sonic game? And now this is for all platforms?

Naka never said it would be GC exclusive, just that there would be a Sonic game on Gamecube this year.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Borat said:
Do we know if Sonic Team are definitely behind this game? I wouldn't be surprised if it being developed in America.
No, it's actually by Black Ops Entertainment.

If only!

Mrbob

REMOVED AT THE REQUEST OF SEGA

:lol :lol

It is a morning later and I'm still laughing my ass off at this premise. These pics help justify my laughter too! :lol

Forget Mario, Nintendo needs to have Kirby start packing some heat next! Why suck in enemies when you can cap 'em!!

Bat

Would it really be that hard for them to make a game just like the Sonic part in Sonic Adventure 1 (just a little longer)? You know, 10 solid levels with a cute little overworld to tie it all together? Is that too much to ask?

I don't see how anyone can defend this. As others have said, it would be different if Shadow could shoot fireballs from his hands or something but isntead he's holding a freaking pistol (realistic to boot) that is half as big as he is. It really does look like a really bad photoshop job.

Remember the "videogame characters fighting in Iraq" (or whatever it was called) thread? It's like Sega ripped the idea for this game straight from there.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oh, the videogame violence people are simply going to ADORE this.

Cute cuddly cartoon character: Rated E for Everyone

Gunmetal grey baretta: Rated G for GTA

Talking TV heads insisting this is proof game publishers are selling murder to tots:

PRICELESS

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My whole crewwww
Keepin' it gangstaaa

ram

dark10x said:
Heroes actually looked pretty good, though, and was MUCH MUCH more detailed than the two previous DC Sonic titles.

yeah - but not the ps2 version - flickering, only 25fps, slowdowns and downgraded textures

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ram said:
yeah - but not the ps2 version - flickering, only 25fps, slowdowns and downgraded textures

PS2 version wasn't so hot, but it was still above Sonic Adventure 1 on DC. The framerate in SH PS2 was 30 fps (US version) and it featured all of the animation and geometry detail of the original version. The textures were downgraded, though, but they were still decent. I'm not saying the port was actually good (Sonic Team clearly does not know the PS2), but it wasn't THAT bad.

SA1 on the DC was an absolute mess, though. Tons of slowdown, horrible animation, truck loads of loading, and glitches galore. It looked and moved like ass and hasn't held up in the least.

Zilch

Banned
Why in the name of all things Holy does this game look like such shit?! I honestly don't mind the concept that much, but all I see are awful blurry textures and simple models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom