• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
No, the iOS/Android versions of S1/S2/CD. They used all the original art and whatnot, but they were actually remade on Christian Whitehead's own Retro Engine with incredible accuracy.

No, official remakes. Sonic 1 and 2 are available on mobile and Sonic CD is available on mobile, PC, 360, and PS3.

You've never seen them?

They're amazing versions, I just wish they were released for current consoles along with S3&K, I'd buy them all in a heart beat.

No, like "I can recreate these games 100% faithfully in a cross platform game engine, will you pay me?" and eventually they said yes.

And now they're finally making classic Sonic games again.

PLxrd7M.gif

Huh. Interesting. Never knew about these.

KingBroly

Banned
Fair.

They "play" faithful to the originals is probably a better way to put it.

I just see them as "Special Editions" like the original Star Wars trilogy. Not what the final product was, and how it should be remembered. It's like SMB All-Stars. Prettier graphics and physics changes take away from it, IMO.

OMG, the old time-y Eggman in the sign just a bit after this.

I love all the details. The Daytona USA/Streets of Rage references. The spinning Sonic signs. The SegaSonicPopcorn machine. The hidden Fire elemental shield behind the Hornet transitional vehicle. How reminiscent the color choices are with the bold pop art style of the Japanese box art. Even this new looking up Sonic sprite, which is just adorable and characterful than his original "head rotates upwards" sprite

CoBZ8OFWEAQqJS8.jpg

Guess Who

Banned
I just see them as "Special Editions" like the original Star Wars trilogy. Not what the final product was, and how it should be remembered. It's like SMB All-Stars. Prettier graphics and physics changes take away from it, IMO.

I am honestly baffled that anyone could find the incredibly minor, utterly-imperceptible-to-anyone-but-the-most-obsessive-fans differences in the Retro Engine Sonic games to be dealbreaking, especially given how much they add.

Xellos

Feels good to know that this is coming from developers who have a good understanding of 16-bit Sonic, from the looks and the music to the controls. Can't wait.

I respect the purist angle, but it's not like the originals are being taken away from us ...

Also, it led directly to this!

I am honestly baffled that anyone could find the incredibly minor, utterly-imperceptible-to-anyone-but-the-most-obsessive-fans differences in the Retro Engine Sonic games to be dealbreaking, especially given how much they add.

Agreed. I seriously would pay a full MSRP of $60 for 1, 2, 3&K & CD all in one package. Especially if it was cross-buy with PS Vita. Speaking of, I wish Mania was on Vita, but I guess it is time to move on. Just hope the engine is efficient enough on PC to run on the GPD Win!

Edit:

I love all the details. The Daytona USA/Streets of Rage references. The spinning Sonic signs. The SegaSonicPopcorn machine. The hidden Fire elemental shield behind the Hornet transitional vehicle. How reminiscent the color choices are with the bold pop art style of the Japanese box art. Even this new looking up Sonic sprite, which is just adorable and characterful than his original "head rotates upwards" sprite

CoBZ8OFWEAQqJS8.jpg

This is perfect. Thank you for pointing this out.

KingBroly

Banned

When time changes takes a bit longer it does become a problem in certain areas of the game, especially in a game where the terrain is designed to prevent you from doing so.

I respect the purist angle, but it's not like the originals are being taken away from us ...

Playing the original is kinda hard to do in this day and age. Heck, it was hard when it came out cuz the Sega CD was shit.

And I'm not saying it leading to this is bad, I'm just saying I prefer playing a game the way it was meant to be played. Some games I can't imagine playing any other way. All the little nicks and tricks get ingrained on one's mind.

clav

Agreed. I seriously would pay a full MSRP of $60 for 1, 2, 3&K & CD all in one package. Especially if it was cross-buy with PS Vita. Speaking of, I wish Mania was on Vita, but I guess it is time to move on. Just hope the engine is efficient enough on PC to run on the GPD Win!

Too bad we probably won't see definitive 3&K until the year 2080 due to public domain rules.

Will any of us still be alive then?

JonCha

Christian Whitehead as Lead, Stealth on the team as Headcannon, Tee Lopez doing the music, the art style of the game being based on an overclocked 32X and running in the Retro engine.

Well, what more could classic fans want, I'm actually very interested.

Exactly this. I understand the low expectations here but I feel like there were some people before the announcement who wanted this and are now complaining that they want something else.

Haunted

Now that's pretty much perfect. Right companies, right style, right approach. Exactly what the fans of those classic games have been hoping for.

are you familiar with KingBroly particular brand of glass is always half empty style of posting?

Zero Suit Samus could pop out of the TV with a brand new 2D metroid and promise him a blowjob, and he would still find something to whine about.

"I wanted Varia Suit Samus tbh..."

buzzth

Guess its confirmed to not be coming to NX huh.. Still I am quite excited, that trailer music was especially the thing that hyped me up!

Too bad we probably won't see definitive 3&K until the year 2080 due to public domain rules.

Will any of us still be alive then?

I know this is a joke, but don't you think Sonic Mania implies that they are ready to do that afterwards?

Unless you mean to say SEGA may not have all of the rights to the game, which would be weird because they have released it, just not in the Retro Engine with wide-screen and extra features.

RagnarokX

I don't agree with that, NSMB was still somewhat modern with 3D graphics even though the gameplay was 2D, didn't look like a NES game in any way. Sonic Mania looks and plays like a Megadrive game, it's more like Megaman 9 than NSMB, or a compilation of levels from Mario Maker without the ability to make new levels. Could still be fantastic though but personally I don't see it as a step forward.

3D graphics are just a lot more versatile than sprites. With sprites you basically have to draw every frame of animation by hand but with 3D models you can just make the model and animate it. The difference between sprites and 3D models is purely an artstyle choice in these cases. Nintendo has shown that they can stick sprites into the NSMBU engine with SMM and likewise I'm sure they could make a 2D Sonic that used models instead of sprites and still played like this. In fact, how do we know that's not what they're doing? SMM's SMB, SMB3, and SMW graphics styles work by just replacing the texture of the models with textures that look like sprites, but they're still models. Isn't that how most modern "sprite" games work?

I suppose I will agree that it's not as big a movement forward as NSMB from SMW, but it certainly is a movement forward from S3&K from what I've seen so far. I think particularly with Sonic they have to be careful, because some of the things that helped move 2D Mario forward were additions like wall jumping from the 3D games, but those kinds of additions to Sonic in 2D would be detrimental. They tried to put 3D Sonic moves into 2D games and they just made things worse. Sonic was already as versatile as he needed to be in the moves department, so really the innovation needs to come from level design (an area Sonic has been SORELY lacking in since the departure of Yasuhara).

Guess Who

Banned
When time changes takes a bit longer it does become a problem in certain areas of the game, especially in a game where the terrain is designed to prevent you from doing so.

If I recall this was at least partially patched in the mobile versions of SCD. (Console and PC versions didn't get the patches/bugfixes the mobile ones did due to cert costs and being handled by a different dev team.)

clav

I know this is a joke, but don't you think Sonic Mania implies that they are ready to do that afterwards?

Unless you mean to say SEGA may not have all of the rights to the game, which would be weird because they have released it, just not in the Retro Engine with wide-screen and extra features.

Seems clear that SEGA still wants to avoid legal trouble considering Michael Jackson's involvement in Sonic 3 + other artists would require negotiating a contract for payments since those are their works.

2080 would be the year that will clear Sonic 3 unless the public domain law gets revised once again.

aadiboy

Looks more along the lines of Sonic 2 instead of Sonic 3&K. I'm still excited, but would prefer the Sonic 3&K gameplay style, but of course it may be too early to judge that.

Rlan

Keen to know how long this has been in development. Feels like it was only a year ago when Chris and Co were asking fans to tell Sega to get them to make a Sonic 3&K remake.

Also, maybe hinting at the end? I mean the credits were set to the Sonic 3&Knuckles credits, but with widescreen. Hmm!

Looks more along the lines of Sonic 2 instead of Sonic 3&K. I'm still excited, but would prefer the Sonic 3&K gameplay style, but of course it may be too early to judge that.
3&K was mostly level design magic, and it's hard to see that being duplicated. But even 1/2 quality levels will make for an excellent game if the physics and controls are right (which should be the case here).

Well, I'm not really into playing classic games on a touchscreen, but okay.
This is the only problem I had with those ports. The tyranny of no physical buttons.

woopWOOP

Looks neat! I dig the animation on the title screen

I'm guessing it's another partial remix of old and new zones, but with new level layouts for the old ones?

Looks absolutely great! This might be the Sonic game I have waited 22 years for!

Looks like Sonic Team is nowhere near it, which I'm happy with.

clav

3&K was mostly level design magic, and it's hard to see that being duplicated. But even 1/2 quality levels will make for an excellent game if the physics and controls are right (which should be the case here).

This is the only problem I had with those ports. The tyranny of no physical buttons.

Touchscreen controls made completing Sonic 2's special stages impossible.

I can't get all the emeralds.

Guess its confirmed to not be coming to NX huh.. Still I am quite excited, that trailer music was especially the thing that hyped me up!

I wasn't too worried about this until I realized that depending on what the NX is, we could get a portable version if it came to it! Now I hope they didn't have it in the trailer just because they haven't done any work on that version yet, but a port still has a possibility of coming! Now I really hope it comes to NX..

Seems clear that SEGA still wants to avoid legal trouble considering Michael Jackson's involvement in Sonic 3 + other artists would require negotiating a contract for payments since those are their works.

2080 would be the year that will clear Sonic 3 unless the public domain law gets revised once again.

It seems very unlikely that SEGA would care so much about avoiding legal work or fees that they wouldn't re-release one of their most acclaimed videogames of all time because of it. It seems like they want to appeal to the fan base of the classic games, we are getting an original classic Sonic game from Christian Whitehead/Taxman, it seems like SEGA is more likely than ever to re-release 3&K to me at least.

Believe what you want I guess, I just think it's silly to think they'd sit on such a popular game because of that.

clav

It seems very unlikely that SEGA would care so much about avoiding legal work or fees that they wouldn't re-release one of their most acclaimed videogames of all time because of it. It seems like they want to appeal to the fan base of the classic games, we are getting an original classic Sonic game from Christian Whitehead/Taxman, it seems like SEGA is more likely than ever to re-release 3&K to me at least.

Believe what you want I guess, I just think it's silly to think they'd sit on such a popular game because of that.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic because I was looking forward to Taxman's S3&K after Sonic 1/2/CD. Then the releases stopped. The engine was already there. What was the problem? Most likely the whole artist licensing thing since the first PC version of S3&K used different tracks. The version on the Steam arcade seems like a no frills ROM port that plays badly on laptops (non i3/i5/i7 hardware). My laptop can play Sonic CD fine thanks to the Retro engine, but it plays the Steam releases of Sonic 1/2 very poorly.

Now we have this game in 2017, which will do.

This looks like the most fan game looking official release I've ever seen but... there's something about seeing a retro looking Sonic game that makes me smile. For a $20 digital download, this will look like fun.

Guess Who

Banned
Well, I'm not really into playing classic games on a touchscreen, but okay.

Touchscreen controls made completing Sonic 2's special stages impossible.

I can't get all the emeralds.

I beat all three ports on an iPad with touch controls, beat all the time attack unlock requirements in SCD, and got all the emeralds in S2, and had a good time doing it. Never had a problem tbh.

But if you want, they all support controllers and are playable on TV boxes like the Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV 4th gen.

Pizza

The OG crew in a new retro-style sonic game?

Literally all I've wanted for YEARS. I'm beyond excited. Idc if it's exactly like the originals: in fact I hope it's not. I'd love to see a refinement on that gameplay with sick level design, and hopefully each character has their own levels that take advantage of their strengths as platformer characters.

Goddamnit I'm losing it

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love the artwork and animations. So much.

When do we get to see Tails and Knuckles?

And I'm so glad it's just Tails and Knuckles and not all of his shitty friends. Plus it doesn't look to be taking place in the "human world" like all the 3D games have since. I hate that about modern Sonic. Sonic looks better when he's in a colorful environment with robotic enemies and animals. Not in a grey boxy city with humans that don't even react to the fact that a giant blue hedgehog and his friends are wandering around.

Maedhros

The mobile ports plays like shit with mobile controls. It just sucks... =/

I wanted then ported on PC...

I love the artwork and animations. So much.

When do we get to see Tails and Knuckles?

And I'm so glad it's just Tails and Knuckles and not all of his shitty friends. Plus it doesn't look to be taking place in the "human world" like all the 3D games have since. I hate that about modern Sonic. Sonic looks better when he's in a colorful environment with robotic enemies and animals. Not in a grey boxy city with humans that don't even react to the fact that a giant blue hedgehog and his friends are wandering around.

Dunno, would love to play with Amy in this...

JimiNutz

Banned
Love the idea but disappointed that they didn't clean up the graphics.
They can keep the original aesthetic and character design but also improve the graphics for modern times.

I beat all three ports on an iPad with touch controls, beat all the time attack unlock requirements in SCD, and got all the emeralds in S2, and had a good time doing it. Never had a problem tbh.

But if you want, they all support controllers and are playable on TV boxes like the Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV 4th gen.
Would prefer if the 1/2 remakes were just released on PC.

clav

On older versions of Android, the wiimote works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom