• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

Seeing this gameplay footage makes me want to replay Hidden Palace Zone in the Sonic 2 Android/iOS release.

That boss music.

That warp sound.

"Lights Camera"

Rings coming towards the camera.

So many animation frames.

Also heard the Sonic 3 Hydrocity fan spinning sound in the popcorn machine.

Hello Kitty was at the event.
Hello Kitty is a cat.
Cats eat mice.
Mouse is singular of mice.

Stealth Mickey Mania game announced!

Perhaps there's more to this game than just the original GHZ for nostalgia notes?

jax

Banned
Just played this for like 2 hours straight. It's incredible. The game we've been waiting 20 years to play.

TAFK

First I saw the title and thought it would be a Mario-Maker ripoff but pleasantly surprised that it is just a return to form for sonic. Here is hoping they change it up a bit so it doesn't just feel like Sonic 5.

This game looks great, but I'm still a little skeptical since this isn't the first time Sega attempted to "return back to Sonic's roots". I don't think I need to remind everyone of Sonic 4...

That was made by dimps, who made the garbage rush games.

This is being made by, among others, Christian Whitehead who made the sonic 1, 2 & CD remakes. Music seems good, graphics look great, physics seem right, only thing that's in question is the level design, which seemed good from the snippets of studiopolis that we've seen.

Just played this for like 2 hours straight. It's incredible. The game we've been waiting 20 years to play.

Oh man. How's the studiopolis level design? How much does green hill zone diverge from the original after what we've already seen?

Yazuka

I never thought I'd see the day when I would be super hyped for a Sonic game again. This looks fantastic! Really looking forward to this now.
Thank you Sega!

cloudbot

Neo Member
Anyone notice the old Sonic sprite behind the new one in the trailer?

twosonics.png

Man, I remember when Taxman posted that initial Sonic CD Retro Engine proof of concept years back. I'm amazed it's all led up to this.

clav

GamerJM

Banned
I KNOW RIGHT? RAYMAN GOT 2D GAMES
METROID IS GETTING A NEW 2D FAN REMAKE
AND THEN THERE'S THIS GAME

Gimme a 2D Mario platformer with sprites resembling the 2D art in Mario World 3D Ninty!

I really want Nintendo to do it but they clearly won't because it doesn't make much business sense. The NSMB games sold like gangbusters and the 2.5D style is probably a lot more cost efficent. There's a reason none of their several 2D platformers across the 3DS and Wii U this gen use sprites.

Fredrik

Eh, it is a way forward for Sonic. It's essentially what NSMB was for Mario.
I don't agree with that, NSMB was still somewhat modern with 3D graphics even though the gameplay was 2D, didn't look like a NES game in any way. Sonic Mania looks and plays like a Megadrive game, it's more like Megaman 9 than NSMB, or a compilation of levels from Mario Maker without the ability to make new levels. Could still be fantastic though but personally I don't see it as a step forward.

Tizoc

I really want Nintendo to do it but they clearly won't because it doesn't make much business sense. The NSMB games sold like gangbusters and the 2.5D style is probably a lot more cost efficent. There's a reason none of their several 2D platformers across the 3DS and Wii U this gen use sprites.

Eh no offense but I don't buy it; Ninty can make a 2D sprite-drawn platformer and people would buy it regardless long as the gameplay is good, which it usually is.

KingBroly

Banned
No, like "I can recreate these games 100% faithfully in a cross platform game engine, will you pay me?" and eventually they said yes.

And now they're finally making classic Sonic games again.

They're not 100% faithful. They're close, but definitely not 100%.

I'll say I'm disappointed that there is no NX version (as there's clearly no NDA about trailer logos and whatnot in regards to it which means it's not happening or it'll be late), but if it's good, I can still get it on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom