• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 3: Shadow of the Hedgehog

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Gaijin To Ronin said:
errr, at risk of being unpopular I will say that I like the idea.

First, I like Shadow character, I said it before. I think is the best Sonic related character they have created (apart of Sonic himself).

Shadow episodes in SA 2 is the best Sonic 3D I have seen and this looks that it will have lot of it. I really like the idea over some odd mecanic like the Team one.

Have a gun... ok it looks odd but given it´s Shadow and not Sonic I don´t find it something SO wrong as I´m reading from some of you. In fact I´m all for a different way of attacking than the jump over enemies (that looking the trailer seems it´s still there, but at least it will have variety). If Sega wants this to create a "mature" images, I would say it´s wrong. But I have no reasons to think that way, I just think in mecanics and possibilities of gaming.

It´s not that I´m excited, but I like some the ideas I see here.

Same kind of feeling im getting over here. Its just funny to see the reactions of people. OMG their trying something new! How dare they! And a gun! Im as big a Sonic fan as their is and this is a relief from some of the games they have been putting out recently. Be happy its not Knuckles: the never ending, boring, slow, search for chaos emerald shards!

Acosta

My childhood memories are being used as toilet paper.

Did you play Shadow games in your childhood?

ENTER THE SHADOWY WORLD

This part was hilarious I give you that ;)

I know I´m asking for a impossible, but wouldn´t be possible to wait to play to qualify it as "garbage"? When Virtual Fight Adventure (or whatever it´s called) was presented it looked horrendous. I fail to have this feeling with this, I will wait to play.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
"Trying something new."?

How can you look at something like this and not see that it is completely devoid of any imagination? It's as if (misguided) marketing people had more say in this game's vision than actual designers. Yuuuuck >_<

belgurdo

Banned
ColdBlooded33 said:
Same kind of feeling im getting over here. Its just funny to see the reactions of people. OMG their trying something new! How dare they! And a gun! Im as big a

This is why I like the idea too. It's goofy as fuck, yeah, but at least it's fucking DIFFERENT.

chrysostom said:
Just when Sonic Team had redeemed themselves with me by making the wonderfully quirky and fun 'Feel The Magic', they go ahead and manufacture this garbage. Why?! My childhood memories are being used as toilet paper.

That was mostly UGA refugees, I believe.

MrCheez

belgurdo said:
This is why I like the idea too. It's goofy as fuck, yeah, but at least it's fucking DIFFERENT.

I don't see how "oh manz let's make our character hardcore and shoot shit!!1" is different =/

CB3

MrCheez said:
"Trying something new."?

How can you look at something like this and not see that it is completely devoid of any imagination? It's as if (misguided) marketing people had more say in this game's vision than actual designers. Yuuuuck >_<

Yes, because by seeing 30 seconds of ingame footage that is cut up in the first place, with no information about the game at all, we can all tell that it sucks and has no imagination.

MrCheez

ColdBlooded33 said:
Yes, because by seeing 30 seconds of ingame footage that is cut up in the first place, with no information about the game at all, we can all tell that it sucks and has no imagination.

We can only go off of what we have seen so far and what we know. If someone can say the short footage they just saw looks unique, I can just as easily feel that it does not. Would you prefer that no one be allowed to discuss the game until it's released and they have played it? =P

But regardless... I feel pretty safe that I can take a gamble on this one and predict how it's going to end up. >_<

Brannon

The thought running through most of the forumers' brains...

"A clone of THE hedgehog with jet boots and a gun. Great. Awesome. Spectacular even. What next, a Starfox game where Fox is running on the ground most of the time? No, no no no, this doesn't add up at all!"

...okay no more of me bitching about StarFox. It's done, must deal with it.

but it's like crack I tell ya, the bitching.

CB3

MrCheez said:
We can only go off of what we have seen so far and what we know. If someone can say the short footage they just saw looks unique, I can just as easily feel that it does not. Would you prefer that no one be allowed to discuss the game until it's released and they have played it? =P

But regardless... I feel pretty safe that I can take a gamble on this one and predict how it's going to end up. >_<

I never said it looked unique, because it still has some of the elements from both of the Sonic Adventure Games. From what i was able so see from that footage, the gun adds a new way to approach things instead of doing the homing in dash attack that sonic had. I can see how people who didnt like Sonic Adventure in the first place can have an argument about not liking how this looks, but anyone who DID like the previous Sonic games shouldnt pass judgement on a game they have seen so little of.

Acosta

I don't see how "oh manz let's make our character hardcore and shoot shit!!1" is different =/

It´s absolutely impossible that Sonic Team decided to do that because they liked the idea and gameplay possibilities? and not because an attempt to create a mature image?

Just think about it, there is a real possibility that there is nothing beyond "I like the idea of Shadow having a gun so we can do this and that". It doen´t have to mean that they did it to create an image for making it more attractive to the "GTA market".

Note that I don´t say is this way. I´m just giving other option before jumping or things that we don´t really know. If you hate the idea of the gun, perfect (even if we don´t know is fun or not yet), but we shouln´t try to judge the intentions of this without having any clue of what developers were thinking.

ColdBlooded33 said:
OMG their trying something new! How dare they!
Trying something new?? Isn't this just a Sonic Adventure game.. with a gun?

Gaijin To Ronin said:
It´s absolutely impossible that Sonic Team decided to do that because they liked the idea and gameplay possibilities? and not because an attempt to create a mature image?

Just think about it, there is a real possibility that there is nothing beyond "I like the idea of Shadow having a gun so we can do this and that". It doen´t have to mean that they did it to create an image for making it more attractive to the "GTA market".
Sorry, but yeah, they did this to capture or at least present a more "mature" image. Don't try and kid yourself or anyone by implying that there's no way they could've added the shooting mechanic without giving Sonic a fucking 9mm. If this were truly nothing but an added game mechanic in the Sonic universe, they would've given him an emerald powered gun that shoots lasers, or the ability to shoot fire from his hands or something.

But no. They gave him a fucking pistol.

tupac2zf.jpg

MrCheez

Gaijin, I'll just say that I hope you end up being right. But the whole "LOOK HOW HIP AND DARK THIS SHIT IS" theme of the trailer makes me think there is a slim chance.

Chipopo

Banned

Oh, okay. Just like Jak and Daxter was being different when they added a goatee on the protagonist, an unecessary emphasis on gunplay and a GTA overworld. Just like "25 to Life" was being different by taking SOCOM and making it GANGSTA'.

The only thing that makes OG SHADOW different from those above cases is that the blatant appeal to current trends is so half-baked in execution that it sticks out like a sore thumb. Goofy as fuck? yes. Different? Not in any way that's worth praising.

Brannon

Mike Works said:
Trying something new?? Isn't this just a Sonic Adventure game.. with a gun?

Which in a way means it's nothing new since characters with guns have been in parts 1 and 2, just not moving at the speed of sound.

But no. They gave him a fucking pistol.

I would've armed him with fucking Chaos Control; the only way to get max points is to teleport enemies INSIDE EACH OTHER to create chimera-type animals to power up your Chao pets for... something. I dunno. Or you could teleport two bio-weapons (out of many different bioweapons gunning for you) together and out emerges your boss fight of holy shit proportions. Anything really, but Chaos Control has GOT to be better than a gun. Look what it did in part 2!

masud

Banned
Arming your main character with a gun is definitely a bold new direction. I hope that less forward looking developers will follow the visionaries at Sonic team. Imagine if you could look through the characters eyes in some sort of first person viewpoint? Woah I just blew my own mind. The future is out there if you choose to accept it.

Gaijin To Ronin said:

Seriously, my main beef with this is a cartoon hedgehog with a realistic gun. Either put some damned effort into the props, or get Atari on the horn for their Unreal engine.

CB3

Chipopo said:
Oh, okay. Just like Jak and Daxter was being different when they added a goatee on the protagonist, an unecessary emphasis on gunplay and a GTA overworld. Just like "25 to Life" was being different by taking SOCOM and making it GANGSTA'.

The only thing that makes OG SHADOW different from those above cases is that the blatant appeal to current trends is so off-base and half-baked that it sticks out like a sore thumb. Goofy as fuck? yes. Different? Not in any way that's worth praising.

Whats wrong with appealing to current trends? Last time i checked companies were out to make money, not to be catering to every demand of the fans. God knows Sega has seen enough faliures the past couple of years. Give em a break.

Acosta

Sorry, but yeah, they did this to capture or at least present a more "mature" image. Don't try and kid yourself or anyone by implying that there's no way they could've added the shooting mechanic without giving Sonic a fucking 9mm. If this were truly nothing but an added game mechanic in the Sonic universe, they would've given him an emerald powered gun that shoots lasers, or the ability to shoot fire from his hands or something.

I´m no one to kid anyone and I don´t pretend to, you can believe me. But I can´t read minds, forgive me if I don´t judge intentions without knowing any fact. You are right, they could have done other thing, but for me that doen´t mean automatically they wanted to create a "mature" image, maybe was the first thing they thought and they liked the idea, overseeing the "we want it to look mature" effect. I accept this possibility could be real, but I´ll stay open about the issue until I see a developer saying that they did it because image or giving real clues to drive me think this way.

AniHawk

9:50:21 PM (PST): Sonic Adventure 3! Fucking sweet!
9:50:22 PM (PST): Shadow of the Hedgehog? Oh, this better not be-
9:50:37 PM (PST): *reads first post* Fuck.

EDIT: :lol I didn't even see Cerrius's post until now.

Dante

Man,

I was just thinking the other day how awesome the origional Sonic Adventure was the other day, but wow, I am almost speechless. Imagine they unveiled a next-gen Sonic this week at GDC that would have been something. But NO we get Shadow with a 9MM pistol? WTF Sega.

Chipopo

Banned
ColdBlooded33 said:
Whats wrong with appealing to current trends? Last time i checked companies were out to make money, not to be catering to every demand of the fans. God knows Sega has seen enough faliures the past couple of years. Give em a break.

First of all, I was only arguing with the notion of looking at this as something "different" when it's actually quite the opposite. It's conforming towards everything we've come to expect from the industry.

Second of all:

12.jpg

How about one more time

12.jpg

I can't believe ANYTHING MORE NEEDS TO BE SAID.

ColdBlooded33 said:
Whats wrong with appealing to current trends?
THIS! THIS IS VERY WRONG! Jesus, lets have Crash Bandicoot beat hookers because it'll appeal to current trends!

Last time i checked companies were out to make money, not to be catering to every demand of the fans.
So when a company makes an utterly retarded decision in order to make more money, we're not allowed to call them on it... in fact, we're supposed to support and praise their decision to hurt the image of one of the most popular franchises ever because they want to cater to current trends?

God knows Sega has seen enough faliures the past couple of years. Give em a break.
They've fucked up a lot in recent memory, so lets forgive them from fucking up from now on?? When the logic train shoots up your ass, be sure to tell the conductor to steer clear of your head.

AniHawk

The best thing about that trailer was seeing that Sega still remembers Sonic the Fighters.

I WANT SONIC THE FIGHTERS DAMNIT!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Shadow May Cry...or is it?

Umm, I have very little hoep for this game. The only parts that looked decent were the bits of Shadow running very fast. That looks like it would be fun for a few minutes. Otherwise I wouldn't expect this to go past the Sonic Heroes level of gaming...take that to mean whatever you want.

john tv

What's with all the hate? I came into that video fully expecting it to be the worst abomination of anything ever shown to human eyes (thanks, GAF), but actually it looks fine to me. So what if it's not like every other Sonic game? Did everyone forget that the last two (arguably three) 3D Sonic games have been ass? I'm glad they're trying something different.

Usually I understand you guys, whether I agree or not, but this time I'm just lost...

MrCheez

john tv said:
What's with all the hate? I came into that video fully expecting it to be the worst abomination of anything ever shown to human eyes (thanks, GAF), but actually it looks fine to me. So what if it's not like every other Sonic game? Did everyone forget that the last two (arguably three) 3D Sonic games have been ass? I'm glad they're trying something different.

Usually I understand you guys, whether I agree or not, but this time I'm just lost...

Instead of typing out a detailed and intelligent response, I think it'd be far more appropriate to reply with the following:

o_O

Amir0x

Banned
john tv said:

I think the problem is that it seems to adopt much of Sonic Adventure 1/2 shittiness except with a gun.

AniHawk

john tv said:

I think people can't believe Sega can't deliver a simple, proper 3D Sonic the Hedgehog game. There's always something extra that slows the pace down.

sammy

........... wow ...........

I came to the full realization that Sonic is, and has always been, a shitty Genesis teck-demo ever since I found a used copy of 'Nights' some years ago ....

But I'm still in shock ... 'Sonic Team' has their thumbs miles and miles away from the pulse of good taste...

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Did anyone else see that video and think that the best parts of it were the old 2D sonic games shown and how fun they really were? I loved the 2D Sonics. Why can't they just skip all the gun, tails, knuckes, and all the other crap and just have sonic blasting around a 3D world like a maniac. That's how the old ones were, that how these ones should be. No gimmicks, no fluff, just speeeeeeeeeed and speeeeeeeeeeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom