• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania Delayed on PC - Now coming August 29th (free Sonic 1 for prepurchasers)

Ramune

They should've knuckled down and given us S3K instead.

Ha ha, I bought that last Wednesday. Honestly there isn't much they could do for hardcore Sonic fans in this case. Already have a YouTube pop up for PC gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy4LuQe1ARI&feature=push-u&attr_tag=tLxxKagEHcJtQMz1-6

Y'all can tell me how it is since I'm on blackout (pretty much looked away from the side "Recommendations").

Edit: Video is just a tongue in cheek response to the PC delay. ^_^;

Eblo

They should've knuckled down and given us S3K instead.

What's really disappointing is that the Game Gear games haven't seen PC releases like the Genesis titles. Sega has a Nack for rereleasing the classic games, so I hope to someday see Sonic Triple Trouble on PC.

Welp, I was planning on buying a second copy anyway for PS4 for the avatar set. Shame for the delay, tho.

At least I get to collect them sexy trophies tho.
sIId5QY.png

They delayed (a version of) a Sonic game to make sure it was higher quality. How can there be any more proof we've switched to some strange alternate timeline?

Good thing I was going to double-dip with the Switch.

Its always a hard choice but I think a short delay on PC is almost always better then launching on fire and fixing it over a few weeks.

Its a demanding market. People would also be moaning "why didnt they delay it to fix it" if it launched wobbly.

Lijik

Sorry if I feel like this is a lame excuse. And actually, yes. I'd take that time for a Taxman Sonic 1 port to PC. I'd take 2 additionnal weeks in fact.
The delay sucks, it's not what it is. Can we just please stop acting like "they owe you nothing, stop being entitled" thinking ? It's like stockholm syndrome. I paid for a game, they owe me a game.

And you're getting that game two weeks later, they dont owe you an unrelated port on top of that. Get over yourself its not stockholm syndrome because people understand why expecting an out of nowhere port for free is unrealistic.

Spade

Welp. At least they're saying why it's delayed. Time to prepurchase on PS4, XB1, or Switch.... whichever lets me access soonest.

Edit: I hope I can gift the copy of Sonic 1 to a friend considering I've owned it on PC for a while as well as on multiple other platforms.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Tweet is almost certainly a reference to the recent news story about a computer being infected by malicious code that was written into DNA as a proof of concept.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418044

Yes, but the timing of the tweet is suspect. And that story doesn't have anything to do with DRM.

Would not be surprised at all if the last-minute delay was due to unexpected issues with some kind of DRM implementation that would need to be worked out.

Arzehn

I see a lot of folks mentioning Switch, is anyone getting this for anything other than PC or Switch?

Probably most people, just that Switch owners have a tendency to declare the platform they are buying the game for. Something something perfect for Nintendo Switch.

robotrock

Banned
Probably most people, just that Switch owners have a tenancy to declare the platform they are buying the game for. Something something perfect for Nintendo Switch.
Lol too true. PC as well honestly.

"Can't wait to max this out on my gtx AMD, on the best place to play Steam!"

Tizoc

just realized the steam version of sonic 1 isnt the remastered version...

Yes sadly the remastered ones on iOS and Android did not get ported to other platforms for whatever odd reason.
However you CAN apply mods to Sonic 1 so it can have spindash (Sonic 1 plus) or to play Knuckles in Sonic 1. There is also an Amy in Sonic 1 mod that lets you play as Advance 1 style Amy through the Sonic 1 game.

Probably most people, just that Switch owners have a tenancy to declare the platform they are buying the game for. Something something perfect for Nintendo Switch.

Sonic games appeal to the type of gamer that buys Nintendo consoles. It's not really a shocking piece of news; despite the absolutely massive difference currently between PS4/Switch sales, it wouldn't be a bad bet to guess that the Switch version will sell more copies.

The Nintendo version of sonic games do typically sell the best, though I had a quick look for hard numbers and couldn't find the sega report I was thinking of to back that up.

Lijik

yall really think its more likely that he's cryptically announcing drm in sonic mania and not making a goofy joke about more pc-related ills becoming a part of dna now that we have dna malware.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I bought the Collector's Edition from Amazon, but still wasn't credited in my card. Is only me?

Sixfortyfive

Sonic games appeal to the type of gamer that buys Nintendo consoles. It's not really a shocking piece of news; despite the absolutely massive difference currently between PS4/Switch sales, it wouldn't be a bad bet to guess that the Switch version will sell more copies.

The Nintendo version of sonic games do typically sell the best, though I had a quick look for hard numbers and couldn't find the sega report I was thinking of to back that up.

That might be true, but in almost all multi-plat threads, you'll find that it's way more common for Switch owners in particular to announce that they're buying the game for their console of choice.

It's weird.

NotLiquid

That might be true, but in almost all multi-plat threads, you'll find that it's way more common for Switch owners in particular to announce that they're buying the game for their console of choice.

It's weird.

It's not that weird. It's a new console people are still hyped about that has a gimmick that'll give it a massive added benefit for simply being on the platform.

There was a lot of "excited to play this on PS4" comments when that console was brand new as well. Hell there are still tons of people talking about getting multi-plat games on their Vita years into that console's lifespan - just look at the Undertale PS4/Vita announce thread.

FSLink

Banned

It's weird.

It's a bit of Nintendo fanboyism, a bit of new console fanboyism, or sometimes both.
Either way kinda annoying.

It's weird.

Honestly I think you're just noticing it more. I see people say that they preordered something for their Vita, or on Xbox Live, all the time.

Of course, no one's about to do an actual survey so we'll never know for sure. And I do think Sonic Mania is something of a perfect sweet spot for the Switch audience.

This sucks.

So, when I'll finally be able to play Mania, which is the controller to go with and how about Saturn USB pads? Are they official and where to get them? Many thanks.

Ramune

This sucks.

So, when I'll finally be able to play Mania, which is the controller to go with and how about Saturn USB pads? Are they official and where to get them? Many thanks.

Saturn USB pads are kind of expensive now sadly. There was a period Play-Asia was selling them for dirt cheap (including a USB Virtua Stick). There ARE official pads, but there are also many knockoffs too. I can't attest to their quality though. There are also controllers that have "Play SEGA" that as far as I know are also official in quality (Sega in Europe even gave them out on occasion).

Probably most people, just that Switch owners have a tendency to declare the platform they are buying the game for. Something something perfect for Nintendo Switch.

Outside looking in, this is most likely how people saw us Vita users back when that was new (and to this day). ^_^;
Very passionate group!
I'd want more games too if I bought a Switch. For me, it would definitely be 90% Portable, so I see the appeal!

Let's give them a free Sonic 1 rom that most people interested on Mania already have. Nice joke, Sega. If only it was the enhanced mobile version I wouldn't be disappointed. I feel cheated that I won't be playing the game 4 days from now.

SoulUnison

Banned
"Sorry about this - here's an emulated version of a 26 year old game that you've probably played to death and most certainly already own."

If I wanted to play Sonic 1 I'd hook up my Genesis CDX.

Alienous

When you see what they've given away with Sonic Humble Bundles a free copy of Sonic 1 seems more like an insult to injury than a kind gesture.

How much more expensive would it have been to give away Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles and CD?

Nonsense. If you go into any thread you'll see "day 1 on xxxxxx platform".

The Dragon's Dogma thread for instance had multiple "Getting on PS4" comments. People who own a Switch aren't a hivemind.

Neiteio

A lot of people are excited to play this on the go. It's also going to look gorgeous on the Switch screen.

It'll be interesting to see the sales breakdown.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm okay with the delay, these things happens. What I'm worried about is that they might do it to push some crap like Denuvo on it. This tweet got me worried.

If they push Denuvo on it, I'll cancel my preorder and get a refund.

Ew, I'd cancel my pre-order over this.
Fuck Denuvo - it forces machines to work far harder than they should and increases wear and tear.
Even if just a tiny amount, I'm not shortening the lifespan of my rig to be punished for purchasing a product.

Berordn

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this Taxman version of Sonic 1?

The iOS and Android versions of Sonic 1 and 2 are completely remade in Taxman's retro engine, featuring accurate physics, widescreen display, and playable Tails and Knuckles (with their S3 movesets).

Sonic 2 features two new zones, a single act Hidden Palace Zone, and a new Boss Rush act as well.

Yes, but the timing of the tweet is suspect. And that story doesn't have anything to do with DRM.

Would not be surprised at all if the last-minute delay was due to unexpected issues with some kind of DRM implementation that would need to be worked out.

Uh...

yall really think its more likely that he's cryptically announcing drm in sonic mania and not making a goofy joke about more pc-related ills becoming a part of dna now that we have dna malware.

Sixfortyfive

Yes.

I do think that it's more likely that he's commenting on DRM in Sonic Mania.

Because when I actually look at his Twitter, I notice that he:

1) rarely tweets at all
2) tweets about Sonic Mania far more than anything else for the past year, with some general gaming comments sprinkled throughout
3) does not tweet at all about news

So, the timing of a tweet about DRM mere moments after the PC delay is announced does not strike me as a coincidence.

Top Bottom