• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania Delayed on PC - Now coming August 29th (free Sonic 1 for prepurchasers)

Ristifer

Yes.

I do think that it's more likely that he's commenting on DRM in Sonic Mania.

Because when I actually look at his Twitter, I notice that he:

1) rarely tweets at all
2) tweets about Sonic Mania far more than anything else for the past year, with some general gaming comments sprinkled throughout
3) does not tweet at all about news

So, the timing of a tweet about DRM mere moments after the PC delay is announced does not strike me as a coincidence.
:/

Ramune

Refunded my Steam Pre-Order (my Collector's Ed was a Steam code anyway) and just Pre-ordered on PS4. Funny my Sonic 1 Rom is not listed in my Mega Drive & Genesis Classics list anymore, but it's still listed in the simple launcher.

Adding to why people would want the Taxman versions of Sonic 1 and 2, the audio! Main Gawt, the audio is pretty bad with the emulator they have in the Steam Shell. With Taxman's version you get the accurate and even remastered OSTs. Hope it happens one day!

Blackage

Kinda sucks, but it is what it is I guess.

Just gotta resist the urge to switch to other platforms for 2 weeks.

Tagyhag

Should have given out Lost World or Generations. Everyone already has Sonic 1 lol.

Either way, better to delay it than it coming out like crap.

SoulUnison

Banned
Should have given out Lost World or Generations. Everyone already has Sonic 1 lol.

Really random tangent, here, but does Nintendo get royalties or something for the Steam version of Lost World?
It's a really odd port. Like, they didn't even remove a couple functions that are blatantly Gamepad based.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this Taxman version of Sonic 1?

Taxman's Sonic 1 port...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.sonic1px&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/sonic-the-hedgehog/id316025912?mt=8

Sonic 2 port...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.sonic2&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/sonic-the-hedgehog-2/id347411942?mt=8

Sonic 1 is ad supported free to play, so you can always check it out on your phone or tablet or whatever. Sonic 2 is not add supported.

What person do they think is interested in getting Mania for PC that doesn't already have Sonic 1? I agree with whoever said Lost World or Generations should have been offered up instead.

Yukinari

This could be another tangent on its own but i hate that someone in the comments used that miyamoto quote.

Star Fox Zero got delayed and its still a mediocre flop.

People will just buy Mania on Switch or PS4 and PC sales will be a bit less.

Shadio

What person do they think is interested in getting Mania for PC that doesn't already have Sonic 1? I agree with whoever said Lost World or Generations should have been offered up instead.

I think any of the other classics would've been a better choice. Sonic 1 kind of feels like it has the least in common with Mania, and the rest of the games really. Mainly because of its relatively slower pace.

I think any of the other classics would've been a better choice. Sonic 1 kind of feels like it has the least in common with Mania, and the rest of the games really. Mainly because of its relatively slower pace.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles would have been a better pick - it has more in common with Mania, it's more obscure (I know a ton of people IRL who only ever played Sonic 1 and 2, even back during the Genesis days), it doesn't have a blatantly superior port (thus less a slap in the face compared to 1 or 2), and it'd mean Sega would actually acknowledge its existence.

Really though, they should have given people an option or $5 off their preorder or something. But realistically they picked Sonic 1 because they know many of the Steam users interested in Mania already have it, so they don't have to pony anything up.

Top Bottom