• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax

Banned
I think for most people, Mania is the big Sonic game for 2017. The trailer for Sonic Team's project gives me zero confidence it will be anything good.
The hype for 17 was higher than Mania, at the event anyway. People lost their shit when 17 was announced and it showed classic sonic. I personally think both games are going to be killer.

The hype for 17 was higher than Mania, at the event anyway. People lost their shit when 17 was announced and it showed classic sonic. I personally think both games are going to be killer.

That doesn't surprise me. If you're the type of person that attends a Sonic event in 2016, you probably love 3D Sonic games.

That sounds like I'm being condescending, but I'm really not trying to be. People like what they like and that's totally fine with me.

Modern Sonic nowadays just looks like a grown up Sonic. (Weirdly I still think they consider him to be roughly 16~, because 25 would actually be an appropriate age for him now.)

Surta

The Sonic 17 trailer honestly just reminded me of Sonic CD. Mania looks FANTASTIC but I'm excited for it and Sonic 17 for different reasons. I'm really glad they both exist since it means everyone will be happy.

I had to cut this sprite out of the trailer. Shit looks too nice.

CoFR4tvXYAAo1To.png

I'm really glad they both exist since it means everyone will be happy.

That's a bit of a stretch considering there's still a outpour of folks wanting Adventure 3. Or just a straight 3D game with no/minimal 2D sections that's not Sonic Boom.

But they aren't gonna please everyone with how varied the modern titles have been since Adventure 1 so do whatever.

That's a bit of a stretch considering there's still a outpour of folks wanting Adventure 3. Or just a straight 3D game with no/minimal 2D sections that's not Sonic Boom.

But they aren't gonna please everyone with how varied the modern titles have been since Adventure 1 so do whatever.

I meant more that Sonic Mania is an appealing game to those who like 2D, or sprite-based, oldschool games, etc., while the new game is something different. You know, "something old, something new..."

But yeah, I meant that more figuratively. I think we all know by now that it's going to be impossible to actually please everyone with a Sonic game.

Oh boy... here comes the fucking nitpicking...

It's the reason I could never bother to register on Sonic Retro... a bunch of old guys complaining about the smallest things everyday (around 2002~2009 it was simply impossible to be calm on that forum). And one of the reasons why I stayed away from Sonic for a long, long time.

You wouldn't be happy with anything they would give you, just admit it already.

I love how people want to extract anger that doesn't exist from a calm post. I was just stating why people are justified saying it looks like a fangame, because it shares a fair number of visual similarities as the majority of them. To be honest I don't much care, I do think the visuals are a bit too saturated and detailed but that's because it could become difficult to read the level layout at high speeds (the same trouble I had with Freedom Planet).

I meant more that Sonic Mania is an appealing game to those who like 2D, or sprite-based, oldschool games, etc., while the new game is something different. You know, "something old, something new..."

But yeah, I meant that more figuratively. I think we all know by now that it's going to be impossible to actually please everyone with a Sonic game.

Sega should just make Sonic Adventure 3 to appease the SA fans. I'm saying that with no love for the SA series, but I know how it is to want a continuation of a particular game/style and wait for a long time to actually get it. Mania is pretty much a continuation of the classic 2D style done right, basically picking up the spirit of Sonic 1-3&K and Sonic CD, a true sequel to those games(unlike Sonic Advance series, Sonic Rush and Sonic the Hedgehog 4, which while some are good and some aren't, feel NOTHING like the original series).

Though who knows, maybe the folks at Sega might get a hint considering how many people were chanting SA3 at the event. Obviously there's a fanbase for classic Sonic games(done right), and there is also a fanbase that would love a SA3 that invokes the feels of that series, brought to the modern gen.

Requeim

I am beyond happy about how this looks. Sonic 4 and S2HD both look terrible visually in my opinion, where this looks more like what you would expect from an actual Sonic 4. Good on them for finally trying out the Mega Man 9-like approach (and great choice of developers as well). I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the first sonic game after S3&K to live up to the original ones for me.

Sega should just make Sonic Adventure 3 to appease the SA fans. I'm saying that with no love for the SA series, but I know how it is to want a continuation of a particular game/style and wait for a long time to actually get it. Mania is pretty much a continuation of the classic 2D style done right, basically picking up the spirit of Sonic 1-3&K and Sonic CD, a true sequel to those games(unlike Sonic Advance series, Sonic Rush and Sonic the Hedgehog 4, which while some are good and some aren't, feel NOTHING like the original series).

Though who knows, maybe the folks at Sega might get a hint considering how many people were chanting SA3 at the event. Obviously there's a fanbase for classic Sonic games(done right), and there is also a fanbase that would love a SA3 that invokes the feels of that series, brought to the modern gen.

Sonic Adventure is weird for me because even going between 1 and 2, the games are very different.

Sonic Adventure focuses on one character at a time with a unique story and level order for each one, has adventure fields, the same levels are visited but have different objectives, designs, etc... Sonic Adventure 2 is linear and involves a lot of switching between different characters and gameplay styles.

I assume that a Sonic Adventure 3 would be more like SA1 since the more recent Sonic games are closer to the linear nature of SA2? That's what I'd be expecting from it.

Rising_Hei

Classics were never meant to be classics when they were released.
I'm tired of tings like this "new" Sonic, games like Setzuna and the such, stop pursuing "classic" because by doing that, games will never be.

Innovate, think outside of the box, break molds... that's how you make classics.

I'm tired of tings like this "new" Sonic, games like Setzuna and the such, stop pursuing "classic" because by doing that, games will never be.

Innovate, think outside of the box, break molds... that's how you make classics.

This is thinking outside the box. Grabbing developers and composers from the fan community and letting them make a major game for your IP isn't something that happens often.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

They did that with Unleashed's modern Sonic. Making a sequel to a type of game that hasn't been made in years, in a severely underserved genre, certainly is not a bad move. Too bad Sega does not want me to give them 70€ for a retail copy :(.

True, but there is a difference between thinking outside of the box and throwing shit on the wall to see what sticks. Being indecisive about what direction you want a franchise to take is never good. You need good ideas that will work, as well as innovating great concepts that already work.

Maybe they just want to make a great game and really aren't thinking of them as being future classics? The point of Setsuna and Tokyo RPG Factory in general is that there really aren't many JRPG's being built today as they were during the NES-PSone generations. It's not about making carbon copies of games from those generations as much as it's about bringing back certain aspects that people enjoyed about them and that still work today. A simple one is an old-school overworld instead of an open-world or selecting locations from a menu.

That's what they're doing with Sonic. And it's what Nintendo did with NSMB. They can recognize that there are some things those old games did really well and those aspects don't need to change, while also injecting new ideas into them. We've seen that Mania adds something called the drop dash and everyone that's seen and heard about it seems to have a positive view of it. It's a simple new mechanic that'll add a lot to the gameplay.

Innovation for the sake of innovation is what got the Sonic series to be the complete disaster state it was in. Let's take what works, perfect it, and build on it from there, first.

I think his model or look to him looks worse than that of the genesis as do the levels but this looks a lot better than 4 at least.

Now if we could just let ans make a new 2d mario game as all of the new mario games look and eel way off to me. As in, not very good compared to the nes/world versions

Developers should feel ashamed imo, ever since he went off weaker hardware the games couldn't look or feel right. I think keeping the classic base while adding a few siimpler moves make sense. The dash drop makes a lot of sense that doesn't change the base game that much. even rails are fine for some levels and such i the core gamepllay is there. It's when the change the core look and movement that it goes to shit

batfax

In what universe is using an older style that people liked a bad thing? It's done in other media all the time. People like thing, give them thing. Especially in a case like this when it's celebrating the series history rather than for the sake of it.

So don't play them?

It's been 22 years since we had a new Sonic game like this.

I could actually go further and say that 2D platformers have been in a bad place since Sonic & Knuckles was released. It's really only recently (NSMB series, DKR:TF) that the torch has been re-lit.

In what universe is using an older style that people liked a bad thing? It's done in other media all the time. People like thing, give them thing. Especially in a case like this when it's celebrating the series history rather than for the sake of it.

I doubt the games or character is still around if his later 2d titles or 3d titles were his first titles. Sonic adventure isn't that good to be completely honest, its liked a lot more because it's sonic and from games people really enjoyed prior

Guess Who

Banned
I don't mind them using pixel art for this game because it looks great. There are definitely games that use pixel art because they're low budget or are from indie devs without great artists, but this game appreciates pixel art as an artform. It's beautifully detailed and fluidly animated. That title screen animation is like a god damn 32-bit-era pixel orgasm. Fantastically done.

I don't mind them using pixel art for this game because it looks great. There are definitely games that use pixel art because they're low budget or are indie devs without great artists, but this game appreciates pixel art as an artform. It's beautifully detailed and fluidly animated. That title screen animation is like a god damn 32-bit-era pixel orgasm. Fantastically done.

Those games look better than the flat simple look of other 2d games and 3d 2d games hardly even look better than dkc on the snes. So, I see no reason to say mind or don't mind it just looks a lot better

This, absolutely.

Really can't help but be questioning of those being dismissive of this game on the basis of for looking like a "ROM hack" or a "fangame" among others. What about the other cosmetic stuff or (more importantly) the fundamental elements that the game actually looks to be getting right? Either accidentally or deliberately, they're missing the forest for the trees.

And to me, this behavior comes off as especially obnoxious, because attitudes like this was what got classic fans immediately got dismissed out of hand as "unpleaseable whiny retrofags who only want pixel perfect 2D rehashes of the classic games" when they pushed for their complaints against the last attempt at a classic Sonic game. And it goes without saying that any Genesis Sonic fan worth their salt knows that Sonic 4 got so much more wrong at being a classic Sonic game than this game looks to be doing.

You're so right. If you apply the same level of criticism to this as Sonic 4, you are seriously a nutcase that can't feel happiness. Time to stop being a fan.

KingBroly

Banned
Sonic Team's track record speaks for itself. The tone of that trailer was ridiculous.

Mind you, I don't even consider Colors or Generations to be great games. They're far better than every other 3D Sonic game (and I did enjoy them both to an extent), but to me, that's not saying a whole lot. I genuinely don't believe Sonic Team is capable of making a truly great Sonic game anymore.

Maybe if it was like...an homage to Sonic SatAM it'd be awesome, but yeah, the tone of that is...Sonic 06 esque.

Tidalwave

I definitely agree with this. Although I do feel like they're trying. Just not hard enough.

Kintor

Banned
Maybe if it was like...an homage to Sonic SatAM it'd be awesome, but yeah, the tone of that is...Sonic 06 esque.
I think that the tone of the teaser trailer perfectly matches the tone of the Sonic franchise as whole. People always point to the Green Hill Zone when they think of Sonic but they sometime forget that the Sonic franchise has always had dystopian and outright post-apocalyptic undertones. The design of the cityscapes in Sonic games are futuristic and decidedly cyberpunk, to say nothing of the menacing designs of Eggman's bases. Speaking of which, Sonic games often show what happens when Eggman has a chance to cause some damage: when he burnt down Angel Island Zone, in the bad ending for Knuckles Chaotix, not to mention all the bad future versions of every Sonic CD level. Sonic Team understands this well, that's why the teaser has the perfect tone.

Sciz

Absolutely gorgeous, top to bottom. I wouldn't mind a completely redrawn sprite instead of touching up the Sonic 2 assets, but the extra frames and color depth really freshen up the classic look. It's such a shame that the rush to 3D pushed out most of the 2D market in the 32-bit era. The handful of games that applied all of the lessons learned from the 16-bit generation look amazing.

Major props to the team. Everyone involved in this is living the dream, and it couldn't be in better hands without time traveling back to 1994 and stealing Yasuhara away.

Dying to know how the fuck anyone managed to convince Sega to greenlight this.

PagodaWest was initially formed by some folks who worked on Sonic 2 HD.

Aha, no kidding? I wondered who that last group was and how they picked up Tee. Happy to see they found success. Inmates running the asylum now, I love it.

Yoooooo

Even small changes like this means alot for Sonic fans.

That's a holdover from Sonic 1's remaster.

Dinjoralo

I think that the tone of the teaser trailer perfectly matches the tone of the Sonic franchise as whole. People always point to the Green Hill Zone when they think of Sonic but they sometime forget that the Sonic franchise has always had dystopian and outright post-apocalyptic undertones. The design of the cityscapes in Sonic games are futuristic and decidedly cyberpunk, to say nothing of the menacing designs of Eggman's bases. Speaking of which, Sonic games often show what happens when Eggman has a chance to cause some damage: when he burnt down Angel Island Zone, in the bad ending for Knuckles Chaotix, not to mention all the bad future versions of every Sonic CD level. Sonic Team understands this well, that's why the teaser has the perfect tone.

It still showed all that in a colorful, cartoon-esque style. The teaser's presentation is far more gritty than those games in the examples.

There are two types of people in this thread, and there's no convincing each other, probably.

But you're crazy if Sonic Mania didn't stir something in you, after all these years.

Generations 2? I'll pass, heh.

Kintor

Banned
It still showed all that in a colorful, cartoon-esque style. The teaser's presentation is far more gritty than those games in the examples.
You see, when I think of Sonic's art style I don't necessarily think of 'colourful' but rather 'vibrant', saturated in detail; like Scrap Brain Zone or even Lava Reef Zone. Referring back to idea of cyberpunk I mentioned earlier, muted colour palettes can still be vibrant and full of life. So I look at the ruined cityscape in the trailer I think that it matches perfectly with the tone of the Sonic franchise, the area may be a mess but it's a vibrant mess. Even Sonic Mania's Studiopolis Zone is a great example of this, blue and purple hues at night time but still saturated in detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom