• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galang

Banned
So the new Sonic from the Sonic Team has NX in the plaftorm logos. Told ya people this would not come out on a Nintendo platform.

You act like people were stupid to be skeptical? Sonic has had a big presence on Nintendo platforms regardless; nothing absurd about people questioning its absence.

ZeroX03

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if the team behind this game don't have access to NX dev resources yet. PagodaWest Games is tiny, looks like only five people. Makes sense Sonic Team who are much bigger do. Wouldn't rule out a port.

Either way, anyone with a shred of sense knows that Sonic and Nintendo do well together and there's a good fanbase there.

Visuals and gameplay look on fuckin point. The music was a little weird, as I don't really associate the end/trancey stuff with Sonic, but I didn't hate it.

I'm pretty on board with what they're showing here

It wouldn't surprise me if the team behind this game don't have access to NX dev resources yet. PagodaWest Games is tiny, looks like only five people.

You know, that's actually a good point. Honestly makes sense, given how secretive Nintendo has been with this system.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nope, Sonic looked best in the Advance trilogy.
Advance was really good looking too. Great graphics and style. I don't know much about them though.

Nobody wants a shitty 3D modern Sonic game... we want an amazing 3D modern Sonic game, which shouldn't be that hard to do.
You would think so, but..

Let's face it. Sonic was made to be 2D and should have stayed 2D. They painted themselves into a corner with the gameplay and when 3D came along it totally took them by surprise. Sonic has always struggled. Only a few 3D games could be considered "good". The rest are either terrible or horrible. It's very hard to replicate Sonic's original gameplay in a 3D environment without it being wonky.

Sonic should be 2D. Forever and ever.

IMHO.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Cool I would actually play this

Advance was really good looking too. Great graphics and style. I don't know much about them though.

You would think so, but..

Let's face it. Sonic was made to be 2D and should have stayed 2D. They painted themselves into a corner with the gameplay and when 3D came along it totally took them by surprise. Sonic has always struggled. Only a few 3D games could be considered "good". The rest are either terrible or horrible. It's very hard to replicate Sonic's original gameplay in a 3D environment without it being wonky.

IMHO.
2D Sonic's gameplay was all about pinball physics. Bouncing and shooting around the screen. It really doesn't work with the same amount of tightness in a 3D space

Zubz

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if the team behind this game don't have access to NX dev resources yet. PagodaWest Games is tiny, looks like only five people. Makes sense Sonic Team who are much bigger do. Wouldn't rule out a port.

Either way, anyone with a shred of sense knows that Sonic and Nintendo do well together and there's a good fanbase there.

I'm hoping that's it, since the other game (I really hate the idea, but the trailer makes me think it'll be called "Sonic Resistance") is a Sonic Team project, and therefore they'd be right on it. That said, if the NX is getting the AAA game, why not give it the A+, lower-budget, easier-to-run game on a system whose predecessor made a killing off of Freedom Planet (Which basically Genesis-era Sonic with a new IP)? Maybe it'll get the game down the road, after PagodaWest gets an NX devkit?

tumblr_oaqxhzRt1n1r0fu7go1_540.gif

I'm hyped. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the first video game I ever played and I'm pretty nostalgic for the genesis games.

Then how come they haven't made a single one?

Colors and Generations are like 75% 2D.

Because Sega is incompetent.

Let's face it. Sonic was made to be 2D and should have stayed 2D.
They painted themselves into a corner with the gameplay and when 3D came along it totally took them by surprise.
It's very hard to replicate Sonic's original gameplay in a 3D environment without it being wonky.

I heavily disagree with that. A lot of the 3D Sonic games have almost got it right.Sega is just incapable of going all the way. Even the 2D Sonic games they've attempted haven't been as good as the originals. They're incapable of creating a great new Sonic game whether 2D or 3D.

Now, I'm assuming Sonic Mania will be good, but that's just because they're just going the Mega Man 9 route and living in the past because they can't evolve. It's better than nothing, but Sonic could be/should have been so much more by now.

thefro

Yep, that was my thought. I would bet NX gets a port announced once dev kits start going out to more people.

Seik

Banned
This will be good, I can feel it in the deep core of my soul.

Please, for the love of everything that's good in this damn forsaken world, BE GOOD!

And yeah, that title screen is beautiful!!!

Zubz

Banned
KingBroly brought it up much earlier in the thread but Taxman has never shown interest in Nintendo's ecosystem.

That may be true, but Sonic games do really well on Nintendo systems (And, as Neoxon mentioned, Sonic's Amiibo is the 6th best selling figure in the lot). You'd think SEGA would still push for a Nintendo release to maximize profit.

Nanashrew

Banned
tumblr_oaqxhzRt1n1r0fu7go1_540.gif

I'm hyped. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the first video game I ever played and I'm pretty nostalgic for the genesis games.

I love this bright blue title screen so much. Everything I've seen of it, the color pallet and animations are like CD/Saturn era stuff and it's gorgeous.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My guess is, that as it's being developed outside of SEGA, they just don't have the NX devkits to work with and so can't announce it for the platform.

Then Nintendo should get them some. They have invested quite a bit with getting Sonic associated with Nintendo this gen (exclusiveness of the series for the whole lifespan of Wii U), the game is coming close to NX's release, if the team is willing to port it to NX, Nintendo shouls send them a dev kit.

Then Nintendo should get them some. They have invested quite a bit with getting Sonic associated with Nintendo this gen (exclusiveness of the series for the whole lifespan of Wii U), the game is coming close to NX's release, if the team is willing to port it to NX, Nintendo shouls send them a dev kit.

Nintendo's probably scared to death something will leak.

They really should unveil the damn thing.

Ash735

I have no idea what is going on.

They just tried their hand at going old school with , what was it, episodes 1-4, didn't they?

Why are they doing this again?
Because Sonic 4 was made to try and force Modern Sonic into a weird mishmash of old and new styles, but with broken physics and badly designed levels and seriously bad music/scraps from Jun's work.

Where as this is made by the guys who did the Sonic CD, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 ports on the Retro Engine, people who have studied the original games back to front, inside out, and have a real passion for the series and have proven themselves by working on the older titles (INCLUDING an unreleased port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles).

This time they've been allowed to make something in a vision they'd think the series would have progressed, which is why now the style has been designed as if the game is running on an overcloked 32X.and the music is being done by this guy:

https://youtu.be/0LgXb27ZF70

https://youtu.be/r32BPMkuIv8

https://youtu.be/Jixl-ZV8HTg

Smellycat

Wow color me surprised. That looks pretty good

NX logo on the 3D Sonic game, but not on this.

I wondered that too. Maybe SEGA didn't get dev kits in time to start development on NX. It is definitely not a graphical game, so I see so no reason for them to not port it or release it. Unless the NX is not launching in spring 2017

This looks INCREDIBLE. Exactly what I've wanted for twenty years.

With Taxman the physics should be great. The aesthetics are superb. Looking forward to seeing his level designs.

OVDRobo

I don't know...

This isn't really a way forward for Sonic. Even if the game's fantastic it's still an upfront nostalgia ploy. I know a lot of people have been waiting for this kind of thing to happen and I hope they enjoy their moment (assuming it's not another Sonic 4), but I've got my eyes more on how Sega want to solidify Sonic in the now rather than how many times they want to revisit 25 years ago to try and recapture that lightning in a bottle.

I'm excited, of course, and if it's a good game I'll definitely buy and play it. Just so long as this doesn't become the only thing that Sonic is if it succeeds and the new Sonic Project bombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom