• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania Delayed on PC - Now coming August 29th (free Sonic 1 for prepurchasers)

I think he's implying that they should've given out something that doesn't exist in 95% of this audience's library.

Seriously though, who's the person perordering Sonic Mania who doesn't have a copy of Sonic 1? Not only that but the game is constantly on sale for a dollar.

Oh I get that, I guess.

And yeah I don't own Sonic 1 on Steam but that's because I own it on like 3 other things. It is a very odd choice of game.

Why isn't Heroes on Steam yet anyway? It had a Pc version.

mcmmaster

Fuck this, like an idiot I pre-purchased on Bundle Stars and already redeemed it.

I'm going to be even more pissed if the rest of the games Zones get spoiled to me towards the wait to the 29th.

Puruzi

Banned
tfw you don't have any next gen systems and you were really hyped for the PC version

FjC9qRE.png

The cynic in me believes this is the exact reason for the PC version delay. =/

"Ah man, I was going to get it on PC, but I'll pick it up on <console here> so I can play it and then PC later."

Then at the beginning of September they announce a physical version.

Evilmaus

They've absolutely done the right thing, and then gone a step further by offering a free copy of Sonic 1 to people who pre-ordered.

The current trend of releasing broken games and then fixing later via patch needs to stop.

Same. I considered buying a Switch earlier than planned for Sonic Mania, but it's lack of a decent D-Pad (even on the Pro controller, apparently) means I'd rather get it for another system. And since I own both a PS4 and Vita, I can still play it on a portable via Remote Play.

One thing is to give Sonic 1 ROM, which is bad, because everybody in Steam probably owns it.

But much worst is to give Heroes, that would send the signal you actively hate your PC userbase or something.

Aselith

At least now you get a good Sonic game for your preorder!

The real joke is that there are no good Sonic games

A free copy of the Sonic Mania OST would have been better. I know game development isn't easy but it would have been less painful if they had told us weeks ago and not four days till release.

jholmes

The free Sonic 1 thing is like adding insult to injury.

I hope it's at least a code so I can give it to somebody.

They've absolutely done the right thing, and then gone a step further by offering a free copy of Sonic 1 to people who pre-ordered.

The current trend of releasing broken games and then fixing later via patch needs to stop.

Broken is a strong word. I doubt it was "broken" but, you are right either way.

At least now you get a good Sonic game for your preorder!

The real joke is that there are no good Sonic games

Drive shitposting in a Sonic thread?

Wow

Original

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sounds more like a thinly-veiled anti-piracy measure to me than anything else tbh.

Delay the version that can be easily leaked.

Ugh fuck this. I was hoping for PC version now, holding out for a possible physical console version later. Sure as fuck don't want to triple dip.

J@hranimo

Banned
And what does it have anything to do with the PC delay ?

Possibly they don't want people to get access to the game early?

I mean what else is there to optimize in that version but not the console ones? Unless those are getting some patch the same day as Steam release.

NEO0MJ

That'd make sense, & I'd be perfectly fine with the delay if that's why.

Either way, I'm getting the Switch version, but the PC fans have my condolences for the wait. Hopefully your version turns out to be awesome when it's done.

Pretty sure robotrock was being sarcastic :p

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the delay was because Sega was worried about early piracy, since it seems capable of being run on a toaster.

Sounds more like a thinly-veiled anti-piracy measure to me than anything else tbh.

Ugh fuck this. I was hoping for PC version now, holding out for a possible physical console version later. Sure as fuck don't want to triple dip.

I feel you. My only current gen console is a Swithc and lol @ going digital on a Nintendo platform. PC woulda been perfect, especially cuz I could use the SLS Saturn pads.

gelf

I'd rather a delay then a broken release but it's very disappointing I'll have to wait. Not getting it elsewhere, I'm using my Saturn pad.

I wonder if publishers really fear those day one Steam reviews in case a game gets review bombed for having certain issues and the overall score never recovers even after patches fix things. User reviews are much less noticeable on consoles.

Tarin02543

Time to get spoiled about every stage before I even get to play the game...

This.

The game will be exposed to me no matter what, be it through neogaf, twitch or other channels.

I agree that releasing broken games first and patching later needs to stop, but this is a bad move.

also why can't they understand that we sonic fans finally want the taxman versions of S1/2/3 on Steam! Everybody and his/her grandma already own the Sonic 1 ROM.

I mean what else is there to optimize in that version but not the console ones? Unless those are getting some patch the same day as Steam release.

That's bs. You can't access the Steam version until it's unlocked. People leaked it on Switch.

I mean they don't owe people anything, it's just a nice gesture.

Eh yes, they do. A pre-order is a contract. They're legally binded. You really think they do that as a "nice gesture" ? A nice gesture would've been giving us the Taxman version of Sonic 1.

Unless you guys are talking about something else, the guy who got it early and streamed it had the Switch version.

Even then, I still don't get what delaying the game fixes even if it was the PC version...

Guess Who

Banned

Nah. I joked about coercing people into double-dipping, but the only real explanation for a delay this late - four days before launch - is that they found a showstopping issue at the last minute. If it was anti-piracy, they would've A) just Denuvo'd it or B) just set the PC release later to begin with.

When you delay a game four days from launch, you know it's going to piss off the fans. You don't do that unless you absolutely have to.

Eh yes, they do. A pre-order is a contract. They're legally binded. You really think they do that as a "nice gesture" ? A nice gesture would've been giving us the Taxman version of Sonic 1.

They're delaying this for quality purposes. You really want them to spend some of that time porting Taxman Sonic 1 to PC? The game is coming and they're making sure it's good enough. The delay sucks but it is what it is.

J@hranimo

Banned
That's bs. You can't access the Steam version until it's unlocked. People leaked it on Switch.

Unless you guys are talking about something else, the guy who got it early and streamed it had the Switch version.

Even then, I still don't get what delaying the game fixes even if it was the PC version...

That's what I mean though. It's just a terrible coincidence I suppose. I can't see what they wouldn't have seen prior to yesterday that needed to be fixed.

They're delaying this for quality purposes. You really want them to spend some of that time porting Taxman Sonic 1 to PC? The game is coming and they're making sure it's good enough. The delay sucks but it is what it is.

Sorry if I feel like this is a lame excuse. And actually, yes. I'd take that time for a Taxman Sonic 1 port to PC. I'd take 2 additionnal weeks in fact.
The delay sucks, it's not what it is. Can we just please stop acting like "they owe you nothing, stop being entitled" thinking ? It's like stockholm syndrome. I paid for a game, they owe me a game.

Sorry if I feel like this is a lame excuse. And actually, yes. I'd take that time for a Taxman Sonic 1 port to PC. I'd take 2 additionnal weeks in fact.
The delay sucks, it's not what it is. Can we just please stop acting like "they owe you nothing, stop being entitled" thinking ? It's like stockholm syndrome. I paid for a game, they owe me a game.

You're getting your game. It just isn't ready yet.

Top Bottom